Heart Rhythm Community
Do Certain Foods Trigger PVC's?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to heart rhythm issues, arrhythmia, irregular heartbeat, implanted defibrillators, pacemakers, and tachycardia.

Do Certain Foods Trigger PVC's?

Hello!

I am new to this forum and new to PVCs.  I began having them in April (5 months post partum).  I have seen 2 cardiologists and had all of the tests run--all "nomal" results.  I am a very anxious person and HATE to feel the skipped beats so I have been taking Propanolol (and I know the anxiety only makes them worse).  I would like to be "med free" so I am working on finding out my triggers.
I have cut out caffeine, alcohol, etc. and I am also trying to see if there are any foods that may trigger them.  My doctor said that sometimes peppers can cause them???  I ate something with jalepenos last night and I definitely noticed an increase.
Do you all have any other foods or food groups that you avoid?  Also, any books or web sites where I might find more information on preventing these?  I need all of the help I can get.  
Thank you so much--this web site has been so beneficial to me!  :)
Tags: pvc's, Heart
For me, caffeine and red wine are big triggers, as is lack of sleep.  I can have spicy food with no problems.

Feel better!!
I've read that acid reflux will cause PVCs. So eating anything that brings on reflux is a PVC trigger.  Peppers would definitely fall into that category. I've also read that honey works to calm the stomach and reflux related PVCs.
Caffeine and sugar trigger palpitations for me and over the years I've seen a ton of others report the same thing.  So try eating a low sugar diet and quitting caffeine.
Heavy olive oil will do it for me and alfredo sauces (probably the olive oil again)  
i have noticed that anything with nutrasweet cause me problems.....at least that was before my ablation.  I havent had th guts to try it since my procedure i few weeks ago.
why not start a food diary so you can learn your triggers?
also, food diaries make you more aware of the "little bites" taken here and there that tend to land on the hips and buttocks.  (Not that you may or may not need to lose weight.  Just a comment)
Thanks everyone for your comments!  I have started a food diary so we will see what that shows...
I can definitely cut down on my sugar.  Also, I am wondering if maybe artificial sweetners (Splenda) and even aspartame may be a trigger?  I will report back if I find anything significant.  :)
I seem to do pretty good during the day, but it's when I lay down and settle in to go to sleep, that my PVCs start.  

I don't know why I did the following, but for some reason I took an over-the-counter antihistamine, and as soon as it took hold, the PVC went away.  I now carry antihistamine in my purse, in case I might need it when I'm out and about.  They make non-drowsy antihistamine, so you don't have to worry about driving, etc.   The anithistamine maybe works because I am allergic to something, but I don't know what.  ARRGH!

This has worked for me, and is not necessarily a recommendation to others...just an FYI.
Sugar, for me.
Well just like you i to am trying to figure out what (if anything) may trigger my pac/pvc/svt ?? I started looking into PHENYLALANINE in food thinking it  may have something to do with them but to cut a long story short it all seemed to came back to being linked with ASPARTAME.

I'm not sure what part of this wonderful world you live but in Australia all food products must state what ingredients and additives have been put into them. The additives are listed using numbers. So now I'm trying to stay clear of products with these addatives/numbers !!

Well it may have nothing to do with them but it can't hurt to try and see if it makes a difference. It may even be the toilet paper I'm using LOL.

You said you are 5 months pp, is this your first baby ?? There is a very good forum 08/18/07 " What's with females having babies and heart problems"  which you might find to be an interesting read.

Vienna posted a great link about aspartame once.  I wish I could find it.

ARHMOM, how is your diary going this week.  make sure you are noting the times you feel the heart funk too.
Thanks again everyone!  Your comments and tips are very much appreciated.
Well, I have figured out that sugar is definitely a trigger for me.  That is kind of a bummer but I guess it is another reason for me to stick to a healthy diet.  :)  I have also noticed that evening is worse for me--maybe because I am more tired?  I am guessing that is it.  
Make sure you get plenty of rest too.  For some reason, not getting enough rest, feeling tired, seems to be a trigger for many of us.  I always thought it was just me, but amazingly...it's a large portion of us.

Hard to get rest with a 5 month old, but if you can, catch a nap here and there...it does help.

I recently discovered that food preservatives cause me to have a rapid, irregular heart beat.  I had first isolated the trigger to sulfur dioxide (a widely used preservative of dried fruit, processed cheese, wine especially white wine, restaurant potatoes) and have since eliminated all sulfites and sulfates, most preservatives, and avoid any highly processed foods.  My SVTs have now disappeared (for 4 weeks!) when I scarsely had a day (over the last 7 months) without episodes of rapid, irregular HR since I started eating dried mangoes from the Philipines last winter (listed ingredients are mangoes, sugar, sulfur dioxide).  Measurements show that I have no HR reaction to coffee with sugar and milk in the morning.  However, I don't drink coffee again during the day, do not drink soda and, happily, never had a taste for junk foods.  While I had never sought health foods or organic foods in the past, I am quickly evolving into someone who is very suspicious of food additives, growth hormones and antibiotics in the American diet.  So many new man made chemicals in our foods during my lifetime, in the last half of the 20th century.  I believe we will find that our migration from "natural foods" to man made "edible alternatives" will eventually be implicated in many human diseases and disorders.  Unfortunately, I haven't found a cardiologist who is interested in "triggers" that the client might discover.  To the contrary, they are really quick to prescribe heart meds that essentially treat symptoms but don't correct electrical anomalies of the heart such as, in my case, atrial flutter and SVTs.
for some reason, everytime i eat at Pizza Hut, I get a racy skippy heart....wondering what they use as preservatives in their food?
Just a note on foods, PVC's and the digestive system.  I was recently diagnosed with gallstones in my gallbladder, the gallbladder needs to be removed.  But it has/is causing some stomach discomfort, usually after eating, especially if the meal was oily or fatty because that's what the gallbladder does is add extra digestive horsepower to aid in breaking down oils and fats.  If fatty or oily foods seem to mess up your stomach, you may have gallstones.  I've learned they're pretty common in the population, just many people don't realize their indigestion is from gallstones.  Surgeon told me about 3 or 4 out of ten adult Americans 30 years of age and over have gallstones to some degree.  Indigestion, bloating/gas/belching/flatulence after most meals is an indicator of possible gallstones.  The surgery is very routine, laparoscopic for most patients I'm told, a same-day surgery usually go home the same day.  

Anyhow, I have lifelong PVC's and my gallstone condition definitely aggravates the PVC condition by varying amounts depending on what I eat.  I theorize also that the Vagus nerve plays into digestive problems and PVC's.  Its this long meandering major nerve bundle that runs from your brain stem to your colon area, running near the esophagus and stomach as well as near the heart.  But that's only my theory and I'm far from being a medical authority, LOL.

As above, I too also think some of the screwy food additives in use can aggravate our condition.  Wife and I are definitely label readers when it comes to buying groceries.  We try to steer clear of too much processed food with ingredient lists that read like War and Peace.  

Hey, one thing I just read in this one book by some MD who is into natural whole foods and such is that you should try to use organic sea salt instead of packaged refined table salt.  Has to do with what is done to salt during the refining process, they apparently add some form of aluminum oxide to the bulk salt to keep it from caking during processing, and this means when you use table salt you're getting some trace aluminum as a hidden "extra."  He said basically that the way refined table salt is, the body tends to not use it properly and there for it screws up the balance of sodium with potassium which both need to work synergistically together in the body to regulate all sorts of things, and we all know that potassium is important for heart rythm, so...  we don't want to screw up the sodium/potassium relationship in our bodies, we need it balanced more so than most non-pvc people. So if you're going to use salt, use organic sea salt.  Kosher salt is usually sea salt I think.    
Maybe MSG which doesn't bother me but seems to bother others.  Chines food also loaded with it.
  I'm new to the irregular heartbeat problem. My irregularity started about 2 months after my blood pressure medicine was doubled.  Now I'm on a low dose beta blocker (metoprolol) which seems to help the irregularity. I still have it from time to time though.
  A trip to the er got me this list of  non-heart-related causes: certain medicines (asthma inhalers and decongestants);  some herbal supplements; illegal stimulant drugs; caffeine, alcohol and tobacco; medical conditions such as thyroid disease, anemia, anxiety, and panic disorder.
  I've been through a bunch of tests and see a cardiologist Wednesday. I have acid reflux and I'll be asking the doctor about that being a trigger.
  My heart has been doing fine the  last few days, then yesterday I ate some chocolate chip cookies. I have an irregular beat this morning. This is the second time I've experienced this with chocolate. I believe it's a trigger to me.
Does your diet include chocolate?

