Heart Disease Community
help

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

help

HI I WAS IN THE ER THE OTHER DAY   BECAUSE OF CHEST PAIN ,I DO HAVE THREE MILD LEAKING VALVES.I WAS HAVING IT FELT LIKE MY HEART WAS SKIPPING A BEAT THEY TOLD ME THE ER DR IT WAS DUE TO PULLED MUSCLES IN CHEST WALL I DONT BELIVE THAT THAT PAIN GOES INTO MY BACK AND NECK CAN SOMEONE SUGGEST WHAT I NEED TO DO NOT HAPPY WITH WHAT THEY TOLD ME
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Any rhythm abnormalities are usually picked up by an EKG. But sometimes a 24 hrs holter monitoring may be needed to diagnose these. Angina or cardiac pain many a times can be missed by a routine ECG. In which case, a treadmill ECG or stress testing may help. If you are a hypertensive, diabetic and overweight, you fall in the high-risk group. In addition, if you are a smoker, the risk increases many fold. So it would be advisable to have a treadmill ECG done.The pain can also be due to orthopedic related causes like cervical rib, cervical spondylosis or disc prolapse. A simple x-ray will help and an orthopaedician can guide you.

Your aim should be to first rule out if your pain is of cardiac origin, next to see if it is orthopaedic related.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
I'm not a doctor; I'm an aortic valve patient.  FWIW, I agree with the above comments, but I would add that you need to be evaluated and followed by a cardiologist who has particular expertise in valve disease.  With mild regurge of three valves, I'm thinking you probably are going to be a cardiology patient from now on.  Maybe it will turn out that your cardiology issues are very minor, and you will only have to go once a year to be checked.  But mild regurge of three valves usually requires that you be followed by a cardiologist or that, at the very least, you have an internist as your PCP.

The initial cardiology workup should include imaging of the thoracic aorta, to rule out an aneurysm.  The best type of imaging for that is usually thought to be a CT scan.  Thoracic aortic aneurysms are rare but can be fatal if not caught.  If you did have an aneurysm, and it was the aneurysm that was causing your chest pain, that would be an urgent situation.  You probably do not have a thoracic aortic aneurysm, simply because of the low rate of occurrence, but it's better to be safe than sorry.  

When your heart feels like it's skipping a beat, that often is a benign arrythmia called a prematrure ventricular contraction (PVC).  PVCs aren't dangerous, in and of themselves, but if you haven't always had them, then you need to get to the bottom of what has changed to make them start up.  
I started having PVCs when my bicuspid aortic valve deteriorated enough that my heart was being stressed.  

I'm not saying you're having PVCs or anything else, because I don't know.  I'm just sharing my experience, to try to give you a framework to think about what is going on.  I will say, I don't know of any way that a pulled muscle in your back can make your heart skip a beat.  I wouldn't be happy with that assessment, either.

Good luck, and please let us know what you find out.