Heart Disease Community
What to expect post-op SVT ablation surgery

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

OK, I am gettin ready to have ablation surgery for SVT. What should I expect post-op? I am seriously freaking out about this. I have never had SVT until 9 months ago when I took Sudafed. My doctor says that I was born with SVT and that the Sudafed just triggered it. Does anyone have any words of wisdom?
I've had 3 ablations for my arrhythmias. I think the worst part was before - take off all my clothes, get an IV put in. The rest wasn't too bad. After it's done you have to lie fairly flat for about 6 hours. That can cause quite a back ache. For some reason the last time I had it done they allowed me to have the head of my bed elevated just a few degrees (there's a limit) and it made all the difference in the world. I did have some bruising and tenderness in the groin area, some fatigue for a couple of days but I was functional around home - not bed-ridden. You're not supposed to lift anything heavy for a short period of time but all in all it wasn't a big deal. Anything specific you're wondering or worrying about?
In addition to the rapid heartbeat, I experience chest pain & pressure more frequently in the last few months and wondered if this was normal for an SVT sufferer. I also experience extreme exhaustion especially if its a long event.
I have had them from 2-3 mins right up to 5 hours.
My most recent one was 45 mins and I was severley fatigued for about a week after.
Does anyone else with SVT suffer the same symptoms
Ive been told I have an svt and the best course of action would be ablation.
I remember having some chest ache when my PSVT went on for a longer period of time (say - 45 mins. at 190 bpm). I felt tired at the time of the tachy but once it popped back to a normal rhythm, I felt fine and ready to go. I've had 3 ablations now and although I still have PSVT it rarely lasts long, at most 15 minutes and rarely goes over 150. The shorter bursts may pop up to 180. My doctor is now trying to get me onto meds which I don't want. She said I'm still having PSVT and am symptomatic. Just because I can feel them doesn't mean I'm debilitated by them. They may slow me down momentarily but that's it. The side effects of the drugs were far worse than any tachy time I've had.

Off track there, just sharing my experience. If you're having SVT for almost 5 hours then I think an ablation might help or even cure that. Even if you just get some improvement (slower rate or shorter time or less frequency) then it would be worth it. Good luck with your decision.
I was diagnosed with SVT while in hte hospital recovering form a lung operation. That was 10 years ago. Every 2-3 years i have another huge episode that forces me into hte hospital to receive adenosine to try to reset the heart rate. The first few times that has worked. The last 2 times inclusind last night, it hasnt. I have had to be put on the shock pad system. I tactic i guess is supposed to be pretty rare. Now they are looking into surgery to remove some of the nodes that causing a reverberation of hte impluses to and from my heart. Again another tatctic that supposed to be very rare
I was just diagnosed with SVT.  I am having an ablation in March.  I am very nervous about it.  I checked into the hospital in December with a heart rate of 250.  I wake up everyday with a fast heart beat and it will start up when I get out of the shower or have caffeine, it only lasts about 10-20 minutes but they say medication will more than likely not help me.  I am hoping this surgery works.

Kristin
I didn't know you could have more than one ablation.  I had it about 3 yrs ago & thought all was well but am now beginning to have the SVT feelings again & chest aching.  I used medicine several for several years before & it wasn't so bad but I had SVTs at least 2-3 times a year, an hour each time so it was not a good quality of life.  
O.K. reading everything ya'll have had to say, I am less afraid and more on track to get my SVT fixed. I am 34 and have been having problems a few times a year since I was 18. Only in the past 5 years it has rapidly increased. Now my SVT occures about once a month with a bpm of about 195-210. I am a large woman and thats what scares me about the surgery. I do have one question though, do they put you asleep for the surgery? or are you awake?
thanks in advance...
   I had an ablation in December 06 for a fib.  It was more of an elective procedure for me than necessary.  My a fib was fairly well controlled with medication, but I just wanted the chance to be free of the a fib altogether.
   I was admitted to the hospital the day before the procedure.  I had a lot of outward bravado about the procedure, but inwardly was very apprehensive.  Laying in the hospital bed the night before, I thought often, "Oh *****, what have I gotten myself into?"
   I was OK though when the time actually came and they wheeled me into the cath lab.  My ablation was done under a general anesthetic, so I just went to sleep, woke up and it was done.  The biggest inconvenience was having a catheter for the day I was in the hospital being monitored and waiting for entry sites to heal.   I felt fine, very minimal discomfort, and was released the next day.  For about six weeks, I had some sensation in my chest--likely from the healing that was taking place.  But there were only minor restrictions on my activity.  
  Looking back, it really was a huge and amazing event, especially thinking of the level of technology involved.  Yet from a patients view,  it seemed no more difficult than going to the dentist for a filling.  
   In summary, it is scary.  Most adventures are.  Just look at it as one of lifes adventures--one with the potential to benefit you for a very long time.  
I am 51 had 3 Ablations last year 2007.I have had A-Fib,Flutter,SVT..Not very good feeling at all.This began about 15 years ago i believe Caffine caused this to happen at a sporting event."SVT 220" Went to Hosp. it stopped about 30 min later felt fine..Then only happened about every three years.In feb 2006 happened again.Dr. suggested slowing down on Alcohol I was a Beer drinker) and no caffine. Feb 2007 happened again then about every 3 weeks all summer ..Had 2 std Ablations during summer.then they wanted to do a Pulmonary Vein Ablation..during testing they thought i had blockages so they did a cath and found nothing excessive,,the CTA-A  scan was not correct.finally scheduled me for the PVA..this Ablation is a lot more involved..This procedure was a lot more stressful 5 hours on the Surgery table.Afterwords waiting for the blood to thicken back up before they could pull out the sheaths "4-hours" they use for entry..unconfortable was an under statement.The Dr. was not convinced the procedure did anything as this was new Equipt. with new Software and felt it did not work as planned.I was and still worried about that statement.Felt week all year..about 3 weeks after the PVA i thought i was going to die  my Heart was skipping so bad my chest would shake when it would start back up about every 15 sec sometimes..finally straightened up and has been very good for 6 months now..Time will tell..I am not happy about "No Beer" but My family is very behind me on this decision.For my health..But i wonder what they fixed if Alcohol causes it and i dont drink no more..
I am going to have an ablation soon. I have read a lot about it but it seems that every site says something diffrent. Can anyone tell me about how long it will take? How long I will be in the hospital? And about how long I will need to take off of work? Thanks for all the help.
I just had ablation done on Tuesday of this week. I spent one night in hospital. In my instance because of back issues they did a fancy anesthetic that had me semi out. They were able to find the pathway and ablate it with 95 percent success which is phenomenal. I have a bruise in my groin area and some soreness at my neck where they also went in through the cartoid artery. Was it worth it, absolutely... I was totally debilitated from constant arrythmia and would probably have lost my licence to drive.  Now I have a flutter once in a while and I'm told that might last a month or so before all is well.
ive had this going on 5 years, we thought it was anxiety until we went to the hospital and cought it on an ekg, its been next to impossible to catch it, i go in for and ablation on the 20th of this month (05/20/08) im more excited then nervous, my dr has done over 300 and is averaging about 3 a week and has only had one bad outcome where the patient had to get a pacemaker, but the way i see it is if i need a pacemaker to solve this problem then so be it, i cant live with it anymore, im a 21 y/o male, ive quit drinking and smoking cigarretts for a long time now and its still happening, 3-6 times a week anywhere from 10 to 60 minutes, i will let this room know how it goes and i think this forum is great, email is ***@**** if anyone wants to talk about it.
the op is not that bad i had mine in jan 08 it is scary as youre awake but try not to stress out too much you will be fine the doctors do this operation hundred times a day they really know their stuff!!!!! just don't expect the op to be the end of the palpations, some people still get minor ones, good luck but you won't need it!!!!!
I just had my ablation on Tuesday, May 13th.  I have since had many more episodes than I used to, I've had them everyday since, and two within 15 minutes.  I am on my second heart monitor again, and no one can give me an answer.  The nurse explained that it is like 'teaching an old dog new tricks'  WHAT?!?  Does this mean I have to have the procedure again?  Or is this normal to feel the heart going 'crazy' after it's been poked at?
i had my ablation 4 months ago, my palps are getting quite severe, last night i thought i was having a heart attack i'm sure i passed out with them.i have never had such a bad episode of palps in my entire life my heart from what i could count was beating 4/5 times per second. i'm bk on the meds but they are clearly not working. in so much muscular chest pain today trying to work out if i should go for an ecg just in case????  i was told palps would be gone after ablation but then i have read many people need it done twice, do i need a 2nd ablation n why would it even work a 2nd time????  hope yours settle down , goodluck!!!!!!!!
Hi i had my ablation done 5/13/08 it was hard for me my doctor ablated over and over it would *** back after 10 min rite back to 220 and up to 250 finally i guess he got it.. they went in thru both my legs (grion) it took over 4 hours and then the 6 hours laying straight i have been home now for 6 days and my left leg hurts plenty it makes me limp wen i walk and i have to take deep breathes so i dont know if this is normal i called my doctor he will see me on thrusday.. hopefully everthing goes well till then cus my breathing is scaring me..sometimes my heart goes rasing crazy but that mite be normal for a while i think.. i hope cus i'm going back to work and am hoping i'm all done with this im a mail carrier lot of walking and lifting.. i wish every one who is going to get there ablation  the my best wishes.. and  fully and fast  recovering
I had my ablation last monday, june 9th. they had to go through 3 different arteries and the incision on my left leg hurts REALLY bad. I went to the ER after it started to bleed a little and they said i developed a hematoma. its been almost a week and my leg is sore, aching, and really really uncomfortable. i can't sleep, the pain killers dont help, and im just ready to have my life back to normal!!!

dont get me wrong... i feel like this surgery was a success and i strongly encourage anyone else out there with SVT to have it done. The doctors zapped 2 spots and when they tried to induce the arythmia again, it wouldnt do it.

good luck to everyone!!!
Sorry to hear about the hematoma. Some people do get them and it does take time for the blood to be broken down and absorbed.  So you had the two legs and a neck vein used? I was OK with the leg veins but I'm glad I didn't have to have the neck used as well. They used a "sheath" in each leg to protect the blood vessels as they ran the 4 catheters up (2 in each leg). I assume they do that for everyone. I'm not sure how the hematomas form. Most of the wiggling around is done in the heart by remote control. I was able to watch some of it on the screen during my first ablation.

Just take it easy for awhile. The pain will go away. Sometimes there's some pressure or bruising on a nerve and it's quite uncomfortable for a few weeks.
Anyone considering ablation, PLEASE READ THIS POST!!!

I am a 23 year old female that has been in superb physical shape my entire life. I always had an arrhythmia, but it progressively got worse starting at age 16. While in college, it got to the point where my heart rate would near 250-280 bpm and I would pass out (syncope) - this was usually exercise induced or would come a result of doing something suddenly - sneezing, a quick sprint, running down the stairs, coughing, etc. During a softball game I passed out because of an episode (I usually had large attacks a few times a year). My heart rate was 280 bpm and after it subsided my blood pressure was 150/130. It was then decided that I would have the ablation procedure.

In August 2007 I went in for the procedure. My doctor was a very young man - my parents seemed a bit concerned in regards to his age and the fact that his average patient was in their late 60s. My procedure was HORRIBLE. I was on the bed for 11 HOURS in surgery and fully awake the entire time! Because my heart was so healthy (SVT is an electrical problem, not heart problem) they couldn't get the SVT to trigger. The entire time I was pumped with adrenaline. After all that time they only ablated one part in my right atrium and didn't even venture over into the left side. The doctor admitted defeat and then had the nerve to refer me to another man a state away and told me to try again.

So now, here I am almost a year later and my current case is worse than when I went in in the first place. Along with SVT, I now have a consistent flutter that is with me ALL DAY. My attacks don't yield the same rate (now about 200 bpm), but they have been getting stronger and stronger. To anyone considering ablation, if your attacks are as extreme as mine, DO NOT do catheter ablation. Open heart ablation or internal defibrillators are all that will work for you. I have been to a new doctor recently and this is what he is recommending since my attacks are so extreme. If you have minor attacks, catheter is for you. Now I have to pay a $20,000 medical bill for a procedure that didn't work (yes, that was after insurance and 30k of the 100k price tag was adrenaline for the 11 hours I was under!!!!!)                    
One piece of advice that is given often to those considering ablation is to ask the EP/cardiologist how many ablations he's done. When it comes to the delicate electrical system of the heart, you should have a well qualified and experienced person. My EP cardio was head of cardiology at the medical university. There were other cardios in the room but he was in charge. This isn't the time to let a less experienced person practice ablations alone. And being in the cath lab for 11 hours isn't the norm at all. During my 2nd ablation I was in for 7 hours. He couldn't ablate the arrhythmia successfully so he stopped. And to allow a patient to be in pain when it isn't necessary seems less than compassionate.

I'm sorry you had such a terrible experience. That's not the norm thank goodness.
i have had my ablation for (svt) on the 21 april 2008. my proceedure was done in london and im very grateful it was 4 hours long and proceedure itself was simple and was nothing to be concerned about however i thought that this was to correct the fast heart rate and flutters which i have had once a month (230). since having it done i have had one episode of a fast heart rate 140 lasting 45mins but on a daily basis missed heart beats and flutters which are really random i also get chest pain  is this normal i have had an 7 day ecg but nobody is telling me if this is normal or if it can be fix or even is this another heart problem what shall i do has someone else had the same problem thanks
I know they give the statistics that an ablation is 90% successful or so. I honestly don't know. The people that have successful ablations would have no need to post on a board like this. I've had 3 ablations because my heart is stubborn. Like you, I still have PSVT but it is at a much slower rate and better yet, it doesn't last that long when it does pop up. The ectopics may have been there all along but seemed like nothing compared to your tachy at 230. Now they nag you and cause concern. Most of the time the PAC's and PVC's are just a momentary heart hiccup; it gets out of sync for a second and corrects itself. No harm done.

As for your tachy times at 140 for 45 minutes, your cardio may recommend another ablation to try to clean up that arrhythmia. There must still be a spot lingering and causing you some trouble. Just don't be surprised if another ablation is mentioned. I look at it like vacuuming the house - I think I got it all and I turn around and there's some lint and fuzz I missed somehow.

Do mention the chest pain to the doc. I get brief chest cramps (I call them). The cardio checked them and didn't seem concerned. If there's fainting or the pain lasts more than 5 minutes, go to the ER.
I was born with svt and I decided to go and have an ablation done after talking to a friend that went through it. I will never forget this day as long as I live, I remember waking up and having my family surrounding me, I didn't have a clue why I was in so much pain, come to find out, while I was in the precedure, the doctor ruptured my arota which caused me to bleed out, in the process of bagging me trying to keep me a live they had to find a surgeon and a opened operating room. Luckly they found a great surgeon that was able to open my chest and stop the bleeding, mean time they had to revibe me 3 times and told my husband and mother that they didn't think I was going to live as they made a mistake. I did make it out of it alive thanks to one great doctor that was on hand. I ended up being in the hospital for a week and it took me 12 weeks to recover from open heart surgery. I have 2 boys that went through hell watching their mother go through such a horible thing.

I personal would never go through it again, they never did take care of the problem, I live everyday with and will continue to..
When anyone goes in for an ablation, risks are spelled out. One risk is the possibility of poking a hole through a vessel. The odds of that happening are miniscule but if it happens to you, then it's too much. I'm sorry you were on the wrong end of the "odds." If you are still having your arrhythmias but can live with them without damaging your heart, then I say go for it. I've had 3 ablations and still have ectopics and PSVT. But I'm done with ablations and the PSVT is not bad.