if you take soy that can be a problem with panic attacks and racing heart.  I have go through this many times only to find out from my doc that it could very well be soy.  I would always mix a preexercise shake with soy milk and right after get the worst panic attacks of my life.  It just doesnt happen to women either .  A friend of mine who was a trainer even went through it and ended up in the evmergency room weekly until he discovered it was the soy and got off it
Coca cola does it for Stu sends his heart into a spin. Bugger have to drink ginger ale with teh burbon. Lol
Racing heart is not a PVC, which is a skipped beat. You may be chasing up the wrong tree in your research. Take care
oldie
Many additives can cause PVC's and a racing heart in "some" people.  Phenylanine which is in most diet sodas for example.  Splenda sweetener can cause it, mono and dyglicerides can do it, for some people caffeine, alcohol, watch out for the ingredients of chinese food, there is one that starts with a "g" watch out for that.  Hydrochloride can cause it in some people prone to PVC's and the list goes on.
sulphur dioxide was the cause of mine (two years of stress, worry, hospitilisations etc) the pharmacist I asked about my script told me all medication for arrythmia causes other arrytmia's so i never got the script filled. I realised one thing. their has to be a cause. a four hour really bad episode kicked in six hours after red wine (lots of it). Finally, an answer, and then detective work. For me, it's sulphur dioxide. it's in everything we eat but it was ineverything I was eating all day, vegemite, cereal with dried fruit, cordial, dips. I only eat natural food now, I don't even get so much as a missed beat which i'v e had for YEARS.
forgot to say, I've had ventricular ectopic beats for two years, (hours of crazy banging around keeping me awake)  but I've had the odd missed beat (which is normal) for years. It is benign, and worry (all that cortisol and other stress hormones) make it worse, so I stopped worrying after about one year, but was interested in the cause as why would a heart just suddenly go all arrythmic? sulphur dioxide in the air causes ventricular arrythmia (a scientific fact) in high enough concentrations, so why wouldt it in food, if you eat enough of it all day?  it's interesting how the medical profession think food doesnt cause anything. I tried going off coffee and chocolate it didnt make any difference thank goodness.  I think its a dose related thing.. also, when you add preservative 220 and its other names and derivatives, to a diet with MSG in large amounts you are really asking for trouble. I'm serious when I say, i've not had so much as one beat that i can feel since cleaning out the pantry. thank god my two coffee's a day don't make any difference. I'm too scared to eat processed food anymore I'm enjoying my 'quiet' heart so much..  I havent' not felt it banging around for so long. good luck to you all in your search, but seriously, it cannot hurt you at all to not eat processed **** so it's worth trying.
I have been having Pvc's for many years now...on and off for many. The last year has been all the time. I had gone to a cardiologist at one of the best offices here in Southern California. He ordered all the test, blood , urine, ultra sound and I even had a holter monitor on for 24  hours.At one point during that time (when I was sleeping 3am) it had recorded 150 beats per minute. With an average atrial and ventricular  rate at 92 beats per minute.There was no evidence of hight grade S-A or A-V nodal heart block.
Diagnosis: "Moderate Density Isolated Premature Ventricular Contractions"

"Okay!" I said... how did I get it and how do I get rid of it.

Doc: I don't know how you got it, but you have it. All your lab work is normal, physically there is nothing wrong with you other than the PVC.

"In my opinion  you need to be a bit less stressed".

So, it's stress that brings it on??? I asked.

Doc: well it may be, we are not sure .... in my opinion it is!

Okay....... so I tried not to get so stressed out lately and everything was okay for a wile , but as all you know PVC's don't stop.

Last night  (New Years Even) I had what I call my PVC attacks. Every other beat would come with an extra beat.

I must say: It still freaks me out!!! I had experienced it a million times , yet it still frightens me a lot.

This time I believe was the worst of them all..... I thought about the feeling I had and what I was going through.

I am no Doctor nor am I a Scientist , but I think there is so much more to the story than just stress or the types of food that we eat or not eat.

So I had this horrible attack last night right?!  
I felt like my body wanted to give out yet my brain wanted to fight.
When I have my attacks and they are this bad it takes so much ENERGY out of me.
I felt like I was craving something. I just didn't know what.
Was I hungry? NO!
Was I tired ? NO!
Was I stressed out prior to the attack? NO!
Was I thirsty ? NO! Well, not that I have noticed anyway. I didn't feel thirsty at all.

My husband saw how much I was struggling and he handed me a big glass of Ice Water.Here he said, "drink!" It seemed like I drank that glass of water in one gulp.... yet I really don't remember being thirsty at all.

I drank my second glass of Ice Water and within 15 minutes the PVC's  had gone away.

I haven't had any attacks today... yet!

Look! I can't explain it... I don't even know if it's related, but it's worth looking into.
If/when I have another attack ... it will remember to drink water and see if the same thing happens. If this has happened to you let me know. Heres my email address, ***@****
I just read your post regarding Splenda. I use it a lot since my wife has diabetes. I just realized that lately the PVC's have stayed since I keep using it. I think I'll go back to sugar for a while and see if that calms things down.

Thanks so much.
I'm 30 years old female.  I'm new to the PVC's and they are driving me crazy. I feel like there is more my doc could do for me.  It's hard to except that this feeling is normal and my heart is ok.  I've had panic disorder and anxiety all  my life but I've dealt with it. Now I'd rather have the panic disorder instead of these PVC's.  I'm going back to doctor to try to get more answers.  I can't believe the internet has no answers about PVC's.  
Sugar does it for me.  And salty foods (dehydration).  Other than that I can't link it to any specific food.
I can't link mine to any specific foods, either. I seem to be OK for awhile and only have mild symptoms, then they get worse.  I work out, eat really well, don't drink or smoke.  There seems to be no rhyme or reason.
All I know is when I have them a lot, I get really stressed and that is all I can think of.
Hi all!  I am a 51 year-old female who, 20 years ago was diagnosed with irregular heartbeats (PVC's).  I was on Propranolol for approximately 10 years - very low dose, as my system is super sensitive to drugs of any sort.  Eventually, the symptoms went away and I was off the medication altogether. Now, here I am, 10 years later, suddenly experiencing the PVC's all over again.  In December, I found myself in the ER with the irregular beats occurring about every 3rd beat - and me feeling each and every one of them.  UGH!   I, like so many of you, had a whole battery of tests run, EKG's, holter monitor, blood work, stress echo, etc., with everyone of them coming back just fine.  (Of course, while I was wearing the halter monitor and again when having the stress echo test the PVC's were not happening!)  My cardiologist said that a great deal of people have PVC's, but not everyone feels them.  (For me, I get the sensation of my heart either dropping or turning in my chest, and the feeling of my heart beating up in my throat.)  He went on to explain that a lot of times those who can feel them (besides when lying down on their side) are tall women whose rib cages are narrow (as opposed to a more rounded barrel-shaped rib cage).  He explained what is actually happening with my heart when I experience a PVC --- One chamber beats early, with the 2nd chamber beating on time.  The early beat allows one chamber the extra time to fill with more blood than usual, so when the 2nd beat comes it feels extra strong as it has more blood to push out.  He said that it pushes more blood into my lungs than usual, and that's what gives me the sort of breathless feeling I experience.  He went on to say that I feel the 'super charged' hard beat because it hits at a different place on my chest wall.  I have the urge to cough to regulate my heart, but my cardiologist assures me that coughing will not have any effect on PVC’s.   (He’s right, but I still have the urge to do so anyway!)  After having given me the other tests with all results coming back fine, he assured me over and over again that my PVC’s are benign and totally harmless.  In fact, after the stress echo test, he said the health of my heart is in the top 10% of women my age.  I must admit that his double, triple, quadruple assurances have given me some peace of mind, but I STILL get anxious when the PVC's start.  Tonight I am sitting here with PVC's occurring about every couple of minutes.  He did prescribe metoprolol which I found gave me EXTREME headaches, and have since been back on propranolol for the past 3 weeks.  I worry a bit as I know beta blockers lower blood pressure, as well as heart rates.  My blood pressure generally runs about 110/70 (or lower) and my resting heart rate is in the low 50's. He said not to worry about my blood pressure as long as I am feeling OK, and to just watch my pulse rate.  If it goes below 40/minute I need to cut back on the medication.  (I am only taking 10 mgs in the am and 15 mgs in the evening...sure is hard cutting up those 20 mg tablets!)  Sorry for the long story here, but I did have a couple of questions I'd like to ask to see if anyone has experienced the same results as me:  1.  Are any of you tall women with small rib cages?  2.  Is anyone on propranolol experiencing their fingertips drying out and peeling? (I didn't notice this side effect when I was taking this med years ago, and am trying to figure out, if in fact it's the propranolol that's causing it.)  Thanks so much and here's to strong, healthy hearts for us all in 2009!
sulfates and msg cause me problems too.  I ended up in the ER with my first episode of PAT after a plate of chinese food.  Red wine bothers me but not right away.  I wake up around 1am with a racing/skipping heart.  Does beer have sulfate?  I have one or two sips and I swear my heart wil skip.  I stay away from that stuff.  I thought white wine was safer.  There are new organic wines that are supposed to be sulphur free.  Have you heard of any of those?  
to DMAB - I am not tall, just 5'5" but my rib cage is small and narrow.  I too notice all skips and I hate it.  
I know this is an old discussion, hopefully you'll get an email notification of the discussion's update.

These are stats I've found recently on other sites:

In a study of elementary-aged students, 10-15% had PVC's.

It's estimated that more than half of people over 40 have PVC's.

It's estimated that 90% of people over 60 have PVC's.

Some feel them, some don't.  I wish I didn't.  But I do.  And for me, sometimes having very few is worse than having thousands in a day (as I've had in the past).

If panic and anxiety are things you live with, they may well be what's triggering your PVC's.  Are you on any medications for the anxiety?  I've read from others here that that can help.  Trying to remove stress from your life can also help (sometimes easier said than done).  Exercising can help (but it can sometimes be a real leap of faith to go stress your heart when the problem is with your heart).

Good luck!
DMAB - I am tall with a narrow rib cage and when I have my PVCs (if that's what they are, I am still not completely convinced) I feel like my heart is doing back flips (like a frog in my chest).

I have been on bisoprolol for some years now and I haven't noticed dry tips of fingers, but my fingernails when I try to grow them out past 1/8th inch they begin to twist or bend down, not sure if related to the meds though.  I assumed I wasn't getting enough water as my hair is pretty dry and frizzy too, when it didn't used to be.

