Urgent---blood clot near heart
My sister just emailed me that her BIL (her hubby's little bro) has a blood clot near his heart. He could die if the clot reaches his heart. He's 18 or 19 years old. And his name is Tyler! That's all I know and I'm really anxious about what's going to happen.

He's on blood thinners. Has anyone had experience with this before and shed some more light on it? How long would it take for the clot to go away? How does one develop one of these anyway? What are the chances he could live?

I'm visiting from the pregnancy forums. Any answers appreciated! Thank you!!!
Hi Joy,

I can't really comment too much other than to say it's good that they have discovered the clot, and hopefully, the medications will work efficiently and quickly.

Since the clot could be in a number of places, it's very hard to say exactly what's going on.....Do you know if they've mentioned called a PFO (patent foreman ovale)?  It's when you have a hole between the heart's chambers and blood clots can get through there.

Is he in the hospital on IV thinners?  

What have the doctors said about his chance for a complete recovery?  I wish I could offer more, but I'm just not very familiar with this particular problem.  Who is saying that "he could die......his heart"?  
I actually don't have any information beyond what I already typed out. Though the doctors do know that the clot is in his left arm (it was turning blue and purple, as well) and they are the ones who stated it could be fatal if it reached his heart. The exact words were, "There's nothing we can do". I assumed that meant he'd die, but I take it that it just means there's a chance he could die?

Thank you for your response and hopefully I'll be able to find some more info through research!!!
I certainly hope they weren't saying that to indicate he might die.  I would hope they would not be so calous (sp?) with something so potentially serious.

Keep us posted.  Here's hoping the medication is already tackling the clot and he is on his way back home soon.  

I'm so sorry you and your family are going through this.  It sounds very frightening.  I'm sending lots of positive thoughts and prayers your way.....
connie