Heart Disease Community
Skipped beats and drinking alcohol

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

Skipped beats and drinking alcohol

Been suffering from skipped beats now for sometime, doctor has done test's echo, blood, ecg, stress etc... says nothing to worry about?!? Cut everything out caffine, alcohol, smoking, drugs but still get them. Im getting really depressed about them because they cause me alot of anxiety/fear and discomfort. Does anybody know if i could start to get drunk again and if it would be dangerous because i want my life back as im only 25 and lead quite a social life :-(
Sorry to hear you're suffering with skipped beats.  Since you've had a cardiac workup and the doctor says they are nothing to worry about, you might find it helpful to focus your attention on what you can do to improve your chances for long-term cardiac health.  Drugs, (OTC, RX or illegal), alcohol and caffeine can all be triggers for the ectopic beats.  Not sure about smoking and pvcs.

Absent an underlying heart condition, the pvcs are not likely to cause you an physical harm.  Are you worried about the effects from the alcohol, cigs or drugs?  
What kind of drugs were you taking and are planning on taking again?  If its hardcore like cocaine be very careful.  Cocaine raises blood pressure when on a "high" in even young and healthy people with normal blood pressure.  When they experience the "cocaine high" their blood pressure is way over 200, and stays there until they come down from their high.  

Quite a few young people in their early twenties had strokes and heart attacks induced by using cocaine.
Yeah im worried that alcohol or smoking may cause my heart to have more skipped beats and maybe cause death :-(
From an Ex smoker..It DOES aggravate any arrhythmia you may have. As far as alcohol if your skips are benign you probably wont die, but will be uncomfortable for a while. I would advise staying away from anything that brings them on since they are so scarry and bothersome. Try to go to the bar/party and drink water...I do and still have a good time. No hangover and I never have to worry about a ride home.  
Sometimes it's an individual thing. I know folks with arrhythmias similar to mine and they can drink alcohol. If I do that, even one full beer, then I pay for it later with irregular beats. Some folks don't touch chocolate, I can eat a little each day with no trouble. Typically a few hundred skipped beats a day (not sure how many you have) in a healthy heart won't hurt you. Getting drunk on the other hand doesn't benefit your body very much (yeah, I'm a Mom - nag, nag, worry, worry). I understand wanting to hang out with friends and have a few drinks. But it might be best to talk it over with your doctor. If alcohol bugs your heart, then you might have to find another way to have fun. Sorry.
Try not to worry about the pvcs. Sounds like you've had a cardiac workup and the doctor has determined they are not medically significant.  Have you tried asking your doctor about the effects of alcohol and/or MJ on your pvcs?  Most family doctors understand the social life you describe and are willing to discuss the potential ramifications (if any). Although I had pvcs regardless of what I ate/drank, caffeine and alcohol would bring out the worst of them.  Like ireno said, if you find the alcohol or other things are catalysts to the extra beats, then you may have to modify your social habits : )  

We know that smoking (cigs) can lead to significant heart and lung problems.  In that regard, if you can quit (or reduce) your use, you'd be doing yourself a big favor.  Good luck!    
I will never take any strong illegal drugs, im talking about cannabis really. Smoked for a long time and never had any problems until about 4 years ago. Any results about skipped beats and smokers?? Have any died??
I thought anxiety was the major cause of skipped beats? I get them too and have been having them since I was your age approximately. I also drink and smoke. Therefore if you love smoking drinking and smoking the gear and you get more stressed when your not doing it. Your in a vicious cycle. Why not just get the stress under control and then get back to getting wasted.