I have a defibrillator implanted and have gone into v-tach and v-fib with a heart rate above 350.  I had my first shock since it was implanted (8 years ago) which I did pass out just after the shock.  So now I am cursed with panic attacks that come totally out of the blue, plus short term scary heart rhythms.  I do notice it a lot after eating, but I don't think it's the food type, i think it's the food at all.  I had a half of a sandwich (vegetarian) today and I got the beats that make me feel like I may pass out over and over after the sandwich.  (However I don't know if it's something in the whole wheat bread like "high fructose corn syrup")  I do wonder about this vagus nerve though as I have coughed and made v-fib stop.  (but doctor says, "maybe it was about to stop anyway.")  Sometimes the faintness comes too fast to cough though, then it stops.  

One thing I wanted to say though, is before I had my shock I had complained to my doc about having an irregular heartbeat, many pvcs when I didn't used to.  I noticed mostly when lying down on left side in bed.  I once thought to try to relax, take deep belly breaths, etc.  I noticed just changing my breathing from the regular shallow breaths i was breathing to controlled deep breathing (not too fast), they stopped after the third breath.  They were happening every time I would inhale - this brought me to believe that the vagus nerve was getting pressed on or something, but then again doesn't explain the deep breathing helping.  Just thought I'd pass it along as it worked for me.

I've noticed too much caffeine, sugar,not enough sleep, stress and dehydration (not enough water) will increase mine, but I also have acid reflux and other digestive issues so I've been getting them a lot lately. I think it's in connection to when I'm having more digestive problems.
Stress, Tiredness, Alcohol and above all Aspartame seem to trigger mine. However the stress caused by "Tuning In" to the PVC's seems to be the reason why they stay around for a long time. I used to be able to hear my heart beat when I was walking around/lying down/any position - I was concious of every beat, listening out for the "missed beat". Over a period of months I deliberatly tuned out - stopped listening for them. You start by refusing to feel your pulse when you know that they are happening. Change position in bed, so thay are less obvious etc...
Eventually the stress associated with the PVC's reduces and the attacks are over quicker and further apart.
Today is one of the few I've had in months so i though i would catch up with the latest news on treatments etc... by having a surf...and then i found you lot - fellow sufferers.
I firmly believe PVC's can be managed - so good luck!
I have had PVCs off and on for years, too.  I have gone thru a battery of tests and everything has been normal.  Nevertheless, I noticed that when I have gotten very little sleep the night before that they are worst.  I don't get them every day; however, I have been experiencing them recently because of the recent deaths of two close friends. Thus, I tend to think that mine are stress-related. Anyway, I have been on atenolol for years (A-personality), and now I take Alprazalom as needed.  I don't really like taking the anti-aniety drug but I must say it relieves my symptons within minutes. Thus because the symptons are so frightening, I take the Alprazalom for some relief.  Lately, though, I have been fine until after I eat something (anything).  Now I'm wondering if this has to do with your heart rate after eating.  I remember reading that when the heart rate is slow, the PVCs are likely to occur.  Has anyone experienced this?

Thanks,
Nent
I was on alprazolam for about 6 months (as needed).  I thought I "needed" it more often after going into v-fib as I was very scared and anxious.  I found that it made everything worse.  Yes it brought relief for a period of time after taking it, but I soon found that my anxiety worsened and I couldn't go without taking it.  I've been off it for over 2 months and I am still having weird "head spinning" symptoms (vertigo?).  I can't say for sure, but I believe the xanax caused these symptoms because they were much worse when I would go without the xanax, and severe when I tried to stop it completely (cold turkey).

As far as PVCs are concerned, if you have no symptoms of lightheadedness or coming close to passing out while having the PVCs, I would try, as someone said above, and put it out of your mind.  PVCs are normal and there's nothing you can do to stop them and they are not dangerous.  Worrying about them only perpetuates the anxiety which probably causes more.  

That being said, in the past I complained to a doctor about palpitations (PVCs?) and I had an EKG, echo, mini stress test, and nothing was found.  Nothing was found until I actually went into V-tach at the hospital (they had to see it happen to believe it) I was 34.  They still don't know what I have but they suspect ARVD that can only be diagnosed with a MRI which I cannot have now because I have the defibrillator implanted.  However, there's nothing different that can be done if they did knew what it was.
I have a slow irregular Heart  and have tried all beta blockers and calcium channel blockers none work  with very bad side effects pulse down to 45 and irregular BP 96/56  with verapimil great for a while then Heart went into very fast mode at rest needed a Hospital visit .due to see cardiologist again  in 2 weeks .
As to Food I have found cutting out SALTY foods like Crisps e.t.c.and cutting down on SALT added to food helps me a lot ,not a cure but I do know if my intake of SALT is to high even though I dont use a lot of SALT, give it a try it may help you.
regards
Roly
I too, am a tall woman with smaller rib cage. You might be on to something here. I'm saving this message strand.
I'm not tall and I do not have a narrow ribcage and I get them, so much for that theory. I think it might be food related. I definitely cut out all caffeine and was exercising a bit and didn't have them for more than a month, I'm still off the cafeine but stopped exercising,  now they seem to be back again. I ordered a decaf coffee with vanilla flavour today and it tasted funny, I asked what was in the vanilla and the lady said Splenda, so I asked her to pour it out and bring me a plain decaf, so wondering if thats what started it today. I had taken sinutab the other day and also felt them,but maybe it was also something I ate. I think having a food diary is a good idea, I really should not be lazy about it and try that out. I never realized I was having pvc as mine feels about mid-body, I thought it was some small muscle spasming or jumping, maybe my diapraghm or something, but the specialist said it was pvc's and that I was likely just overly sensitive to caffeine. I just wonder why I am getting them now in late thirties, what changed etc.
thanks DMAB for bothering to type so much !
I actually had a similar xperience. Feel ignored by drs,had to visit ER a few times in the middle of the night who just say Im stressed and gave me metaprolol.Which Im not.

Got a bunch of tests for palps - ofcourse the night I had the 24hr holter, nothing much happened. Now im on 45mg betablockers.  Ive had it everynight for 9weeks now mainly at night. I noticed it particularly appearred quickly after eating Mcdonalds burgers! I did have this strange 1week period where I drank 2 cans of coke a day at the same time and I had less palps- but then suddenly I had not enough sleep, burgers eating badly and it was all back again by midday.

Also a small amount of caffeine seems to help. eg 20mg but 100mg is too much(typical energy drink amount)

I actually feel like too much adrenaline flows and it just pounds harder and harder and starts skipping anytime between 4pm and 9pm at its worst only two out of three beats are normal which is scary.

I have some 'alternative' friends who have suggested alternative therapys which I may well look into shortly.

Its important to not work oneself into an anxiety- I found myself looking up SADS and all sorts-making me feel worse!

Im thinking of starting a food diary, I feel itd have to be pretty detailed to be useful.
Mike
NZ
WOW

This thread has been so interesting :-)

I am 29 years old and have had these palps for 10 years now, they are so scary, i have had them for a whole week every few minutes, beat beat beat pause BEAT beat beat flop etc !!

I cut out caffiene 8 years ago, (except diet pepsi)...

Recently i have stopped drinking diet pepsi, and went to caffiene free coke... Good i thought.. Palps were much much less!!

Then i had a chinese BANG fast heart rate of up to 100-110bpm, and the skipped beats started all night, following day heart was still up in the 90's (normal for me is 70-80).. I searched google and come to the conclusion that MSG is causing it for me..

The other night i had a pizza, same again heart rate up skipped beats (not as bad as chinese though)..

Any alcohol for me i have a fast heart rate and some skipped beats too..

Chocolate i have a fast heart beat, some skipped beats but not to much!

And finally i had a macdonalds yesterday, 4 pieces of chicken select with bbq dip (like kfc chicken?) With a large fries and orange juice!! WELL within 10 mins my heart was skipping, flopping, and basicly doing summer salts, i come home and my pulse was 100-120pbm, with every couple of beats skipping or pausing, i was terrified!

Now i know in the past when i have had a macdonalds i have suffered with raised heart rate aswell as skipped beats but nothing as much as yesterday!!

Now i am so paranoid about what i am eating, i have today started to eat healthy, my own food, nothing fake, nothing processed!!

I am hoping to get a bread maker for xmas so i can make my own bread too, just need to work out what kind of pop i can drink, that has no chemicals in, and what butter, Any suggestions?

Anything else?
you can find some good 'pop' in health food sections, or just don't buy the sugar free stuff, and only get sprite or ginger ale, nothing with caffiene or splenda or aspartame in it. That stuff is garbage chemicals anyway, no good for a person. I also avoid MSG and some chinese restaurants will not use any if you ask when you order, which is awesome. I am a woman, so society tells me that I am supposed to LOVE chocolate, which I used to, but it is just not worth the heart flip flops, so I haven't had any in months and I feel much better. And you know, they say that cancer LOVES sugar and what do most women eat,  candies, chocolates and bon bons, maybe thats why breast cancer is so predominant in chicks... poor us :)
Yes, McDonalds did it to me too!  I was surprised as I only had a sausage/egg mcmuffin, fruit muffin with some ugh, 'becel' crap (I use butter whenever I can) and an orange juice, and the heart started going..so it tells me that they likely put MSG or Splenda or Caffiene in their foods. I had heard they added sugar to ALL of their foods but now I'm wondering what else.
Look girls, we have to watch out for ourselves, hang in there! :)
NEWS: or so it is for me... I just found out that decaf coffee does not necessarily mean caffeine free, it just means its been somewhat decaffeinated.

