Heart Disease Community
sternum rewire procedure recovery time

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

sternum rewire procedure recovery time

i am soooo frustrated.  please can anyone help me.

i am 2 years past triple CABG.  i have been in pain since day 1.  i finally went back ot the original surgeon and i am scheduled for a rewiring on july 7th.  the problem is he is out of town for 2 more weeks and i can't find anything on the internet about the rewiring procedure in itself.

all my doctor told me was that i would be out of the hospital in 2-3 days.  i never got recovery info from him, and i need to know for my job (and peace of mind!!).

can anyone tell me how long the recovery is and whether it is a tough recovery or not?  how quickly will i be able to go back to work on average.  he is doing a standard rewire (no plates).

can someone who has gone through this procedure, or a doctor, please tell me how long i am likely to be missing work.

HELP!

so strange that i can't find the actual procedure info after a week of googling different terms.

thanks in advance!
Try this link for information:
http://journals.lww.com/annalsplasticsurgery/Abstract/2007/06000/Rigid_Fixation_of_the_Sternum_Using_a_New_Coupled.9.aspx

Also elsewhere on Medhelp....
http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Heart-Disease/Fractured-Sternal-Wire/show/529045

It is always a good move to get a second professional opinion.
Read as much as possible so that you are able to ask intelligent questions of the person that is doing the procedure.
Knowing what a procedure involves will help you to relax and be confident of the outcome.
thanks for the reply.  could not really gather a recovery time from the links.  

unfortunately, i have to use my original cardiac surgeon because i have lost my insurance due to lost work from this, and he is doing it free.

i see all sorts of good things written about the plates, but i'm afraid i am stuck with the rewire.  :(

still looking for approximate recovery time if anyone sees this that can help.

THX!!
in my opinion, sternal rewiring is so much like having open heart surgery.....i had open heart surgery in 2004 and like 7 months later i had to have sternal rewiring, cuz i found out i had only been wired with four wires, and 2-of them were broke in mutiple places, so i had sternal rewiring 7  months after open heart surgery and in a couple week's i was over it, then somewhere along the way of working my butt off in housekeeping and thing's in general in life, the those wires broke, then in 2009  i had to go in and b rewired again, and so nothing like the first rewiring, it was just almost as bad as having open heart surgery...........i cudn't sleep, i had to try to sleep setting up if i slept at all, and the second rewiring, i had 9 wires  put in and 6 of the wires were double, dr said it would take an act of congress to break those, lo and behold, they are broke again, cuz two months after having the rewiring done i fell and broke my ankle and had to be on crutches, and the weight of being on crutches broke the wires in my chest again, going to heart surgeon tomorrow to c if they will do surgery again, and after second rewiring, i had surgery to remove the broken wires and now have more, wish me luck
I'm confused as to why re-wiring would be necessary 2 years after surgery. Can't they just cut the wires and remove any pieces protruding? Surely a sternum is just as strong as it was once it has healed?