Heart Rhythm Community
Heart Arrhythmia ( PVCs ) please Help ! :(

This patient support community is for discussions relating to heart rhythm issues, arrhythmia, irregular heartbeat, implanted defibrillators, pacemakers, and tachycardia.

Hello  I'm a 21 year old guy and I've been having heart palpitations ( PVCs more than 12 000 a day ) for the past four months . They have ruined everything in my life and I don't know what to do anymore !! doctors been telling how anxiety, stress  and caffeine and all the other stuff can cause them and it's okay to have them.  you just gotta have to ignore , that is soooo crazy !! because no matter how hard I try I can't ignore them :((  I feel everyone of these extra , skipped beats in my chest and they drive me crazy especially at night when I try to sleep .the head of my bed would start shaking from these extremely forceful beats and I get these fluttering feeling in my chest all the time . cant count the number of times I've been to the hospitals in the last four months !   but they usually send me back home saying it's probably the anxiety attack and my arrhythmia is benign , go home and rest don't think about it ! I mean Seriously  ??  i hate when they say that ! I feel so scared and I don't know where to go .
I didn't even know what the anxiety was ,   I was happy with my life , I used to go to the gym 4 - 5 times a day and I was in a great shape , not drinking or smoking never have , eating extremely healthy diet , why would I get these very frequent PVCs every day  ?  they are not able to tell me why ? there seems to be no reason  , all the tests came back normal , hormones and stuff . if it was from my anxiety can they last for this long  ?  4 months  ? will they ever go away  ? I wanna get my life back that happiness I had in me . please someone help , I don't wanna be scared like a baby but they freak me out . I know my heart isn't suppose to work like this . its not okay !!  how can they benign  ? I also take anti anxiety drugs Xanax 0.25mg at night but it's not helping me at all . please if there's someone out there help me to understand this .please :(
I'm going to tell you what I told myself to help me get past my fear of PVC. You had all the important cardiac tests. They were all fine. Numerous doctors have told you PVC are harmless in a healthy heart. You need to believe them. If you let yourself live in fear of any kind every single day you will miss the great times you should be having. Especially as such a young person. You can't let this take one more minute of your life that you can never get back. Like the old saying goes, you could walk into the street tomorrow, get hit by a bus and die. Anything can happen to us at any time. You have to enjoy every day as best you can and don't let these things ruin your life. Maybe you should talk to a doc about this heat anxiety. I did and it helped a lot.
That seems like a lot, have you seen a cardiologist?  I just recently had a 48 hour holter monitor and I had 6,000 in 48 hours.  The weird thing for me was that I only had one event I could feel during that 48 hour period and some days I have dozens.  I have been doing research on catheter ablation therapy for PVCs, from what I have read it is usually around 80% effective.  Here is a link to a medical journal about a 35 year old male that was having 35,000 a day:  http://europace.oxfordjournals.org/content/9/9/781.full
I would seek out another physician IMHO
sorry your going threw that.

yes lots have them that many a day and lots have them a lot more than that many a day .

I have had that many a day and they are no fun, but remember they will not hurt you. or your heart

have you had a stress test , a echo of the heart done?

I know its hard to believe that they are not harmful but they are not.

I have lived with them for years and mine come on for no reason and stay for hours on hours.

went hospital and they hook me up said oh just pacs , go home your fine

did they tell you what yours were ?
being stressed over them makes them so much worse. but I know its hard to relax with your heart going crazy.. and I have lots many nites sleep when mine start. no matter how long you have had them each time is scary

