Heart Rhythm Community
Increased PVC's the fitter I get

This patient support community is for discussions relating to heart rhythm issues, arrhythmia, irregular heartbeat, implanted defibrillators, pacemakers, and tachycardia.

Increased PVC's the fitter I get

I am a 25 year old female, I don't smoke, am a healthy weight, and eat well. Last year I started getting frequent palpitations (PVC's I think) I was put on a 24 hour monitor and had an echo. The 24 hour monitor showed PVC's and a wandering atrial pacemaker, which are of no significance, the echo came back clear. Due to the palpitations I stopped exercising for about a year. Slowly, over the course of the year the palpitations subsided then a few months ago I started exercising again, and the palpitations came back, I now have them everyday, they don't bother me as much anymore. However, I would like to know if anyone else experiences the same thing, the fitter you get the more palpitations you get? Is this a normal bodily response to exercise?

They do not seem to happen during exercise or on the cool down from exercise, just randomly. Although, they have occurred a couple of times during exercise, but generally it is a very random thing.

Yes I've had the same thing happen to me. I can't rule out if exercising or having a baby made it worse. I didn't notice changes until 3 months after I had my daughter I started hitting the gym. Then out of nowhere I developed SVT and my pvcs have tripled. But I use to exercise 5-6 days a week for at least 1 1/2 each day and sometimes go twice a day. So I really think I was over doing it
I am not an exercise person, but I got my worse pvcs after eating raw spinach in a salad and also in the glowing green smoothie.  If you eat that, you might try avoiding it for a while and see if they get better.
I have had afib for about 10 years now.  I used to run a lot, 10 - 15 miles a week.  I started to get pac's while running that would go away as I ran.  Once in a while they would force me to stop running.  Now my running is down to maybe 5 miles a week in the summer.  Very often while running pac's will quickly bring on afib and that is the end of my run.  With me, the trigger of the pac's is my vagus nerve.  The jiggling of my stomach will stimulate the nerve which then sends strong pulses to my heart which throws off my normal rhythm,. My doctor tells me that I have very high vagal tone which make the nerve very sensitive.  Eating can also start an episode of afib.  Not sure if your pac's are triggered by the same source, but it is something to consider.  I had an ablation last fall which has thus far shown inconsistent results.  I may see a neurologist about controlling the sensitivity of the vagus nerve.
Thanks guys. Robb S, funny you mention that as I have experienced heart rates of 180 after eating a meal, although it hasn't happened in the past month or so. I have often thought it is my vagus nerve acting up. A wandering atrial pacemaker is caused by increase in vagal tone as well, so maybe. I also get pvc's if i yawn or bend over. Thanks, nice to hear, in a way, ha.
I have had PAC's and afib induced not from a yawn but from stretching.  I have given up playing golf regularly because of the bending over and the stress on the abdominal area during a swing.  What seems to really bother me is shoveling snow.  The contraction of the abs set off the vagus nerve.  There has to be a 'pinch point' somewhere on the nerve.  But even if so, I do have high vagal tone with symptoms of bradycardia (pulse rate in the low 50's), low body temperature (usually under 98.0) and recently now, low blood pressure.  The high vagal tone do doubt makes me more susceptible to PAC's.
Wow so sorry Rob, I have pacs to every time they have recorded them they are pacs, had since 20 now 54 , never have I had a fib that I know of, is a fib a really fast heart beat?  My heart beat is in the 60-70 when my pacs are acting up,   I am getting them now for hours at a time, any where from 6-10 hours and sometimes every other beat is a flutter, went to my Dr yesterday to get answers, she said EKG same as in last 14 years, that my pacs are not a fib and would be rare to become afib ,   How can she say that if yours are, have you always had afib.?

Now a little worried about afib,      I think my pacs have a lot to do with the vagus nerve to, I get lots of air in my chest and burp a lot with my pacs do you?

Hope your having a PAC free day.
Plus I have acid reflux , do you they say that makes them worse?
I find it suprising that your doctor said that you pac's would be rare to develop into afib.  From what I know, there are 2 requirements for afib to occur.  One is that there needs to be a trigger, like an over-active vagus nerve or a structural problem in the heart.  The second is that the heart tissue must be susceptible to recirculation of the electrical signals coming from the SA node (the pacemaker of the heart).  As I have aged my pac's started to trigger afib.  Apparently the characteristics of my heart tissue has changed over the years such that the electrical currents can now recirculate to cause fibrillation.  I'm not informed enough to answer why it takes a pac to trigger afib and why normal rhythm doesn't just break into afib.  In afib the atria are pumping at a very high frequency, about 300 bpm.  The ventricles can't keep up at that rate and fire at a fraction of 300, for me usually around 100bpm when I am in afib.  I don't feel the bubble in my chest that you describe, but a lot of people do.  Reflux also make pac's more frequent for me.  I have stopped drinking coffee, eating chocolate, etc.  Hope this info helps you.
Yeah, they say my heart is by echo structure good, and last time in hospital said nothing but pacs

But I am 54 and who knows as I get older what will happen, my beat never gets over 70 even when having massive PAC

So should I worry about afib now lol
I've also always been on a BB since I started having them so keep my bp low and heart beats low, I take timolol for years , she's now switching to its sister drug pin dolor, says about the same a little stronger, trying slow the PAC, but we all know they can still come, going to stop the 2-10 hours they are wanting to stay now,

Have you heard of that med it's old like my other one lol
wow feel the again they just wont leave me alonand belching with them whats up with them
I haven't heard of your new BB, but have heard of Timolol.  I had some success with Sotalol, another BB, however it made me very tired and I found that I needed to take more and more as time went on.  I am currently on a BB called Metoprolol which is supposed to help the anti-arrhythmic Tikosyn more effective.  I would say that in general BB's do help somewhat in ending my afib episodes, but they are not the cure-all.  If you read the other messages in this forum you will find that many people have long runs of pac's like you are having.  They are really annoying but not life threatening.  I would really try to minimize your reflux and maybe eat smaller meals more often.  Stay away from spices and caffeine and things that seem to set off reflux.  You might try raising the head of your bed so that stomach acid doesn't go up into your esophagus at night.  I am having a small bout of reflux today and went back to taking an Omeprazole.  Hope this helps.
Thanks Robb, you have been so kind to talk to me and help me work threw this bad time,

I do not take any caffeine ,been off it for years,try not to over eat or eat spicey but they just seem to still come

I have acid reflux take proslec every morning to try hold it don't, now eating tums to try help it, my stomach upset from all of this anxiety from paps last 3 months, so I am sure the anxiety is not helping me keep paps away

I have never had trigger points that I could tell,when I have been in my worst anxiety ,I didn't have flutters, so not sure if anxiety brings my pacs on

Never been able to find out why I get them, can be in a great mood,enjoying life and they hit me?

Lost with them, have had them a long time but never this bad, this many hours in a row and that many flutters , like every other heart beat,
Glad I went one time and had them watch and record them a few months ago, said just pacs nothing elsa, now are they that everytime they come I pray so

Thank you again, hope you have a great day, I am going to get up and live my day as always, going to clean a house and hope my flutters stay away