tortuosity of the aorta
What causes tortuosity of the aorta and is it dangerous to the aorta?  Does it progress over time? Thank you
The cause can be a congental and/or it can be the result of high blood pressure, or the result of physical changes in the spine and chest wall.  It can displace or crowd the space other organs.  

A twisted or distorted aorta (thoracic) can cause some blockage of blood flow from the narrowing of the aorta.  The result would be the same as valvular (aorta) stenosis.  If there is severe blockage, it can result in heart failure.  Symptoms would/could  be shortness of breath, chest pains, pulmonary and/or perpheral edema, etc.  Worst case scenario

Depending on the circumstance it can progress, usually requires surgery
Thank you for all your information concerning tortuosity of the aorta.  You have helped me understand which helps alot.
It can also be caused by Loeys Dietz syndrome, a very dangerous connectiver tissue disorder. Look it up...
Thank you.  I will look up Loeys Dietz Syndrome.  I appreciate you help.
PBV
Tortuosity of the thoracic aorta can also be related to misinterpretation of the plain-film CXR and may actually represent an aortic aneurysm.  CT angio with 3-D reconstruction or MRA is needed to rule out TAA, particularly if a tortuous thoracic aorta shows up on a CXR of a young person.
Good point.  Thanks for the information.
Is diagnosis 447.1 appropriate for aortic tortuosity?
I am not sure.  
One of the comments on my ER report was that I have a mildly
tortuous aorta and slight peripheral edema.   What does this mean and
should I see a heart doctor?
Peripheral edema can be related to a right-side heart insufficiency.  Your doctor should determine the underlying cause for the edema.
I had tests by Life Line Screening at Dr's suggestion. A small saccular  abdominal aneurysm was reported. Dr. ordered ultrasound which reported tortuosity of aorta but no aneurysm. I take drugs for high blood pressure and now wonder which test is correct. What is your opinion?
I'm not familiar with Life Line Screening, but abdominal aneurysm is a bulge of the aorta (large vessel from the heart that supplies blood to system).  Normally, the aorta is about one inch (2.5 centimeters) in diameter. The size increases very gradually as people age. If the abdominal section of the aorta becomes larger than 3 centimeters, the person is said to have an abdominal aortic aneurysym.  The screening test may be correct for location in question.

A  twisted or distorted aorta that results in the narrowing or constricting of the aorta, which, in turn, may cause blockage of blood flow is a tortuous aorta. The ultra sound by the second doctor may have included only the aorta root and tract, and there is no problem seen in that location.
After my husband was diagnosed with atelectasis after being sick with
a bad cold and cough.  That cleared up but another xray showed
Scoliosis convex right of the dorsal spine.  3rd xray showed no pneumothorax. but indicated thoracic aorta mildly tortuous.  Can
exercise help, if so what kind.  Thank you
I fell and had x-rays done of my spine and neck.  On my follow-up with the doctor to talk about my results and x-rays; I was told to follow up with my primary care provider for  CXR to re-eveluate aortic torturosity.
I have never been told that I have any type of problem in this area before. So how did this come about?

kathyj
I had a chest x-ray and the report said that the Aorta is Ectatic and Tortuous. There are numerous Platelike Densities throughout the Lungs. There is some Haziness of the Left Hemidiaphram. The Left Costopherenic angle is Blunted. What does all this mean?
While I was in the hospital I received a diagnostic imaging report that said there is cardiomegaly. The thoracic aorta is tortuous. The lungs are clear. There is no evidence of pleural effusions or pneumothorax.

Is this a serious condition. For years evry time I have an electrocardiogram it shows deep inversions and if I don't tell the nurses/doctors about it they freak out. The inversions have been the same for as long as I can remember. Is this related to the tortuous thoracic aorta (TTA) ?

I also have herniated discs c2 to c7 in my neck. Is there a relationship between this problem and the TTA?

What are my health risks and longevity with this condition?

Thanks,

Al Roth
Aorta tortuosity is not uncommon ... i.e. it is seen relatively commonly in certain people with certain body shapes and body characteristics.

