Heart Disease Community
mild mitral valve regurgitation

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

mild mitral valve regurgitation

I recently had an echocardiogram and was given the doppler study results of mild mitral valve regurgitaion.  I had this test a year ago and nothing was found.  The doctor said not to worry that alot of people have this.  That was the only comment.  What do I make of it?  Is this something to worry about?  Does this get better on its own or  worse with time.  All other numbers on the Two dimensional, M-mode & Doppler Echocardiogram report were  within normal range.
Hello, Mild regurgitation is a very common finding on an echo.  Chances are if you have another one today it would not show that.  It depends on who and how it is read.  I would not worry with mild regurgitation if that is all they found.  I would just listen to your doctor and follow up when they say to.
If your doctor said not to worry then why do you worry?  I have the same thing, my husband has the same, our daughter has the same, we all were told not to worry about it and we don't.  You have to trust your doctor or you will drive yourself nuts.
Thank you all for your comments ...Makes me feel better.  I was just worried about this type of thing starting and then progressively getting worse.  I was reading an article or two on the internet and some said that mild regurgitation could lead to stroke or heart attack.  Others said not to worry, progression is slow, normally, and would eventually lead to valve replacement.
Sometimes the regurgitation never progresses.  I've had MR since I was in my early 20's (almost 30 years) and I still don't need any surgery.  When I asked my doctor whether she thought it would progress, you never really know.  She said she couldn't say for sure I wouldn't need surgery when I'm 70...Try not to get caught up in worrying about the "what ifs".  It will drive you crazy.

My daughter had MR show up on a couple of echocardiograms and on the last two, it's trivial at the most.  I guess sometimes it can improve, but I think (not sure) it may be more with children (because of growth, etc).

QUOTE: " I was reading an article or two on the internet and some said that mild regurgitation could lead to stroke or heart attack.  Others said not to worry, progression is slow, normally, and would eventually lead to valve replacement".

Mild regurgitation will not cause a stroke or heart attack!  If severe MR develops, the back flow of blood into left atrium can pool causing clots that could lead to an MI or stroke.  Especially vulnerable, if heart rate is low at the time.

I have moderate to severe, and I saw my regurg at the time of the echo...it was pointed out by the tech.  Back flow is a different color and easlily observed on the monitor in realtime.  Next time you should ask to watch your heart beat.

If your M-mode dimensions of heart chambers, walls and valve roots are normal, that would indicate no compensation or over compensation for an existing medical problem effecting your heart.  You shouldn't be concerned.  

Just curious why were you given an echo?
Isn't that color doppler awesome?  I was also watching to backflow - very interesting.  How long have you known about the MR?  Have you had any changes in echo?  

I just had my yearly stress echo and all is still well == WHEW!
Hi Momto3,

It has been about 4 years since learning of MVR.  I was taken to ICU for CHF with an enlarged LV, severe MVR, CAD (3 vessels) and EF below 29%.  No operation was advised due to low EF.

It was felt MVR was due to ischemia and an enlarged LV.  The RCA was stented and helped feed the distal portion of the heart that was deficit of a good blood supply.  LAD was/is totally blocked (collateral vessels provide a natural bypasss).  Circumflex, 72% blocked  was not/is not stented.

Subsequent stress test, echos show LV dimensions are normal and EF is 59%.  There doesn't appear to be any impairment of heart cells, if so very little. MVR is moderate to severe.   Medication and exercise has helped, and I haven't had one bad day, not even a head cold.  I have no shortness of breath on the treadmill, but there is some muscle fatigue at 4 mph for 30 minutes.  I feel fortunate for my current condition and can empathize with those with a medical problem.

I agree, watching one's heartbeat provides a unique experience and awesome is an appropriate word. All is well is good news.  Take care...I believe the site has been experiencing computer problems!

.  

WOW!  That must have been scary!  

Glad to hear your colleteral vessels are providing a natural bypass for the blocked LAD.

Great news on the improved EF and LV dimensions!!  

Let's hope the MR stays quiet and that you continue to do well. It's amazine what can be going on inside that we have no clue about.  One day you're walking around "fine" and the next day you're learning about CAD and valve disease.  Keeps us on our toes; that's for sure!

Thanks for sharing.  Take care.