Do you take medication to manage your arrhythmia? It may not cure it but it can help slow them down or make them less frequent. I'm on Diltiazem right now because I'm under so much stress (my Dad is dying) and as you know, stress can trigger more SVT. Take care of yourself the best you can.
I have had two electric physiology studies.  The first one, the doctor "bruised" my heart and it didn't work.  The second one worked!  I had it performed about a year ago.  My heart rate would go up to about the 250s range or higher.  It was sooo exhausting and scary.  I would faint all of the time.  I have had it since birth, but no one caught it until I was 26 (now 35).  They doctors all thought I had epilepsy.  My oldest daughter has hearing loss from the anti-seizure meds I was on.  All is well now, and I couldn't be happier to not take meds every day, stop fainting, and not be so tired.  Good luck to all; it was a scary surgery, but the best thing I have ever done!
I had ablation for svt (avnrt) Oct. 21st.  I really did not know what to expect.  I had some soreness but really suprised about how tired I felt.  I stayed in bed for practically two days.  I tried to get out some yesterday but became very tired and had to come home.  I hope this is normal.  I was sedated throughout my procedure but mostly awake.  My chest still feels tight, though getting some better each day, and I don't have alot of energy. This is post-op day7.  When will  I feel better?  I was very active before with exercise and 3 young children.  I just hope to feel atleast as good if not better.  I have had svt from age17 but not as frequent due to meds and no caffeine.  I am 32.  I hope I made the right decision in having this done.  
I had my ablations in my late 40's, early 50's so I'm older than you. But I don't remember being very tired after the procedures. I wasn't up to full speed but I was up and about, doing fairly normal activities. Even went to the gym the next day to walk off some of the nervous energy. Then again, I went shopping at the book store the day after my abdominal surgery so maybe I'm just stupid :-)

It's been a week for you and you should feel pretty good by now. An occasional dull ache in the chest is normal but that's it. Perhaps you should call your doctor if you aren't able to do your daily activities. It doesn't sound right to me.
How much it hurts and recovery time is dependant on a few things including your own proclivity for healing.  My 1st ablation was not too bad, except they did use 3 entry sites and I was fairly bruised up.  The 2nd one was 8 hours long and they did so many burns they just had to eventually quit so as not to burn right through my heart.  I had an excellent doc and his partner also joined him for 3 hours I'm told to try to chase down the spots.  They eventually came out and apologized to my husband for being  unable to fix it.  I felt like I had been put through a cheese grater for a couple weeks- a sore of raw abraded sensation.  I thought I would never do it again after the second one... but the THIRD wasn't too bad.  The goal was just to ablate everything and place a permanent pacemaker to drive the rhythms.  Unfortunately, they couldn't and I still have to take a TON of meds AND have the pacer.  That said, having the pacemaker has been the HIGHLIGHT of 20008.  Hope it goes quick and easy.
I had an ablation for SVT 2 years ago. I was diagnosed at 26 with it not too long before they scheduled me in - as I had very frequent symptoms that were lasting longer each time. It has now been 2 years - almost to the day, and lately I have been getting a lot of pain in my chest. Now, since having to deal with this a big part of my life, I am quite familiar to where my heart is, and what it feels like. I even notice if it's skipping a beat. I just can't seem to explain this pain in my chest. When it comes, it lasts for about 1 minute, and will continue and then stop again for about 10 minutes. It's kind of like an aching feeling, only much worse. I do not feel short of breath, and I cannot say that there are any more symptoms with this.

Is any one familiar with this??
Can't really say. Do you have any arrhythmia with the pain? I suppose you could ask to wear a heart monitor and record during a painful episode. I get chest aches every now and then, usually with some arrhythmia. I did the monitor, recorded them along with some of my usual heart nonsense. All I was told was "I don't think it's cardiac related." OK. . .not much of an answer but I'll take it. Perhaps it's just esophageal spasms or some stomach problem. He didn't seem too interested so I won't worry either. Until you get some more testing done, it's just too difficult to guess.
I had an ablation 2 days ago, and the doctors said it was successful for all they know now.  They found many areas where the electrical impulses were corrupted.  The lead doctor, a very highly respected pioneer in this field, likened these areas to swirls which can move, if I understood him correctly.  Post operative was where the problems were.  The worst part was being so dry which to my belief, caused constipation.  There was minor pain in the heart due to the ablating.  There was no problem with the groin area.  Removing the catheter and starting the bladder working again was a challenge, but I was also able to get that going.  The initial urinations (male) were painful but subsided after about 4 times.  Did anybody else have post op constipation due to anesthesia?  
I've never heard of that one. The anesthesia they use is typically a conscious anesthesia. You're not out completely, there's no breathing tube involved. It's a med that just makes you relax and fade in and out.

As for constipation or dehydration, each time I was in they put in an IV for fluids plus used it for the meds. Being dry shouldn't have been a problem. If you were taking any pain meds, that typically causes constipation which is why I don't use them, even after my abdominal surgery.

Sorry you had such a rough time.
I had my ablation on 2/26.  I was diagnosed with SVT when I was 9 (26 y/o f).  My SVT/AV Nodal was triggered by excersise, sudden moves - an event monitor tracked my heart rate at 300 bpm lasting 20-30 mins.  My procedure was 6 hours, general anesthesia and in-patient; I was released the next day.  Insertions in both groins and my neck.  Like many people have mentioned, the prodecure itself wasn't too bad probably because I was asleep the entire time.  After the procedure I was extremely exhausted sleeping 18 hours for the next 4 days.  It's been 10 days and I feel a lot better except that I am short of breath, particularly at night.  I also have occassional flutters which I know is normal.  I'm anxious to see if this worked to fix me or not.  Good luck to everyone considering this procedure.  Make sure you get a great doc!
My goodness - 300 bpm, lasting 20-30 mins at a time would be miserable. 300 bpm puts it in the atrial flutter category. They found some a-flutter during my first ablation, didn't even realize I had that one. But they were able to zap that one and get it controlled. I certainly hope your ablation is a success.
I just found out I have Supraventricular Tachycardia.  I am 60.   I have experienced palpitations in the past, and thought they were from my "get everything done temperment, that stress, plus the exercise in doing it all".  
It would usually come and go pretty quickly, like within a minute.  Before that would come on it felt like I might have had a low BP wave of feeling dizzy or faint.  I would try to just sit and breathe, try to relax and then I'd be okay (but underneath still very scared, like I was going to die?)
I also have been told that I had panic attacks (starting at age 11), and off and on through my 20's, 30's, and even 40's.  I thought those came on from my own thoughts...like maybe I'd just lose control.
After doing some reading...and the way other's describe how they feel with the SVT, that's how the panic attacks felt too...although at the time I had those, I was so scared I wasn't aware of the heart rate.....just the overwhelming feeling of passing out, a sinking feeling, and wanting that to just go away or leave.
I wonder if the panic attacks were actually SVT?   I also have been told my BP is up so I was just put on BP meds., and I need to lose 30 lbs.  No coffee, no chocolate, no salt, no sugar, and watch the carbs until the weight is off.  
I wonder if the panic attacks are related to the SVT - since it started as young as 11?
Sometimes doctors or people may assume it's just anxiety or a panic attack since the symptoms are so similar. Unless you wore a heart monitor at age 11 or 20 or 30 and recorded one of these episodes, the doctor wouldn't have known if it was panic or PSVT. A heart tracing shows distinct rhythms. Explaining your symptoms in the office is very subjective.

I'm glad you finally found out what was going on. The various forms of SVT can be controlled and sometimes cured if the doctor decides to do an ablation (although those are not always 100%). When I was very young my Mom was told I had epilepsy. I even took meds for that. However, when I got older another doctor told her it was my heart rhythm acting up. I'll never know for sure about the epilepsy but I do know my heart is goofy.

So what's the plan for you now?
Hi, thanks for your feedback and comments.  I go for extensive blood tests this week, I guess to rule out things like my thyroid (hyerthyroidism), and to make sure my cholesterol is not high.  
I was given an appointment with a cardiologist and the earliest I could get was in the first week of May...seems kind of far away.
I am taking it easy and I won't go back to work for a week or two now.   I am relieved that I found out something about this, and trying not to give it any energy.  
It sure makes you scared to go back to your regular pace, so I'll have to hold back on buzzing around so much...he he.
I am looking forward to losing the weight so I won't have to stay on BP meds indefinitely.  A cousin of mine did that.  She lost about 40 lbs. and she just did a daily walking routine - then she didn't need her meds anymore.   To lose the weight I am eating well, but not indulging in junky snacks, you know?  I walk a lot, so that isn't a hardship.  Also trying not to stress out over things.  Thanks, write back when you have time.

One thing that people do not realize is that an ablation is only sucessful if the electrical tract is ACTIVE on the day of the proceedure. If the electrical tract isn't, then it doesn't matter how hard the doctor tries to start those fast heart rates, he won't be able to map that tract and the ablation won't take. That's why so many patients still have a problem.  
May is a long time to wait. With most SVT there's no danger but waiting that long for answers is a pain in the petunia. Walking is excellent exercise. I love to walk but use my recumbant bike at home when I don't feel like going out (today for example since it's snowing again). Junk food seems to be addictive LOL Why does it have to taste so good? I'm a great fan of chocolate but limit myself. Not only because of the calories but too much makes my heart dance.

I've heard of people going in for ablations only to have a quiet heart day and they can't trigger it. I think that's fairly rare. If a person is having so much tachy that it's interfering with their life, it's usually active enough to find during the ablation too. That's encouraging.

You're right that a person can feel light-headed when the heart races. It's best to sit it out. I hope you'll check back in and let us know what you find out and how you're doing. For now, enjoy the walks and look for those Spring flowers. My crocus are peeking through the dirt. And my plum tree has buds. Spring is near even if the sky is dumping snow today. Hmmph.
Wow! Alot of posts on this one.  I have (had) severe svt.  Made me feel as though I would pass out.  Severe sob.  I was put on Amiodarone and took that for about 9 months.  The svt got alot better, but I still worried about the risks involved with taking that drug.  So, I stopped taking it a few weeks back.  I am doing okay so far.  The dr wishes I would have stayed on the drug since it was working, but he understands my concerns.  No talk yet of ablation. It's been mentioned, just not acting on that yet.  The complaint I am having now is that my angina is getting worse.  Waking me up in the middle of the night. Take nitro and it goes away until about an hour and half later. Subsides mid morning.  Have dealt with angina for years now.  Not sure when to get up and go to ER or not. (The last 3 visits there only showed angina, ischemia and such) Has been 2 years since my last mi.  Long stretch for me.
Irene, the azaleas are in bloom here in Texas and my bulbs are starting to sprout now too. (I know because in turning some of the soil I pulled some up).  (Caladiums) You are right, the ground hog was wrong.  (Punxatawny Phil or something like that).  Spring is here.

Take care.  Ally
300BPM is very high! I had my ablation done in London in Dec 09. Mine were triggered by sports - I play regularly but sometimes it turned into and SVT. It was the diagnoses that took long to sort out.

In the ablation procedure, the mapping part (where they control your pulse took a while - and was 'v. uncomfortable' but nothing more than that. They usually took mine up to 250BPM lots of times until they were able to locate the exact problem area. It turned out to be round the left side.

The actual procedure to burn the problem took a few minutes only. They then waited for a period of 20 minutes to see if the problem would come back. It didn't... After that its exactly as people have said - a period of 4-6 hours of rest. During this time they removed the 'bits' from my groin wound (sometimes they do it while you're in the theatre but it depends on the blood something or other).

Anyway for a couple of days I was a bit hobbly, nothing more, then after that I was back to life. 3 weeks later I was back playing badminton and football regularly. It is worth doing this procedure. Success rates are very high for 'procedures' and the technology is just incredible. I was talking throughout the procedure and was amazed watching how the wires were doing their thing.

Good luck to those doing it.
Just had my ablation done - am four days post procedure.  Am experiencing weird sensations, like if I don't lay practically upright on pillows, I get flutters - and have had nausea everyday since.  Have not yet been able to return to normal everyday life...Is this normal?
This thread spells doomsday for people like me about to have ablation!! are there any success stories out there? matt

Zen - it does take a few weeks at least for the heart to quiet down. It's been irritated by the procedure. Depending on how long you were in there, it may take longer to recover. My second ablation took a good 7 hours and I felt tired and teary for a good week. The other two I recovered more quickly. Even when you get your energy back, your heart may flutter and feel funny because the heart muscle itself is still healing. Give it time, you should notice a change in a month or so. One day you'll realize "Hey, my heart's been quiet all day!"

Matt - Don't worry about this thread. So many people have ablations with little to no problem and get on with their lives. Remember, all those successful people have no need to visit a heart forum any more. I consider my ablations successful because I feel so much better than I did before.
27 y/o male just had an ablation done three days ago.  I have to say this was the best decision of my life.  I had been living with SVT for five years, and over the last year the feelings and episodes had gotten worse and worse - to the point where my life felt like it was being run by my heart!  

I would be anxious all the time and worry about the next episode, and even though i was told the episodes were benign, it still was impossible to just ignore or 'get over it' - my quality of life was completely affected for the worse

I had went to see three seperate EP doctors prior to getting the procedure done, and all recomended i do the procedure, even though i had never in fact had the SVT caught on an EKG.  I had been to the hospital after several long episodes but every time i got there, my heart would 'click back' into regular rythm before they could get it on an EKG.  However after describing the symtoms (symptoms) to the Dr, they all thought they would be able to fix me with an EP study and an ablation IF it were infact AVNRT, WPW, or AVRT.

The day of the procedure was a bit nerveracking, but i was in and out in about 3 hours.  The Drs were able to induce the SVT, and ablated 4 times, after which they could no longer induce the SVT.  I was SEMI conscious but barely remember anything exept for maybe a minute or two of the three hour procedure.  Totally comfortable and not scared or scary at all.

Recovery was an easy one night in the hospital, and i was released the next day.  Now a few days later i feel GREAT.  I still can feel the 'click' of when an SVT would start, except now my heart just keeps on going in regular rythym!  A bit of brusing at the cath insertion site, but i think that will go away in a few days.

I honestly feel this was the best decision I ever made to get this procedure done.  I feel like a huge weight has been lifted off of my sholders, and I no longer have to worry about my heart running my life, I can now do as I please and not live in fear.

To those questioning getting this done, I would say it is not the same for every type of arrythmia, but if you do your due diligance and make sure to see several Dr's and get more than one opinion - as long as you go to a qualified doc in a good safe cath lab, they can cure you for life with a 95% success rate - GO ahead and change your life for the better!  

Wow that sounds so positive.  It's good to hear you did so well.  I am 60, and I'm not so sure I want to have someone poking around in my heart?

I am a very young and fit 60 yr. old, active and was never on any medication my whole life.  My doctor has put me on BP medication for now.  Go figure.

I haven't had any episodes since Feb 2nd, then yesterday while grocery shopping I had the "palpitations"..........called, Supraventricular Tachycardia.  

I try to remember exactly what I was doing when it came on.  I was squatting down to look at something on a lower shelf, and got up slowly and I was fine.  I walked around to shop in other aisle's and then I may have bent over to look at something...that's when I felt the quick heart rate start.   Naturally, I got very scared because my last incident required going to the hospital by ambulance where they had to give me a drug to shock it back to a normal rhythmn.  I went over to the pharmacy area and sat on a chair, did some deep breathing and then did the Valsalva Manouvre twice (held my breath and "pushed").  It started to slow down, but with quite a forceful beat.  So, I have to wonder if it's related to blood pressure and a positional event?
I am waiting to see a cardiologist and I then do a sleep study to rule out sleep apnea as that can cause heart problems too.
It's very frustrating to not know what you can do, and at times I am so anxious for no reason at all?
I felt the same way about ablations - I really didn't like the idea of someone poking around inside my heart. But if it fixes the problem, that's so much nicer than taking medication the rest of your life or worrying about a tachy time and going to ER.

