Heart Disease Community
punch in chest

Join others with Heart Disease and get guidance and support. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

punch in chest

Hello, Saturday just gone, I was walking from a friends house to another friends only a 100 meters. On the way there, just after tea, I took a deep breathe and felt what I could only describe as a punch right above the heart. the second it happened my knees gave out. it was all over as quick as it started. Since then I have been to ER and spoken to docs about what happened. I had a 12 lead ecg, bp, hr all okay. The diagnosis was stress or anxiety. Or maybe a reflux. I had a Barium swallow a couple of days earlier as a last test to rule out stomach issues from late last year.

I have been struggling a little with anxiety due to a sudden onset of costochondritus late last year (now in doubt) and the tests associated to rule out cardiac issues and many trips to ER. All those tests were all clear.

needless to say I was really scared by what I had felt.

Question- does stress or anxiety fit the bill or does it sound like something else ?

thankyou
I should add 38 male non smoker 70kg
I should add 38 male non smoker 70kg
It doesn't really sound like anxiety to me -- not unless you have other symptoms of anxiety that you didn't mention in your post.  I hope it's a one-time fluke event.  In that case, you will probably never find out what happened, but that would be better than for it to happen again and be something that you have to deal with.  If you do have other symptoms of anxiety, I would see a mental health professional for an evaluation and treatment recommendations.  Cognitive therapy for anxiety is very effective, and I personally would try that before going on antianxiety medication.  Good luck.