Rapid Heartbeat with the slightest exertion
I am 6'2" and weigh 208 pounds.  I have been experiencing shortness of breath and a quickly accelerating heartbeat after climbing one or two flights of stairs. I had an EKG and it was normal. I tested negative for asthma. I had an electrocardiogram and that was normal as well. I did a stress test which showed that my resting heart rate of 80 doubled to 160 under the slightest exertion and that it took forever to come down after I stopped exercise. After 5 minutes on the treadmill I developed shortness of breath. My cardiologist thought that this was cause for concern but because I showed no blockages he didn't feel that I was likely to have a heart attack in the near future. He sent me back to my GP who is supposed to refer me to a pulmonary specialist.

Also of possible importance, I have Parkinson's Syndrome (not Parkinsons itself) and this presents with muscle toning and bradykinesia on the right side of the body. I have had this for 5 years and it is slowly but surely getting better.

Also, I have terrible GERD, as well as BFS (Benign Fasciculation Syndrome)

Does anybody have any thoughts as to why my heartbeat gets so rapid so quickly?

Also, my blood pressure is normal. The only medications I take are Wellbutrin for depression and Zantac for GERD. Finally, I have been chewing nicotine gum for years! after quitting chewing tobacco. I have never smoked.
Kamandi,

This sounds similar to some of the symptoms I have had.  But I also had pain.
My heart rate would increase especially from walking upstairs.  
I am not an expert, but based on personal experience I have a few questions and comments for you.
Do you ever get pain when this happens?
You stated "you showed no blockages"  how was this determined? From a CT scan or Angiogram?
I am not trying to alarm you, but you can’t rule out blockages with just an EKG or stress test. Even with nuclear stress tests, anything under 50% blocked may not show up.
As far as I understand, blockages can only be ruled out with CT scans or Angiograms.  
Also,have any doctors discussed a beta blocker with you.  That will slow down your heart rate.
Good luck.
I hope everything works out ok.
No, no pain at all.

I was told there were no blockages based on the results of the stress test, the EKG and the ECG.

Heart blockages do not run in my family and as I have low-normal cholesterol levels it i not something I have ever been worried about.

BFS is associated with exercise intolerance.Have you discussed this with your doctors? If you do not have pain, no signs on your tests of blockages (those tests relate just to the larger vessels and not 100%) but you do have shortness of breath and increased heart rate then a beta blocker may be helpful. The other thing to consider is the smaller heart vessel circulation within the heart muscle.Shortness of breath on very little exertion (flight of stairs) accompanied by increased heart rate is a sign with this small vessel involvement. And you don't have to have pain with it; just shortness of breath. Hope this helps. Joan.