The Valsalva is wonderful. I've used it for years. I did find that when I was holding my breath and bearing down, my heart would protest and thump a few times. That seemed to be the signal that it was working. A couple of things I learned: when you exhale, do it slowly; if you just whoosh it  out, often the tachy will kick right back in and don't wait too long to do valsalva - the longer the tachy runs, the harder it is to stop. I wait a minute and if it doesn't stop on its own, then it's time for valsalva.

Read up and ask the cardio about POTS - postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome. Some people have that where tachy starts when they move their body a certain way. It's not as common as PSVT (tachy that starts and stops suddenly for no particular reason) but just another thing to consider.
Hi Louise

If in fact you do have SVT, it can be onset sometimes from just sitting and doing nothing.  I had found often Alcohol, Tobacco, and caffine as well as stress and rushes of adrenaline tend to bring out the SVT's more often, but could never really pinpoint any specific reson besides the above that would bring on the incidence more frequently.

They are not life threating but certainly scary.  If you can stop the fast rythym by bearing down and controlling breathing, chances are you have the type of SVT that can be ablated and cured.

I would reccomend finding a good qualified EP Dr and at least meeting with them, they can tell you what your risks might be  - I am not sure if the risk actually increases with age or not

I can tell you it is a relatively easy procedure, and while the complications sound dangerous, you are talking 1 in 5,000 chance of something dangerous or bad really happening.  The worst complications tend to arise from the site of catheter insertion rather than anything having to do with your heart.  The anxiety leading up to the day is much worse than the procedure and recovery period itself

Good luck to you.
I had SVT for about 10 years, ranging from twice to three times per year. My heart rate would get up to about 225. The hospital staff would joke with me because I was so calm while in the ER. I would tell them " I'm used to it. Just give me the shot and I'll be fine". Sad but true. Though I was used to the SVTs they always would "show up" at the most inopportune times. I had gotten to the point where I would cut out certain activities for fear of an attack. Needless to say, during those ten years I refused to go anywhere that didn't have a hospital within a couple of miles. Can you say "no vacations"? Anyway, the last straw was when I walked into the court room and sat down (I'm a paralegal). I had no sooner then placed my behind in the seat before the "SVT Monster" attacked! I was floored! The court was at least 5-7 miles from the nearest hospital! I left court and drove myself to the hospital, but all the while panicking because of the distance. I got my "shot" and was fine... physically. Mentally was, and is, another story. I agreed to have the ablation and the procedure was done of February 5th. My doctor says the ablation was successful but there is a 3% chance of it returning. I have had a few skipped beats and little pains but have since learned (from this forum) that is normal. My problem is that now I'm constantly battling panic attacks! I had to ask my doctor to prescribe valium for me because I was (am) feeling like such a basket case! It feels like my brain is shooting off adreneline that my body is not ready for. Have you or anyone else suffered from this? Is this normal "post ablation"? Please help! I don't want to be a valium addict!
You've had 10 years of SVT episodes and your emotions have been trained to anticipate and fear them. Now you'll have to allow time for the emotions to retrain, to believe that the occasional heart hiccup is not going to lead to a full blown SVT episode. As you have more time with a quiet heart, you will relax.

I had 2 years of fearing the "phone call" that would bring news that my Dad had died. He's gone now but it still took me awhile to not tense up every time the phone rang.

If you can handle some of the skipped beats without the valium, give that a try. Save it for the critical times. You'll gradually see an improvement. Take care.
I had an ablation a week ago for SVT in Canada where they do approximately 4 ablations a day. The surgery took 2 hours and I was not put out or given a sedative. I can tell you that the procedure hurt immensely when they were burning (10-12 times) and I remember everything. I watched the procedure on the X-Ray machine while it was happening.  I would recommend that if you have a choice, choose to have a sedative. Currently I have pain in my chest and throat. I am also experiencing coughing and pain in my neck and groin at the insertion sites, along with "missed" and "stalled" heart beats. I have seen a physician and they suspect that I have an irritation in the lining of the heart due to the surgery which can take 2-6 weeks to heal. Whether the ablation was a success is yet to be seen, I heard it can take a long time to tell. That's my experience and good luck to others, I hope it goes better than mine!
I had SVT for 10 years, Im 38. I decided to have the ablation due to unsuccessful medications and the fact that I haven't had any children. Because of my age and the possibility of fertility drug use, ablation was the best option. If the ablation doesnt work for me I can't imagine trying it once more, and may try medicines again. Does anyone know if there are risks involved with heart med's for SVT and fetuses?
Oh my word! I can't imagine going through an ablation without any meds at all. I had 2 meds: Versed to relax and fentanyl for any discomfort. Between the 2 of them, I didn't feel much or remember much.

There may be some anti-arrhythmic meds that are safer than others to take during a pregnancy. Or, depending on how severe your problem, you may have to go off the heart med for awhile until the baby is more developed, less likely to be harmed by a medication. Those are things to discuss with your doctors.

The recovery from an ablation can take a couple weeks to get your energy back and the dull little aches to go away. It may take a few months before the heart quiets down completely. Glad your ablation was a quick one, only 2 hours. My longest of the 3 was 7 hours not counting recovery (laying flat).

Hope everything works out well for you.
Just got home from my procedure, and it did not work at all.  About 6 hours post op I had a episode last 30 mins, which is 25 longer than ever before.  I was in the cath lab for 4.5 hours, and unfortunatly the fentanal and versed didn't even take the edge off.  I was able to remember everything and had quite a lot of pain during the procedure(guess 2mg of versed every 30mins don't work on everyone). I have been home 8 hrs and have had 4 unprevoke svt episodes now.  Dr says that he'll have to do a cryo ablation now, which will be under general, and is done on the endocardium near my sinus node.  My Rt incision (which was arterial not venious) has a lot of pain, others wise pretty pain free. To bad my PSVT is 10 times worse now
Ok, here's the story of the day! I was having, yet another, panic attack (which I have been having since my ablation February 5th) and called my heart doctor (who prescribed valium to calm me). I asked him if he would switch me to something else because the valium was not stopping the panic attacks, just putting me to sleep. I do have to work. The nurse, after speaking with my doctor, advised me that the doctor didn't want to switch my medication at this time but "by the way" would like to schedule another test for me because he saw "something" on my holter monitor reading and wanted to make sure I wasn't at risk for sudden cardiac arrest. Ok forum, what's wrong with this picture? Did I not say that I was having panic attacks? Needless to say, as a result I was livid AFTER having the mother of all panic attacks! I have been having heart skips or thumps. Do you think this is stress, anxiety, or even acid reflux related? On the bright side, I haven't had a panic attack today. I think its because I'm too mad to be scared. Any help out there?
posted a couple of weeks ago, having strange flutters days after ablation.  have been told that's normal.  now almost a month post ablation, last week in er for sinus tachy at 140bpm...  now a week later and not tachy, but feeling strange pvc/flutters and a sense of what i can describe only as heartburn or something...  i'm feeling these strange things and doctors saying i'm normal.  I'M NOT FEELING NORMAL.  i gets periods of dizziness and strange feelings in my chest - though the drs don't seem to be too concerned, as not going into tachy...  the angst of it all is really getting to me.  sleeping is not good, as woken up with these strange feelings.  after er visit three weeks post ablation, come to find out from dr that during procedure they found second area, closer to a "dangerous" area - they got what they could, thought they got everything, as they couldn't induce tachy, but my strange feelings a month later aren't tachycardias, just chest pain/burn and flutters with dizziness - heart rate feels OK/normal...  any ideas, or am i destined to never be normal again?
hi, i had an ablation back in 1994, i had extreme svt, after having an episode of 330bpm for 2 days we decided on an ablation, for me it was a life saving operation, for all those that are suffering effects after, i would like to say this is normal, i had flutter, etopic beats, mimic's of svt the lot, it lasted for a few weeks then settled, i had psvt after as a result of the surgery, that was going on about 20 times a day but nothing like svt, i still suffer from the psvt attacks but i only have them about 4 times a day and they only last less than a minute and just feel odd more than anything but for me having the ablation was life changing, after having svt from birth and not really having a life, i now go on holiday, go on fair rides all that normal stuff which i could only dream of  and me and my husband are now trying for a baby! so life's pretty damn good!
I'm scheduled in 4 weeks for my second ablation for AFib. Not sure it will be worth it from what I am reading here. My first was 4 years ago and I went about a year and a half before my AFib came back. I've been treated with drug therapy since, but 6 months ago my AFib got out of control again (much more severe than ever before)  and I had to be cardioverted about every 2 weeks for about 3 months until I got put on the right combination of drugs to get me back to regular sinus, usually within about 6-10 hours of an episode. Unfortunately, my AFib is now a daily occurrence, but thankfully I do convert with the drugs. But the drugs I've been on for the past few months have been causing alot of nausea; the AFib causes headache, shortness of breath (you know, the regular symptoms). My doctor does not believe that my recent weight gain (20 lbs, rapidly in about 10 days) has anything to do with any of the drugs I am on despite the pharmacy literature that suggests it in a small percentage of people that take the same drugs as me. I'm at my wits end over this and unfortunately am not able to work out right now - my doctor wants me to wait until after I've had the ablation and recovered. Before all this I was in great shape and worked out 5 times a week. Is there any hope that any of this will really change with a second ablation? And does anyone else ever find their doctor to be unreasonable about the possibility of side effects from your drug therapy? I know my body and I know what's changed and why.
40yr old Male, military aviator.  Had Cryo-ablation one year ago, on Valentine's Day, believe it or not.  Had a tachy. during a workout and was able to stumble to medical only 50 feet away from the gym.  The docs caught it on the EKG, and then it spontaneously reverted.  Good news was that I had the ablation one week later.  Post op, I had some minor palps on and off.  Felt like my heart was "healing" due to some minor pain in that vicinity.
Knowing what I know now, I realise I had tachy. a few times in my life but thought it was due to dehydration, etc.  The event in the gym scared me into getting to medical and forcing myself to aknowledge the problem.  
I am glad I had the procedure, but I was very nervous about the obvious life changing impacts to my career if the problem wasn't resolved.   Wonderfully, the medical board approved my to fly again and have been 'pulling g's' and such for the last 7 months.  
Being very nervous and scared is natural, the "unknowns" and thinking it to death are a natural reaction to this type of event.  It took me a long time to accept that I was "cured", I was afraid to workout since that's what tripped it "that" time.  I've been working out cardio and weights since then and feel much better.  The goods:  as my Cardiologist said - "you won't die from this, I believe I can fix it and get you back in the air and if I don't fix it we'll know much more than we do now."

The most pain was from the incisions in my neck and right groin and the discomfort from being on the table for so long (6.5 hours), and the lab was very cold (a 'feet heater' did wonders for that)...and they dry-shaved me from chest to knees...I would have done it myself or had my wife help me with shaving cream - if I would have known.  Overall, you will get through it with a wonderful chance for a complete cure.  If not, as my doc said, "we'll know more than we do now."

I had AV nodal reentrant tachycardia . I am a 48 year old female. I had my ablation a couple of weeks ago in New York.
  The procedure was practically painless and I went home the same day. I had two insertion sites, in the groin and neck. The discomfort was so minimal that I didn't even need to take an Advil. Since then, my heart has been especially calm...I had no idea a heart wasn't supposed to feel so clunky! I've had NO stray heartbeats of any kind.
I feel incredible.
   It is easy to get scared off when you read accounts of less-than-ideal results. Yet I am here to tell you that there are some great cases, and I am one of them. I only wish I had the ablation done sooner.

Sue  
During college i started have "flutters" that would last 2-3 secs and then be gone! This went on for 4 years until I graduated and started my new job as a Store Manager for a grocery store. One day while having lunch with my mother my heart jumped to 220 beats per minute out of the blue! I thought i was having a heart attack!! It was the MOST scariest thing in the world. I went to my family doctor after much debate about going to the emergency room( long wait times) and they diagnosed me as having ANXIETY.....With the new job, college loans etc. I thought makes sinse to me, i had every symptom of an anxiety attack! These attacks went on for 3 months, some lasting longer than others but it was nothing that I couldnt talk myself out of! Then last week I woke up at 2:10AM with my heart beating out of my chest and very much IRREGULAR! I screamed call 911!!! When the paramedics got to my home my heart was beating 250 beats per minute and they told me i was experiencing A-FIB. ( Irregular heartbeat) They took me to the hospital and put me on a drip to slow my heart and hopefully convert my heart back to sinus rythym ( normal ). This took place about 8 hours after arriving to the hospital. I am now on flecanide and a betablocker until i have the SVT ablation in a few weeks. I am extremely nervous because im only 22 years old (male) and I have heard this is mostly a older persons disorder. I hope the ablation works and i can kick the meds and be back to myself without the CONSTANT anxiety of another attack or somehing worse! THE BIGGER PICTURE HERE:.........PLEASE make sure if you are experiencing some of these symptoms make sure you tell your doctor and give some insite as to what you may have OTHER than anxiety if thats the diagnosis youre given! This would have saved me alot of time and nervous days if I would have read into a site like this years ago!

ANY ADVICE OR EXPERIENCES WOULD HELP ME DRAMATICALLY!!
Hi, I've just got home from ablation for AVNRT and would like to offer encouragement to anyone considering the procedure. I was scared to death before going ahead, having lived with the condition for all of my 30 years and never having the courage to go ahead with it. After a really bad attack before christmas, I decided enough was enough and booked myself for the procedure. The story of my op is much the same as everyone else's - very very scary, painful at times and generally unpleasant. I'm quite an anxious person anyway and for me the mental side of it was worse than the physical side. I was given morphine and some sedatives which took the edge off things, but the very fact you are awake is rather disconcerting! My surgeon was wonderful and induced the AVNRT very quickly and successfully ablated it with only 3 minutes of xray time which she said is very low and way below average for the procedure. Strangely, before she induced the AVNRT, she managed to induce atrial fibrillation which felt very weird but she reassured me that this was purely catheter induced and it won't recur after the procedure.

So all in all, a success story and now i feel better than i ever have - my heart is beating more gently than it ever has done and although i'm getting a couple of skipped beats here and there, these are milder than before the procedure and not triggering my SVT.

I thought I'd post this to encourage other to go ahead with this life changing procedure. I remember before I went in reading horror story after horror story on these forums and found it hard to find any positive posts. So here's one!

All those going in, feel free to ask any questions and good luck to you! (not that you'll need it!)

Matt
I just turned 19, May 22nd and just got back from having my SVT ablation done May 26th. The only thing that bothers me in the area around my groin because its fairly bruised, but thats normal. I too was born with SVT and after collapsing at softball practice awhile back we took action. First it was medication ( that didn't work ) and we saw numerous doctors who beat around the bush with the SVT because I was considered a pediatric. So finally someone came to my rescue.