So if something doesn't say CAFFEINE FREE, it isn't !  I called and asked Tim Hortons about theirs and got the same thing, so bye bye decaf...also the same goes for some white chocolate, so bye bye white chocolate.
Just a heads up!
i have tachycardia and pvc's after eating certain foods, e.g. Soy products.
In my case it causes stomache gas.

In the pharmacist they sell stuff call "simethicone" it helps against stomache gas and relieves me from PVC's,
but the best thing to do in a case like mine is to prevent stomache gas because

it's unhealthy to take over the counter meds every day !!

I get tachycardia and pvc's caused by stomache gas more easily in the morning,
i think this is because during the night the stomache is least acidic
so the first food you put in it is hard to digest, and can cause excess stomache gas!
I definitely think there is something to the antihistamine thing.  I think PVC's are an allergic reaction.  I have had PVC's for a couple of years and they were only noticeable in the early spring into summer (and they were bad, 7 a minute).  As soon as I was on clariton (antihistamine) they went away.  There was an earlier post that mentioned the antihistamine worked for them as well.  I just started getting PVC's again and got back on the clariton again and they are gone.  I get an occoasional 1 here or there, but for the most part they are gone.  I have been in and out of Cardiologists offices too.  Sometimes I think that they do not want to find a cure for PVC's/PAC's because it is so much of their business.  I challenge that those that are sufffering to get some clariton (10mg antihistamine-not Clarton D) to see if that works.  would love to hear the feedback on it!
TJ
Here is one thing to consider are you having PVC's or PAC's? If you aren't watching  a monitor when they occur (Or have them captured by a holter) You won't know which you are having. I myself have runs of A-flutter, and A-fib, both causing SVT. I also have the occasional PVC (most people do) as well, but seldom even notice them. When I start having the SVT it is very noticeable. The one advantage that I have is that I'm a paramedic, and can hook myself up to a monitor and know exactly what I'm seeing as everything is happening.  Now I'm not doubting that anyone here is having PVC's, just pointing out if you haven't verified what is happening you might want to not classify it as a ventricular arrhythmia until you know for sure. I've posted much more on my condition in the http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Heart-Disease/Atrial-Fibrillation--Stomach-Gas--Digestive-Tract-Problems-/show/767987?personal_page_id=1390372 thread.
I have done SO much research on PVCs after several cardiologists have been little help over the years other than the usal battery of tests, telling me to "Don't worry about it" and prescribing a beta blocker that does not do much for PVCs other than making them less noticeable.

Throughout this thread I read about PVC "triggers" from McDonald's, soy products, Pizza, aspartame, etc. Guess what? All those and MUCH more food we eat have "hidden" MSG in the form of glutamic acid. Aspartame turns into glumate in your body!  I get CRAZY PVC attacks, including fast pulse and panicky feelings from anything with glutamic acid. Maybe you do to. My PVCs haven't entirely gone away but they are way less now that I watch what I eat. Even nonfat milk can contain MSG.

Check out this website which tells you which foods contain glutamic acid or hidden MSG..  .www.msgtruth.org

Good luck!
Peter

I was having pvc's non stop, probably one every thirty seconds.  I also have panic disorder, so it really through me into a tailspin.  I went to my doctor, and cardiologist and of course they tell you they are not harmful blah blah blah.  I pretty much stopped doing everything, because I was always waiting for the next one.  Sometimes the jolted me, sometimes the pause seemed so long that my eyes would blur for a split second.  I went to my naturopathic physician, who did some sensitivity testing on me.  She told me that sugar was posion for me, so I decided to try cutting it out.  I have been basically doing the atkins diet, no refined sugar of any kind, no white flour, low carb, and I noticed a difference in the first two days!  I am three weeks into it, and I have maybe five to ten in a whole day!  My resting heart rate was always between 90-100, and it is now 70-80 at all times.  I was also having tachycardia attacks (on low dose of propranolol) and I still have it, but not as bad.  My blood pressure was always about 140/90 every doctor visit for the last two years (in that area), and the last three readings have been around 125/75.  It is very hard, but I am going to try and keep it up...there are sugar free treats with splenda if I really need to stop a craving (too much can give you stomach problems though.)  I allow one to two fruits per day, but I didn't for the first couple of weeks.  I do need to lose weight, but that is not the primary reason for doing it.  I just wanted to share, because it has worked for me...
Hello to all my name is andrea and i have suffered from pvc's for years, i have pulmonary stenosis (from birth) like you all i suffer from pvc's every other beat, i have been rushed to the emergancy room a number of time through this and spent 5 nights in conary care. As i have congenital heart disease the doctors and heart specilists say they are caused by this. But last year i was rushed into hospital with everybeat an pvc and that turned out to be low pottassium levels i was given 2 drips one potassium and another one sodium this did the trick my pvcs had stopped!!!! so maybe a few of you should ask for a pottasium blood level test!!!! Another thing that sets my pvcs off is when i am due a period, most women get sore breasts and painfull cramp i get pvcs!!!!! I also just had a heart scan which i normally get once a year to monitor my pulmonary stenosis, all in all i have had 5 heart scans over the last 5 year all coming back pulmonary stenosis only, The last scan also picked up a massive hole in my heart called an ASD !!!!! HOW THE OTHER SCANS FAILED TO PICK THIS UP I NEVER KNOW???????????? my heart specilist failed to tell me my scan had picked this up and said my heart scan was ok and that he'd see me in a year!!!!! Thanks to an attack of pvcs i was rushed into hospital yet again for potassium levels and a doctor had found my scan resluts saying i had a massive hole in my heart that needed surgery!!!!!! i am now on the waiting list for  heart surgery in march this year, as a result of the hole in my heart i now have pulmoary stenosis pulmonary hypotension and very strong pvc's, i am on propranolol 20mg 3 times a day and still get pvcs loads!!! i dont have any side affect off my medication like dry or cracked nails/fingers just slight insomnia at night and tiredness during the day!!!!!! SO TO ALL YOU PEOPLE OUT THERE DONT STOP TILL YOU HAVE HAD LOADS OF TESTS DONE TO MAKE SURE YOU HAVE NO OTHER HEART PROBLEMS LIKE I HAVE FOUND OUT!!!! BUT I DO THANK MY PVCS AS IF I HAD'NT HAD THEM SO BAD THAT NIGHT AND WENT TO HOSPITAL I WOULD OF NEVER FOUND OUT ABOUT MY HOLE IN MY HEART AND MOST LIKELY OF HAD A STROKE OR EVEN WORSE THAN THAT BY NOW !!!!!!!!! i wish you all the best of luck andrea ( sunderland tyne and wear)
You sure you are not me.  Lady thank you so very much.  I am wearing a 30 day holter monitor ask I type this message.  I have worn these things a million times.  All of my test were exactly like yours and we have the same results, "nothing's wrong".  My PVC's are about to drive me up the wall and back.  Thank God for revelations.  I am now felling better in the mind knowing that I am not alone on this one.  I have copied and pasted your message so I can gve it to the heart specialist.  Thank you so much. May God bless you.  Oh yeah, we are all looking for answers.
I am 53 and have suffered with very-mild-to-moderate PVC's for almost 20 years now.  However, in the last 3 months, I would say that the PVC's are now in the moderate-to-severe range.  
Cardio doc says the same things you folks are saying that your docs say, "Nothing they can really do, unles you actually start passing out."  I have come close, believe me.
Seems to be worse at night when I lay down.  Laying on the left side can be particularly rough.  The best position seems to be on my back.
PVC's occur about every 4 or 5 beats at times, and kick you backside.  You feel like you cannot get any air, and in a state of almost passing out.  It's a nightmare.  My husband wakes up and prays for me, and that is the ONLY thing that seems to calm me down.
After all these years I am convinced that there are triggers.  Some people are effected by one, some by several.  Here are some that I have isolated: STRESS, hormonal imbalance, vitamin/mineral deficiency, levels of dehydration (most of us do not drink adequate water), food allergies (some you have no idea that you are allergic to, but they kick off PVC's), indigestion - including acid reflux, not breathing properly (take good breaths, not shallow ones).  
I am on a blood pressure med (Diovan) and I take Zyrtec for control of hives and allergy rashes.  Zyrtec can cause dry mouth, and so I have wondered if it depletes me and causes dehydration, wich can set off PVC's.  I am still investigating that one.  
I am also overweight.  When I lost weight, I noticed a decrease in PVC's, so am now on a plan to get this excess off.  Forget looking good, I just want to FEEL good.  That's where I am on this.  
Please keep posting when you discover things that can help.  This is a scary condition, and if anything helps somebody overcome it, I say let's help each other!!!
I have had terrible reactions to Zytec, my EP told me to stay clear.  It does dehydrate you.  I get terrible runs of SVT when I take Zytec, I now use Nasonex and thats it.
It appears many PVCs are caused by anxiety and stress.  I think mine are.  And once you have a few you get even more anxious waiting for the next ones to strike.  Then anxiety, fear, panic cycle starts which only makes the adrenalin start flowing even more. This leads to stress, mental and physical exhaustion.  There is a book that has helped me a lot, "Hope and Help for Your Nerves", by Claire Weeks.  This site and all your posts help A LOT too.  Keep beliveing in yourself!
(For those of you tall, small-ribbed women, I'm short and built like a linebacker - lol!).  I started getting PVC's last Dec.  They're annoying, at best.  I finally did a test this month - I cut way, way back on my sugar intake (and no icky fake sugars - ever!), ate smaller, healthy meals and the PVC's subsided.  So, today, after a good night's sleep and feeling very relaxed, I (intentionally) ate a popsicle.  IMMEDIATELY the PVC's started (and are still going... ugh).  I'm thinking, for me at least, sugar is a no-no from now on...
I am 20 years old i had a panik attack a couple of days ago but before that i was perfectly healthy.Now i feel like my heart is racing i feel some chest pain and sometimes in extreme cases i feel like a chocking sensation. But the problem is i get this feeling only when i am under a lot of stress.A couple of hours after that i get a feeling of drowsiness and i just feel like going to sleep.
walking,talking about things that make me happy or unhappy,driving,even eating and studying make me have these episodes.
I have to finish with university and i really don't know how to cope with all this together since university studies is also part of my stress.

