Heart Disease Community
WHAT CAN HAPPEN?

Join others with Heart Disease and get guidance and support. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

WHAT CAN HAPPEN?

I JUST FOUND OUT FROM AN AUNT THAT MY FATHER WAS GIVEN MEDICATION FOR HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE. HE DIDN'T TELL MY MOM OR US, HIS CHILDREN. HE TOLD MY AUNT THAT HE WASN'T DOING TO TAKE THE MEDS. THAT HE DOESN'T BELIEVE DOCTORS OR THAT MEDS DO ANY GOOD. HE IS A VERY STUBBORN MAN. HE ALREADY HAS HIGH CHOLESTEROL AND NOW HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE. HIS DIET ISN'T GREAT EITHER. I JUST TOLD MY MOM OF FINDING THIS OUT AND SHE SAID THAT WE, THE CHILDREN, SHOULD TALK TO HIM BECAUSE HE DOESN'T LISTEN TO HER AND WHEN SHE DOES SAY SOMETHING HE GETS UPSET. IF HE DOESN'T TAKE THE MEDS WILL HE HAVE A STROKE OR HEART ATTACK? I AM VERY CONCERN AND I AM GOING TO CONVINCE HIM TO TAKE HIS MEDS. IF I HAVE TO USE MY CHILDREN AND MY SISTER'S KIDS TO CONVINCE HIM THEN I WILL. I JUST HOPE THAT HE COMPLIES.
Depends on how high his BP is.  Is it borderline and the doc's want to keep it under control or is it High and dangerous.  Maybe get a home blod pressure cuff and moniter.  Maybe that way he will see what his "norm" is.  I know my hubby runs high in the MD's office but is normal at home.   Once you see what it is at home bring the cuff to the doc's office with you and take it there and with your cuff just to make sure it is accurate.

He need to take some responsibility for his health.  BP and chol are tough though because you don't feel sick.   Find some info online through the amercian heart assoc and educate yourself and then him.
Well, I have a good friend who has high blood pressure, was given medicine to keep it down but didn't like to take it because it interfered with his love life. Result: his kidneys were destroyed and he needed a kidney transplant. That new kidney failed and he was on dialysis for years until there was finally another kidney available for him. Now he's on lots of meds for the rest of his life. His age? Mid 40's.

High blood pressure can damage internal organs. Please encourage him to take that one little pill now so he doesn't get stuck taking lots of pills later.
You may be able to influence your father to take the medication.  However, it is ultimately his decision.  Just let him know that uncontrolled HTN can lead to a lot more than taking medication.  The consequences can be quite serious.  Is he taking cholesterol lowering medication?  

We all like to feel we have some control over our decisions, so just be patient with him.  If he really doesn't want to take the medication, there are some ways he may be able to lower the BP on his own (diet, exercise).  You can be informative and supportive, but the decision is his....