Anyone who reads this before they go in DONT WORRY. I'm 19! imagine being 19 on a hospital bed with people trying to ease you because "you're a baby" I don't know if everyone was being EXTRA nice because I was so young, but by the time I walked to the operating room and went onto the table I was comfortable with them to do the procedure. You are technically awake during the procedure but the sedative they give you makes you REALLY sleepy. I watched some of it on the screen but I had no idea what was going on so I took a nap. I'm not going to lie but some parts obviously hurt like when they make your heart palpitate because when it palpitates it hurts anyway! and when you're finally allowed to go home (I had to wait an extra 2 hours after the 2 hour procedure) your leg hurts bad to walk but again THATS NORMAL.

So if i can do it ANYONE can believe me! and I'm still recovering 2 days post procedure and I'm very happy I got it done NO MORE MEDICATION! :)
im only 15 and i have currently been diagnosed with svt, neuro cardio genic synqape, and bradi cardia and every medicine that anyone gives me does the opposite effect my heart pills help me with my heart but also they help me concentrate i dont know y but wen i take my add meds intead of them makeing me happy they make me angry and sad and i have an ablation and a pace maker comeing up and i would like to know wat it is really gone feel like.
I AM SCARED TO DEATH!!!!   MY 13 YEAR OLD GIRL IS HAVING ABLATION SURGERY IN THE MORNING!   FOR THE 2ND TIME. THE 1ST TIME SHE WAS ONLY ABOUT 5 YEARS OLD AND THE DOC'S HAD TO STOP THE SURGERY BECAUSE THEY DIDNT THINK SHE WAS STRONG ENOUGH FOR THEM TO FINISH. NOW AFTER READING ALL THE BAD STORIES I THINK I MIGHT BE HAVING A BOUT OF SVT MYSELF!  PRAY FOR HER.

Well,
From reading all the terrifying stories,
I am here to tell you that,
Im only 15 years old,
Am my Father Kenny,
Just recently pasted away of a STV.
He had surgery once [i think, maybe twice] when i was about 4 years old.
about 7 weeks ago today,
My father died at the age if 47 ,
in his Truck [ as he is a truck driver ]
As I live in New Zealand, not many people suffer here of STV as bad as leading up to having surgery.

My Father, suffered Chest pains, heart beats up to 260 bpm for atleast [ longest time] just over an hour.
he had medication to help with the pain buh unfortunately he pasted away.
it all started when he was in hospital when he was 13 from a accident with his fingers.
they had been chopped off by a mincer in a butchery store.
anyways cutting to the chase,
he was in hospital for 3 years recovering from his accident and about 2 years in he was diagnosed with STV or in New Zealand we call it an arrhythmia  or a heart problem.
for the last 30 odd years my father has suffered from this horrible disease and has now peacefully passed away.
i am telling you now, Im only 15 years old and i still need my father but because of this horrible disease, it has killed my father, for me he passed away at a young age.

thanks
Lace
I was diagnosed when I was about a year old with SVT.  When I was roughly 10 years old, I had this surgery done.  I was told that there was a chance that I could die from the surgery alone.  I was put under and kept in the hospital for 3 days total.  The doctors told me I had an extra nerve behind my heart that could possibly grow back.  I believe it has grown back, but my SVT has not cause any problems since the surgery.  I am now 24 years old.
My father is actually in the hospital right now having his second ablation done for his a fib. He is having the non invasive surgery done which takes 4-6 hours. He will be under anesthesia for the surgery and will spend the first couple hours in ICU for monitoring purposes.  

He decided to have a second ablation because there had been new research performed that makes the surgery more accurate. His first ablation was in 2003 and at that time, doctors merely guessed and tried to predict where in the heart the signals were coming from causing his a fib. Now, they have narrowed down and know where the signals are coming from, making the surgery more beneficial for patients.

For my dad, the most painful part is the boredom after the surgery is done. Being off work for 2 weeks is not easy for him, but he's willing to try anything to stop his a fib.
I had a catheter ablation for severe SVT exactly a year ago. I would highly recommend it and I am quite the scardy cat. It seemed to have worked until about the last 2 months or so. I do not know if I am now having panic attacks or a milder return of SVT. Any thoughts? Also, after reading a lot of information I am now terrified of Sudden Cardiac Arrest. I am going to talk to my cardiologist tomorrow. Anyone have any similar instances? I am a 40 year old female in good health.
I have not heard of an ablation treatment lasting more than 6 months. Most people who get them continue to have more done over time. So my question is why do them if it does not last ?
They can last forever, that's why people go the ablation route, in the hopes that the arrythmeia will be permanently fixed.

I just wanted to comment on the person who said "non invasive procedure"...if you've never had it done on yourself please spare those who are looking for real information.  Electrophysiologists are called "invasive cardiologists" for a reason and EP studies and ablations are invasive procedures.  Some people are awake, some are not, it depends on the arrythmeia and the exact procedure being done.  Everyone is different.  

Personally, I've had 2 attempts, the last one a month ago, and the procedure itself could not have sucked more (I'm one of the "lucky" awake without sedation ones), but I am thankful that I was brave enough to try it the second time.  My breathing hasn't been this good in years and all of my major symptoms have disappeared.  There are positive results from ablations, the process is aweful, but personally it was one of the best decisions that i have ever made.  
i am 17 and have had this problem for as long as i can remember. recently tthey have been getting worse and i have started to fain, lose my sight or hearing. my doctor has booked me in for the surgry in 9 days and i am starting to freak out. she told me i would only be in hospital for the night and that it is a once off sugry. i go to uni will able still be able to attened the follwoing days lectures adn tuts? and how is the recovery in hopsital? and does anyone rememeber the surgry beacuse i got told i am going to awake? plz help i am fraking out alot!
I am a 51-year-old male. I don't have SVT, athough I was once diagnosed as having it about 10 years ago. I ended up having periodic bouts of atrial fibrillation (AFIB), also known as "paroxysmal atrial fibrillation." You can read about that elsewhere, but I can assure you that an episode is distressing; when it happened I could actually observe my chest fluttering and would experience rapid and irregular ventricular contractions, too. Over time this condition is known to progress as the episodes become more and more frequent. I was taking 50 mg of atenolol daily and 150 mg of propafenone 3 times a day to control it, with marginal success.

The standard EP treatment for this is called a PVA (pulmonary vein ablation). This involves placing four (count 'em) shunts in your groin. They go up your vena cava, poke a hole from there through the heart septum into your LEFT atrium, and zap the area around all four pulmonary veins. I can't speak for the standard ablation for SVT, but I can tell you that this procedure was not a pleasant experience. I guess it's less invasive than splitting open your chest but there is a lot of bleeding and bruising; removing the four shunts 6 hours later while under no anesthesia was truly an ordeal.

That was 3 days ago. I feel like I'm bouncing back from the procedure pretty well but wonder if I'll be able to go back to work as quickly as originally planned. I do have chest pain and my lung function isn't yet what it was before the procedure, either. The good news is that I'm just having an occasional palpitation (a few times an hour) and I'm hoping even these will go away in time. This despite no longer having to take my meds.

One thing that makes my situation unique is that I also have pulsatile tinnitus. Every heartbeat that I have had in the last 4 years can be heard as a ringing in my left ear. Ring...ring...ring...it never stops. I guess that's good but because of this I may be more sensitive to what is going on in my chest than a lot folks would be.

I really do think that anyone who tells you this procedure is 90% effective or even 75% is looking at it with rose-colored glasses. I'm just crossing my fingers and hoping that things continue to improve, because I'm not sure I could go through with this again.

The one thread I've noticed here is people complaining about having to give up their coffee or tea. A word of advice on that:  If you persist in drinking caffeinated beverages you can expect to suffer the consequences. In fact I have also had to avoid a lot of cold remedies and all foods containing glutamates (including MSG). The doctors doubt me about the MSG statement but in my case it made a significant difference.

In short, the sooner you resign yourself to giving up on stimulants the better off you will be. Suck it up and find some other way to get jump-started in the morning.

how long do you think you will not be able to go back to work beacuse i was hoping to go back to uni the monday after my surgry (friday)? i am really not looking forward to this surgry but i have resingned my slef to the fact it must happen after balcking out and losing vission for most of the night again at a party due to this condition. also as recently having the surgry how much do you remember after you come out?
I apologize if my story proved to be intimidating. I admit that I had a lot of second thoughts myself before finally deciding to go through with it.

In my case, I was told to take 5 days before attempting to go back to work; despite the fact that I have a desk job which is not physically challenging. Although I think it's unlikely that you will be able to return to school in only 3 days:

1) your condition is different (AFIB vs SVT),
2) you're probably getting a different procedure than I did, and
3) you're a lot younger than me.

One thing about AFIB is that the condition requires constant maintenance of blood clotting factors to reduce the risk of stroke. I take Coumadin (a "blood thinner") for this. Part of Coumadin therapy is careful monitoring of my diet -- too much spinach or brussels sprouts or other foods high in Vitamin K will cause my clotting times to be too early and I become a stroke risk all over again. I find this ironic as I've always thought of greens as being very healthy thing to eat.

My ablation was originally scheduled for just before Christmas, but had to be rescheduled at the last minute when my clotting times drifted out of range. Having to prepare myself mentally on two separate occasions to receive one procedure was frustrating.

Anyway, my Coumadin had to be discontinued for several days before the procedure so I didn't bleed out on the table. Now that it's over, I have to get my clotting times back up. So I have to find some way to get myself to a medical facility for an urgent blood draw 1-2 times a week; in the meantime I'm required to give myself injections of Lovenox (another blood-thinner) twice a day.

Once my Coumadin kicks back in then I can stop giving myself the injections and the frequency of the blood draws will decrease again. It's my hope that in another 3 months I can stop the Coumadin too, and go celebrate the event with a big spinach salad.

I can tell you that jumping through all these hoops has been almost as much of a pain in the posterior as the ablation itself. Unless your doctor is asking you to do the same for SVT then I suspect your experience will be substantially different [easier] than mine.

Good luck!
I forgot to answer part of your question. I was sedated for my procedure. The only thing I clearly recall about it was some vomiting, and that whoever had to hold the pan for me wasn't pleased.
thanks that helps a bit i think i have finally manged to excpet that it will happen and what ever happens after happens (though i really would like to go out the weekend after lol). the only thing that is slightly worrying is how mush i will remember or how i will act on the table being awake but that seems so small u in comparrsion to your ordeal that it has put mine back in perspective =)
I am scheduled for an ablation/ep study in mid April. I have been reading these boards and I am concerned about the recovery.  I have to travel (airplane) in early June.  Is this sufficient recovery time?  Will travel be dangerous 7 or so weeks later? Everyone seems to have different opinions about recovery.  Will my heart be "irritated"? I worry about PVC's and new arrythmias making traveling miserable.  Any advice is appreciated.
I had an ablation on Feb 26th and I was able to return to work Monday after getting out of the hospital on Saturday morning so no worries with recovery time. I was a bit tired for the first week but nothing too serious and I have a high stress occupation. I am 2 weeks out and a bit frustrated because I had two episodes of sinus tachycardia since my surgery and I'm hoping that it's temporary and my heart will calm down. I was around 105 - 110 beats a minute which is nothing like the 180 - 220 I used to have with AVNRT and I had an EKG done and they said it looked normal. Otherwise I consider it a big success. Did anyone have sinus tachycardia for a few months after ablation that calmed down eventually? Is that normal? Thanks.
I to was a SVT sufferer. I was told i was born with it. I ended up having episodes around 4 times a week lasting anywhere up to an hour and sometimes less and more. The funny thing is i have been having episodes since i was a young teenager.I am now 30 and have never been overweight and am healthy except for  the heart thing. About 4.5 years ago i was diagnosed with SVT at a heart rate of 320bpm. It didnt help that i was 5.5 monhs pregnant with first bub. I was given adenison to stop that episode. It has taken me 4.5 yrs to get the courage up to having an ablasion which I did end up having  in nov last year 2009. Im so glad I had this simple procedure done. I strongly recomend to any one in a similar situation to have this procedure done. It has made such a difference to my quality of life and i am very thankfull i can live normally for the first time.  
Take care all.
i had an ablation 2008 in birmingham hospital at Alabama, they told me that everything is Ok, but after 8 months i came back here to africa i get sick again and i need to do an ablation again but  no hospital here can do the ablation for me ,so i need a help from anyone can help me to goback to the USA to visit the Hospital Again ,this is my  EMAIL:***@**** ,if u contact me by this EMAIL i can can give you more informations , please help me .thanks
I had ablation today may 5 and they could not find where to do the ablation has anyone ever herd of this? I went through all of this for nothing
Im 59 years old, and have had SVT since I was 29. Actually the first event I had was at 16 when I smoked marijuana for the first and last time. Then, didn't have an event until I was pregnant with my first child and was diagnosed with "PAT".( what they called it back then) I've been on beta-blockers for about 28 years which managed the flutters and bad runs which would happen about 2-3 years. Red wine definitely made it worse, as did caffine. About 2 months ago, during a very stressfu- l time- I felt that old feeling- missed beats and then 280 beats per minutes. EMTs called, and I was brought to ER. My cardiologist said- that's it- ablation. I just had it done on Mon., and the doc ( who was doing 6 other similar procedures and 2 pacemakers the same day) pronounced me cured. I was elated until the next morning I had a short run of tach which was captured on the heart monitor. The nurse looked at the tape, and said- yeah that was SVT. The doc came in, very defensive and angry at the nurse- insisting it was NOT SVT, but rather an arrthmia caused by a heart blockage in the lower chambers. Now- a new wrinkle, maybe heart disease? Have to check this out with cardiologist. Ugh.
Hey.
I had a failed ablation too i went and saw another doctor and he said it failed because i was under anesthetic sometimes its messes with the heartbeats maybe that is what happened to you?
I have had my SVT since i was very little i am now 18. they told me when i was seven that nothing could be done...last yr i went to a doctor and he told me about the surgery and he booked me in...i like u was terrified, having a phobia of needles and blood. the worst part was the fact that i had to have a cannula and that freaked me out. I went in for the surgery and then after 3 hours came out sore as hell. They couldn't find where it was for the first hour and half, so they went through the top of my chest..just under the collarbone...I was extremely sore and tired when i came out...i was in hospital an extra 8 hours after and as i couldnt keep my food down...then the nurse took the cannula out and i fainted haha but i went home an hour later...i was sore and felt very fatigued for a month after...i kept getting little episodes of what svt like just little jumps..that was4 months ago and i have to have another svt ablation as the first one didnt work..after the first month i started to get the "normal" racing of the heart again and now im all set for another in a couple of months...im alot more calm about it yet scared cuz i know how much pain im in for..you with be fine im sure!!
Im 27 had an ablation last week (13/07/10) after suffering from SVT since i was 10years old. I had been told when i was younger i would grow out of it, but never did. My episodes would last 20mins-2hours, and my heart rate would get to 260bpm...which i found out by a heart monitor. It would be brought on by lifting objects too quickly, if i got really angry, and sometimes when i was just sitting doing nothing. So no real pattern. But the episodes caused me a huge amount of anxiety, and i would feel faint and sick, and i would think about it all the time. It was affect my life.

I finally went to see a really good cardiologist in Melbourne, and he booked me in for the ablation two weeks later. I was anxious but i went to a fantastic hospital and everyone was lovely and made me feel a lot calmer. I had a general anesthetic and the cardiologist said the operation went like clockwork and i had the most common form of SVT. He said my heart took off with the adrenalin and it was easy to burn away the extra pathway i had causing the SVT. It took 1 and a half hours all up.

After the op my throat was a bit sore from the breathing tube. i was in hospital over night, the worst part was lying flat in uncomfortable hospital beds. But the staff gave me pain killers and hot towels that helped. They gave me two injections in my stomach to stop blood clotting...and im such a wimp when it comes to that stuff...but all the needles did not hurt a bit...and thats a big statement coming from me!