are you going to a cardio dr for them? they can give you meds to slow them down, you can get a ep study and they might can go in and stop them. many things to do but got to go to a cardio Dr.   plz keep in touch and try not to let them drive you crazy . and yes they should calm down .
Take it from someone who has been going through this for three decades. Mine started in my twenties and I'm in my fifties now. They are scary. They are annoying and bothersome but they won't kill you. At one point I had 20k a day. I also have SVT which I think is a lot scarier. If you were checked out in the hospital and they said your heart is fine then trust the docs. As others have mentioned there are meds that help with the amount and how much you feel them. Have your doc put you on a thirty day monitor so they can see how your patterns run and maybe put you on a beta blocker and try to stay calm as difficult as that may be.
Hi guys thanks very much for the respond ! It feels really good to know I'm not alone .;(
Yes I was refereed to a cardiologist and he did all those test ( echo and stress ) and my heart was fine , but Holter shower very frequent PVCs , when I had that monitor on me I was kinda okay that night and still I had that many  so I don't know how many I get when my symptoms are worse .  
I have been reading a lot on the internet and I understand that we all get pvcs and they aren't big deal but why do they stay 24 / 7 and it's been so long now 4 months ? Will they ever give me a break ? ;((  fluttering in my chest is the scariest thing I have ever experienced in my life , it's like the end , you think you gonna die any minute , I read something about cardiac arrest and I couldn't sleep that night . My family doesn't understand me they don't know what it feels like , at first my mom didn't believe that my bed was shaking from this and one night she saw it and she couldn't understand why was my heartbeat  that strong , now they know I'm not making this up . It's really happening , I also hear every beat of my heart in my ears and this sooooo annoying I feel it and I hear it the pause and the string best and the pause again I don't want to hear it ;( I often use headphone listening something while trying to sleep .   Guys is there something I can do ? Please there has to be something to get rid of this ? ;( how cam I enjoy my life when I feel I'm dying ? I've been sitting in my room all days doing nothing but feeling sorry for myself asking why would I get this ? Most of my friends drink and smoke do drugs and they're fine :/ how's that fair ,,I hate when they don't tell u the reason , it's like there's no reason for them but you have it and that's it . My dad's from Europe Georgia and he said he knew something there really well known and respected doctor cardiologist and he has his own hospital , my dad called him and he said I have to be there and he might be able to help , I'm thinking to travel there if they can cure me . Docs here  have no idea what's cause my irregular heart beats and they ain't interested to find out . ;((
Thanks for your reply , yeah like I said I have those tests and my heart is normal , but I get very frequent PVCs , irregular beats , ectopic beats , and that's why I'm  worried , if I had just few I wouldn't be bothered but I deal with thousands a day ;(( I have a fear of dying , my heart giving up on this extra beats cuz I get so many , I read about cardiac arrest and things like that and it gives me chills , it freaks me our so bad that I start shaking , I don't want to read things like that anymore but I can't help it ,I'm trying to find something to get rid of them , blood test showed nothing , calcium , mag , potassium levels were fine , no hormonal imbalance and no thyroid problems .
hi , so sorry they are still going .

yes I get them for hours on hours last time I had them 10 hours straight every other heart beat was a flutter , and it just don't seem normal

scares me to , I lay there thinking this is it but ive had flutters since I was 19 now 55 so they have not killed me yet even though that don't help my nerves when they come

if you have had 4 months straight all day than you can rest that its not something that wil kill you, if it was you would be gone by now

cardic arrest will not happen with pvc/pac, its just a extra beat being threw in there
  what ids you heart rate . is it fast or normal. do you have a bp machine at home that you can check that ?

if all your test have come back heart is good than your fine , its just so darn scary and yes your young and need to be living your life.

try and get on a anxiety med that stays in your body that might help like klonopin, when mine was going crazy it helped me to settle down and get back on my feet and back to life
My heart rate is normal , ( 64 - 80 ) it can get fast if I let anxiety take over me I just had my dinner meal now and my PVCs are so much worse ;(( I almost passed out a minute ago , food seems to aggravate them ;(
yeah your heart rate is good ,

try to eat smaller meals , eating a big meal can make them worse

Sometimes PVC PAC can be felt more after eating especially after a large meal because your stomach can be pressing against your vagus nerve. This is just another annoying post of the whole thing. You may want to check into managing your anxiety. And ask your doc about those beta blockers you may benefit from those since you have so many. Hang in there! Keep reading others posts and you will see how many of us suffer with these pain in the neck things, and some with many more than you even!
Thank you Elli ;) I'm really trying to calm down now after reading these posts , I'm be meeting another cardiologist in 10 days and I'll let you guys know how things will go. Im traveling far away to meet this doc ;))
Can anyone tell me if I should take calcium and vitamin d together ? Would they help with my pvcs ? Thanks
I've been having PVC's & PAC's for about 20 years. Two years ago they started getting real bad like every other two or three beats with some couplets thrown in. They can last this bad for hours. I was use to the random beats, but this many scared me. Anxiety about them will make them worse. I have found that when I start feeling alot of skipping, the best thing I can do is get my mind on something else. I just had all the tests & there has been no change in my heart function, so these crazy beats do not harm your heart.
Some people find that taking extra magnesium helps. Good luck with your appt. & let us know how it goes.
Hope you figure out how to get them under control soon. I'm 21 also and started having those same feelings about a year ago. I've been to the hospital plenty of times, just last week also. Results are always normal, besides the holter monitor showing pauses in my heart beat. No helpful advice yet but I see my cardiologist next week and hopefully will have some then. I was also told its most likely anxiety, which *****, because it's so hard to control. I read that certain breathing techniques and possibly yoga can help. Good luck !
Hey guys I just came back from ER it's 2 a.m   , ECG showed PVCs and had chest pain all day . They told me the same thing as always but one doc freaked me out ! I can't stop thinking about what he said . He told me pvcs could form blood clots ?? Please someone tell me is that true ? ;((((
Sam thank you , I hope we all get rid of these scary beats soon .
No pvcs do nt caus blood clots

