viral myocarditis
My 2 year old grandson was diagnosed with opsoclonus myclonus (neurogolical disorder) in Feb of 07, he's been treated with Predisone since that time--numerous times he was re-admitted to the hospital with Ataxia symptoms numerous times, which is typical symtoms of OMS- the 2nd week in December of 07 he was re-admitted for vomiting, slight fever & fatigue, they IV'd him ( which is always the same thing they do every time & released him the next day. On new years day he was sick again, with the same symptoms, by they time we took him to the hospital he only had a faint heart beat, thru a brain scan they seem severe brain swelling, when un consious & was classified brain dead 6 hrs later, After his death, thru a autoposy they are telling us they think he had Viral Myocarditis. He heart was enlarged & his lungs were wet. How can this happen to a 2 year old
I am so sorry to hear about your grandson.  My 14 year old daughter was diagnosed with Myocarditis on Oct. 31, 2007.   Her lungs were almost completely full of fluid and she had a blood clot in her heart the size of a quarter.  We were very lucky to have caught this in time.  Before this incident, I had never heard of such a thing.  My daughter had complained 3 - 4 weeks before of "not feeling good"  (symptoms similar to your grandson's).  She spent over 1 month in the hospital and has since gone back to school.  She is on 7 different medicinces and still cannot go back to her normal activities (basketball, softball, etc.)  We have monthly check up with cardiologists and I constantly worry about her.  I have an 18 month old son, and I freak out everytime he sneezes.  Since this experience, I have read of several incidences similar to yours.  It is so sad that this happens to such young children who aren't able to tell us what's wrong with them.  I still don't know what caused my daughter's myocarditis.  They say it was proabably a virus.  
I too, am sorry for your loss. I can't even imagine it.  I have a chronic myocarditis - which initially was a viral myocarditis which began back in 1986. I started with an upper respiratory infection - a virus - that somehow went straight to my heart. I was in my 20's at the time. I was fortunate that my internist checked my heart rate the first day and noted that it was way too fast. He also did an EKG in the office and noted changes. He made me come back to his office for the next two days to repeat the EKG's. On the third day, I was admitted to coronary care. I have never been the same - but I get by OK for the most part. Unfortunately, a virus can attack the heart muscle at any age. Again, I am so sorry to hear of your great loss.