Anyone has a on spot solution?
The skips probably won't kill you but the aspartme may
fish oil and vitamin E for me
Caffeine, for sure!!
I have experienced the skipped beats occasionally for years, but now I'm noticing that the week before "that time of the month" it seems to happen a bit more.  I'm surprised that I have not heard more women (who have this problem) express this.

I do have a mild case of Mitral Valve Prolapse, and the two may be connected, so I've read.  All who wrote about sugar, artificial ingredients, salt, preservatives and chemicals being a trigger--its the same for me.  I am on a very restricted diet (low carb and no sugar--boring!) and it helps tremendously with palpitations as well as skipped beats.  
Here area few tips that have helped me:

Stay as hydrated: Your heart is like a sac. When you are well hydrated your heart is plumb and full. You want your heart to stay plumb and full because this is when it functions best! Hydration, hydration, hydration!!!!! It does make a big difference. Carry a water bottle with you wherever you go.

Avoid high-sodium foods & MSG: MSG is a vasodilator and it will dilate your blood vessels, increasing your blood flow and heart rate. For most people with PVC, this can trigger tachycardia (a fast heart rate) and PVCs.

Reduce stress: We all have stress and it can't always be avoided. So, find a hobby your enjoy, exercise regularly, get weekly massages, acupuncture, read.... Do whatever helps you relax and off-set the physical effects of stress.

Avoid caffeine: This isn't true for everyone, but it is true for me. I'm not sure why it effects me because any physical activity that increases my heart rate tends to decrease my PVCs. But, when my heart rate is increased due to caffeine, I definitely feel it.

Avoid large amounts sugar: This is just a good rule of thumb in general.

Avoid aspartame and diet sodas: I'm not sure why, but this is a definite trigger for me.

Get plenty of sleep: I'm in nursing school with two children and when I'm up studying late at night, I notice that my PVCs kick in fairly often.

Overall: I would recommend a healthily diet (organic and low in sugar, if possible), regular exercise, plenty of sleep and stress-reducing activities.
Magnesium is good help to treat palpitations. 80% of american are defcient this could help. Take daily value only.
56.  Had an ablation 2010.  Dr injured the defect with electricity but could not eliminate it.  Good for a yr .  Now some symptoms return.  Definety cannot drink even ONE cup of coffee even in morning.  One Coke before 6 I can get away with.  Occasional nervousness brings out PVCs also.  Mostly a problem as I lay down for bed.  Can feel like the end right there; slight pressure, shaking in the chest, ect.  When the small Amdien kicks in fine.  I don't drink or smoke.
Dr says equipment is advanced not sure if I want another Ablation.  Ins company was billed $83,000.  Wow!  6 hr procedure.  Do not know future here-prognosis.  Also had Lymes twice.
I'm 49, male, active, and PVC's started 3 months ago for me.  Doctors said not to worry about it, and sometimes the PVC's are minor, but some PVC events have also been scary.

Over Christmas, the PVC's were horrible.  So, I'm investigating food allergies / intolerances.  I stopped eating all grains (bread, cookies, pasta) and within a day I was 50% better.  But I was still having some significant PVC events, so 2 days later I stopped eating most dairy as well (ice cream, sweet yogurt and milk for me) and within a day the PVC's were almost all gone (or was it it the sugar in the dairy?). I've also "tried" to stop eating extra sugar but damn that's hard. For several days now, I've basically been on an Atkin's - like? diet of meat, eggs, vegetables, fruit and nuts, and have only had a few minor PVC's and feel way better!

SO!  Is it a food allergy?  Am I allergic / intolerant to grains, or dairy, or both?  Is it simply sugar intake that I need to cut down on?  Is it the additives that some in this thread talk of?  (not many of those in meat, vegetables, fruit and nuts you would think)

Over the next several weeks, I intend to start re-introducing things one at a time. (already tried ice cream - my vise, and it's definitely a no-go.  I had PVC's and felt like I had a hangover the rest of the day)  I have a doctor appointment in a few weeks and will be consulting of course.

I really liked the suggestion in this thread of taking a claratin antihistamine (I have springtime allergies).  Not that I intend to start medicating to mask the symptoms, but it would help me determine if it is an allergic reaction I am dealing with.

