Heart Rhythm Community
I've been having heart palpitations, chest pain, and pain in my le...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to heart rhythm issues, arrhythmia, irregular heartbeat, implanted defibrillators, pacemakers, and tachycardia.

I've been having heart palpitations, chest pain, and pain in my left side.

I've been having heart palpitations since the age of 16. My heart is healthy, I've had an e.p study a few months ago. My doctor claimed my heart is healthy, and that my heart isn't what's causing the palpitations. I was in the e.r about six months ago because my heart rate had escalated to 160 beats a minute, and it was painful, and upsetting. The doctor at the e.r gave me atenolol 25mg. At the time, I couldn't sleep because of the heart palpitations. I get an adrenaline rush as I'm trying to fall asleep that keeps me awake. My heart likes to race, pound and skip beats. It feels weak, and stressed. It seemed to help my heart palpitations for a little while. They've come back and now I have problems sleeping because of it. It hurts so much. I have chest pain, and tightness, and I can feel my heart beating constantly no matter what position I lay in. It feels awful. I also have dizziness sometimes. But I also have problems with my eyes where they feel as if they're not adjusted to light, and feel like someone's pressing their fingers against the sides of my eyeballs. Looking around makes me feel disoriented. Especially in wide open areas. It's not as bad when I'm in a small room. But this affects my balance.

My doctors have no diagnosis. Said they think I have depression, or anxiety. I do have anxiety, however, even though it makes my symptoms worsen, I don't believe that's the cause of all of this. :( Does anybody know what my problems could be coming from? I've had all kinds of blood work, a halter monitor (3 times), I've been hooked up to a heart monitor, etc'.
I also should mention, I'm only 21.
And I also don't exercise. It hurts me to exercise, I feel like I'm gonna pass out. I only weigh 120 pounds, I'm 5'5. I stay on the computer alot, I have tight muscles, etc'.
It sounds like the doctors do not think the issue is coming from the heart.  To be certain have you had your most severe symptoms while on one of the holters?  If yes then they have a pretty clear picture that this is being caused by something outside the heart.  This said, it could be something with the brain.  If you haven't check out the condition dysautonomia.  I believe the test for this is a tilt table test.  If this comes out negative then it very well could be stress related.  Stress anxiety especially can cause chest pain.  I have had an accessory pathway svt that caused my heart to race at more than 230bpm.  It did not hurt even that fast because I grew up with the condition so I didn't know any better to be afraid of it.  I kind of thought it was normal and everyone did it.  This said at times when I am super stressed my heart can hurt so I know the stress alone can make a person's heart hurt.  So I would suggest that you do consider seeking treatment for your anxiety and see if that helps.  Other things I would suggest is to drink a lot of water.  Water helps the heart to function much better as well exercising may help bring up your staminia.  An unconditioned heart will hurt initially when it is pushed but as you get stronger the pain will subside.  Though I would suggest starting slow and build yourself up as you go.  Do not keep pushing if you feel pain just slow down and allow your body to let you know when you are capable of pushing farther.  And drink lots of water when you exercise to help keep you from feeling like you will pass out.  It makes a huge difference for me anyway.   Anyways, I do hope you are able to get to the bottom of this and feel better soon.  Take care and keep us posted on how you are doing.
Thank you for responding to my post, Michelle.
I've actually had the tilt table test done before, but it was about three years ago, and was to check to see if I had low blood pressure like my sibling (she passes out alot). I have low blood pressure though also. I try to drink lots of water as well. But I should probably retake the test just to be certain that's not a problem.
Not to mention, earlier I yawned pretty big, and it felt like my heart palpitated very vigorously. It caused me some pain for a minute. But I don't know if it was anything serious or not. Not sure what can cause that.

I also can put my hand to my heart, and feel it stop beating for seconds at a time sometimes.

But I'll mention this dysautonomia test to my doctor, definitely.