Heart Disease Community
When To Worry About Chest Pain(s)

Join others with Heart Disease and get guidance and support. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

When To Worry About Chest Pain(s)

Last few days I've had a pain in my chest.  It only happens a few times a day (at most) and it's a short lived pain (couple seconds).  The rest of the time I feel normal.  The pain isn't excruciating or anything.  It's noticeable but mostly it's just alarming.  It is on my right side between my sternum and right nipple (slightly higher than nipple level, but an inch maybe?).

I'm 38, otherwise healthy, and I exercise regularly.  No other symptoms during these "pains."  In fact yesterday when it happened I was feeling great!!!  

So should I be concerned?  I looked at the anatomy of the heart and it is in a section where the heart could be, but I don't know that the pain is not in the bone, or muscle or the heart.  And if it is the heart (cause it feels deeper than if it were just muscle), are some heart pains safe????

The most common angina symptoms come on with exertion. For example, it could be that you are relaxed in a chair, then get up and start walking. The sudden increase in oxygen demand by the heart could initiate angina. It could take more exertion, such as walking up a flight of stairs, or several flights. It depends how bad the blockages in the blood vessels of the heart are. When the angina is felt, standing still or sitting down usually sees the angina disappear, and quite quickly, usually less than one or two minutes.
ANY chest pains should be reported to your Doctor.
Spasms can come on at any time.  I have them at night a lot and the pain with these spasms is the exact same as with the angina from exertion.  This is why I didn't realize I was having a heart attack in Feb.  No difference. Like Ed said, though, a trip to the doctor would be wise.  Take care, Ally