hypertension and high altitude
I am sufferig from hypertension from last 3years which is under control with daily mild dose of ,5mg.I intend to travel to high altitude (12000-16000 ft aabove sea level) .What are the pros and cons and what are the precautions to be taken.
H.B.P and High Altitude
Interesting :  from what I know and found out - as I also have H.B.P and im on meds daily
for it..  seems the higher up one goes, the less o2 there is , as the air thins out , so its harder to breath, your heart works harder and lungs. I also read, the blood also thins out
the longer you stay in high altitude?  the lower you go, the more 02 you breath in.. and air is easy to breath or take in.. sound right ? guessing ??  
I had problems last year while up in the mountians of Arizona - I couldnt adjust to the high Altitude, and my b.p went sky high on me.. even on the dose of meds I was on..
I had to see a local Doctor at a Emergancy center, and he adjusted my medications
higher dose to keep the b.p down, he also told me, it would take about 10 to 15 days
for me to adjust to the High Altitude , as im a low lander person.
from smog central los angeles cal.    I do remember years ago I worked in colo.. uray
near sliverton some 90miles from grand jnt colo.   we were just above tree lines.. 12500
feet up !  it took me about a month to feel normal and to get my b.p down - and controlled
once you get use to it.. its not so bad..  as the air though thinner.. is clean.

I would contact my Doctor before going anywhere high !  and ask about medications
and adjustments for altitude ..  what the doctor thinks ?  then go fromt there.  

good luck , boogernose
I just returned from the Sierras (7800 ft elevation), and stayed for 3 days.  My BP is a source of concern and I monitor it constantly because I had a brain hemorraghe (stroke) 6 weeks ago, and was told that the cause most likely was years of hypertension.  Also, the neurologist told me to keep my BP down to avoid a replay of the brain bleed.  He assured me that my planned trip to the Sierras would not cause hypertension.  
He was wrong.  I took my blood pressure cuff, and my BP was 40-60 points higher there (160/59 which I feel is in the danger area).  We live at sea level and my BP continued to be high for the greater part of the day when we returned home. Normally it is well controlled with medication and is around 118/71.  Scary.
I would definitely seek assistance from your physician, and carry a special pack of medication for high altitude conditions.  Also probably for plane trips.