Heart Disease Community
What could be a possible cause for high level of triglycerides?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

My dad recently got a blood test in which it showed a very high level of triglycerides. However his level of total cholesterol was intermediate. He's 62, and does tennis on a daily basis. He eats healthy and does not drink or smoke.

His cholesterol level is 231.0 mg/dl
and his triglycerides is at 583.0 mg/dl.  

He will get a second test to confirm his results, and go see a doctor. But what could have caused such a high level if he does not eat almost any fatting foods and does excersise daily? Thank you for your help.
Cholesterol and trigs are a complicated matter.  As Kenkeith and ChatterAlly mentioned, both ingestion of saturated fats and familial factors influence it.  On top of that there are types of Cholesterol.  LDL which is considered the bad type, and HDL which is considered a good type to have as it gets rid of the LDL.  

I wouldn't consider a total cholesterol level of 231 to be intermediate, I'd think that would in the high range or very close to it.  

If the second tests confirm the cholesterol levels, undoubtedly your father will be prescribed a drug like Vytorin which controls dietary and familial cholesterol, and I would bet he will be told to take a high quality fish oil supplement.  I take 2000 mg daily of Omega 3 fish oil and it really helped drop the trig level.  Exercise daily helps.  If dad needs to those some weight, the process of losing weight also brings down cholesterol and trig levels.  

Keep us informed.

Do a search on "familial hypercholesterolemia"  I have this.  My trigs were over 2100 a few months ago.  I take a statin now to control this.  

It is not fair!  One person can have very poor diet with large amounts of animal fat, and the total cholesterol level does not rise above desirable levels. Then another person can follow a strict low-fat diet, and the total cholesterol does not fall below a high level.

It seems the difference is mostly genetically determined. A person's genetic makeup influences the rate at which the body makes, uses, and disposes of these fats. Also, body type does not always predict levels of cholesterol. I didn't look up hyperchol....but I suppose that is the medical term.

The best one can do if there is a genetic component is reduce the risk with proper diet, exercise, etc. and it appears you are helping your husband with a proper diet, no smoking, etc.  Thanks for sharing and take care.

Keep us informed.

The quickest way to reduce trigs is to cut out empty carbs such as sugars, breads and pastas. Alcohol also metabolizes as sugar and can increase trigs so it should be eliminated as well.

Statins don't always work well to lower trigs, usually a doctor will prescribe a fenofibrate which is much more effective for lowering trigs.

Good luck to your Dad!

Jon
erijon is on the money, following basically a type 2 diabetes diet reduces the trigs.  I know that from experience.  Beer, hard alcohol and some white wines increase trigs, but dry red wines like Shiraz or Chianti are complex sugars and in moderation can give those who enjoy a libation a bit of a pass.  Whole wheat pastas are also good choices.

Your father might benefit from visits with a dietician, I certainly did, and it helped me a great deal.
Thank you alot for the information! My dad and I have been researching some diets and he will be seeing a doctor soon for more help. His cholesterol level (LDL) is at 81.4 mg /dl while his cholesterol HDL is at 33.0 mg/dl. The blood results indicate that his cholesterol HDL is below the recommended range. Is that also a probable cause why his cholesterol level (and trigs) have gotten so high?  

As diets are concerned, my dad doesn't eat much pasta, or greasy foods. He does enjoy eating bread and rice. However he's very fit for his age and as I mentioned earlier he does 1 hour of tennis every day. We will go see a nutritionist to help plan out a good diet for him. Is there any more foods or diets you recommend? Thank you so much for your help! I will keep you posted.

I'm glad to hear that you are so involved in your dad's health care...I didn't know much about my family history, but had a heart attack at age 40 with a cholesterol level of 350. My cardiologist said he had never seen a level that high, and it drops after a heart attack, so Lord knows what it really was.  With cholesterol drugs, diet, and exercise, I've gotten it down to 108, but cardiologist still wants it below 100.  My HDL is still a bit low, in the 30's range, but in the beginning, my triglycerides went through the roof.  I didn't think about rice being a complex carbohydrate, which just turned to sugar, but I love rice and my diet was such in the beginning that I didn't think there was anything left that I could eat that I liked.  So I had rice with just about every meal.  And that's when my triglycerides skyrocketed.  However, by learning how to manage my diet, I was able to bring my triglycerides back down to normal levels.  Best wishes to your dad.
Fish oil does wonders for lowering my triglyceride levels. I use a formula called Omega-3 Heart Health from Jamieson Laboratories . It did the trick in about a month!

Also try cutting back on sugar intake and carbs in general because that can raise your triglyceride levels too. It's different than cholesterol, which is mainly affected by your fat intake. Hope that helps!