Afib can throw a cloth, if your not on meds for thinning the blood but not sure how common that is

So don't even worry about what that dr Sid ve do acs for 30 years same s pvcs and know lots on here that have pcs and they never got blood clots from them
I second what Heartflutters said. I've had them for like thirty years and no one has ever said that too me, plus I've worked for a cardiologist for years. Never heard such a thing.
Hi Elli  and Heartflutters Thank you guys for posting , your comments always make me feel better and thanks for much for that !!!
I wish that doc had never said that to me , he scared me  , I actually  didn't know anything about blood clots and stroke before , always been told that PVCs won't hurt me , I dont want to think about heaving a stroke ,  I'm feeling tense all the time , I can't  seem to get these things out of my head ,  i hve had some pain and discomfort the last two days , it comes and goes , i dont know if its my heart / good news is that there was no PVCs on my ECG last night , this is the first time seeing no PVCs on ECG/
I wish there was more people like you in my life , things would be so much easier , thanks for your comments , now someone told me that it could lead to heart aneurysm , they just like to scare me like that . :((((
I don't know why my last post ended up higher on the list but let me add...You gotta stop listening to people telling you scary things! Listen to the doctors, the professionals! Not people who are just trying to scare you.
No they do not, only thing they do is drive you crazy, make you feel bad

Don't listen to anyone trying to scare you, you have to believe in your drs , if you don't you will always live in fear and your life will pass you by

As far as your Er visit that should a sure you again your hearts ok

You are certainly not alone with your worries about this.  So many, many people post on this forum with the very same symptoms and concerns you have, and unfortunately, there are no easy answers.

The truth is that no one really knows the cause of benign ectopic beats in a young, healthy heart like yours.  And since the cause or causes are not known, no 'cure' is known, either.

What is understood is that everyone has these weird heart beats--but not everyone is aware of them.  Those who are often wind up on this board, looking for advice.

I will give you the advice that I received from my own doc:  After a lot of testing, you simply HAVE to learn to believe that you are not in any physical danger from these things.

The real problem is hyper-awareness and fear of them, and then anticipatory fear of the fear.  That is not a cardiologist's field.  So, what professional do you see about fear?  You see a shrink to learn to deal with chronic anxiety and with bouts of outright panic.

A good shrink is a person with medical training who can help you understand what is going on when you have PVCs or whatever, and who can give you tools for dealing with your dread of the sensations you perceive.  Usually, what will be offered is a kind of thought-training called cognitive-behavioral therapy, plus a better, more long-term kind of medical therapy that employs meds called SSRIs or 'Selective Serotonin Receptor Inhibitors.'  These are drugs that will gradually quiet down what my shrink calls 'your internal car alarm.'  This is a good thing, believe me, because anxiety makes PVCs much, much more frequent.

Under the new national health care system, you should find at least basic, affordable medical care for people your age.  If you truly cannot afford to pay for this, there is a wonderful little paperback called 'Help and Hope For Your Nerves,' by Dr. Claire Weekes, which discusses what you have been feeling AND provides some simple mental exercises to help you calm yourself down.

Do consider buying this little book.  It will at least give you a handle on what you have been experiencing.
I haven't seen anyone for my anxiety yet but I take  Xanax  0.25 mg at night . I wish I could just get over the fear of dying and get my life back . You guys have haloed me so much !!! So thank you . I'll be the book and I'll see someone for anxiety .
So are you still having the paps, have they went away yet
I still get them but maybe one or two in a minute , they get worse when I lay down so they're still there ;(
Yoga meditation , sleepy sounds , bananas and magnesium has helped me  a lot . ;) I wanted to keep taking magnesium but my doc said I could only take it for 10 days?
I also wanted to start with calcium supplements but I'm not sure  if they are any help with PVCs   , calcium magnesium potassium levels were normal in my blood test  , so I don't know why would taking more magnesium reduced my PVCs ...  My blood pressure has changed from 129 / 72 to 140  / 60  sometimes ( 135 / 59 )  I think beta blocker has decreased my heart rate but I don't wanna go below 60 , and systolic reading 135 - 140 is high .
good that they are slowing down maybe they are going to poof and be gone thats how mine do

why did dr say just take it 10 days?  what kind are you taking

I know lots that take it everyday.

