Heart Rhythm Community
Flying after an ablation??

This patient support community is for discussions relating to heart rhythm issues, arrhythmia, irregular heartbeat, implanted defibrillators, pacemakers, and tachycardia.

Flying after an ablation??

Hi Everyone - I'm scheduled to have a catheter ablation for AVNRT on October 6th - I'm already worried about that whole procedure...and now I find out that I have to fly on October 12th for work.  Was wondering if anyone knew if that's OK/safe to do?  Flying less than a week after an ablation is performed?  (Keeping in mind that flying stresses me out a bit).   I asked my Dr and he said, "yeah - shouldn't be a problem."  Which wasn't very comforting.   Any thoughts, advice, anything - appreciated!  Thanks everyone!!!

Michele
If your doctor gave you the OK then that's the most important opinion. Except for weight lifting restrictions, I had no limits on what I could do after my ablations. I felt a bit tired for a few days and had tender spots in the groin area from bruising. Other than that, I went back to normal daily routine.

See what the doctor says after the ablation just in case he ran into any little extra things while in there. Also ask if you need to take aspirin for awhile. I found out a month later they wanted me to take aspirin and I didn't know that at all. Oops.
I agree with Ireno. The only restriction I had was weight restriction so you might have to be careful if your suitcase is heavy.  I had an ablation done on Aug. 4th  for AVNRT and it went very well.  The only thing I had afterwards was fatigue for about 2 weeks and some right groin bruising.  If your Dr. gave his o.k., I'm sure it will be fin to travel.  Before you're discharged, ask him again just to be sure.

If you have any questions about the ablation procedure, just let me know.  I'll be happy to help you any way that I can.

Betty
Hi Michelle, the main recovery issue with an ablation is the groin healing.  As long as you don't overdo it by lifting heavy objects you should heal quickly and pain free.  You'll get some bruising, and it will feel tender for a couple of days but that's about it.

I have had three ablations since June and have been back at the gym within 10 days each time.  The first week back I do light cardio only on an elliptical and then the following week I go back to doing resistance training.  I have never had an issue with the groin healing, and to tell the truth, I haven't exactly followed the lifting restrictions.  I have four year old twins who weigh between 35-40lbs and I usually end up picking them on the day after the ablation.  As long as I keep most of the weight on my left leg, I can manage to lift things I shouldn't.

Having gone through the procedure a few times it would be easy for me to tell you not to worry too much about it, but I understand that you're apprehensive just like I was the first time around.  It's not a terribly pleasant experience, but the recovery is easier than you think.  A couple of tips:  If they allow you to walk into the OR, do it (ask them if you can).  Anything you can do to move your legs before the procedure is a plus because once it starts, you'll be stuck on your back in the same position for a few hours.  You can count on spending up to an hour lying on the guerney in pre-op.  Also, immediately after the procedure you'll have a minimum of four hours where you won't be able to sit up or bend your leg(s) depending on if they go up one leg or both.  In my case, they went in one leg but had to use the large sheath so I was stuck on my back for six hours after the procedures which took 4-5 hours each.  I find it rather uncomfortable lying on my back for that length of time.  Unfortunately, because of my arrythmia (VT) and the difficulty I have being induced into it, I have had all of my ablations without any sedation or pain meds except the numbing of the leg.  If you can take meds without compromising the procedure, I highly recommend it.  Aside from the pressure on the groin, my lower back and especially my shoulders tighten up after a couple of hours on my back in the same position.  Also, if you can urinate before the procedure do it, it's no fun doin' ole number one on the table with the nurse holding the urinal.  Don't be afraid to ask them to numb your groin again during the procedure if you're uncomfortable, especially if they end up changing the sheath during the procedure.  Depending on which side of your heart they go into, they may go up the vein, artery or both.  If it's a straight vein up the right side, they can use a small sheath which is nice, unless they have to switch to a larger one half way through. During my last ablation (on Thursday) I told them just to go with the big sheath because I didn't want to have them change the sheath halfway through like they did during my last ablation.  Turns out I made the right choice.

If you have any other questions about the procedure, let me know.
Hi Michele - I had an ablation done for AVNRT on August 29th.  I flew to San Francisco to have the procedure done.  I had the procedure done on a Friday, I flew home Sunday and then I flew to the east coast the next Wednesday.  I would consult your cardiologist of course, but it was no problem for me.  Just keep yourself rested and don't lift anything heavy.  Just relax - You'll be fine!

Best of luck,  Rob
I was told no lifting over 10 lbs. or stairs  for one week, I was tired, and now 6 weeks later I'd say I am at 95%.  There are times when I walk that my heart amps up, I wear a fitness heart monitor (my choice) and comfort level.  I was also told no caffeine, no alcohol, and the least amount of stress would be the best plan.  If flying stresses you, you may want to think about it.  Remember, after the procedure the tissue does have to heal that has been burnt by the cautherization.  I was told 3 months to fully heal/scar. If you do rest yourself following the ablation, it is the best thing you can do.  You'll do great, just take care of yourself.  
Hi Everyone!  Just wanted to post a great big THANK YOU!!!!  :))

Thank you for your advice, suggestions, and information!  I've obtained more information from all your posts then I have from my Drs office - go figure!  Again, THANK YOU! :)

I'll stick to my 10/06 ablation - and I'll try not to think about it until AFTER its been done :)  

Thanks again,
Michele
Hi my husband flew 1 hour on a medical plane  for his ablation stayed 1 night after ablation and flew home again on a commercial flight no probs.
Donna