Heart Rhythm Community
Pacemaker May have shifted psition

A community of people experiencing Heart Rhythm concerns. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: symptoms, management, and treatment.

Pacemaker May have shifted psition

I think that my pacemaker may have moved position, it doesn't feel the same as it always has, I mean to the touch. We all are very familiar with how or pacemakers feel to the touch, "I hope I'm explaining this right" but my pacemaker feels as if it has spun or turn on it's side and I am scared craze. Will it unplug or come loose?
How long have you had the pacemaker? My understanding is the heart tissue tends to grow around the lead tips so they won't pull loose. And the ends that go into the pacer itself (I'm trying to remember how my Dad's ICD looked after they removed it), they're hooked in there pretty tightly too. I know they can be disconnected so the unit can be replaced when the battery runs down but I doubt that they just pop off.

Sometimes a pacemaker will shift a bit. Call your cardio, explain what's happened. They can do a quick check on it. If everything is OK, then you can avoid having it removed and replaced in a different spot. Ouch.
I have only had my implant for 5 months now but considering that anything foreign in the body tends to be walled off by scar tissue and that scar tissue can shrink I would not be surprised if the orientation of the device did not change slightly.  When women have augmentation mammoplasty (boob jobs) they can experience what is called capsular contraction around the implant.  

Is there any evidence that your implant is not working properly?  Is it controlling/maintaining your rate/rhythm as it should?  As a former electronics maintenance technician, if the device seems to be functioning properly then I would see no reason to worry about lead detachment.  As Irene said they make those leads detachable but they don't make them EASILY detachable.

Of course if you have questions your EP is the best person to answer them (and calm your fears).  Hopefully you do not live in a country with socialized medicine so you CAN get in reasonably soon to see your EP.  

Bionic Bill
Cyborg at Large