Heart Rhythm Community
Pacemaker - negative after effects

This patient support community is for discussions relating to heart rhythm issues, arrhythmia, irregular heartbeat, implanted defibrillators, pacemakers, and tachycardia.

Pacemaker - negative after effects

I had a pacemaker implanted three weeks ago for sick sinus syndrome.  Since then I am experiencing intermittent periods of heart fluttering, high pulse rate (95-135), shortness of breath, dizziness.  Most of these "spells" only last a second or two (heart rate stays up for awhile though).

My doctor has me wearing an event recorder to try to determine if I have atrial fib.  To date, all of my EKG transmissions have been fine, even tough I'm having these spells.

My question is:  why don't these spells show up on the EKG and if everything is "fine", why am I having these spells.  Doctor just increased my atenelol from 50 mgm. twice daily to 100 mg. in moring and 50 at night.

I basically feel much worse since the pacemaker than I ever did before it.  What gives??  I can't seem to get an answer from my doctor.  He just keeps telling me that "I'm fine".

Thanks for anyone's help.  I'm terribly discouraged and frustrated.
Hello...

I am very sorry to hear about the troubles you are having after pacemaker implant. Have they downloaded the information from your pacemaker? This would be able to give them a clear picture of what has been going on. I would think this would be a more accurate way to see the electrical activity in your heart.

I know how frustrating it is to feel horrible and know that there is something that is just not right, only to be told by your Dr "you're fine." I have gotten to the point, at times, and said well if I was fine, then I wouldn't be sitting here now...would I!

When you say "intermittent" is this every day, every few days?

At this point, all I can say is hang in there...I know that it can be difficult at times, but sometimes we, being at the mercy of our Dr's who are supposed to know best, have no other choice.
Sometime when it paces the ventricle then it looks like palpitations or irregular pulses.  Mine one looks like "Express Train = regular".  Sometime it is like "Metropolitan Train, stops all stations = irregular".  An ER doc told me it also called "pacemaker symptom".  

My cardio keeps telling me nothing wrong.  All in my head...... you're fine...... you're double protected....... what you worry about?

Mine happen while I open my eye at bed.  I get a holter done and catch that episole and ask them to explain why?  Then I wrote to my cardio and insist him to either fix it or turn it off.  End up he reprogrammed something call AV delay.  It didn't fix..... now when the train comes, I'm sweating like just get up from the swimming pool...  Very embrass too.  I get a lot of dizzy spells.  Some day I'm like living inside the space ship and float around.  I think this time I'll need him to turn it off otherwise I won't leave his office.
Hi Brooke -

Thanks so much for your response.  I don't think pacemaker has been downloaded yet, but will definitely ask the doctor about it.

Today is going much better than yesterday.  The increased meds seem to be keeping fluttering at bay.  Now I just have a tightness in the center of my chest sometimes.  I keep telling myself that "I'm fine".

Anything else that you or others care to comment about would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks again.
JR
I got my pacemaker in March and it has been the HIGHLIGHT of 2008.  I know for sure this thing has already saved my life several times.  It gives me such a sense of reassurance.  In the beginning with a new pacer, it can need some tweaking- changing threshholds, amperage, rates.. I think you will be glad you got it.

I guess if you are thinking of having it turned off, you must not be pacer dependant.  Once you adjust to it, you may find like me that they are really a big help.
Yes, I am NOT the pacemaker dependant.  I think I wasn't needed it at the first place.  It has been adjusted various mode and times.  I don't know how would I feel when it turns it off.  May be feeling better, all those problems solved.  May be collaped, may be died?  Then they shouldn't do anything if they didn't have confident at the first place!
Does anyone know if heating with a kerosene heater could have a negative impact on a pacemaker?  When I'm outside in the fresh air my shortness of breath, tight chest, etc. is non existent and when I come inside I begin to feel those symptoms right away.  Needless to say, I've turned off the kerosene heater.

I had a really bad bout today with chest pain, shortness of breath, dizziness, sweating,  blood pressure and pulse all over the charts.  Checked with the event recorder people and they said everything was "normal".  Called my cardiologist and he suggested changing some settings on the pacemaker.  After those three episodes this morning, I've felt fine all day.  Just can't figure this out. I never had any of these symptoms before the pacemaker.  Help???  Any ideas anyone""
my mom had a pacemaker installed two years ago , she was having dizzy spells and actually fainting and it was really scary. she went into the hospital last night because she was feeling dizzzy and having chest tightening but the doctor doesnt know what is happening because everything looks normal on the monitor, if anybody has any advice or info id appreciate it?????