Since the operation i have felt tightness when breathing and a slight aching in my chest which i can feel usually at the end of the day. I was back to work in five days and actually went running the day before that! So far no SVT...although i have had little flutters that feels like im going to get it but my heartbeat just goes back to normal. The cardiologist warned me this would happen.

Im so glad i had it done. The operation is minor, and recovery is very short. I just think the key is finding the right doctor.

I just had the abalatioon surgery friday July 23, 2010  WOW I thought I was in another world - I am  68 and have had this rapid heart beat for about 10 years _ about 5 yrs ago I went to the Dr trying to find out what the rapid beat was about - wore a monitor for a week with nothing happening - This last time ( about 3 months ago) I wore it again for 10 uncomfortable days - it happened twice -yielding great results. It was classic SVT so the Dr thought and he was correct - went in for the abalation /// very modern hospital very high tech  Like I said I thought I was in another world.... I didn't want to be awake which was no issue - when I awoke I was in recovery room - they went in both arteries inthe groin... worse part was being on my back lying flat for hours... seems like days - very uncomfortable...
Stayed overnight  (food was terrible) - discharged the next AM- now my legs ache like cragy - I am told this is nrmal..oh well  - someone else will have to take out the trash, since no lifting for 10 days ( I told everyone for 3 months) - If I have to do this again , it wouldn't bother me at all - time will tell if it worked the Dr claims he got it with a 95% success ...
good luck to all thinking about this proceedure hope it is as good as mine... oh yea I have 2 punctures in the groin area... with almost no bleeding.. two small dots of blood... worse part was removing the bandge myself...even that was not too bad...
I had my ablation done about three weeks to a month ago. I'm still getting the rapid heart beat and the last couple days I have had really bad balance and I can feel my heart beat in my neck, eyes and brain (head around my brain)   has anyone else had this after the surgery???   does this go away or did the doctor miss something???
I had the non-surgical ablation on Thursday. It was a unique experience. I was awake and got to watch the screen. I talked to the drs throughout.It was over in 4 Hrs. I had to
take it easy the first dayand can't return to the gym for one week, but feel great! the drs believe it was a success and they ablated the area it was coming from.
I am 55 and very fit and healthy.I have always worked out. Two yrs ago I had my first experience of SVT. The first 4 episodes lasted about 15 mins and finally subsided. It wasn't until I had to go to the hospital the first time and have it stopped that I learned about SVT. My heart rate was 200BPM. Eight months later I had another episode 228BPM and again off to the hospital.I tried all the maneuvres and they did not break it.
This time I said enough as I don't want to always wonder when it will occur again. I love to travel and this was beginning to debilitate my life. I am so happy I did this. I highly recommend this option.
I had an EP study with Ablation done on the 17th of this month and, needless to say, I'm glad I had it done but don't want to have to go through that procedure again. I don't want to scare anyone but for any of you who know what an attack feels like.....they have to keep you awake during the procedure and they put your heart into an attack (3 times for me) in order to find the bad pathways. I can't tell you how horrible it was to lie there wide awake and feel my heart racing, chest tightening and hurting, body shaking and unable to breath without being able to vagel....which is my natural instinct when an attack comes on. I knew I was in good hands but is was so painful and scary. My cardiologist ablated 7 places and felt confident that my procedure was a success, thank goodness. Additionally, the 4 hours flat on your back is so painful too.....that added to the 5 hours flat on my back for the procedure.....that's 9 hours flat on your back and wide awake for all of it. All I could do was wiggle my toes and raise my arms but had to keep my head and legs still. Would I do it again? Yes, however, I honestly wish I could have been put to sleep either during the procedure or given some heavy duty pain meds and sleep aids after to ease some of the pain on my body.
Hi, Im 19 and I was diagnosed with SVT about a year ago. My first attack ma heart rate was about 238..now I have been on metropol 50mg and ma heart rate stays around 90-100. Sometimes I have chest pain or get a sudden impulse but its not as bad as it used to be. My doctor told me to consider getting ablation done to cure it however I am very nervous about the surgery. Im wondering if I should just continue with the meds or have the procedure done? suggestions please
I just had an ablation done for my SVT on Monday this week, It is now Saturday and I have gone back to work on Thursday, I started working out at the gym on Wednesday treadmill only.  My surgery was quick and a success, I had minor pain by the groin area and the drugs given at the surgery are wonderful.  I feel 1000 times better, my heart beats slower I feel free from the abnormality I had in my heart that pained my days everyday in fear that it would come out and plague me.  So far I feel confident and without fear of doing the things I love med free.  If you are scared to do it dont be, I was trust me I wanted to die thinking about it, but after it was done I was like wow that was it, this simple thing that will change my life forever and I waited why?  Be strong and do it you will be happy you did and you will laugh on how you stressed way over nothing truly having a tooth pulled is way worse good luck.
I agree with rterran35, I have had PSVT since I was a teenager - I am now 52.

I have had an episode about once a month or every other month and could live with them; my concern was how much of a drain will these be on me as I get older (like 70 or 80)? I figure it was time to get this fixed.  

It was fine - don’t worry about it.

My 24 year old daughter had it done before me (she had more frequent and longer lasting episodes, hers was different – and they claim it’s not hereditary?). And her biggest complaint was the urine catheter (luckily guys get a condom catheter). You need this since you cannot move for the hours of the procedure and 6 hours after.

They gave me very light sedation and interested the catheters into both groins (I think there were 5 “things” total snaked up to my heart). They used these to trigger and monitor the event – yes that sucked having an event and just lying there but once they got it recorded they can stop it.

They then knocked me out for the ablation and I woke up in recovery.
I had mine done on a Friday and went home that Friday afternoon, took it easy Saturday, played nine holes of golf Sunday (18 would have been pushing it) and was back at work Monday. I plan to play hockey Sunday (9 days after the procedure).  

So far it’s been 8 days and I am still bruised in the groin area but as bad as it looks - it doesn’t hurt at all.

Anyways my story – I never took anything for it and my goal is to never take anything for it. I was an anomaly to the medical staff because no one believed at 52 that I don’t take ANY medication – and I am proud of that.

Good luck.
I thought I would share a my positive story to help people feeling a bit uneasy about some of the negative and lingering complications.
I had my first episode back at the end of January while visiting my grandmother in the hospital. My heart went nuts and being a young 21 year old male I down played it and didn't say anything to anyone. After an hour I got weak and while going to sit down in a chair missed it. My mother freaked out and the nurse came and they couldn't pick up my heart rate on there machine so they took me to the ER. My heart rate was clocked at 315 and they shocked me. I had a bunch of tests and the Doctor told me i had SVT. He said its not really a big deal but more of an inconvenience and didn't put me on anything so i got sent home. He taught me the vagal manoeuvres incase it happens again but it wasn't suppose to happen that often. If your every doubting having the procedure, don't, get in as soon as possible and you can return to a normal life.
Well 3 days later it happened again, the vagal manoeuvres were useless so back I go to the ER this time i'm introduced to the lovely drug adosine. That alone is the worst thing about having SVT. So again they didn't do anything and sent me home.
Within the next 3 weeks, I knew most nurses by name and most doctors knew me by name. Finally I had a doctor that I personally new from work. He put me on a high dose of metropolol. And he also put me on "The List". Being from Canada, sure we don't pay for healthcare but the lists are miles long and the wait times are ridiculous. So they told me id be looking at a year wait.
Needless to say, I had over 30 hospital visits the next 3 months. I only successfully stopped the svt using the vagal manoeuvres 3 times on my own. The rest of the times I couldn't so id wait a couple hours to see if it would stop. The slowest I every got clocked in at was 225 so they upgraded me to urgent and finally got in at the end of August. The doctors were always good and having a rapid heart rate never meant waiting in the emergency room so they told me come back any time, cause this isn't something to mess around with.
The actual procedure took 6 hours while i was wide awake the hole time. The doctor told me I was he biggest challenge ever since he triggered the svt and then couldn't stop it. He finally had to take everything out and give me adosine before going back in. I had to lay still for 3 hours afterwards and than walk around for a hour on my own. He said it was 95% successful. Following the procedure he kept me on metropolo for a month while shrinking the dosage every week. Its been about 3 months and I haven't had any complications other than noticing the odd missed heart beat but Im sure I have missed tons prior to this hole situation but now i am aware of anything concerning my heart. He told me that everyone following the procedure will for the remainder of there lives be more aware of all heart beats and always assume it's because of the ablation but he assured me that very rarely is it ever something to worry about.
I'm not sure what svt or all those things stand for to be honest I just know the full names but anyways here's my story. In simple I had this thing that was basically an "acessory pathway" it was basically a piece of heart tissue I guess u could say that shouldn't have been there that caused the "electrical current" of my heart to sometimes go in circles causing extra heartbeats. It would trigger alot when I was active but not all the time more like 30-40% of the time, but enough to make me worried to live normally. When this would trigger my heart would go up to 230-250 bpm. Anyways one day an ambulance got to me fast enough to record the thing on a monitor and after a few months I finally had the ablation surgery. (that was 2 days ago actually) I was extremely nervous and I thought about everything like what if they screw up, or what if they don't find it or like anything. So the surgery to be honest was a bit uncomfortable at times but not too bad, worst part was them triggering my heart to find it. The incesion is small and putting the wires in is uncomfortable because of this pressure, but they give you amazing drugs to make you not care. So all in all it was easier then expected and they destroyed that spot. (they do that with radiation) there is always a 2% chance for it to come back but it's usually very unlikely, 98% chance is alot greater, remember that. The healing process seems to be fast, cause after two days I already feel alot less sore! As for any post palpations being normal, I can't say. I'm going to ask my doctor in a few days because I did feel a couple minor weird feelings as if one or two skipped beats, nothing uncomfortable, but something I'd like to double check is normal. Anyways hope my long comment helped you or anyone out there! Lol. And to anyone going for an ablation, good luck and don't worry!
I had ablation done to me july 2010 and the doctor told me that for a little while ill feel missed heart beats and that i was supposed to be cured ... thing is that now its january 25, 2010 and i have been having a lot of the symptoms of SVT back .. it hasnt been long since i had the surgery and they only could find a nerve in my left ventrical so they were supposed to fix it. I am frightened that it hasnt been fixed and i dnt know what to do ... is this normal?
im 13 and i noticed my rapid heartbeat about a year a go, i go in for the surgery tomorrow, im more anxious then i am scared.... hope all turns out well, thanks for the positive comments, it really helped me be more excited then nervous! thanks!
hello, I had ablation surgery friday.  I just turnrd 50 in Feb. I had a stroke last aug 31st while on a business trip. I am not overweight and a non smoker. The stroke was caused by AFIB, flutter and a blood condition, Factor 5.  I did not know I had any of that until after the stroke.  I was lucky. I had almost a full recovery from the stroke, some hearing loss.

I had the proceedure to stop the afib and flutter.  they fixed the flutter but did not go to the left side of the heart as they saw a clot during the proceedure.  the heart feels ok and the 3 wounds are healing fine.

I have had MAJOR Stomcac pain and pain in my lower right back.  Also some constipation. It really hurts to whare i can even sleep. Did anyone else experience this

I am on blood thinners and heart drugs too.  thanks
I think your stomach pain is definately from your meds.  I don't know about the lower back pain though...

I woke up Dec. 29, 2009 with constant PACs... and spuratically all of the other atrial arrhythmias.  :(  Anyway... last week my 24 hr holter showed SVTs over 250 bpm.  This happens anytime I do any excercise or strenuous activity.  I asked to try Toporol again even though they don't think it will work.  The docs suggest ablation.  I am scared.  Does anyone know the best EP to do ablation in Southern Cal?
Thanks,
Clarissa
why did they go trow ur neck and growing to do the heart ablation
i had mine done last week at UAB in Birmingham ,Alabama i feel it was one of the best decisions i ever made ,i had sever a fib for about 2 years ,quality of life very low due to the a fib ,i could barley walk across a room ,i have felt great ever since the second day after ,the whole procudure only took an hour ,the only thing that bothered me was  no one told me my chest might be sore and it might hurt to breath the first couple of days ,but motrin took care of that and it mostly hurt when i laid down,by the evening of the second day after the ablasion even that was gone ,i have had no brusing and only a small knot at the groin entry point and yea the laying still for 6 hours sucked,first time in my life i ever used a bed pan l.o.l.
My son is 3 years old and has had SVT since he was 1 month. He has been on 5 different meds for his first year, then the dr took him off of 3 of the meds. Now his dr is saying he needs to have a surgery. I am trying to find out all i can so i can help my 3 year old prepare for the surgery. What do we need to know about this surgery.
A month ago i had an ablation done for svt.  I notice now after I workout my  chest gets swollen. Has anyone experienced this before? I do some pretty intense workouts.I don't know if that's it. I thought maybe I was being paranoid but my mom noticed how swollen it was after I came back from a 3mile run.
My hear doesn't hurt and before the ablation my heart rate got over 200 now it goes to 150 which is awesome, but i'm a little concerned about the swelling.
Anyone???
Thank you for this post. I also have afib and I'm going into the hospital for ablation next Tues. I'm so scared but I don't want to be on beta blockers and other meds the rest of my life. This post really made me feel better because I too have been questioning myself on if I really need this. I know it's for the best.
Thanks Again. :)
After four episode of SVT in a year, each one requiring an overnight in a hospital, I decided that the beta blockers were not helping and opted to have an ablation. I am the biggest wimp when it comes to medical procedures but am very glad I had it done. The absolute worst part was just getting prepped and the waiting. I was supposed to have mine done first thing in the morning, but the doctors wound up in emergency procedures all day, and I lied in the prep room worrying until 4PM! I remember getting brought into the actual room and being prepped a bit, but then do not even remember them releasing the anaesthesia into my system - just woke up with the doctor in my room saying "it's done. you should be 100% cured." One piece of advice, make sure that the doctors are communicating to you very clearly about which SVT you have. Although I thought I had a-fib, the electrophysiologist said I had a very clear case of a-flutter which is more predictable and responds more successfully to ablations. It is now six months after my ablation and I have not had one episode of flutter or fib. I have gotten my cardiologist to halve my dosage of metoprolol (now take 25mg right before bedtime). I couldn't take the medicine during the day anymore. It just made me too droopy and lazy. I would not mind getting off the metoprolol 100% but my doctor seems to be playing it safe considering my family history of heart attacks, and actually said the small dose I am taking, over the long term, actually lowers the risk of a heart attack. Hope this helps. - TS
hi all am having ablation on nov 9th 2011 and really worried. Have had 2 major episodes of svt in excess of 250 and lasting 5 hrs in the past 6 weeks.Was told that i had probably had suffered from this for sometime but had just put it down to anxiety.The Drs also found a murmur caused by a qiite a moderate leak on my aorta, was told this can cause svt but they dont know if it is the cause. After readingsome of your comments and everyone elses i am starting to feel very apprehensive and worried, more worried that as my aorta isn't 100% i am more likely to have complications, is there any reasuring advice?
Thanks Teresa
Yes Matt I agree with you- I am so so scared. I am due to call my doctor and set up my appt for the ablation surgery in a week. I just am too nervous and need to hear some positive feedback. I see your post is from 2009, so how are you and how did your procedure work out for you?
I get heart palpatations that would last for an hour and just tire me out and just holds me back on my life style. Always thinking or worrying when I will get an episode so the doctor said we should do this and I would be cured.But now I am reading scary stuff and I am more terrified.
I had an ablation done 2 days ago 11/4/2011 and an so happy I did it.  I feel great.  I too was very scared and wondering what I had gotten myself into.  My procedure was scheduled for 7 am and I was back in my room by 7:50.  The doctor was able to find the site to ablate immediately.  He tried to set me back into the irregular heartbeat and was unable to.  He feels 99% sure the abation was successful.  I had been having STV's for about 15 years, 5 times I had to go to the ER to be converted back to normal rythem with 3 or them being this year.  The STV was starting to control my life. I no longer felt I could travel for fear I would be in a plane and not convert back.  I had been on medication and it was no longer controlling the tachycardia.   I have no other heart issues and was on no other medications so my procedure was rather simple. As for pain, I have a very little discomfort at the entry site in my chest but certainly no pain.  I now wish I had done this years ago.  
I am 14 and i'm having to get the ablation done on november 23rd. I was diagnosed through a heart monitor without even having to see a doctor. I have my heart "episodes" about every other day and they've been getting more frequent through this past month. They usually happen when I am just waking up in the morning or when i'm playing my instrument in band. I usually get shortness of breath and tightness in my chest. Recently though I have been starting to feel dizzy.  My heart rate has gotten up to 221 and I am freaking out about the ablation too. I've been researching it for about a week now to see how peoples outcome of this procedure is. So far I've gotten mostly positive comments about it so it's made me feel better about this whole thing.
I'm a 22 year old female and I had the ablation procedure done almost 4 years ago at St. Michaels Hospital in Toronto, Ontario. I started having palpitations when I was 13 and they continued to get worse as I got older. I didn't take any medication until after my most serious episode which landed me in the ER for the first time for my palps. My HR was 260bpm and it eventually slowed down after the cardiologist instructed me to "bare down". I was then placed on metoprolol 25mg twice daily, but I still had the occasional palp, and my dose was increased to 37.5mg twice daily. I then decided to have the ablation procedure done. It had to be done twice. During the first surgery they found out the problem was on the left side of my heart and the Dr. punctured my pericardium which meant they had to immediately stop the procedure due to the potential of a stroke. I was terrified. At that time I had just turned 19, I was lying awake of the table, in tears thinking I was going to die. What made matters worse; I had to return two weeks later so they could finish what they started.
Here I am almost 4 years later. I haven’t had a palpitation since my surgeries but as of 6 months ago I developed tachycardia and I am now on bisoprolol 2.5mg once daily, which I will probably take for the rest of my life. Since my surgeries I have suffered frequent anxiety attacks, which I will admit, have landed me in the ER because I think my heart is giving out on me.
I had my ablation one week ago, last Thursday. It took about 2 hours and 15 minutes. Fortunately, I had plenty of ER, EKGs that showed where the problem was located.  I was terribly nervous, but surprised it went so well. The doctor commented that the problem was fixed, time will tell.