I'm really optimistic about this!!  If it's only diet that I have to adjust, and my diet probably needed adjusting anyways, then how easy is that!
Lots to think about here.  I may make my New Year's resolutions include eating more natural foods.  Caffeine, large meals, lack of sleep, carbonated drinks, forgetting my reflux meds all cause irregular beats for me.
I've had an irregular heart for about 2 years, its gotten much worse it seems. It used to be fast and irregular, now it's usually really slow and irregular. it will do this weird thing where it beats 3 times, then skips, beats  times, then skips, beats 5 times then skips, then goes back to 3. It will do this ALL night sometimes. It's usually fine during the day. I've noticed that sometimes having some caffeine will actually cause the irregularity to stop, like it get my heart a little kick into gear. I've also noticed if i get really stressed about the irregular beat, and i get a jolt of adrenaline, it usually stops. it's the weirdest thing and i can't find any connections to diet, stress. i eat very healthy all natural and have experimented with a number of diets but no difference. ive been to the emergency room a few times and the cardiologist, but of course when taking the ecg's or holter monitor my heart decides to be normal lol
I had an initial bout of PVCs which my doc said were not threatening, but of course there is the anxiety issue.  I had a cardiac workup which showed nothing wrong.  The cardiologist said she also had PVCs which at times even gave her pain.  
    I mentioned this to my daughter who is a doc in internal medicine, and the first thing she asked me was if they did blood tests for electrolytes.  I said no, but in the past they have been normal, She said "normal" is not a good response.  She said at her hospital they try to keep patients on high normal potassium and high normal magnesium,  So the next day I drank low sodium V8 which is high in potassium and ate a few bananas.  Guess what, the PVCs went away!  The next day the monitor came which I was on for 2 weeks, and of course, now not a single PVC showed up!
      Here's what I have found that can trigger PVCs and which I try to avoid:
Daily glass of wine (supposed to be good for you, but brings on PVCs)
Asparagus
Large intake of vegetables such as cauliflower, brocchali, brussel spouts, cabage -- the cruciferous vegetables
Aspartame
Large intake of beans such as black beans, chick peas,  or other gas-producing vegetables
Dehydration -- can definitely bring on PVCs
Things that deplete magnesium -- such as prilosec and other PPIs (proton pump inhibitors)
Caffeine, chocolate, stimulants of all kinds (even that in antihistamine drugs and asthma meds and inhalers)
The asparagus one was a real surprise, but since I love that vegetable when it's in season I would eat every day and the PVCs would start!  Took me two years (two seasons) to figure that one out.
Every day I try to drink a glass of low sodium V8 with it's high potassium and eat a banana.  Seems to work if I also avoid the other stuff.  Good luck to everyone with PVCs!
Wow! Asparagus? I can not believe that I just logged on and found this information.  I have been having irregular heart rate issues now for over a year.  I have had all the test just like every one els.  All normal.  I am sitting here at midnight with another night of racing heart rate,  Up to 100 while I was try to sleep. It is now  down to  80.   Then anxiety kicks in and I get the sweets and shakes, and I start thinking what is wrong with me.  I am so tired of this.   So I have been looking info up on line trying to get me mind on something else when I found this. I have been trying to figure out my trigger foods.  My new doctor is trying to help me find an answer, but it is a slow process. I am so tired of this. It is hard when you have anxiety issues then doctor do not take you seriously.  They just say you need to be on an anti-anxiety drug.  That is what my last doctor did.  That made everything worse.  I was having all kinds of side affects.  Hallucinations, ADHD. Depression, constipation, which I already had so it made thing even more difficult. Then when I went in for my three week fallow up appointment he told me that I had so much stuff going on that he could not help me I needed to see a psychiatrists.  Ay!  I  Had stuff going on.  I have been to so many counselors, psychiatrists, anger , marriage  counseling, over the past 22 years, and they all say the same thing that there is nothing wrong. My new doctor has found that I am low in  vitamin D, and have some thyroid issues that may be from the low vitamin D.  So also said that my slow digestion and IBS symptoms, can all be related to the low D.  She did over $2,0000.00 wroth of blood test that the other two doctors did not do and found the I do not have Celiac decease but I do have a sensitivity to wheat.  I also found that I can not eat ice cream, all the cabbage's , broccoli, etc. but tonight I just figured out that I have issues with asparagus. Who would have thought.  I have been so careful with what I ate today. I  have cut out milk, cheese, wheat, and the stuff I mentioned above.  Today I had an egg for breakfast with three organic turkey sausage, the for lunch I had a banana , organic frozen peach smoothy made with almond milk, oat meal, and some yogurt.  Dinner was asparagus, with lemon, roasted chicken, two corn tortillas, and a few strawberries.  I might also be the corn tortillas. Boy if I am sensitive to corn  plus wheat!! What will I eat? The doctor that put me on the anti-anxiety meds said I had IBS witch I do have but it is a slow digestion with a build up of gas that pushes on my intestines and causes the nerves to over react and sent pain signals up to my brain which then sends signals through out my body and makes my heart rate race and some times while I am starting to fall a sleep my heart will stop.  Then when it starts back up it will race.  Very scary. My new Dr. is going to have my do an ultrasound on my Gall Bladder. Might have some issues with it. If any one has any more info. please post it.  Still trying to find answers
The comment about PPIs and H2 blockers for heartburn was right on.  I stopped using Nexium and/or Zantac and my PVCs (which had been in the range of 8000 a day) totally stopped.  My cardiologist said that PPIs and H2 blockers not only deplete our body of calcium and B vitamins, but also of magnesium (which our heart needs).  Since stopping the meds  almost two years ago and using only  calcium and magnesium antacid tablets as needed, my PVCs are gone.  
Thanks for your post. I thought I had it bad having over 6,000 PVC'S in a 24 hour peoiod. I have had heart problems since 1996. In 1999 I had a ablation for SVT and atrial flutter. My doctor burned out my natural pacemaker and I had a  permanent pacemaker implanted. I was off all medicine until recently. I started having all these PVC's. I really notice them at night. After reading alot of the posts I feel a lot better. I am petite so I think that might make a difference. I have a appointment with the Mayo Cinic a week from today. I am thinking that maybe I don't even need to go and really pay attention to what I am eating. The only thing that scares me is that I have been having waves of dizziness. I am a realtor and drive alot of my buyers around to look at homes.  I don't want to put anyone in danger when I am driving. I am wondering if  you or anybody else has dizziness with this.
yes, I get dizzy too from them. No rhyme or reason - get them when im hungry or full, tired or awake...thousands a day.  Just wonder why all of a sudden they started.   probably chemical or electrical.  I could live with them if it wasn't for the terrible fatigue and light headedness. Im trying everything - magnesium, potassium, less sugar, less caffine, etc.  trying to reduce stress.  Im thin, always athletic, but take on too much in any given day and just wonder if its fatigue, or perimenopausal changes. Have a good Doc who is running ALL the test including a cat/angiogram. At least Ill know what I DON'T have, right?
I have had dizziness many times throughout the day for over 10 years know.  I have anxiety and panic attaches off and on for over 20 years.  I went to the ER last june thinking I was having a stroke, heart attach/blood clot?? The doctor that was on duty that day did all kinds of test ekg, blood, chest x-rays.  Found nothing.  I was not a panic or anxiety attach but She could not find anything.  Good right!  well I continued to have the strange feeling that started at my neck and ran down my right side to my waist.  Plus I was having my heart stop at night just as I was starting to go to sleep.  Then when my heart started back up my heart rate would go up to 90, 100, 110, sometimes it would go up to 123.  IT has been a whole year with no answers from three different  doctors.  My regular doctor that I have been going to for over twenty years had me do heart monitor for 24 hours.  He found a slight missed heart beat so he had me do a tread mill test in his office he still saw a milled missed beat so he had me do a stress test with the radio active stuff  that said everything looked normal.  ( what is normal?) so from there off to a cardiologist he said I did have a small skipped heart beat ,but was very common and that I was just a little more sensitive to it than most people and it did not require any meds.  I also had a thyroid test witch was normal. :/ So I was getting no where and still having issues. That were very scary.  So off to a new Doc.  He had me do a 24 hour oxygen test, normal.  Sleep apnea test with a sleep Doc all good.  Did not find anything.  Never fails that when I go to any of the test my heart did not stop.  So off to some other Doc.  How kind of set me on the right track.  I just could not take it any longer so I called my first doctors office he was out so I saw one of the other Docs in the same office he said IBS!  That my intestines were so full of gas that it was pushing on the nerves were over reacting and sending pain signals up to my brain witch was then telling my body that I has in stress ( like a heart attach) Which then lead me to my new Doctor.  How I thank has finally figured out what is going on after over $3,000.00 worth of blood tests. that I have an allergy and intolerance to wheat.  It is not celiac. I have been gluten free now for two weeks.  After the Fifth day I was able to sleep through the night no heart problems, and my husband said that I do not snore anymore. The dizziness, light headiness, racing heart rate, stopping hear rate all have stopped. :). I have more anergy, and no more depression.  I also have low vitamin D.  She has me taking 5000 IU a day.
Thank you for your comment. My doctor did a thyroid test and it was off so I starting taking medicine for that and I am feeling alot better. It's amazing!! I know that alot of people from my church have been praying so I am sure it was the combination of the medicine and prayer.I really feel bad for all these people that are suffering from this. I am always busy with my family, work, church etc.. I think I need to learn to take time and rest. I hope you feel better soon.  I will be praying for you.
Well on Monday I am going to go have my ultrasound on my gall bladder.  I have been having a warm felling under my right ribs now for over 11 years.  May be because of the gluten thing, or a gall bladder problem.  I was told 11 years ago when it first stared having the warm feeling that is was hormones.  I was three months pregnant at the time.  Then after my daughter was born it continued off and on over the years.  I just kind of ignored it.  Thought it was do to pre menopausal symptoms.  Now with all the other digestion and heart issues I have been having I feel it might all be related.  Then to find out from my sister that when I was young my Dad had to have his gall bladder taken out.  So thought it would be a good idea to check it out.  But have been feeling so much better staying away from  gluten and dairy, and soy products. My heart is much better.  I had a little bit of a skippy   heart last night, but not as bad as it has been in the past.  I tried some gluten free chocolate chip cookies yesterday.  I had four of them.  I think they bothered me.  This morning I read the ingredients a little better.  They have soy lecithin in them.  I think that caused some gas that bothered my heart.  Well I wont eat those anymore.  

My new Doctor feels that the reason I had the strange felling in my neck and down my right side that sent me to the ER last June.  Was because of the low vitamin D3 caused my thyroid to swell and put presser on my nerves and blood vessels in my neck.  Makes sense. I am taking 5000 IU of D a day.

Hope every one finds answers and starts to feel better soon.
I developed AF in 1992 which was very well controlled by Rythmol (Proafenone 225mg 3 times a day).  Eventually I had to add metoprolol to help control it.  Finally got so bad that I had ablation done (2007) and it worked for the most part.  In the last two years I have developed PVC's which come and go. Sometimes heavy exercise seems to trigger them.  Alcohol is a definite trigger, but surprisingly caffeine does not seem to be.  I very rarely partake of either.  I noticed that a heavy meal (like my favorite fat laden pizza that I pig out on) will increase my heart rate and sometimes bring on the PVC's.  I have noticed that if I eat several light meals (I can still eat pizza but in smaller amounts) rather than a few heavy meals that seems to make a big difference.  The triggers are different for everybody, but controlling mental and physical stress (yes, including gut busting meals) alcohol and caffeine or other substances that increase heart rate should help.  Also, for me, not wearing my belts extremely tight or putting excess pressure on my abdomen helps to control my PVC's.  I exercise quite a bit and found that doing an excess of abdominal exercises will trigger an episode of PVC's  I told my MD and the cardiologist about this and they seemed stumped.  All they could tell me was to avoid excess sit-ups, etc.  Sort of like the old joke "Does it hurt when you do this?  Yes.  Well don't do that!"  Try to find out what triggers them for you and then avoid those situations.  Anyway, good luck to all with this frustrating condition.  Unfortunately, it seems that most people that develop this problem are stuck with it for life.  The best thing you can do is not fret about it.  I noticed that when I'm focused on the problem it seems to get worse.  Oh yeah, and make sure you get plenty of rest.  A sleep disorder can cause irregular beats so you may want to have that checked also.  Good luck!!
Ice Cream is a big trigger for me too :(.  I have been doing some research on line and found that if ice cream bothers you that it could be Gall Bladder issues.  I am going to have an ultrasound done on my Gall Bladder on Monday.  Since I have gone gluten, dairy and soy product free for the past three weeks I sure have felt much better. I agree that simple foods have been the best for me. Fruit, veggies, except no broccoli :(, cabbage, or brussel sprouts, fish, low fat meat, no beef, nuts, no beans, (beans bad). have been helping to get my heart back on track.  It is odd to go to bed at night and not feel my heart stopping, or flipping.  I have become so use to having to ignore what my heart was doing, now I like is it still working, because I do not feel it any more.  I guess that is good. I have only been trying out the diet thing for three weeks now and I am feeling much better.  I hear it takes two months for all the allergens to be all gone.  It is so worth it to watch what I eat to feel so much better.  Hope you find your trigger foods.
WOW...I finally found someone else with the SAME problem...I get lil hiccups with the PVC's during the daytime but then when I lay down at night they are really intense PVC's and I could never figure out why!!!! I've been taking Xanax cuz the PVC's cause me such anxiety and that keeps them slightly at bay, but I want them to GO AWAY so I can go to sleep!!
it happens to me too especially when I eat very salty food or when I get anxious
I know your post is 5 years old but I am new on this site. I thank you for all the information regarding HR. I have been looking for a reason for the rapid and skipped heart episodes. As you said doctors are quick to prescribe medicies for it and I'm thankful because it is scary. However if I can find a reason for them, the problem will be solved.
Well my ultrasound results are in.  My Gall Bladder is good, my liver good but they found cysts on my kidney. The cysts can cause some of the pain issues I have been having.  When I am gassy, and bloated it can cause my intestines to press on the cysts then cause pain to my kidney then that can trigger the adrenal glad to respond by sending adrenaline to my heart, witch cause some of heart rhythm problems and panic issues.  I have cysts in each of my breasts so my Dr. feels that I have a gene for cysts.  Witch is very scary.  Because they can grow just about anywhere including the brain.  I will have to do more research about it.  I am also going to get a advent heart monitor for a month.  So the heart Dr. can track what is happening. I am also going to get an ultrasound done on my heart. The Dr. would like to see if there is a damage done to my heart from having it stop at night so many times for so long.  Well I guess that stupid Dr. I went to back in October that put me on the anti-anxiety pills ways right about one thing I do have a lot of stuff going on.  But nothing a psychiatrist could fix. I have been on a no gluten, no dairy, no soy product diet now for four weeks.  I have been feeling so much better. I do not have celiac but I do have a intolerance or (allergy) to those things. I have been feeling so much better.  My heart has stopped stopping at night.  I have had a few little flips and skips but nothing like I was having before.  I have been sleeping so much better.  It feels so good.  It is easy to stay on the diet because I feel so good.  It is just not worth it to eat that stuff.  My Cholesterol has gotten a little better just in four weeks. Vitamin D is up from 35 to 75 in three months witch has also helped my thyroid.  So no thyroid meds. Yeppy!  So far is all I am taking is the vitamin  D3, and my hormone replacement. The diet is the best.  So easy to do. Except I had a dream the other night that I was eating a donut and half way through it I realized that I could not eat it and I had to throw it away, and I was very sad.  So the next day I made some gluten free, dairy free chocolate brownies, they were pretty good even my 15 year old liked them.
How is the ablation working out for you? Did you have a fib ablation?

