cardiac preload failure
Hello, After 10 years of trying to get an answer, I finally got a diagnosis of cardiac preload failure, low VOxmax, and decreased AT. I have shortness of breath, palpitations/heart racing, chest pains, fatigue, lightheaded.  Many many echos--three with bubbles.  A PFO showed up on one. Normal cardiac cath--they couldn't see the PFO during the cath. Normal EKGs. Halters normal except for mild sinus tachycardia. Many pulmonary tests--all normal.  I have MVP with trace regurgitation. I have had two Level III cardio pulmonary stress tests--both of which confirmed the cardiac preload failure diagnosis.  Can't count the number of cardiologists, pulmonologists that I've seen.  They all agree that the PFO and MVP aren't the cause or aren't related.  Tilt table showed mild supine hypertension. Have been to rheumatologists, endocronoligsts and neurologists to rule out the usual.  Also had a muscle biopsy to rule out mitochondrial disease.  I have been on calcium channel blockers, several beta blockers (severe reaction to those), nitro, flurinef, midodrine. Many in combination with each other and in combination with exercise programs.  Two with a personal trainers while on flurinef and midodrine. Cardiac rehab while on flurinef and midodrine. Compression hose. Nothing has worked.  Doctors and Mt Sinai, MGH and Brigham and Womens' in Boston haved given up on me.  They won't see me at Mayo Clinic because they said I am 'too complicated'.  (Isn't that why people go there?)

I am 58 yo female in otherwise good health. No family history of heart disease.  I have always had a low energy level but in the last 15-20 years it has become increasingly worse to the point that I may have to give up my job. I can't afford to retire right now. Do I have any hope?
Hi, in Sept 2012 I too went to Boston for the same testing. I have the exact same problem. I have been through the exact same testing, meds, and failed attempts to improve my situation. I even work as an RN in a very advanced Endocrinology and Diabetes Center. The doctors have tried valiantly to help me to no avail. We have tested everything imaginable and nothing helps. I'm 48 years old, extremely healthy otherwise. I completed 43 marathons, a 50K and have run and walked literally thousands of miles, I also weight train two days a week. I've been running for 18 years. When I first asked for help (5 years ago), I knew something was wrong with me but no one could find a problem. when I told them I ran, they just blew me off "oh you must be fine then". Three years ago I went to Boston and finally got a diagnosis of preload failure. But nothing has helped. Now I struggle to finish even one mile. I have to stop to breathe and let my heart rate come down and then take off again. My heart rate is 120-150 walking and 170-190's when running and this after 18 years of consistently running and working out. Today, I'm giving up running as it's becoming impossible. It makes me so sad. I'm thankful for all the other blessings in my life but its hard to let go of my goals and passion for running. Even more so, I think because of some mysterious ailment that no one can figure out. I think it would be easier to let go, if it only had a name. So, I'm not sure you will every see this but I just wanted to reach out to you and say you're not alone. God Bless.
please explain this preload failure to me. My excercise stress test has rapidly declined from normal to very poor. Im a little better lately, but what is this diagnosis? I have never heard of it, but doctors are no help.
Preload failure is apparently a crazy complicated disorder. There is plenty of info online if you Google it. You've probably already done that but those articles explain it very well, much better than I could. Good luck and really hope that's not your problem because it's ridiculously frustrating and there's nothing so far that helps.