Heart Disease Community
mild MR

A community of people with Heart Disease to guide and support your heart-health journey. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: symptoms, nutrition, and management.

mild MR

What's known as mild MR? what are the reasons for it ? what's the cure for it?
I am assuming that you are speaking about a valve issue....just for clarification for example mitral valve issues effect over 30% of the entire population and are pretty common and most people if ever won't have issues until they become senior citizens. The reason for MR which means mild regurgitation is that one of your valves for some reason is not closing properly and you get what is commonly known as a floppy valve and when that happens the blood leading in and out of the valves leaks out a little bit in most cases it is not treated ...i myself have had MR since junior high school and am now in my mid 50's and have never had an issue with it.....i think ultimately it would be up to your doc to tell you if or if not it needs attention but unless you have been told something different by the doc i would say no worries...its a common occurance.....have a wonderful weekend.
Mild MR is a minor imperfection of the mitral valve that serves as a one-way passage of blood from the lungs to the pumping chamber.  When there is some back flow (regurg.) of blood during the pumping phase it is evaluated and categorized from mild (not considered medically significant) to moderate to severe. Many individuals during their maturing process may have some calification of the leaflets and/or the valve opening (orifice) calcification.

Or there can be an imperfecition of the leaflets not properly closing of the orifice that is congenital and sometimes categorized as mitral valve prolapse (MVP) and never progresses nor cause any symptoms. Not an uncommon condition.

I have moderate to severe MVR from more than 7 years and do not have any symptoms associated with the disorder.  My doctor wants to know if and when I have shortness of breath to possibly prepare for intervention. There is no cure other than an intervention with valve repair or replacement.  Often MVR can be corrected by cath where the orifice (opening) is resized, etc. and the leaflets that don't proper close can be corrected by implanting some weight to the leaflets...the added weight are appropriate for MVP.  

Welcome to the heart disease forum and if you have any further quesitons or comments don't hesitate to respond. Tanks for the question, take care.

Ken