Please look into Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome (POTS). It is a very unheard of nervous system disorder that prevents the body from being able to properly adjust to the pull of gravity. Therefore, symptoms arise, such as: rapid heart rate upon standing, low or high blood pressure, dizziness, fainting, fatigue, sweating, headaches, shortness of breath, inability to exercise, digestion problems, etc. The symptoms are endless and vary person to person day to day. PVCs and lots of triggers are also involved.

Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

Best wishes,
Brandi
Since you are 5 months post partum, have you thought about a possible hormone connection to your PVCs?  I started getting PVCs after the birth of my baby, and they get particularly  
Since you are 5 months post partum, have you thought about a possible hormonal connection to your PVCs?  I started getting PVCs after the birth of my baby, and now they get particularly bad around ovulation and my period.  I'm seeing a gynecologist next week to discuss this issue.  I've had every heart test out there and my heart has been deemed healthy.  I feel like there is a root cause, and I think hormones are the culprit.   Something to consider.........
Interesting to learn that water stops your irregular heart beats.same here I have found that drinking copious amounts of water stops the thumping and banging...
Just found this site. I am comforted to know I am not going crazy at least! I have had PVCs - 3 trips to the ER in the past month. I have had this twice in the the past and ended up with very low potassium and had to have IV potassium for it. Now on two megadoses of potassium per day. It seems if my potassium drops to 3.4 (3.5 is normal) I get them but I have also had them with potassium levels of 4.0. Had echostress test with no problems. Doc upped my BP meds but no change. Could it be hormonal?
I've noticed that mine are much worse when I'm dehydrated or have been drinking juices or sodas instead of water.
I stopped all caffeine in October but it seems like they have gotten worse. I am only drinking water. Boring and not helping. Every time I sit down or lay down they are even more noticeable. My doc is taking me off hormones, change of life at a month shy of 60, although I had a hysterectomy at age 26. The PVCs or whatever they are have been driving me crazy!! Any other ideas?
Going gluten free cleared up my life long frequent pvcs!  Also have to eliminate other cross reactive foods, at least for a while, ie coffee, dairy.
This thread is inspiring. I am new to this forum and new to PVCs. I am 29 years old, male. Non drinker, non smoker. My PVCs started one week ago and just did all the checks today. My heart is structually normal and everything is fine including blood pressure.

Yet, my PVCs under 24 hours holter is about 750. I know it's not harmful as of now but same as everyone the feeling is disturbing. I believe the count will be higher if I go to work. (I am in finance industry).

Anxiety certainly makes this worse. But I am determined to fight this PVCs. My doc gave me 12.5mg Betaloc ZOK on daily basis and it seems not helping too much.

So I hope to change my living style to stop PVCs. From the above I learnt that even a small change can help. It seems to me there are loads of things different people may be responsive to but I am trying to summarise major components below:

- More potassium
- More magnesium
- More water
- avoid alochol
- avoid Caffeine
- avoid too much sugar
- avoid grains / Gluten

I will start changing my diet and see when I can kick away the PVCs, Will keep this thread going since 2007 by ARHMOM. And please forgive me english. Obviously you can tell I am not an english native speaker from my nickname. Thanks.
My palpitations started 4 months post partum and I too am very anxious! I am terrified of these! Did they catch yours on a monitor? My acid reflu cause more palps and for them to feel stronger also.
My own odyssey and analysis ----

I am nearly 60 and started having PVCs that were noticeable or frequent about 6 years ago.  What I want to add to this long list of comments is the observation, perhaps painfully obvious, that the triggers may be different for everyone, but the "process" has to be pretty similar for us all, because we are all built pretty much the same.  What I mean here is that we all have cells on the surface of the heart that initiate the premature beat -- a signal has to get to these cells somehow.  How?  Physical contact is one way, nerve signal is another, chemistry (i.e. blood levels of x, y, or z) might be a third.  In my case, I think the problem is physical contact of the heart with an irritated esophagus and/or a bloated stomach.  From what I've studied about the vagus nerve, I am not sure I can make a case for nerve signals triggering PVCs -- vagus stimulation is said to slow down, not speed up, heart rate.  And the pathways of the vagus among the heart and other organs -- it's hard to say whether it's even possible for signals to travel that way (think of a network of one-way streets).  So I can't rule out the vagus, but it's hard for me to make a case for it.  Regarding chemistry, the body is pretty good at regulating the levels of the ions and chemicals it needs (via liver and kidneys)... I think for most people who have a reasonable balanced diet, don't overdo any food or drink, and don't have an organ problem, their chemistry is probably pretty close to balance. (Which probably explains why everyone, like me, gets back lab results that say "everything is normal".)

What I wanted to share here is how frustrating it can be to "pick apart" all the factors and figure out what could be a contributing factor and what is not, especially when the trigger is complex.  For instance, in my case I have decided that my PVCs can come from air-in-the-stomach that presses on the diaphragm that contacts the heart... OR from LES spams that cause my esophagus to quiver, and the esophagus travels next to my heart... OR from sitting or lying in such a way that doesn't give my heart its usual space.  Where does air in the stomach come from?  Excessive swallowing.  Why do I do that?  Apparently GERD makes people swallow more.  Why do I have GERD?  Probably too much alcohol. (I have since cut out all carbonated and citrus drinks).  See where this goes?  

My doctor a while back had prescribed beta blockers to decrease my tendency to have lengthy PVC episodes.  Well, it didn't work, I eventually had another episode.  That's when my cardio doctor told me that beta blockers have not been scientifically shown to help arhythmias like PVCs.  In fact, he said that by slowing down the heart rate, it can actually make people more sensitive to a premature beat.  And I found out that beta blockers are suspected of lowering LES tone.  So -- something that one doctor prescribed to help me, actually turned out to be counterproductive, ONCE YOU KNOW WHAT THE MECHANISM IS.

My advice is to think about this as an engineer does -- think about what is going on physically and/or electrically and/or chemically to make this happen, and then do something to fix the source of the problem.  It seems so often that we are treated like cars, and we get into this cycle with our doctors of "trying things and see what works."  That's OK if you have infinite patience.  I liked the idea expressed earlier about keeping a diary.  That will definitely help you approach this in a logical scientific way.

What do *I* need to do?  (1) Lose weight.  My belly fat (about 25 lbs overweight) must create less space than my organs need down there.  Which makes me more sensitive to bloating.  And the crowding may also make my LES work harder than it is able to.  (2) Stop the GERD.  Whatever it takes. Until I lose the weight, that's Prilosec and/or simethicone and/or Gaviscon.  I just have to keep pulling out the bigger guns until I have it under control.  (3) I have stopped the beta blocker but now I need a new BP medicine to augment my main one.  -- Maybe some weight loss would help!

If I do all these things, I will probably have fewer PVCs, based on my experience.  What I really want to avoid are the extended (15-30-45 minute) episodes of 3-5 PVCs in every 10-15 beats... that's happened to me 3 times now and I hate that, though I'm obviously not dead yet.

So thank you all for writing, and good luck to you.
One last thing -- the reason I don't think it is "chemistry" for me at least is that I have often been able to do things (like burp, shift positions, take Gas-X) that *instantly* relieve or change the rate of the PVCs.  If it were just body chemistry causing my PVCs, I would not be able to make instantaneous changes.  When you are talking about blood levels of ions, protiens, etc. it takes hours and hours to reduce/restore those levels to equilibrium by action of the liver/kidneys.  So, in your case, if you are able to get relatively "instant-relief" by a certain means, then maybe body chemistry is not your problem.
I ran a 24 hours holter so they catched all my PVCs and its 750 a day. I think i got more during work.

I am just back from a business trip and I found that I have more PVCs while I was walking around. On the flight it doesnt affect too much though.

Since my first PVC from last week I have cut down alochol and cokes...but seems doesnt help too much. Last nite was a very peacful night of which I think I got like at most 10 pvc an hour but today it's bad again. Back to like 8- per hour. Seems I still have a long way to find my triggers.