TTA (tortuous aorta aneursym) relates to an aneursym (>5 cm) and may or may not be present with aorta tortuosity.  Deep inversions in an EKG contest usually refers to the "T" wave.  Very general and requires more information such as what lead, concomitant wave forms, depth, etc.  other signs and symptoms...there are ekg configuratuions, etc. that indicates ischemia (blocked vessels), infraction (past heart attack), etc.  Most probably it is insignificant.

Cardiomegaly is an enlargement of the left ventricle.  The condition can be due to a well-conditioned individual (i.e. athlete) with a rigorous aorbic exercise routine and not pathological.  Or it can be a pathological disorder due to an overworked heart and many other causes.  If there is a connection with cardiomegaly and a tortuous aorta, it could be due to the added resistance of a curved, twisted aorta causing more restance the heart pumps against.  
a recent test shows my mother has a calcified and tortuous aorta but no aneurysm.  Can this be the result of osteoporosis?
This was your response to Kenketih: Tortuosity of the thoracic aorta can also be related to misinterpretation of the plain-film CXR and may actually represent an aortic aneurysm.  CT angio with 3-D reconstruction or MRA is needed to rule out TAA, particularly if a tortuous thoracic aorta shows up on a CXR of a young person.

Can you please explain this showing up on a young person? I am 52 and I have had bleeding of the lungs a few years back at age 48. It was massive amounts and they did a CT at that time and listed are the CT Impressions from the report. No evidence of embolism to major branches of the pulmonary arteries. Mild diffuse infilitrate to the left lower lobe and ligula with left lower lobe lobar adenopathy, probably reactive. A 2cm right hilar adenopathy. In the CT Findings they also mention that there is also a 17 mm left lower lobe lobar adenopathy. Small bibasilar dependent atelectasis are noted. There are patchy infiltrates in the left lower lobe in the lingula. Per this CT the diagnosis me with pneumonia they also diagnosis me have having severe hypertension and this has caused the bleeding of the lungs. I still have some discomfort off & on in my left mid back lung area. I would like to know if this is something that I should be concerned about and have more test. If so can you suggest what type of test. I don't feel as if any of the doctors are to concerned and I do insure that I have a follow up CXR yearly if possable. Teresa D
in my upper mediastinum in my xray you can see mildly tortuous aorta what is that.
,.what are the severe causes of tortuousity of the aorta,.? can you give some treatments for that illness?
QUOTE: ",.what are the severe causes of tortuousity of the aorta,.? can you give some treatments for that illness?"

Tortuosity of the aorta is a twisted, bent of the vessel.  It can be congenital, or commonly the result of either high blood pressure or atherosclerosis (artherosclerosis can be caused by normal aging, by high blood pressure, and by diseases such as diabetes.

Thanks for the question and hope this helps.  Take care
,.is this an acute disease? the precautionary measures?
I can't think how the condition could be an acute event.  The information provided on the condition indicates the underlying cause is usually high blood pressure and artherosclerorisis...Control of the underlying risk factors would be the appropriate treatment to prevent and slow or stop progression.
.,uhmm,., is there any treatment for this disease? can you give some except surgery?
I am providing a link that may answer your question:
http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Heart-Disease/Mild-aortic-tortuosity/show/646108

If you have a followup question (s), will be happy to respond.  There is no medical treatment that will reverse the condition...just what I have already stated.

Thanks for all the info. it really helps.
Elaine
I apologize if this question has been answered elsewhere in this thread.

I am a 44 year old male in good shape and with no known medical issues.  I recently fell down a flight of stairs and broke 9 ribs (3 thru 11 - right side), punctured my lung, fractured T8, and tore my rotator cuff.  I was hospitalized for 17 days.  My question has to do with the findings of an x-ray:

"No left-sided pneumothorax is present.  The heart size is normal.  The aorta is mildly tortuous.  The trachea is midline."

Can someone speak to the finding of a mildly tortous aorta?

Mild degenerative change of spine. Mild rotation. No definite peribronchial thickening. There is a mild to moderate biapical pleural thickening left greater than right. No evidence of pleural effusion. No definite nodule when accounting for normal structures. Mild tortuousity of aorta. No gross aortic dilation.

Is the above alright if not must I seek treatment?

Thank you.