Heart Rhythm Community
Condition

This patient support community is for discussions relating to heart rhythm issues, arrhythmia, irregular heartbeat, implanted defibrillators, pacemakers, and tachycardia.

Condition

A 72 yr old black female passed out at home while making Sunday dinner and was taken to the ER . Upon admission the emergency room physician noted that her heart rate was 32 beats per minute. EKG indicated many "p" waves between "QRS" complexes.

What is this condition called? Why are 2 reasons why this condition would occur?
What caused the women to pass out?
What would be the most likely treatment to correct this problem? How would this treatment help the patient?
This sounds like a pop quiz. LOL I'm no doctor but it sounds like some kind of heart block. Obviously this causes bradycardia and down she goes. What causes it? Perhaps an old MI that she didn't even know she had or some kind of heart disease considering her age.

Are they going to put in a pacemaker?
I don't know this is for one of my nursing classes I'm taking but I can't figure out where to look up these answers?
This is bull ****, what are we a home work help line now?  This board is for people who are looking for true help.

Stop cheating your way through school and do some damn research.
So it is a question from a class. I haven't been to school in eons but class questions all have the same "feel" to them.

None of us are doctors so all we can do is guess. If you have a book on EKG's, refer to that as a starting place. Also check with class mates, do some brainstorming to get ideas from each other. Good luck.
WHAT?! You are training to be a nurse and instead of actually trying to gain a real understanding of what could be wrong with the hypothetical patient, you're asking people on an INTERNET FORUM? A couple of comments for you:

1) I really, really hope you don't qualify unless/until you choose to significantly change your attitude towards learning, research and your chosen field. I certainly wouldn't want you as my nurse if you continue trying to pass your classes without actually understanding the material!

2) People on this forum are not here to do your homework for you, so get off the internet and hit the books.
Really folks - no need to get so cranky. I doubt that she's wanting us to do her homework for her. But have you ever had a mental block and just wanted to talk it over with someone? She knows it's heart related obviously and figured folks with heart problems may have some ideas that she can research further. She'll get through this.