By Saturday morning, I noticed some awful looking bruising/hematoma in the groin area, one side worse that the other. I called the hospital over the weekend to make certain that everything was OK and it seems as if it is. I look like I'm wearing B&B bikini underwear. I've been a bit tired all week and going to bed early. The first four days I had alot of fluttering, but not tachycardia. I went back to work on Tuesday.

At this point my only concerns are that I'm still a bit tired and I feel as if I have a marble at each of the two incision sites near the groin. I'm starting to wonder if they are because of the incision or if it could be a lymph node?? They are a bit tender at the "marble" and going up along the bone a couple of inches, and somewhat but not extremely painful. I think I will call the office tomorrow, just to be certain that I do not have some sort of infection.

After my ablation, I had bruising just like you described,  A pretty awful yellowish, purple, black and blue. The bruising took around two weeks to look significantly better and I also had a spot near the insertion that felt like a lump. I was worried stiff and went to the doctor only to find that it was just part of the healing process.
I am a 45 year old female. SVT for about 10 years, but only had to go to ER with it in the last year, 3 times. Had my ablation 5 days ago. It was not really painful, just uncomfortable. For me my fear of the procedure made it worse than it needed to be. If I had to have it again, I certainly wouldn't look forward to it but wouldn't be so scared. I could feel the burning of the ablation (12 shots) and it felt like a short, sharp kind of pinch with a feeling of heat in the area, but not nasty. A lot of pushing and poking in the groin are, but with local anesthetic, basically painless other than the odd quick stab of pain. It took 2 hours and I was awake the whole time, though mildly sedated. My groin ached quite badly for the first couple of hours after, but not bad enough for pain killers. Dark patchy bruising in groin in an area probably about 10cm x 10cm. Still a little tender to touch, but not lumpy. Dull ache in leg when I walk. Chest pain for first few days and a few fluttery moments now and again. Exhausted for the first 1-2 days after, but better now. Stayed overnight in hospital. Pretty good now.  I am squeamish and easily frightened by medical procedures, but in the end this was ok. Don't be afraid of having it done.
Hi I was diagnosed with psvt when I was 13 after a loooong period of carrying around monitors everywhere with me. They tried medicine but i had some horrible side effects so I had my first ablation that year,one at 15 and  another at 17. I'm 20 now and the symptoms are all back again and I was just wondering if anyone has had more than 3 ablations??? I really don't want to take Medicine again
I've had 3 ablations and called it quits at that point. I still have my premature beats scattered throughout the day and PSVT a few days a week. But it's so much better than it used to be before the ablations. Now when my heart takes off it typically lasts less than a minute, only rarely does it go for as long as 15 minutes. I can work around that. I'm 59 and lived with this all my life so I'm quite used to it.

I have Diltiazem that I use when I'm having a bad heart day (lots of PSVT and some chest pain). Otherwise I don't take it every day. I use it as a "pill in the pocket" method which is acceptable.

I don't know how severe your arrhythmia is. Only your EP cardio can discuss other options with you. Perhaps you could get a second opinion.
i am 18 i have svt  and, i dont know what are they going to do to me. can you help me out?
.Hi there,

You joined in on a VERY old post that was created 2007 and I am hoping that the folks will see your post - may want to create a new one rather?

but here it goes:

I had ablation done in 2007 to treat SVT.  I was 32yrs old at the time.  I am now cured and only had it done the one time - Electro Cardio found extra AV node and ablated it.

There is nothing to be afraid of.  

You will get a sedative that will send you off to la-la land and when you wake up you will remember nothing of the procedure.  The procedure can take up to 5 hours, but it will feel like seconds to you.  Minimal pain and a bit of pressure in groin area (both sides) and you will not be able to sit up or walk for upto 6 hours.  You will stay for the night and be discharged in the morning.  The groin area is normally a bit bruised but not very painful.  After about 7 days later you will not even know you had the procedure done.

I can remember waking up with this perfect, soft heart beat and never had SVT attacks again.  Definitely worth it!

Let us know how you are doing.  

All the best, .
Hey there. I'm a 20 year old female who just underwent a catheter ablation for SVT. I have always been incredibly active, and haven't dealt with any problems of this sort until a little over two years ago. I have dealt with racing heart rates up to the 300's and honestly had accepted it as a way a life. It became my life...finally two weeks ago today I underwent an EP study with catheter ablation. I was conscious for the entire study and they couldn't calm me down enough to do the ablation so they completely put me to sleep. I'm still dealing with pain, burning in my chest, fatigue, and muscle pain and weakness. I was expecting to recover more quickly, but haven't had those results. I feel better than ever in terms of my heart--there is no problem there except for occasional pain which is nothing in comparison to what it used to be. I am a dancer and dance teacher and trying to get back in the groove. Dr thinks I'm just having a longer recovery period than normal and I am okay with that as long as things improve in the long run. How has other peoples experiences been with this? And what has your recovery time been like? Thanks for the help and input!
I had the eblation when i was 12 i had to have it done as it was giving me a really hard time i couldnt do anything like go on school trips etc as i was scared that my SVT would start. When i took an attack i had to go to hospital and get treating with a jab and indenizene in some cases my heart would go 400 bpm and you couldnt feel my pulse as it wa going that fast but i have had no symptons since so thanks god and good luck to the people having the op godbless ;)
Great reading your post.  I'm 55 and have been a "gym rat" since college.  Always had these little events, but had gotten where I just brushed them off as "holding mt breath too long" rapid heart beats.  Then, they RESLLY started bad two years ago.  So much, that had them everytime I worked out.  Running or weights.  Didn't matter.  Now, last Monday, 2-13-12, had an SVT ablation.  Went real smooth and just a few bumps.  But the sharp, and almost nauseous chest pains have hit.  Don't last long, but long enough to scare the hell outta me.  How lond did yours last?  And how long before I can get back to real workouts?
I've experienced that extreme exhaustion. My last episode was 14 hours long (I was too stupid to get to the hospital). My blood pressure crashed 60/40 and I could barely stay conscious. But my pulse was a steady 180. That was 7 days ago. I STILL feel like I got hit by a semi.  But part of it is that we gotta get out and start exercising (under dr care) to help rebuild our strength.
they make it active , straight away , even if they av to inject adreneline , i had my ablation , 3 days ago n it never worked , broadgreen in LIVERPOOL are fab bt  attempts to no Avail n i certaintly wouldnt go thru it again ......awake !
wow haha most of this isnt helping :)  i get a good one about twice a year.  I am the same way, freaking out over the procedure. any of you just been laying in bed and have your heart go off?  those are the worst.
I had a radio frequency ablation yesterday, 3/9/12 for 20,000+ PVCs a day.  It took 5 and  half hours and I was awake during the whole thing. First they numbed the groin up real good, which really didnt feel any worse than getting the iv put in my arm. The next thing i knew, the doctor was saying they had access, and was I was watching the wires being threaded to my heart...I couldn't feel them moving inside me, only the doctor's movement around the groin area could be felt, which didnt hurt.  Once the wires were in my heart (3 of them) for about 30 min they just kinda watched what my heart was doing on its own since it was beating abnormally without their help.  Then they used the wires that were in my heart to pace my heart, making it speed up, slow down, and they were able to get the wires positioned just right to reproduce the PVCs that i was having.  So then they inserted another wire, the ablation catheter.  And burned a spot.  Yes it did burn...sort of like eating something really hot and you get that burning feeling in your stomach. But the anesthesiologist very quickly gave me some pain meds which relieve the burning sensation completely.. Today, 24 hours later, I feel pretty good aside my my right groin area being a little sore and my muscles a little achy from the adrenaline they gave to speed my heart a little bit after they made the first burn and the pain med slowed my heart. All together they made 4 burns and so far I am very happy that I chose to had the ablation done.  The reason I am posting is because before I had the procedure done, I had read alot of these forums about having it done, and it seems not many people post what their result was afterwards, after all, most never have any reason to come back here...cause they had the procedure done and it was successful.  I would definitely do this again if the PVCs ever returned, it has been great not having my heart thump, skip, or flop around!
Woke up a few months ago out of a nice sound sleep. Heart rate was up to 220. Going tomorrow for catherter ablation surgery and I am freaked out. I have been having episodes for several years now but the older I get (turn 44 on March 28th), the worse they become. Hoping all goes well tomorrow and soon after can return to normal life. Miss having certain foods and miss my workouts but am so very grateful this can be fixed.
Having my ablation tomorrow. I too ignored mine for a long time. Started training for five mile runs with my sister and that is what triggered weekly episodes. I have not worked out for a few months now. I am hoping for a speedy recovery and to get back into running. Hope you feel better soon. I am so very nervous about tomorrow.
I had a cardiac ablation 6 days ago, Ist day post op a little chest and shoulder soreness, but after that no problems so far walking half mile a day pulse rate now 70 to 100, I feel fine, there's lots of negative feedback on this site, so negative that I am actually looking for things wrong and there is none.  On a positive note I feel pretty damn good.  I am fair, fat and fifty one with hypothyroidism.
Hi Chris,

Thanks for posting your story. My story is much like yours, however have not got the courage up enough to go through with an ablation procedure. My holter showed 8,000+ PVCs for one day and I think they caught me on a good day. How are you doing now? Are you happy with the results? Any new complications? My doctors are trying to talk me into taking Flecainide first before doing a procedure. Had you tried an antiarythmic first before doing the ablation? I think this medication could be just as risky as doing the procedure and I am afraid of either. I think I would prefer the ablation over the medication. I am only 39 and don't wan't to add a crazy dangerous medication this early in my life. I do need to take a risk and do something thought. My ticker is in good shape now and need to fix this before my heart enlarges. Thanks for your post!

skylerfox
Hello

I had SVT ablation 2 dys ago and I feel absolutely brilliant!  The whole procedure was painless and quick.  It took about an hour.  Recovering now and feeling great.  No issues or complications.  I have never been in hospital before for an operation or for anything come to think of it.  I didn't want medication everyday for the rest of my life either.  Nothing was scary about the whole thing. Very good aftercare from the nursing team and home in the same day.  I cannot fault the staff and surgeons at Chorley hospital (UK).
Regards
Andrew
Hi Folks:
Lotsa varying info here. I had RFA yesterday with 6 burn sites. I had a 20+ year history of events that had escalated recently and caused me to stop flying as a precaution. (I'm 61 and in good shape.) My procedure was at Emory in Atlanta GA and I have to say that after 10 other various surgeries, this was by far the most "pleasant" experience I ever had for ANY medical procedure. The staff, techs, facility and MD couldn't have been nicer. I went in at 10 and was on my way home at 4:00. Meds used were Versed and Fentanel (sp?) and were just fine. No real pain or discomfort today (little groin soreness, some very slight chest pain but not needing any pain meds.)  Only hitch was waking up last night with a brief event of SVT. I first tried to walk it off which didn't help and then used inversion technique noted below which stopped it immediatley. Not sure if that is common post-op for awhile and will check with MD today.

A tip I can pass along: while the Valsalva maneuver, oculocardiac reflex (pressing on eyes) and carotid reflex (pressing on carotid sinus in neck) can slow or reverese an event, I found the best method for me was an inversion table typically used for low back pain. If I could get on it within a few minutes of event starting, it stopped it 95% of the time.
Update: called facility and was told that some post-op episodes were common as heart heals and to give it a few weeks but also to log events for MD f/u visit.
Yes I have the same symptoms. I had an episode that lasted one hour a couple months ago and I was very exhausted for a week as well. I have also heard that the ablation is a very productive procedure from my cardiologist and am considering it but I am pretty nervous.
On perhaps 5-10 occasions during the first 36 years of my life, I had what I now realize where episodes of SVT – extremely fast heartbeat and dizziness when trying to stand.  Without knowing what the problem was, I simply kneeled down and held my breath and the symptoms went away.  

The symptoms started again while I was on vacation in July 2011, specifically, while I was swimming in the ocean.  This time the symptoms continued all day.  An EKG measured one episode at 250bpm.  I could always stop the episodes by holding my breath (rather than bearing down), but a few seconds or minutes later they would start again.  They lasted for months in this manner and then, suddenly, went away for a month or so.  I had an ablation procedure scheduled in March 2012.  But the doctor’s office called to reschedule the night before.  Because my symptoms had gone away at that time, I took this an excuse to put off the procedure indefinitely.

My symptoms returned the next time I went swimming in the ocean in April 2012.  On some days in this later series of episodes, my symptoms would go away completely.   But more often than not, I had symptoms all day.  And this time, unlike previously, the rapid heat beat kept me awake at night.   Sometimes the rapid beating was fast and powerful and I sweated profusely.  Sometimes it was lighter and merely annoying.  I didn’t measure my heart rate then, but still it was fast enough to keep me awake.  

Ultimately, the lack of sleep is what forced me to have a catheter ablation yesterday, May 25, 2012.  I didn't want to do it.  I thought I could just avoid swimming in the ocean.  But the doctor told me that while the trigger now is swimming, it could easy be something else in the future.

