Heart Disease Community
Skipping Heart Beat

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

Skipping Heart Beat

Hello, my name is Aaron and I'm a 30 year old male. For about the last couple of months I have been having what feels like to me a bad fluttering in my chest. Like my heart is doing flip-flops. I can feel my pulse when it does this and it feels like my heart stops for a bit then starts again. Here lately I have been so tired and I was wondering if the tiredness I am feeling is linked to whats going on with my heart? What is wrong with me?
Hi there.  Sounds like you are having PVCs (Premature ventricular contractions).  Everyone has them at some point in their lives, but not everyone feels them.  Normally the sinus node is the pacer for the heart.  Sometimes the ventricles become irritable and decide to try to "start a beat."  Since the beat is originating in the ventricles, the atrium does not contract for that beat.  Since the heart is refractory, the next time the sinus node (located in the right atrium) is ready to beat, it won't because the heart hasn't refilled from the PVC yet.  So it waits until the NEXT time it would usually beat. This is why you feel a pause in your pulse. It is not a missed beat, like it feels.  

Yes, they can make you tired, or they can come when you are tired.  Anxiety can make them worse, or they can make anxiety worse.  It seems like a catch-22 any way you look at it.  

Best thing to do is, if they don't go away in a day or so, make an appointment with your doctor to make sure your heart is structurally normal.  Once he says it is, you will learn to live with these, sometimes transient, sometimes...chronic, beats.

If you ever need support, please visit the heart rhythm forum where mostly all of us live with these daily!  
Yes, you can feel the "skipped" beats in your pulse.  I used to be bothered with these, and that's what I was told.  More times than not, they are more a nuisance than anything else. They can even take your breath away. I had svts (supra ventricular tachycardia), but was treated for a while with meds.  I haven't been bothered by these in over 2 years now.  Have you seen your doctor for this?   If not, you should, just to rule out any underlying problem. Many people live with some type of arrhythmia and do complain about how scary this can be. Take care, Ally
For what it's worth, when mine decide to kick in, I add a little potassium back into my supplements, that usually clears it up. Common triggers include too little potassium or magnesium in your diet. Remember, you should never start a supplement without speaking to your doctor first.

Also, mine almost always go away with exercise. If I'm have a bad day, I'll hit the bike or treadmill and run my heart rate up to about 130-140 BPM, that always takes them away. Again, you should discuss starting any exercise routine with your doctor as well.

Hope this helps,

Jon
Jon, funny you should say that.  I have them worse when I am relaxing after a long day.  However, it is usually a day I haven't had much exercise.  More like mental stress.  If I work out a bit, sometimes they settle down.  Which is ANOTHER catch-22 since if I am exercising and I start getting the REALLY flip flop feeling ones....I stop....LOL
If you want an excellent potassium supplement without asking a Doctor, eat a couple of bananas. You won't believe how good they are. I remember when my Wifes potassium dropped, and the pills the hospital gave her made her vomit badly. I got her to eat two bananas a day and we secretly threw the pills in the bin (not recommended I know) but two days later her potassium was totally normal. They had estimated 5-7 days using the pills.
Yea, these things are a royal pain. I can remember having them as a very young boy, if I stayed still I could feel my heart skip a beat. I wish I knew all the triggers, but that just may cause them to happen more often, who knows. I always feel them worse when I'm resting, at least they motivate me to exercise.

Jon
def sounds like pvc's but to ease your mind and make sure nothing else is wrong you could always ask for an ekg or 24 hr holter monitor

I've had arrhythmia's since I was 9 that progressively increased as I aged and exercise made mine worse...I would faint upon exertion and dr's still didn't think anything was wrong until I had an EP Study in August 2009. I have a very rare case though.

95-99% of arrhythmia's are benign but it depends on how many you're having, what kind, where they originate and any structural problems there may be.