Post Catheter Ablation Experience
I am 27 y/o and just had a catheter ablation for SVT a week ago.  Since, I've been feeling a little bit weaker but have been getting better every day.  I had trouble after the ablation bringing my heart beat down to a normal pace and had to spend the night in the hospital.  The Doctor said that I was sensitive to the adrenalyne and coupled with being dehydrated would take some time to get back to normal.  Has anyone had a similar experience?

Also, any suggestions on when to begin exercising.  Prior to the ablation I had been working out about 5 days a week but I don't want to push it too hard...
Hi guys, i'm 16 and I had my ablation on thursday (11 days ago) and my cardio said he had to ablate 40 times but is optimistic that it should work, I was discharged on the Monday evening but told to ring up on Friday if I still have chest pain(I get stabbing pains and have a dull ache?), unfortunately I ended up having to go to the doc on Friday anyway and she said I had a bit of a viral infection, I looked like crap and completely ignored the fact that my pulse was 150+, my cardio wanted a fax of the findings which she put down my pulse as 120 and he said he was happy enough for me to ring up on Monday to see how I am then! Personally I'm a bit irritated with the whole thing, like although my heartbeat is pretty regular and I just get flutters it still goes up, is this normal? There's rarely a day when it's under 80, did the ablation work? Am I worrying over nothing? Still haven't gone back to school as I'm very tired and was told to stay wrapped up. I would really appreciate your opinions and help on this as I feel no one else Is listening!
It is very common to have an increased pulse when you have an infection and/or fever.  You heart has also been thru hell and back with all of those burns, so I wouldn't worry about the elevated rate for now.  40 burns is the most I've heard of since I've been part of this forum.  The dull ache and the stabbing pain is a very common complaint.  I experience the "heartache" for about 1-2 weeks following mine.  For now, just relax.... it takes time to get better!
Thanks for your help Tom, just thought I'd give you an update, I went back to my cardio on Friday and he's hoping the pain will clear up in a week or two, he says It's too early to know whether its fixed or not and too early to wonder about the high pulse rate, he's going to put me on a holter monitor in February to see how things are going then but to go back to him before then if I get the palpations like last time. I'm not meant to exercise till after Christmas unless I feel up to it, this seems like a long time to be? And I'm not allowed have coffee, coke or alcohol either, just wondering is this normal or what do ye think? I still feel like there's something up but maybe the holter monitor will shed some light on that! Thanks again for your help, any opinions and suggestions welcome!
It sounds like he wants you to avoid anything that could raise your heart rate.  Alcoholic beverages, caffeine will certainly to that.  Your prescribed recuperation time seems longer than usual, but for now, I'd do what your cardiologist advises.  I hope that things straighten out for you.  What was your ablation for?
The ablation was for svt, it was caught in September at 240 when I was bouncing around at a concert, partially why I'm concerned that when I go back to exercise it'll resume itself. just wondering diet wise do you have much caffeine? I suppose I'll just have to be patient for the time being and take each day as it comes!
Until my ablation, I avoided anything with caffeine.   That was always an SVT trigger.
I was told to stay off it pre-ablation too just wondering why I'm still off it! -I think the real test will be once I'm allowed exercise how I'll get on then...
I haven't had caffeine in about 12 years. , but I drink beer from time to time. Alcohol is not a SVT trigger for me. I guess everyone is different.

I don't drink: regular coffee, regular tea, coke, guarana, etc. I mean, even tea must be decaffeinated for me (I have Dilhma's one)!

I certainly avoid ephedrine and pseudoephedrine. I'm very careful with flu and headache medicines, since they regularly include some amount of caffeine or ephedrine.
Thanks for replying, Did you have an ablation? Just wondering do you do much exercise or is that a trigger for you? I've found that I still have a high-ish heart rate but it's not in it's usual irregular rhythm, it'll be up at 150 just sitting down but not in irregular rhythm -should I be worried?
I get these shakes sometimes too when my heart rate goes up as well although I'm not sure if they're related or not, still having chest pain but I'm told that's normal enough!
I had an ablation on Monday and felt much better the next day with the exception of groin pain and tenderness.  But since have been experiencing a lot of SVT like symptoms, usually it feels like it's coming on but doesn't materialize, once this morning it felt like prior to surgery.  I am very, very bloated and there are sharp shooting pains near my belly button.  Does this sound familiar to anyone?  I'm beyond the point of exhaustion, shaky, nauseous and feeling a little blue.
Also- did anyone experience "sunburn" on there thighs and stomach?  It was like I spent time in a tanning bed during the procedure...  Then I broke out in not itchy hives in the area where I had been red.