I arrived at the hospital at 9:00 for what was scheduled to be a 10:00 procedure.  The procedure before mine, however, took longer than expected and my procedure didn’t start until 12:30.  I waited hooked up to an IV.   I was told not to eat or drink anything from midnight before the procedure, so I didn’t expect to have to use the restroom.  But the IV necessitated three or four restroom trips.  This was not an easy thing to do while wearing only a hospital gown and toting an IV station.  Asking the nurse the turn down the drip helped a little, but I should have thought to schedule my procedure first so there would be no delay.

When the time came, I walked into a cold room with overhanging instruments and a bank of computer monitors.  The room was so cold, I was told, because the cold temperature helped some of the equipment.   Once I laid down, a team of technicians and assistants in masks and gowns moved quickly, strapping me down, fitting me with various monitors, shaving, wrapping and otherwise preparing me for the procedure.  The last thing I remember is the anesthesiologist asking me what sort of music I wanted to listen to.  

The next thing I remember was waking up in the recovery room around three hours after my procedure started.  I had a stuffy nose and a scratchy throat - I think mostly due to the constant air conditioning required to give the room positive pressure which wards off any drifting bacteria.  I also had a headache, but I was told that that was normal.

The doctor came in a few minutes after I woke up and told me she had the found the problem.  There was an aberrant bit of tissue on the left side of my heart which created a short circuit in the normal electrical impulses.  There is a more technical description of this, but that’s the general idea.  I was afraid that because I didn’t have symptoms for a day or so before, they would not be able to find the problem – but they were able to activate the problem pathway.  They had to go through the wall between the right and left sides of my heart, but that presented no special problem either.

The only complication was that one of the groin entry sites continued to bleed after recovery.  A nurse had to press hard against the incision for 15 minutes.  He apologized for the pain in advance – and it did hurt – but it was bearable and after 15 minutes the problem was fixed.

I went home at 7:30pm on the same day with four large bandages and covered in green dye – which I think was some sort of antibacterial treatment placed around the incision sites.  I was told to be a couch potato for the next two days, after which time I can take up some light walking and chores.  I can jog in a week.  I feel perfectly fine right now; the restrictions are to ensure that the incision sites don’t start bleeding again.

My heart has not raced since the procedure.  I was told to expect that I would occasionally feel as if I were going to go into SVT again but it would stop there – at the initial feeling with no actual SVT.  That has happened a few times.  But otherwise, I don’t even notice the beating of my heart anymore.

The worst part of the entire process was the anticipation, fear of the unknown, walking into that cold, strange room and surrendering all control over what happens to me.  People with more experience as patients are probably used to this.  But it was new to me.  In any event, there was no need to worry.  I have nothing but the highest praise for the professionals – from the doctors to the technicians to the admissions personnel – who played a role in the procedure.  It still seems like magic: I went to sleep and when I woke up my heart problems were fixed.  I can’t begin to imagine all of the medical science and technology that went into making the procedure so routine

The day before the procedure the hospital’s financial consultant called me to go over billing and insurance matters.  The total cost was about $27,000.00.  While that doesn’t seem like too high a price to fix a man’s heart, I’m thankful that my insurance covered most of it.
Had my ablation at Penn Presbyterian on May 23rd. Have been in and out of rythym since september of 2010...a result of undiagnosed sleep apnea. Stayed in rhythm  till december of 2011  Had a cardioversion. All was good for two moths then wham. An arguement with my husband sent me right back into rapid unrythmic heartbeats.  My cardiologist sent me to a well-known EP in hopes I would qualify for the procedure.
We got there at the prescribed time. They did an INR and my coumadin lvel was 1.8 so he decided to do a TEE to see of there were any clots in my heart. The op room was frigid. I got into theop room at12 ish and never came out until 8:30 pm. My body felt like it was hit by a truck.
We got there at the prescribed time. They did an INR and my coumadin lvel was 1.8 so he decided to do a TEE to see of there were any clots in my heart. The op room was frigid. I got into the op room at12 ish and never came out until 8:30 pm. My body felt like it was hit by a truck from being frozen on the table for all those hours.  Mythroat was the real victim fromthe TEE and the esophogeal tube. Even my teeth hurt. Still!  I am not feeling bad if i am sitting doing nothing but moving around makes me winded and then anxiety kicks in making me worse. I am hoping to get energy back and not be breathless real soon.  Have felt some occasional lightheadedness. And have an irritating cough - especia.ly when sleeping or
trying to.  Can anyone tell me when im goingto feel like a functioning person again?  My main complaint is that no one tells you how you're going to feel afterward and what to expect.  Im even afraid to take my pulse in case its still weird. I understand only 80% are successful and am afraid i'll be in the 20%ers. Is thisbreath problem normal after the op?
A brief follow up.  Significant bruising/discoloration appeared near the incision sites a few days after my procedure.  It isn't painful, but it is very ugly.  No bleeding, no pain.  I can now walk around without worry and mow the lawn.  I find myself very tired in the evening.  I think it is from the surgery but it may be from finally being up and about after almost a week of lethargy.

Still no SVT symptoms.  So far so good.
Well to be honest I must disagree. I'm going for an ablstion next week for my svt, and mine never last for over 10 mins. But 10 mins was enough time for me to lose consiousness driving home from work and crash my car. If you get palpitations at all and meds do nothing for them, insist to your cardiologist for an ablation. They might not be dangerous themselves, but they can lead to very dangerous situations.
After 11+ years of infrequent bouts of heart palpitations and two times wearing a Holter monitor, which yielded no results due to my heart not going into arrhythmia, I had another 30 day monitor about 2 months ago.  It registered an event, and it was diagnosed as SVT.  I am a Kaiser patient in CA, and my doctor immediately put me on Diltiazem and advised an SVT catheter ablation, which I had yesterday.

I reported to the hospital at 8:30am, had the procedure between 10am and noon, was back in recovery where I had to lie flat for 4 hours.  When I finally got up and walked, I started bleeding from the wound.  I lay down again, pressure and a sandbag were applied for 30+ minutes.  When I got up again to walk, all was okay, and I was released at 5:15pm.  I was told I had a routine AVRNT, which took 2 burns/zaps to correct.  I went home, ate dinner, took a nap and went to sleep a little earlier than usual.  I feel good today and will take it easy for the next few days.  So far, so good.

I would add that there was some discomfort during the procedure due to the cold room and the shivering I felt during the procedure, which was due to the drugs I was administered to trigger the arrhythmia so the doctor could find its location in my heart.  The other discomfort came afterwards in recovery when I felt an ache in my left scapula area, which made it difficult to doze off.  After I was able to stand up and move around, it went away.  I asked the nurse and doctor about it, but I got no definitive answer as to why my back was bothering me.

From my experience, I would recommend the procedure to anyone suffering from SVT.  Time will tell if the condition was completely corrected, as expected.  
Wondering about the problems the procedure created for you all..Not sure if I should have the SVT ablation yet....I had a PFO closure 3 years ago, not knowing that the implant would now pose a bigger problem. It's made of teflon coated titanium and nickel, which if heated at 240 degrees gives off gases that are toxic, perforations, etc.
Plus, not many surgeons are experienced with them. I had a pediatric cardiologist do my surgery because of his record.The episodes of AF are mostly when driving, so this is pretty upsetting. Anyone have experience with implants and then needing ablation? I'm so confused and the doctors are pressuring me to have the surgery soon. One more point~ how many surgeons HAVE DONE an ablation after PFO closure? It's so new (PFO implants) that its not so easy to find one even here in New York. My parents want me to find the best surgeon, but how? I almost wish I didn't have the PFO now. Maybe I should have had open heart surgery instead. My migraines were instantly helped though, and I'm glad I have my life back.I had no idea something else would go wrong .... Any suggestions?
So I am supposed to get the ablation done soon for SVT and I am wondering  if I should, do the benefits actually out weight the risk or should I just deal with the SVT. I've had 4 episodes of SVT this year, I've had it for over a year now and when I do get it, it does not go away until I go to the ER and the they give me an IV with medicine that stops and restarts my heart, so this is a very serious issue so they say. My doctor said there is a 1%t chance that after the operation that I would need a pace maker...that does not sound good at all. Now I'm starting to wonder if it is the right thing for me to do. I need help deciding.
I'm suppose to have the procedure done soon.  I too was afraid until reading all the comments on the subject.  I've been having episodes 3 to 4 times a week lasting some times 5 to 15 minutes.  My question is, is it heredity? My family is concern about me, but they also want to know where it came from and if they have to worry about it.  My daughter has been having some episodes also and also my sister.  Does anyone know if it is heredity?
I had an ablation in Dec. Of  08 after I started having problems thr day afteramd once went into a fib they said my heart was just swollenfrom the procedure and after being in icu for a week after the procedure I was doing okay butbthey put me back on toperol or hoe ever u spell it. Now recently 4 years later I'm having problemsnot so much episodes but my heart just feels like its pound real hard... my whole stomach moves when my heart beats. Ialso stomach problems ulcers and stuff. Butmy resting heart rate is high usually around110 bpm  . I haven't had an episode but I was wondering if anyone experiences this too or if its a sign that it wasn't completely fixed.  I will randomly get chest and arm pains too and sometimes I feel like I'm having premature valve contractions . Can anyone relate or maybe know if Therese are signs that my svt wasn't completely fixed or maybe just a bad case of anxiety any remarks would be helpfullythanks

I had my ablation about a month ago in London. Doctors and nurses were very good, they said 'it was successful' but... I passed out after the op when tried to go to toilet, and a month later I still feel pretty unwell...

I'm 39, I had supra-ventricular tachycardia. I took amiadorone for about 15 years (doctors in Portugal told me I should take it all my life when they diagnosed me with SVT); 3 years ago, doctors in London told me to stop the Amiadorone immediately and they've put me on Beta-blockers which didn't really stop the tachycardia episodes and would put my blood pressure really really low, making me tired and without energy. So I decided to make the ablation.

After the ablation, for the first 11 days I could not stand up, I couldn't walk at all! I would try but my legs were so shaky and painful that I would just start to cry. Then I started to walk very slowly, like a baby and then, when I could, I started learning some Tai Chi Walking exercises, which helped to gain strength, now I'm using ankle weights, and I can now walk nearly normally.

Since the ablation, my heart felt also very weird, odd beats, pressure and constant pain.

About two weeks ago I thought I was having an heart attack and called an ambulance. Doctor found out I had an inflamation (inflammation) of the muscles around the heart and I have been taking Ibuprofene which really helped with the pain. The heart feels better now, not so much odd beats anymore and had NO SVT.

But no one could explain why I couldn't walk at all...

I can go for small walks since last week but I feel very overwhelmed with sounds, cars, people etc, generally I'm just exhausted all the time and it's really tiring to do any activity. Had to cancel work and just staying mainly at home and in the garden.

Also since I started to go out of the house I notice my eyes really hurt and get tired (in particular doing small little movements, like in the supermarket); eyes get blurred, I start to sweat and have to leave. Now I notice this is happening also on computer, can't deal with facebook and browsing the internet, writing or reading is extremely tiring.

Does anyone had any of this? I called the doctors and they say it's not normal, that I should be fine after a week... I wonder if some of it could be related with side-effects/detox of the tablets I took for so long...?  

Also, I read here many people saying that realistically it takes up to 3 months for full recovery. Is this what I should expect?

Many thanks

Claudia

PS.
To build up my energy I started to take Ginseng tincture, and for circulation taking Ginkgo Biloba, plus Garlic pills, started these 3 days ago and I do feel some improvement.

Also it's great to find this forum, thanks everyone for sharing your experiences!

