Heart Rhythm Community
Atenolo question

A community of people experiencing Heart Rhythm concerns. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: symptoms, management, and treatment.

Atenolo question

So my doc put me on 25mg daily of Atenolol for SVT.  My BP is usually around 96/68.  I am afraid to start this med.  Will it drop my BP much more?  He said I could start at 12.5mg daily which I am planning to do.  I need these episodes of tachy to end but dont want my BP to drop dramatically.  Anyone with experience with this med???  Thanks so much
I started with Toprol 25 mg and like you my BP is always very low anyway. I could not take it, so they put me on atenolol 12.5mg every night.  I have been on it for about 6 years now (maybe longer).  It does help some with my PAC's and tachy, but I do still feel the palps. and have the tachy at times.  I think how bad they may be without the atenolol so I take it faithfully every night.  Best to you!
I have been taking 50mg Atenolol for 15 years for PSVT.  I too was concerned that it might lower my already low bp;  however, my body got used to it and now I have a very average bp.  This medication still at times makes me tired.  Tried taking it at night which helped somewhat.  I am waiting for an ablation because I now have to take Digoxin and I don't like the side effects of meds.
Thanks for the feedback.  I took first dose today so I will try at least to see if it helps.  I feel a little tired.  
All of a sudden one day out of the blue I walked up my flight of stairs to get to bedroom and when I reached the top I started feeling a little warm, my heart started racing I began to feel dizzy and I started to pee my pants. I went into my bathroom sat on the tolite put my head between my legs and it stated to ease up. Every since then I am no longer able to walk up my stairs as the same things happens. I now take about 4 steps then sit and rest. The same thing happens when I ran a little from my car to my office building, when I lifted my son and when I triend to clean my bathroom. I recently had an echo, the 24 hour heart moniter and now today I have the treadmil stress test and I am terrified that I am going to have severe symptoms during the test. What can I do other than cancel this test, I AM SCARED....Tina
Hetherington lizzy Comment
Apr 23
Shasara is ... Comment
Apr 22
Lilymin joined this community
Welcome them!
Apr 22