Heart Disease Community
Thoracic Aneurysm

A community of people with Heart Disease to guide and support your heart-health journey. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: symptoms, nutrition, and management.

Thoracic Aneurysm

Hi, I am 68 year old female with a clinical diagnosis of Thoracic aneurysm. A CT Scan done August 29, 2012 shows evidence of mild fusiform ascending thoracic aneurysm measuring 4.8 cm in maximum diameter. There is no evidence of dissections. The rest of the thoracic aorta appears to be within normal limits.
At this stage I am not a candidate for an operation... No treatment ... just to wait (7 months) for another CTS to follow... I am scare. Should I go for another opinion? should I trust the cardiologist and wait?
5.0 is the usual criterion for surgery, but you are close, which is probably  why the doctor is having you come back in 7 months rather than one or two years.  If the aortic valve is normal, then you got standard advice.  If the aortic valve is abnormal, some surgeons will operate before the aneurysm gets to 5.0.  A second opinion is never a bad idea when you are scared.  If you do choose to obtain a second opinion, it would be optimal for that to come from a cardiothoracic surgeon who is an expert at repairing thoracic aortic aneurysms.  Arch aneurysms, in particular, are tricky, so it is not too soon to start locating your expert surgeon for the day, if and when, you need an operation.  It could be as soon as seven months, as long as never, or somewhere in between.  The good thing is that you have time to figure out what you are going to do longterm.  Don't be scared, just be wise.  You probably have had this thing "in the works" inside you for many, many years, maybe decades.  You just didn't know about it, and now you do.  You've got time to get opinions and make plans.  I had a 5.5cm root/ascending aneurysm and am here to tell about it.  Good luck.
Oh, and blood pressure control is very important.

Thank you for your answer. I needed to know how people deal with this experience... I am stress just thinking... but I realize I can't do nothing... just wait and control my blood pression. The Dr. who saw me is Cardiac Surgeon, Heart faillure & thoracic Transplant. I guess he knows what is the best approach... I know my heart is healthy. Thanks again you did help me to see things from another point. My Best to you.
Tess
I know it is stressful.  You hear the word "aneurysm," and, if you are like me, all you can think about is, "get it out."  But it is a very major operation, and so, if you can postpone it for years or if you maybe even never need it, so much the better.  That's how the doctors think about it, and really, that's how it is.  When I found out about mine, I already needed surgery, and so I didn't have to go through a long time of waiting and going back to see if it was "big enough" to operate on.  But it's not an operation to look forward to, and so my advice would be to just try to enjoy your life, keep your blood pressure and your general health good, and keep your appointments for your check-ups.  Stop smoking if you smoke, get your weight down if you are obese, exercise regularly, and be happy.  If you have any new symptoms between checkups, such as chest pain, difficulty swallowing, or hoarse voice, call the doctor, and he will probably want you to come in to be checked sooner.  Try as much as you can not to worry, because it won't help anything.  Just do what you can do, let go of what you can't do, and enjoy life every day.