AF
when to do med. cardioversion and wts the proper drug?
If by "AF" you mean Atrial Fibrillation (AFib) my experience in working with a heart doctor (cardiologist) is we first try drugs to convert the AFib to Normal Sinus Rhythm (NSR).  It that works, great we then either get off drugs or if we can't we continue to take them. The drug of choice in my experience in the USA is a beta blocker.  I have AFib and have also taken anti-arrhythmic drugs which are stronger with the potential to cause troubling side-effects.  Next electrocardioversion seems to be best, it is an electric shock treatment and has worked for me, but for only limited lengths of time.  Ablation, a surgical procedure seems to be the next step of escalation in fighting AFib.  For some, going into permanent AFib seems to be the final state.  Then on just takes medication to limit discomfort and to lower risks of stroke and heart failure.
Sorry you're having to deal with this dreadful condition.  When I've had to go to the hospital with mine, they convert me chemically with Lopressor intravenously and I have been given Cardizem but when they gave me that, everything turned green,  AF is no fun and does get progressively worse.  How long have you been dealing with it?  Are you on any maintenance anti-arrhythmic drug right now?