Heart Disease Community
Swelling in area over pacemaker

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

Swelling in area over pacemaker

Had my pacemaker installed 4 months ago and have had problems with the skin over the device ever since.Last week, I had a small bubble grow on the residual swelling over the device and this burst;saw my surgeon and he has me on anti-biotics for the third time.I am told if the round of antibiotics does not bring down the swelling and leakage from the swollen area,the pacemaker will have to come out and be re-installed in another area.Would like any comments on this situation or references or advise.
It seems that your "pocket" is infected. Consider that there are the beginning of the leads that go directly to your hearth, this is the reason why they have to go to another place, continuing there you take the risk of the infection to propagate inside the heart.

I am surprised that if you have been like that during 4 months they have not taking that decision earlier.

Probably they change it to the right side.

Jesus
Was your pacemake installed for bradycardia? They suggested to me that once I develop symptoms this may be an option I should take. I have a "very" low hr.
Jesus,
Thanks for your reply to my post about pacemaker issues; I live in Guadalajara,Mexico.
Have now had pacemaker removed and much testing revealed no need for one.

The infection in the pacemaker area was staph!
Regards,
Derek Fi
Bill,
No my pacemaker was for cardiogram irregularities; after the infection was diagnosed as being staph, I had the pacemaker removed and further testing showed it was not really necessary.
Regards,
Derekfi