Recovery
I,ve had 3 major surgeries since 12/21/07. The first was quadruple bypass the next 2 were because I got the MRSA infection twice. My last surgery was on 2/29/08. I am 61 years old ( 62) end of April. I am also a dieabetic, within reason what should my recovery time be....I had 3 flaps put in....1 across my chest left to right the other across my chest right to left, the third on the right side of my stomach. I have continious pain, I am told many nerve endings have been damaged
Hello Frank62,

I'm sorry I can't help with your questions, but I do want to welcome you to the Heart Forum.  I'm sorry to hear you've been through so much.   Does your doctor think the nerve damage may be causing the pain?  Has he/she offered suggestions on how to deal with the pain?  

I hope much better days are right around the corner!

connie
Frank, did your MRSA infection begin in the area of your sternal wound? Do you know if you have a vancomycin-resistant MRSA?

Being diabetic will aggravate healing of the wound, as you know. There are doctors and clinics that specialize in "wound healing".

I myself refuse to suffer from continuous pain in these days and times. You must not be timid in asking for the strongest of the pain relievers. If the narcotics do not work due to nerve damage, there are medicines that treat nerve damage. Have you had Prednisone treatment?

I take neurontin for peripheral neuropathy (PN) which is due to nerve damage. A newer version of a drug for the treatment of PN, Lyrica, has been out for 3 or 4 years. Many say that it works better than neurontin.

Keep your blood glucose levels under control! Keep us in touch please.

Good luck and remember to be very assertive and proactive in helping with your healing and pain control,

Jack
Thanks for the advice and concern, It has certainly been tough. the infection did start in the sterium area and then the pix line
I am Dr. Arch S. Miller. I am on the reconstructive forum. If your pain is being caused by an unstable sternum, there is a good chance it may be stabilized, and this may be alleviated. If you will go to the web site, rapidsternalclosure.com you will see a novel new way of closing the sternum. We have had good success with this and over 60 physicians are doing this procedure. If you have sternum left, it is possible we can stabilize you. You may call 918-492-2282 for further information, respectfully,

arch s miller md facs