Heart Disease Community
heart rate 50-60 bpm

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

heart rate 50-60 bpm

My resting heart rate for the last 6 months has consistently been between 50-60 bpm...closer to 55-60 bpm. I also get on again/off again PVCs and have had some runs of PVCs too.

I stopped taking cardizem about 6 weeks ago, I run about 9-12 miles a week and would say I am pretty good shape (5'11", 200 lbs). I have no trouble getting my heart rate up to 120-160 while exercising...

I am just wondering if this is a concern...
Tags: Heart
No, I don't think you should be concerned.  The important thing is that you function normally and that your heart rate responds well when you exercise. I can recall when I was 30, I also ran a lot (3 miles/day, 5 days a week) and my resting heart rate would often be in the 40's -50's.  Even now at age 65, my resting rate is about 55 (when in NSR). My current rate is lower than it might otherwise be because I too take cardizem (which lowers BP and HR).

I hope you stopped taking cardizem with your doctor's permission.
Where low heart rates are concerned, yours isn't really low.  Of most concern is whether or not you respond appropriately to exercise, which you do.  For someone who is as fit as you are, 55-60 seems pretty normal.  I know the better shape I am in, the lower my resting rate is.  Though it varies throughout the day, I usually hang around the 55-65 range at rest, especially toward night.  Hope that helps :)
tony...how are things with your a-fib...are you still considering ablation or did you already have it?

Thanks for the info. What advice would you give for someone my age to remain heart healthy? What things should I be asking my doc?

anacyde...thanks for the good advice as always!
I'm a poor candidate for an ablation because of my enlarged atria and the fact that I'm relatively asymptomatic.  So both my cardiologist and EP are recommending against it. Currently, I've been slipping into and out of afib on a cycle of two weeks in afib an two weeks in NSR. Unfortunately my med (rythmol) seems to be losing its effectiveness. Probably, during the next year, I'll have to make a decision as to what to do next (continued rhythm control with a different med or accept permanent afib with rate control).  Thanks for asking.

As for advice to the young -- exercise, maintain healthy weight and diet, happily marry, reduce stress, nurture your spiritual side, enjoy life and most of all --- follow your doctor's advice.  In my 30's, I stopped taking my BP meds (big mistake in retrospect) and even recently have resisted every new med my doc/cardiologist have recommended.. but in each case the meds have done wonders and I now wonder why I resisted taking them so long.

regards

Tony
I am 30 yrs old and not in the greatest shape and my heart rate is always between 50 and 65..so not to worry..my doc always tells me that means i have a healthy heart and it dosnt have to work so hard to beat..so i dont worry anymore there was times i would drop to 45 only once or twice then i worried but i seem to maintain a good heart rate as long as your not symptomatic..like passing out or feeling dizzy..your good..Good Luck.....Gina
i JUST HAD AN ABLATION MY HEART RATE IS 51 IS THAT BAD?
The only way it was a mistake getting off your meds is because you probably didn't keep up on your body work. You can't just stop BP meds and keep the same unhealthy lifestyle. You have to change your eating, thinking and activity. If you eat right, lose weight, meditate and exersize then you can stay off of meds completely forever. And sorry but doctors don't always know best, and most doctors want to keep you on meds because that is their pay check. They don't want to see you get healthy, then you don't need them anymore. If a person goes to a doctor, it should be a natural one. Meds are poison. You may think they are helping, but in the long run you will pay the price. Pretty funny how back in Jesus days, people were not on meds, but lived longer and healthier. Now they're giving ,meds to kids and animals. It's all about the money to them and also about decreasing the population at an alarming rate.
your advise to the young was so sweet and good to boot!... be well.. :)