not sure about the Calcium is that suppose to stop them to?

yes your Blood pressure is good no worries on that. mine hangs around thoses numbers to and when I have anxiety its much higher, heart beat around 54-70

hope you have a calm quite day with them. mine have been gone now for a week but I feel like they will be back soon lol. waiting

talk soon
I take magnesium citrate 400 mg . Pvcs came back this morning on every other beat and I can hear them  in my ears , how's it for you  ? Can you hear your irregular heartbeat in your ears ?
I'm not sure why my doc said that about magnesium but I'll ask him , I have an appointment with  neurologist  on13 th  february and Psychologist on 14 th , I'll Also meet a new cardiologist in a week .
Hi Lucas! Yes I sometimes hear mine in my ears too. Just another thing that makes you more aware of them. I've been getting a lot this week too mostly because I've been behaving badly again. Eating too much at one sitting, not sleeping enough and I had a big chocolate latte! All no nos. Lol so I have to learn to control myself!! Staying away from your personal triggers helps a lot. Let us know what your new docs say too.
wish I knew my triggers , cant pin point them and I to am 54 and had since I was 20.

nothing seems to be the same when they come,
I ve not had one flutter since feb 1st bu I feel like I can lol

but when they come they are hours and hours straight and every other beat

don't like that lol .
Hi guys ambulance just left my house ;(( I was watching tv with my mom and all of a sudden I felt extremely dizzy and I knew something was wrong with me , my mom checked my pulse and it was 47 a minute , i tried walking out in my yard getting fresh air but that didn't help than my whole my started shaking ' my jaw legs and hands couldn't stop them from shaking , I got pale and I nearly passed out , my mom started crying and called the ambulance ,when they got here my heart rate was 80 probably because of my anxiety , 1o minutes later it was 120 / 61 . Had another ECG looked okay . They asked me if I wanted to spend the night in hospital and I decided to home :/ of course they didn't know what. Caused my weak pulse that made my dizzy and I don't think they believed I had 47 either , pulse changed before they got here .. I don't know what to think ;( can this be the sign of cardiomyopathy ?
Didn't you say in a previous post that you had an echocardiogram done? If you did it would have shown something like a cardiomyopathy. I'm thinking your anxiety is getting the best of you...you had all the heart tests done right?
Yes I had that done but that was three months ago ? ;/
Echoes are good for much longer. I don't think you can develop cardiomyopathy in that short of a time unless you were sick at some point. You also had a stress test which was good. Your Echo and ekgs have all been fine. You are young you haven't had any serious virus or anything why do you think you have a heart condition now?
Wow sorry that your going threw all of this

I to think it could be anxiety, I say that because I have anxiety, now when I feel a little flutter I can feel my body starting with anxiety.

I get it back under control before I end up like you in hospital,p

You really need to talk to someone and get on a good anxiety med,

Stress can cause you lots problems so you need try and pull it together, your mom is going have heart problems stressing over you.

Try and think when it starts that your fine and it always ends up like tonight where your fine

Once you see the cardio dr your going to see you need to believe him, so that you can get on with your life your so young and have a lot of living to do
Hi everyone I'm in Georgia now , had all the test again , they were normal . but what worries me so much is that holter monitor showed , VTachycardia  2 , couplet 35 , Triplet  3 , PVC 13 556  . Echo was fine ,  Guys please help me , I'm just scared to death , I have never had Vtachycardia , please :((((
Wow your in my state, what city you in and what dr did you s

I would not worry about the triples, it's ok as long as dr saw it and says your ok

I to have them like that and they tell me go home your fine,

Try calm down, and know if they though anything was bad they would of told you, your ok
Hey how are you guys ? Sorry that  I have not been posting for a long time I'm not in the state , I'm  in the country  Georgia , my dad is from there and I have traveled that far for my PVCs .  I've met 5 cardiologists in one week and they all say different thing , no heart diseases , structurally healthy heart but no one can say if my PVCs ever go away or why do I get them everyday , Holter showed 13 556 more than I had three months ago , Xanax and Nebilet ( beta blocker )  did nothing  . Now one doc told me to take Amoidarone which has many side effects and I have already take 8 tablets 200 mg . I stopped today cuz I got a call from another cardiologist say I have idiopathic PVCs and we do not need to bomb my heart with strongest antiarrytthmetic drugs , he told me to take Isoptin  Verapamil 240 mg once a day for one months and he said we would have to have holter again to see if this drug is working . Neurologist put me on psychotropic anti depression drugs Cipralex and Clonazepam , i am just confused and don't know what to do , another cardiologist told me to leave this alone and he said if you were my son I wouldn't let you take these drugs at this age , he also said something about sex hormones how can they cause this and I don't know if I should get that test done . Guys I want to know what you think ? I can't make this decision I have stopped taking Amiodarone .
Lucas, you have had repeated (!!) testing that shows your heart is young and healthy.  Yes, you have lots of PVCs, but not enough to be considered serious (20,000 per day is the point at which doctors start to pay attention), and the other small bursts of strange beats are isolated and of no medical significance.