Anyway, I have bought supplements for potassium and magnesium as well as CO-CQ10 of which people in this forum mentioned its useful in some cases. I will update here after taking them later....good luck to you Kelly.
Interesting. So your case is not related to Chemisty Creative60? Did you mention your findings about gas in your stomach to the doctor? I think I might have similar issue coz I eat very fast.

In fact, I have lost quite a lot of weight in the past 2 years. I was at 200 pounds and now down to 165. I am thinking if too much weight loss with trigger PVC but I doubt it.

I do feel certain positions will ease my PVCs but I can't tell if that relates to my diaphragm. Instead, I feel my PVC shoots up when I walk fast (maybe just my heart beats faster and PVC more). Also, through the 24 monitor I can see my PVC happens mainly in daytime. It can be 80 per hour but when I sleep it drops to below 10 per hour.

So I am thinking body imblance is not an issue to me too but anyway I will try the supplements tonight.

Last but not least, I took a 3 hours flight both yesterday and today. PVC frequency didnt change much so all we PVCers please feel free to travel.

I will keep this thread going until I find my triggering factors and share with everyone!
Creative60, I found out PVC actually slows down alot when I lie down with my upper body elevated. Is this related to GERD?

But for Prilosec, I read something in another forum that prolonged using in this pill may delpete magnesium and caused PVC. One member there mentioned stop taking Prilosec for 2 weeks and completely cured his PVC.

http://www.skippinghearts.com/forum/f1/acid-reflux-pvcs-2896/index4/
Just back from hospital after a body check. I have acid reflux due to lax OG junction. Potassium level is ok. So I guess my PVC is mainly due to the stomach as it happens more often after eating. I am given Pantoloc but I wanna switch to Zantac as PPI will drive PVC as well...
Great day today. I feel my PVC are getting less frequent and it seems the magnitude are less strong compared to the past. Actually the change happened yesterday.

So far I have made the below changes since the first PVC 2 weeks ago:

- magnesium supplement daily
- Co-Q10 supplement daily
- all round vitamins/minerals supplement from Centurium daily
- cut carb
- cut cokes
- cut coffee
- cut alcohol
- discovered acid reflux and taking Pantoloc daily
- banana daily
- changed from drinking distilled water to mineral water

I can feel that I am improving!!!
I have noticed there are times in my life when the PVCs are more frequent.  There was a spell when I had a lot of diet sodas and those seemed to bring them on.  I don't have a problem with coffee, so I think it is the artificial sweeteners in the soda.  I also believe that there could be an allergy factor to it, because I used to have a really bad problem with allergies and sinus troubles, and it seems my SVT happened more frequently then, and I couldn't hardly take anything for allergies because even the meds seemed to trigger it.  Finally I had surgery to alleviate the swelling in my nose and sinus cavities, everything drained out, and I found a medicine that worked for me.  Everything settled down.  

Now I am on a different birth control because the one I was on before was making my appetite rage out of control.  The BC I'm on now seems to be causing heartburn, which is a trigger for me.  It seems if I eat ANYTHING I get heartburn.

I'm also noticing that for me any time I have had a particularly bothersome episode of SVT, it tends to be when I'm either stressed, excited, exerted, along with a quick change in position, like bending down quickly, or bouncing up and down.  My first episode happened while I was just laying in bed as a teenager.  I was too scared to even get up and move... I thought I was dying.  Then a year or two later I was cleaning my fish tank and going up and down the stairs to get supplies for that, then bent over to pet my cat and boom.  Had an episode that lasted for hours and went to the ER.  During those days a small town ER didn't really do anything for it but monitor me.

Other times that it happened:  At the beach while jumping up and down in the waves, talking on the phone with a friend and bending over to pick something up, at the grocery store when I was tired and dehydrated, after cross country skiing, getting into bed (bending over to lay down), and the latest time was when I was just laying and I quickly flipped over onto my left side to show my husband something on my tablet.  That was the episode that landed me in the ER.  Now that sounds like a lot of times, but I've been getting these things for over 15 years now and I'd say they happen maybe once or twice a year on a bad year.  Sometimes I've gone a couple of years without having them at all.

Personally I think I do pretty well with not having PVCs if I am exercising a lot and eating healthy.  I am admittedly not in the best shape lately.  I have gained about 25 lbs from my ideal body weight so there is more pressure on my stomach, gas, heartburn, etc.  I recently started working out again, doing the 30 day shred.  I occasionally get a PVC or two while doing the cardio portions of that, but those are decreasing the more I do the workout.

Oh and I also find that I have more PVCs when I'm actually coming down off of coffee, not while the caffiene is still in me.  I find that they become more bothersome if my heart rate is slow, not fast.  I feel like I'm almost more prone to an episode of SVT if my heart rate is really slow when I get a flutter.
Thanks for sharing Cvan. Luckily my PVCs have improved greatly in the past few days. It only lasted like 2 weeks to me so I considered myself the lucky one.

Yes these irregular heartbeats are really annoying. I hope you can kick them away forever too!
For me the triggers are primarily

heavy meal
acid reflux
caffeine
wheat
sugar
high carbs

Dealing with all the above has been challenging, but has really helped!Sometimes, I just have no clue!!!
Good luck-it's not east
breathing (i dont think) has been mentioned. .Normal is 1 breath every 5 seconds.  if you feel tingly or cant seem to slow down your breathing youcan rebalance your co2/oxygen in your blood with a paper bag.  hold a sandwich bg over your nose and mouth snug and breathe for 5 minutes (only)  and dont do it again.  try to keeep track of your breathing and kep it low and slow.  realize that you're OK and that this happens to others.

Also try sitting and "pressuring yourself" like you would if you were straining on the toilet.  

I do sit-ups and crunches and deep knee bends and it gets my heart in a normal rhythm - sometimes I'm fine and others -after a few minutes of lying down- they kick back up.  It is the thinking aspect but I've noticed when I get real groggy they kick in- I should try geting to sleep BEFORE getting the pvcs.  I'm going to see if benadryl (not sudafed) will be OK to use as it puts me to sleep..

Also- sounds like gatorade and vitamins - regularly- can help the mineral issue.  I'm going to get on this as the pvcs have come back in spades lately-  a constant rolling tumbls that doesnt quit for several hours.  had it checked out - pvcs.  

Good luck and remember the breathing "overbreathing" imbalances your blood ph and causes all sorts of problems.  look up "hypocapnia" to get handle ofn this.  over breathin is hyperventilating just not so obvious.

Also- say "no"  to yourself if you feel like you're going to think things that set them off.  You cannot "not "think about something, you have to think about something else.  It's like "don't picture an apple"  the mind cannot focus on the opposite of an idea.  "don't miss"  all your mind can think about is missing.

Also, quit your bad habits.  some things we do are self inflicted anxiety.

Attack your bills or things that bother you- be proactive to rid yourself ot the worrisome things.
I have had PVC's for over 25 years and I wish this forum was around back then.  I have gone through the tests, emergency room visits, and fear that most of you are expressing.  Stress and lack of sleep have always been triggers but I had not considered diet until recently.  I now believe salt is a trigger for me.  I try to avoid salty foods but if I eat too much I drink lots of water.

Things that have helped me are biofeedback, tai chi and yoga.  I have been practicing yoga for 5 years and will never give it up.  It helps you focus on breathing and movement.  Certain practices have breathing exercises which help keep you calm and focused.  This is very helpful for anxiety and panic disorders, even if the anxiety is only over the PVC's.  As with anything else the more you practice, the better you get, and the more benefits you will receive from your practice.
I got them from eating Domino's Pizza one night.  which I thought was so stupid because I had just had Pasquale's Pizza the night before.  I also can't eat raw spinach, they cause mine bad!!!
Goohttp://www.medhelp.org/posts/new/287426#d luck!
It's definitely the food additive Sulphur Dioxide that causes my PVC's and if it wasn't for this thread I'd have never known. It's also spot on that
Cardiologists are not interested in investigating food allergies in relation to the cause of cardiac arrhythmia's. Sulphur Dioxide is found in a wide range of  processed foods so it's a good idea  to check every food label for additives. The highest levels are found in lemon/ lime cordials, dried fruits, wine and condiments. Basically I now  avoid everything containing listed ingredients in the range 220-228, and this seems to work for me. The caffeine in coffee and chocolate do not have an effect on my cardiac rhythm and I have also found certain white wines that are fine also.
Good luck everyone.    
Yes, pizza dough contains sulphur dioxide, particularly the highly processed chain store pizza as you mentioned.  I stopped eating processed pizza a while ago as I noticed severe arrhythmia start almost immediately after eating them.
Try restaurants that use fresh ingredients.
I have been experiencing pvc's for the past few years and thought nothing about it until I started doing some research on this issue. I first discovered that pvc's are caused around the holidays or when celebrating and drinking alcohol called 'Holiday Heart' not to mention holiday's, stress, family, & anxiety during those times that would trigger the pvc's. After I brought it up with my physician and he ran an ECG & metabolic panel on me, it was determined that I definitely had low potassium and that eating a banana wasn't going to solve the issue. I now take a daily prescription potassium pill and it has helped control the pvc's. Unfortunately, I have absolutely concluded that sulphur dioxide, sulfates, & alcohol are the causes of pvc's with me. Four months ago, I stopped eating foods with refined sugars, white breads & pastas, processed foods, fast (fat) foods, & fried foods and dropped 20 pounds in 3 months. Even with the lifestyle change, I have had my share of cocktails and certain cheeses (which contain sulphar dioxide) and have had pvc's. The bottom line is that I stay away from alcohol and avoid cheese as much as possible and the pvc's have gone away. Eating a bananas regularly regulates the electrical impulses in the heart as well. Best of luck fellow pvc'ers.