Heart Rhythm Community
A connection between PVC's and high blood glucose levels??

This patient support community is for discussions relating to heart rhythm issues, arrhythmia, irregular heartbeat, implanted defibrillators, pacemakers, and tachycardia.

I was wondering if there is a connection between high blood glucose levels and PVCs?

About two months ago, I started a diet that was devoid of carbohydrates.  My physician had warned me for years about my rising blood sugar, but I paid him no heed.  Finally, in late March he gave me an ultimatum to cut my blood glucose level or start diabetic medication.  This caught my attention.  So with a healthy, and fixed heart, I began strenuous exercising (for a guy that's 60), and eliminating carbohydrates; anything "white" was gone.  Pasta, flour, sugar, starches, anything white was  I also began blood glucose testing 4 times a day. Initially, my blood sugar was very high.  Then it started fluctuating wildly, from a low of 78 to a high of 140.  

Now all during this period, and as well as before my ablation for SVT, I had been experiencing clusters of PVC's. They'd come and go.  I'd have several weeks filled with clusters of skips, then they'd disappear for a week or so, only to return.  This had been ongoing for the last 5 or 6 years.

After about a month on the no-carb diet, I noticed thru testing, that my blood sugar had settled down.  It was, and remains around 96 most of the time.  Along with this, my PVC's were lessening.  Then one day, they were gone.  Initially I though this was goignt o be short-lived as they usually were.  But a month has gone by, and I still have no PVC's.  I am mouch more active than prior to my ablation, and I've lost about 15 pounds.  But I can't see this as being the reason for the disappearing PVC's.  

Perhaps it's not the lower blood sugar levels that are the reason the PVC's went away, but lower insulin and hormonal levels.  Has anybody else every experienced phenomonon?

Lots of information out there - search the internet for ' PVC's and Insulin levels" or "type 2 diabetes and PVC's"...there was even a short thread on this forum..... we search for triggers and latch on to them when they work.  hope this continues to work for you.
Yes, I've read a lot of that already.  But does anyone on the forum have firsthand experience with this? Also wondering that with all of the various suggestions on dealing with PVC's, why no one suggests cutting carbs? They permeate our diets today.
Ok I will give you my experience for what its worth. A few years back I cut all carbs, went on high protein diet and I actually experienced more pvcs. I don't know that there was any connection to my diet as my pvcs have a mind of their own.  I am no longer on that diet as it didn't seem to agree with me.
Beema
Tom, I have normal sugars but PVCs anyhow, so no experience like yours.  However, it takes energy to run the sodium-potassium pump that controls the voltages (which are involved in electrical transmission and contraction) inside and outside the heart cells and other cells of the body:

http://highered.mcgraw-hill.com/sites/0072495855/student_view0/chapter2/animation__how_the_sodium_potassium_pump_works.html

It also takes energy to re-**** the myosin heads involved in muscular contraction (this is the 'sliding filament' model of muscle contraction, if you're into that:  http://www.lionden.com/ap1out-muscle.htm).

It takes energy to run the 'calcium pump' to transport calcium across the cell membrane during muscle contraction.

Glucose is the essential source of energy for every cellular activity, and its entry into the cells of the body is mediated by insulin.  In diabetics and pre-diabetics, the ability of sugar to enter the cell is compromised.  It's reasonable to think that lowering your weight and normalizing your blood sugar might be helping your now-happier Islet cells to make enough insulin to get glucose into the cells where it's needed, when it's needed.

I'm sure there are varying PVC triggers for each individual, but in a person with pre-diabetes or Type II diabetes, whose Islet cells might be overstressed or jeopardized, it cannot be a bad thing to optimize the fuel resources you have on board in your particular body.

I am a diabetic as well. I try to controll it with diet and exersice, but as we know when u have SVT it is sometimes hard to do that. I can tell you from my experience that when my glucose levels go up I have PVC's or skipped beats. I am not sure if it has any meritt to that but I do think there is something to it.  Today has been bad with skipped beats. ALOT of stress this weekend, Family stuff.... If you find out about the surgar and PVC let us know...

Kelly
I was diagnosed with type II diabetes a couple of years ago AND I have had worsening Afib during that time.  Previously I had gone 6 years without an episode.  I tried diet and exercise instead of meds, but finally had to admit it wasn't working.  Now I am on meds, but my fasting blood sugar is around 130, which my family doctor is ok with, but I'm thinking I could do better.  Not exercising since my 2 Afib episodes this winter and spring.  I am getting back to it, and about 30 minutes of exercise will bring my sugar level down 30 points.  I also have thyroid issues.  Wondering if I should be seeing an endrocrinologist.  Lots of stuff going on here.  I'd hate to keep escalating heart meds (especially anti-arrythmics) when normalizing sugar and/or thyroid levels might take care of the problem.
I realize the discussion of sugar and diet is not the focus of this forum, that said have you tried high protein low carb portion control dieting?  My fasting sugar is usually below 120 and on a few occasions when I have had strong episodes of PVC and checked my sugar levels they ranged from normal for me (120 - 150) or high (200-220)...didn't seem to make any difference.   Arrhythmia is a complex of electophysiological signals controlled by almost every hormone and receptor-mediated chemical in the body.  Getting your thyroid under control with a sensible diet/exercise program is going to help.
I have noticed that when eat in a Paleo-led manner, my PVCs literally come to a HALT. They are gone, gone, gone. If I go back to eating white flour, bam! they come back. I absolutely believe that what I put into my mouth greatly affects the PVC situation. I have also noticed that GERD and PVCs go hand in hand. For me, grains (white flour, in particular) brings on acid reflux, which then gives the way to PVCs. I truly believe you can stop PVCs with a Paleo diet.

Good luck!