You have been trying some anti arrhythmic drugs, which in your case are unnecessary, since your PVCs are all benign.  In addition there is the fact--which you can google--that anti-arrhythmics can cause more harm than good when used on healthy hearts.

I think the doc who gave you Cipralex (Lexapro) and Klonazepam is on the right track, because your biggest problem is anxiety about your heart.  And of course, anxiety increases the amount of adrenalin in your system, which further irritates your heart.  Your near-fainting episode of Feb 9 was almost certainly a 'vaso-vagal faint' (google it), the result of fear.  Vagal stimulation causes the heart to beat slowly for a while, but it is self-correcting, as you saw.

So, what to do?  As I told you in an earlier post, it is important to see the right doctor for the symptoms.  You are tormented by anxiety and panic, and the correct doctor for these problems is a psychiatrist.  BTW, I personally found Lexapro to be not very calming.  Zoloft was better for me, and you might want to ask the shrink you will be seeing soon (am I right?) about that.
I second Achillea. Five cardiologists in one week!!! Stick with your shrink. I was extremely panicked too when all this first started. Doctor after doctor have said you're ok. It's time to start really treating the panic. That's what I had to do. Aside from the drugs, I found that talk therapy helped me a lot too. Hang in there!
Hi everyone ,  I'm still in Georgia , had met another doc this week , and we just found out that  I have had this when I was 17  , i called the hospital in USA and they sent me the copy of my Holter four years ago , I knew that had met the cardiologist back then but I didn't remember why now i know , this has changed everything , my PVCs have started when I was a teen , and now they came back fours years later or maybe I have had them but I didn't know , 6 cardiologists have told me I'd be fine but I still can't get this out of my head especially now after what I just found out .
my only question is if everything is perfectly fine with my heart why would I get this for so many years , maybe I was born with PVCs  ? I don't what to think .....................
.25 of xanax is nothing. Up the dosage or take klonopin 1 mg.  benzos are addictive and their addictive qualities should not be underestimated. However, if you have palps and a healthy heart, it's almost certainly anxiety and stress that are causing the palps. An ample dose of a benzo can give a palp suffer some much needed relief. .25 of xanax is a joke of a dose and would likely help if your doc would increase it.
One again I have to agree with previous posters. You may need to up your Xanex dose. Treat the anxiety and the palps will lessen our at least not bother you as much. You've had them since 17 and they haven't killed you! Lol. They haven't killed any of us no matter how long we've had them. Keeping a healthy heart lifestyle is key, something I've been neglecting and have to get on the stick about.
"...my only question is if everything is perfectly fine with my heart why would I get this for so many years"

Lucas, there is no answer to the 'why.'  Everyone gets PVCs, and most people with them have perfectly healthy hearts.  A benign PVC is kind of a hiccup of the heart.  In your case, it means nothing--NOTHING--dangerous or bad.

You have to learn how to live with them, and that is what a psychiatrist is for, but for some reason, you seem to be avoiding that kind of help.

Hi thanks for your comment , I've met the psychiatrist today and we'll meet this week again , she told me that I'm one of those people who worry about everything in life , she said she could help me but It'd take some time until I feel better. , so I'm gonna follow her plan. ,
The other thin i wanted to ask here , what's incomplete bundle branch block ? Is that normal ?
First, congratulations on meeting with a psychiatrist and accepting her plan for you!  Your life is going to get better now.

Second, yikes, please don't say that you think you have incomplete bundle branch block, too!!

Here is what it is:  There is a kind of two-branch wiring system that conducts the heartbeat from its source in the 'Pacemaker'  down to the ventricles.  Sometimes, there's a flaw in the wiring that slows or interrupts the current.  In people with diseased hearts, that can obviously be significant, because you want both ventricles to contract at the same time, with the same strength.

However, in a child or a young person like you, with a heart that has been SO very often tested and found to be healthy, incomplete bundle branch block is considered benign.

Do not worry about IBBB anymore.  Or anything heart-related.  You are OK in the chest.  It's the area between the ears that needs attention--and that is what your shrink is going to take care of.