Heart Disease Community
side effects of angiogram?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

side effects of angiogram?

Has anybody out there had any side effects or complications from the angiogram test, the cardiac catherization? Please let me know if you have had any. Thanks
Tags: angiogram
My friend was rushed to the emergency room following  a rash of violent vomiting. Long story short she had an angiogram procedure done, she felt a pain in her chest and went into cardiac arrest. after 35 minutes she was brought back. The doctor said she had 2 blood clots and it magically disappeared and no surgery was needed. She is up and very well. She feels that the angiogram caused her heart to stop. We are looking into it since there was no shortness of breath, and she was shopping and totally fine all day. she is 108 pounds and only have 20% plague (great for someone 66  years old) not to mention she had taken some laxative which may have caused the vomiting.
The cardiac arrest was probably due to the angiogram. And maybe even the blood clots. Maybe she had a reaction to the dye they used. I don't think laxatives can cause cardiac arrest or blood clots. Maybe vomiting if she took way too much of it. It would just cause diahreah. The doctor who is supposed to do my angiogram is an expert and is famous and renowned. His complication rate is very low, not zero though. I guess I have to call for prayers before I go through this. There is no urgency in doing it.
Remember that this was an emergency procedure. My friend had it done before and it was a breeze. She cannot believe this happened to her. She said that the doctor that did the procedure originally was really good and she never experienced any discomfort. Also, she had a heart exam 2 weeks prior and her cardiologist said that aside from leaky valve syndrome, her heart was in good shape wierd huh. Anyway she is an ox and the little thing is talking about the next sales in Macys. In everything we do we take risks which includes sleeping eating, and well you know. I hope everything works out for you.
I had an angiogram yesterday and vomited when the dye was injected going all hot and funny for about 5mins.  I also found the whole procedure  quite
painful. The next day I felt fine until after lunch when again I felt sick and dizzy.  Did I have a reaction to the dye or am I hyper sensitive?
It is important that you drink lots of fluids after an angio procedure. You have to get the contrast out of your system to prevent kidney problems. I had a 2 hour procedure the other day and a LOT of contrast. As soon as the procedure was over, I was given 2 cups of water to gulp down, even though I felt nauseous. I was then supervised to drink 3 litres of water in 2 hours which certainly flushed me out. I was then given a healthy lunch and the nausea disappeared. Most people suffer dizziness and sickness because they don't drink lots of fluids to aid removal from the body. Each time the contrast was injected into me, I felt different sensations. For example, if my circumflex was contrasted, my throat and lower jaw burned. If my LAD was contrasted, I felt mild chest pain and a burning sensation in my arm. I also had a complete flush done on each side of my body which really heated me up and made me feel sick.
Oh, and obviously before any angio procedure, you should be nil by mouth for at LEAST 2 hours. I had breakfast at 5am, then was nil by mouth from 6am. My angio started at 9am.
I would just like to add that I was very impressed with patient management after my procedure, they've certainly improved things a lot. I had 2 nurses with me for several hours after the event, one taking BP, SATS etc every 15 mins and watching my temperature. The other watching my wound, feeling pulses in my legs/ankles and asking me how I was feeling. I was spoiled. I will definitely be sending a letter to the cardiac care unit to thank them for their unbelievable professionalism.
There was a recent post where the cardiologist perforated the vessel and that called for an emergency operation.  There is a high risk when attempting to drill through a heavily occluded vessel as there may ba a loss of bearing with twists and turns of some vessels.

Many individuals have pain from the site of penetration of the cath...sometimes lasting for wekks and sometimes a clot or infection.

I had an implant going on 8 years and haven't had any problems now nor during and after the procedure.  Favorable results may be the usual outcome, but there is a risk involved.
I thought the question was related to angiogram? and side effects?

With regards to a drill going through an artery wall, I think such a cardiologist should be seriously investigated and prevented from further intervention. Safe lasers have been in circulation for a long time now and if the laser won't progress along the catheter, it's obvious to the cardiologist that the catheter is buried in the artery wall.
Even soft plaque can prove difficult for a catheter to pass through, one of my blockages on monday was quite soft material but very compact and the thickest available catheter had to be used for penetration. The scanner was rotated endless times during the penetration showing all possible angles as he progressed.
I remember reading a report once that said "If passengers were made aware of all the faults that had existed on a plane, they would probably never board". Perhaps the experience of all cardiologists should be made to patients before any consent form is signed. How do we know if the cardiologist has only performed 2 or 3 procedures before?
Hi everyone...
My Husband had an angiogram test 9 years back.Frequently he getting fever and cold and he feels like vomit.How to take care of his health and whether this will affect his life span..am so worried abt ths...and also let me know whether i have to take care of his food  habit..what foods to be avoided
on Monday, Nov 11, I had angioplasty, I am broken out with a red itching rash all over my body from the dye. Do not know how long this will last as now it has been 6 days.
I feel so bad for you. Maybe you should take 2000 mg of vitamin C every day to flush out the dye. Calamine lotion for the itching. Why is it lasting so long?
I had a angiogram in May 14 the dye had an effect on me for weeks.
Causing the Lyme infection to move all round my body getting different
Lyme related symptoms every day.
It's settled in my lower legs causing neuropathy and infection.
I told the cardiologist that Lyme disease does not show up on scans.
It's not a way of conferming a diagnoses. As I already had 3 blood tests.
All they have done is push the infection out to other parts of the body.
I should of been put on intravious antibiotics back in August 13.
Now the infection is in my legs.
I was put on 500mg 4 times a day for a week. It still has not
Cleared it. I am now on 1gram 4 times a day for one week.
I have been told that most doctors don't think too much about their patients
I went to ER if it was not this particular doctor looking at my legs and saying her family has a whole were pron to neuropathy.  I would of just carried on
with doctors telling me it was my weight.
I went back to my GP or one of them in the practice after the first dose.
Thinking I was to get more antibiotic.
She said there was no infection. I was given a prescription for 50
Paracetamol. My feet and toes got numb along with the pain.
I saw a doctor who was not very flattering about his colleagues.
They regard most of us as a waste of space he told me.
Cough cold depression.
I had had my 50th visit to ER.
I was told to complain to my practice manager about the GP
and funding I was not getting to a private hospital from the
NHS. It was costing them more me attending ER and two
Admission of 3 months each to a psychatric hospital. To be taken off my
antibiotics and given psychatric drugs.
He said threaten to go to the press.
I have complained to the hospital several times.
The doctor said that will not get you anywhere.
They will ask you what you want.