I have had SVT my entire life!  I didn't know that I had anything wrong with me, because it would only happen when I lay down at night to sleep.  Then my heart would race!  At about 44 years old, it started happening at different times of the day, so went to the ER, then Cardiologist.  After a month on an event monitor, I was diagnosed with SVT.  Was put on Atenolol, which slowed me down to almost a standstill.  Quit taking it.
Just 3 weeks ago, my supervisor took me to the ER because I had it at work for almost 4 hours.  Tried the face in ice water method, but didn't work this time.  
New Cardiologist suggests ablation, and I am going for it!  My sister has a fib, and it didn't work for her, but I am told with the SVT there is a 95% success rate.  I will be calling the electrophysiologist today for an appointment.
My husband was recently diagnosed with Alzheimer's, and I think the added stress is causing this to happen more often.  I am a cancer survivor, almost 7 years in remission, so hope that doesn't complicate anything, but can't wait to have this done.  :)
have to undergo Supraventricular tachycardia - catheter ablation.
Is it life threatening risky ? any major complications?
Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeease suggest...Pls
I had ablasion surgery at st. Luke's along with dr. Paulo Angelini from the Leachman cardiology group in Houston Texas. Call texas heart and they will recommend and guide you to health. With a genetic defect and not being able to walk and in pain, I was diagnosis with hypertrophic cardiomyopathy obstruction. We packed a suitcase and flew from Florida to Texas late Sunday night in February 2012. Scheduled testing office on Monday early morning, Tuesday we met the doctor at 8:30 a.m. And took the elevator to st. Luke's and at noon dr. Paulo Angelini was doing an alcohol ablasion. Scared, an induced heart attack and two blockagesinnthe chamber of my heart I was extremely lucky to have made 56. A temporary pacemaker, a leg brace to make sure my restless legs didn't move the wires of the pacemaker I layer awake all night hoping not to die. Made it through the night with fabulous care and ended up in an MRI for 2 hours and with fabulous results was discharged on Thursday afternoon. I had so many extra beats in my chest but was told come back in 6 months. Longer for theses beats to stop, debilitating wasn't even a strong enough statement. We flew back to see the doctor in October 2012 . Scheduled tests in office and an appointment with the doctor the following day. Scared out of my mind, the doctor prescribed coreg cr, well not convinced as to what would happen with this beta blocker after trying a beta blocker from my Florida doctor and feeling like I was going to go into a coma, I felt I had to try. Dr, Angelini promised the 20 extra beats per minute were not going to kill me and there are several time released medications to stop this madness of beats banging like the forth of July in my chest and back. With samples in tow I ran to water fountain and swallowed this tiny capsule and figured lets see what happens while I'm still in Houston and the doctor is 2 blocks away from my hotel. Well let me tell the world of readers, get your hands on this drug! It's now day 7 and the heart must be bathed in glory, as the pounding, the fireworks, the jiffy pop popping is faint, the back pain gone, the fireworks gone, the fear of being stopped dead in my tracks gone. It's not perfect , I still have a little bubbles in my throat but mt lord the rest has quieted down and I almost feel so normal that I don't know how to act.
Coreg cr is a beta blocker chosen for me in a time released cr. run don't be scared, I'm so greatful I ran and tried another beta blocker and didn't stop although scared that my pressure would drop and I'd go into a coma. I feel almost normal.ni feel excited. I feel less scared. I feel hope and joy after months of despair and devastation. Run , see your doctor, you too can feel happy and safe and relieved and start living life!
I'm having SVT ablation done tomorrow morning and I'm freaking out. I've been suffering with SVT since I was maybe 8, and now I'm 26. How long is the recovery time and was anyone awake during the procedure.
Hello. I had similar surgery in 2006 after finding I was born with this hereditary heart defect.
I had 2 pathways that both would trigger. Through-out my life I may have had fast heartbeats,not sure, I know I had palpitations, tho didn't know it was unusual. about 1999, I started having several health problems and also diagnosed with m.s. so that I was having spasms in my chest plus the svc,& aided in mis-diagnosis I believe. So, it's what 4 different hospitals and many many Doctor's called it, until the "unknown Doctor in my absent Cardiologist's office" saw my face that day, then asked me a few questions, wrote a name on a piece of paper with a phone number & sent me on my way! The name was to the Best Heart Surgeon, at St. Bernardine's Medical Center who knew the real problem. These attacks just hit at any time triggered by some things & more often than not without a reason, & Out of the blue "wham"! my head seemed to hit the ceiling, sick instantly to my stomach,(sudden drop in blood pressure)adrenaline shooting thru me, even paranoid-like at times tho to quick-going to care,and my heart would take off! Blood pressure at times bottomed out, by the time paramedics asked questions finally getting the thingy on my finger I was almost out! The first time paramedics were called for this, I'd laid down on the floor & my entire body was literally bouncing up and down from the fast heart rate, someone saw & called 911. Being alone mostly & not knowing as I said there were other health issues,I would pass out not realizing it was from my heart problem. Symptoms changed a lot. The 2 months with the Surgeon's pre op care, they gave me the correct medicine after 8 years of the wrong medicine, plus told me what symptoms to watch for saying they will change so pay attention etc.Being specialist's, when they asked questions,I didnt check boxes on a list, it's unbelievable, at least to me when the Doctor asks questions that I could answer & symptoms I had weren't ignored, the problem & care/ by these Professional's fit like a glove, the only time in 57 years I knew the Doctor cared, & I had total trust in him, & got  the care & problem fixed! They asked the right questions, knew what I was told by Other Doctors & inquired so that I told them what they expected I'd been told/taught by the other Doctor's, so they cautioned me,explained why, & didnt have me do any of it again, scheduling surgery ASAP.  This problem was severe From 1999 to August 2006. I went to the Hospital by ambulance only after the paramedics had to do a "push IV" to stop my heart/convert it then proceed to the e.r. at least, & "Honest to God", over 150 plus times at 1 hospital, but there were 4-5 or 6 different ones., even from work. It was scary, very dangerous, & I couldn't live a normal life, or work finally either. The ambulance paramedics didnt bring ekg/machines back then, plus when they couldnt get any veins they didnt know it was from going to the hospital this same way, poked prodded, abused & abused some more, & apparently one time the medic put in the report I was shooting drugs causing the problem. after the lumps,no veins(hard to get veins when no pulse,blood pressure adrenaline etc, am not the medic & could figure that out, You are OYO!).Later the hospital I went to the most often apologized to me for treating me/stabilize me that is & throw me out many times because I was labeled for shoting drugs. Finally they had faxes in the ambulance,because I heard the radio & the hospital e.r. hollering "where are you" then she proceeded to advise them to the iv thing, what was needed, being a regular & all...Several times, as there are many different paramedics/ambulance co.'s, so these guy's would be shaking, nervous or even shocked when finding out it wasn't routine or anxiety, or SVT! Some even stayed hours at er until I was stabilized after putting me through things some of these not so well knowing people put me through. Got apologies & saw them care, & one things for sure, they got a good hands on lesson!Still, it was dragged out too long being called svt,tachcardia,shooting up drugs to my heart, accusations, bad care and hurried e.r. rooms, only mis-diagnosed my condition. The Cardiac Doctor thought similarly plus I do have m.vp. slightly and another issue. My regular Cardiology clinic couldn't get an ecg/ekg that showed anything since once it's converted,or paramedics stopped/started by IV push, there's nothing to show because the rythym was normal & nothing comes up on the tests! By chance I was being shoved aside at an e.r. that I drove myself to, so I about crawled across the street to the cardiac Doctor's office and seen by a Doctore before the receptionist there closed her door on me,insted of listening to me or looking at me because a Docotor I didn't even know walking up to the recept. desk saw me as she shut her little door, He hollered "get her in here", next thing I knew they laid me down put the ekg wires on my heart which seemed to immediately convert by itself, blowing my eardrums out I felt like, one of the worst EVER, and they got the 1 and only ever scg/ekg that showed the problem after more test than I could begin to count. That Doctor asked me how many times I had gone to the Hospital & by ambulance, he didn't even blink an eye when I told him over 150+ times just at the regular community hospital (they used to say how many times is this Teresa, & kept me up on the amounts too! LOL). 2 months later one of the best days in my whole life came when I went in to get the 2nd path (burned or what they call it). Next day, I knew it was true for sure,I had always had the problem. I turned 51 years old that same month. I was not scared, I was ecstatic & ready to get this done! My Surgeon was wonderful, he changed & saved my life!  I would do it all over again.
Hi Kristin,
I had an ablation done for Atrial Fibrilation and SVTs at 250 as well.  The ablation helped me, I have no more palpitations and no SVT.  I have to be on Beta Blockers to slow my heart rate down.  After surgery it was at a normal rate for about two weeks and then I had no choice but to take the medicine.  Good luck Katherina
I had my ablation done March of 2012 to try to cure my A-Fib.  I have Paroxysmal AFib like Bruce and my episodes lasted anywhere from 10-30 hrs before converting back to normal rhthym on its own.  When they first started years ago, they occurred once every year/year and a half.  During the entire year of 2011 I averaged one episode a month.  My cardiologist changed my meds from the "pill in a pocket" method of treatment to daily meds.  After that my frequency increase to twice a month.  In Jan of '12 I decided to go through with the catheter cardiac ablation.  I researched it online and initially saw only side effects as risk of clots, puncturing the veins/heart, stroke, bruising, etc.  After the procedure, I started to have extremely painful swallowing.  My cardiologist "cleared" me to return to work saying my heart was normal, but referred me to an upper GI specialist about my swallowing.  Several visits to the other doc and a endoscopy to look down my esophagus, it was found that I had a severe ulcer in my upper esophagus immediately adjacent to my heart.  I found out (after specifically searching for esophageal damage associated with  cardiac ablations) that this can occurred in 5-14% of all ablations.  This also can cause a fistula (please look that up as according to medical studies is fatal in nearly every case it was diagnosed.)  The cardiologist basically burned via the HF radiowaves through my heart wall and into the side of my esophagus.  My ulcer was so severe that it eventually tore causing fluid from swallowing to leak directly into my chest cavity.  All of this was unknown to me until the inflammation from the increase fluid put pressure on my lungs and heart making it extremely painful and nearly impossible to breath.  An ambulance trip to the ER and 28 hours waiting in pain for them to try to diagnose and fix the problem was not fun.  I was eventually transferred to a more "reliable" medical facility where they found the tear and had to perform an emergency thoracotomy to fix the tear.  3 chest tubes and a 17 day stay in the hospital later I was back at home 20 pounds lighter than before it all happened and looking at 4 months of physical therapy to return to health.  I was 9 months AFib free and was back to my former running form (3-4 miles/run) when I started having episodes again.  

I say all this to warn you of "additional" risks/side effects that are not listed on most websites or even in your hospital paperwork.  Will I risk ablation again?  Only time and AFib frequency will tell.
Yes I also have S.V.T. What you should have been told by your doctor as well is that every time you have an event there is an enzyme that leaks out of your heart (after causing unfixable damage to the heart itself) that they can draw your blood and look at the levels. I wish I could remember the name of the enzyme it starts with a "T" and it requires them to draw your blood 3 times a few hours apart. Also, I hate to tell you this but having an S.V.T. Attack is really having a heart attack.
When you heart is in a rapid heartbeat situation your blood pressure drops because your heart is not able to ever do a complete pump action which means it is not able to effectively pump the blood through out your body.
Believe me I know how frightening this is to go through. My last episode lasted a little over 2 hours and on the heart monitor my highest beats per minute were at 190ish. That one was very different from the regular ones that I have been living with for years they usually for me are over within 30 mins. and I had made up my mind along time ago to not even worry about the B.P.M.'s . The only other really bad one that I had I was in the hospital about 6 months pregnant and with that one I was according to the heart monitor at 280 beats a minute. That time they put me in ICU for 3 days and then 1 week on the cardiac floor. This was a very long time ago before the option of surgery and all they could do was put me on meds that do not work and make every food a pregnant woman craves off limits. So my advice get the surgery I am going too. Then you will never have to deal with it again. I hope that my post helped you and others in some way. Good Luck to everyone out there dealing with this.
This was my experience.  Much easier to vlog than to write out.  Good luck! You'll be fine :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlVoK1W2gqM
I dont understand to all of you why you have to have 2-3 abalations?? It scares me that they cant get it right the first time? And then you all have some symptoms or more symptoms. After the procedure.  Im confused.
Many people go in, have an ablation and are good to go. That's why they say ablations are so successful. And people who are cured the first time in have no real need to come to a forum like this any more.

In my case, I have several different types of arrhythmias going on. That makes it a bit more difficult to correct. Like someone who falls and breaks his arm, gets a cast put on and in 6 - 8 weeks is healed compared to someone who had his arm crushed and needs multiple surgeries and treatment to fix it. It's just more complicated.

My cardiologist didn't realize the first time in all the problems my heart had. From the monitors I wore it looked like plain old PSVT. But then they found some other nonsense going on. He said it was like the 4th of July. LOL Plus, as sometimes happen, they do the ablation, can't trigger the tachy and it looks like the ablation was successful. Only a few months down the road, the tachy shows up again. That happens on a rare occasion. I just got lucky.  LOL again.

Hope that helps explain.
Hi I was dignost with Svt 2 years ago when I was 19 now I'm 21 And on medication .the medication seems to help a bit but I sometime have episodes .before I was dignost with Svt I was getting dizzy spells black out and tingly all through my body to the point the when I all that would accrue at the same time I would have like a hot flash go though as well I felt like that for several month and couldn't take it anymore So I went to the doctor and hospital in two different city's which the told me that I had panic attacks that was causing me to do that . About a month it continued and same episodes continue and went to the hospital which the we doctor told me I had Asma and perscibed me an enhailer about a could of weeks after It was getting worse where I was admitted to the hospital that they couldn't get my hard rate down from 245 they injected 9 medications in to the IV and with in each time they put medication into my IV within 5sec my heart rate went up they had to fly my to Texas Methodist hospital which I was admitted the and was in icu for about 5 days had so many test ran that day that they also told me that the enhailer they gave me made everything worse then it was sometimes I hate my life cause I go to doctor visits knowing am I the only young one here older people just stare at me....I'm am still having episodes everyone I'm awhile and also feeling much more tired ...I just sometimes don't know what to do no more.?!
Ive had SVT since I was 10yrs old. At 27 yrs old I finally braved it and went for the ablation because I wanted to start a family next year and my cardiologist said it would be safer for me and the baby if I had it done. my only symptoms were the palpitations. I used to get the attacks once/twice a month or if I had a cold and sniffed a lot (a bad habit) then sometimes up to 3 times a day. But I learned to control them with the 'valsalva manoever' well worth looking up. I could get rid of them within seconds of them starting, hence I had no need for hospital admission of medication or ablation until my GP visit. I was petrified about being awake through the whole procedure. But my consultant gave me pethadine and diazemols before he even started anything. I was awake the whole time and heard everything but felt nothing! it was weird almost 'outer body' experience. I went down at 1030 and was in the theatre for 3 hours because my SVT was stubborn to get started but he got it in the end. I am only 5 days post op and the bruising in the groin is going down already, should be back to work in 5 days times. ive got a 6 week follow up app but so far so good. DEFO RECOMMEND it! the risks are minimal and the benefits can be life changing. I can only wait and hope it has worked first time. but if not I will have no worries having it done a second time if needed. I had my surgery in England which from the posts above seem to be more successful????
TO ALL THE PEOPLE WHO SUFFER FROM SVT I JUST WANT TO SHARE THAT MY DOCTOR SAYS THAT WEN THIS OCCURS IT DOESN'T ALLOW SUFFICIENT BLOOD FLOW TO YOUR BODY AND IT SHOULDN'T GO ON LONGER THAN 4or5 MINUTES IF IT IS STILL NOT UNDER CONTROL AFTER 30 MINUTES U SHOULD GET TO THE HOSPITAL IT IS A SIMPLER HEART CONDITION THAN MOST BUT IF ITIS AFFECTING U AT THE MOMENT U SHOULD GO GET HELP IF U HAVE OTHER SYMPTOMS DURING U SHOULD DEFINITELY GO TO THE HOSPITAL AND A PERSON SAID THEY WERE WEAK AND ALL THIS OTHER STUFF FOR DAYS AFTER THAT'S NOT NORMAL IT SHOULDN'T GO ON FOR HOURS UR BRAIN AND THE REST OF YOUR BODY ISN'T GETTING PROPER OXYGEN WEN YOU'RE HEART IS BEATING THAT FAST NEXT TIME GO GET HELP RIGHT AWAY THAT COULD CAUSE UNNECESSARY PERMANENT DAMAGE TO YOUR BODY
I had my second ablation done for SVT a couple of weeks ago. The first one 4 years prior cured me of all symptoms for about a year and then it came back. The first episode I had after the ablation was when I was in very high altitudes and that one was debilitating, I couldn’t walk so I sat on the top of the mountain until it was time to take the ski lift back down. From then it pretty much came back.  I had the second ablation done after a particularly difficult summer where the humidity seemed to trigger it and I can't avoid humidity unless I move. Anyway, I'm still having symptoms after the second one. The most recent one was today and triggered by food, some foods will absolutely trigger an SVT, high fat, salt, wheat etc, (all of which I had for lunch) and surprisingly caffeine does not seem to trigger them for me unless it's a large amount of dark chocolate. So I'm starting a journal on what specific foods I should avoid.

Allowing the episodes go on for a long time is very unhealthy so if you don't already do this, try bearing down, you have to actually squat down and can't do this sitting down in a chair or whatever, so you squat down with your feet spread apart a little, you put your chest comfortably against your knees and just breathe, most times I can feel the heart "reset" itself, it's really surprising how well it works. It's funny because none of my doctors told me to do it, noooo, they much prefer to write prescriptions. I found this on my own. I did use beta blockers once or twice but my doctor didn't recommend them to be taken every day only when I have an episode and those work too but I just don't like to take any medication at all.
The procedure itself was done under general anesthesia and I felt excellent the next day with the exception of some groin pain only made worse by my kicking toddler. My doctor gave me a sript for 10 Percocets and I laughed, I didn’t even need Tylenol. I was told I couldn’t lift over 10 lbs for a week but that proved impossible with a 30 lb toddler who wanted mommy, nothing happened probably because my body has been lifting him every day so I was not straining to lift him, it was easy.
Let’s hope my SVT goes away once all heals and good luck to all of you!
When I was 8 the doctors all told me that nothing was wrong.  Now I'm 16 and the cardiologist just looked at the recordings that my heart monitor took, my history, and my symptoms and new right away that I had SVT.  

Sometimes my rapid beats last for 20ish seconds to 3 hours.  Once my heart just raced for 9 hours and I couldn't make it stop.  I almost fainted and I lost my sight for 10 seconds.  My chest was so sore the next day because of the rapid and hard beats.  

I have another meeting with my cardiologist on the 22 of July in Wexford.  Then an ablation scheduled for the 11 of August at UPMC Childrens Hospital in Pittsburgh.

I just had this svt surgery and ,yes it did suck. my question to everyone is , how is it that so many of us are suffering from the same physical problem? It has been pondering in my mind that so many people are having electrical mishaps in their hearts. Has anyone stopped to think of this , or am I just over thinking it?.
Just wondering if you're still on this forum and which EP you saw in melb
Do you have metal fillings? Do you get vaccines and flu shots every year?