27 year old, female, U Penn
Hey everyone I had an SVT ablation done on nov. 16. My doctor was able to start my SVT up right away and found the spot rather quickly that was causing the problem and got rid of it. I was only in surgery for about 1 and 1/2 hours to two hours. Doctor told me soon after that it was one of the best ones he had done and was 99% sure I would never have an episode again. Of course I worry a bit so since then every time I feel my heart race a little I think something is wrong..

It stinks cause I played a lot of basketball my whole life and this seems to have handcuffed me mentally because I know when i go out and exercise I will be thinking about this. Heck I have only had one episode my whole life (22 years old) and I am just trying to get back into things. I saw my doctor last Friday and said everything looks good did a real quick EKG on me and it came back fine. IDK just a bit of anxiety getting me but hopefully will pass soon!
Congratulations on finally getting those cuffs off.  mine felt more like a mill stone after having it for nearly all my life, and I'm approaching 62.  I'm post two years since mine, and I continue to feel occasional blips.  The PVC's have vanished, but I'm either experiencing brief runs of VT or SVT.  I't much lighter than before, and they only last from four to perhaps a dozen beats.  They don't occur every day, but perhaps six to eight times per week.  My SVT was a way of life before, and I accept whatever I'm feeling now as part of it.  Reggardless, it's night and day from I use to get, and I can work and play hard without thinking of what might be lurking.  You symptoms should become few and far between as the months progress.
Just wondering does anyone else get palps from eating hot food?
Yes, after spicy foods, sugary foods, gassy foods.  Almost any kind of food for me.  Eating can definitely cause palps.
Did you check with your doctor about the redness?  I had gall bladder surgery and ended up with a perfectly rectangular "sunburn" on my abdomen.  I found out that I am allergic to chlorexidrine glucate, which is a betadine type sterelizer that is used to prep you.  Now the must use just sterolized water when i have any procedures done.
And do you just ignore it? Is it a case of having to learn to live with it?
I am so relieved to have read these many posts about post-ablation problems! I am a 20-year old ballet dancer (I live in England) and have suffered from SVT attacks since my early teens. For many years I went to the doctors telling them about it, only to be turned away - however just over a year ago, I went to a different doctor and insisted there was something wrong, and after tests was diagnosed with SVT. My attacks would last anything up to ten minutes, with a pulse of 220bpm - they were usually brought on by dancing, especially jumping, and I often do suffer from extra beats too.  I was referred to a cardiologist who put me on Bisoprolol - although these did reduce the amount of attacks, they were still happening and the doctors didn’t want to increase my dosage of beta-blockers due to the effects of low blood pressure. The attacks were always a great inconvenience and were always at the back of my mind, so I agreed to Ablation.

I had the ablation procedure 4 weeks ago, and the cardiologist ablated very cautiously as he was aware of the pacemaker risk and that would be the end of my career as a dancer! He was however fairly confident that it was successful, and if not, he said I would just have to have the ablation again. I was released from hospital on the same day as the procedure and was very sick when I got home from the sedation they had given me. I felt terrible for the few days afterwards, I was so tired - I couldn’t stop falling asleep! My heart rate was very fast after the procedure and was put back onto my Bisoprolol to try and control it. The ablation was performed on a Friday and my cardiologist said that if I had a normal job working in e.g. a bank, then I could have been back to work on the Monday. I felt so terrible on the Monday, even if I had had a job working in a bank I couldn’t have gone back to it! I was advised to call out my GP to check my BP etc. was ok, which it was. With regards to exercise, I was told, one week of no exercise, and one week of gentle exercise, then back to normal after that - as I said earlier, I am now on week 4 since my ablation and have only done a few bits of exercise. I was a very fit and active person pre-ablation but now tire very easily.

However, I also teach dancing and when I was performing some small jumps with some younger students, my heart went into an SVT attack that lasted just over 1 minute. This was only 2 weeks after ablation and I am concerned that the surgery wasn’t successful, especially seeing as I am still on my Bisoprolol! I can see from everyone’s posts that it is common to have flutters etc., but has anyone had an actual palpitation post surgery? I did read on an information sheet that I was sent home with that you can have breakthrough palpitations after surgery, but I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this?

I also keep suffering from (since a week last Tuesday), a racing heart beat in the middle of the night. It is very scary and is always just when I am falling asleep and move slightly, it suddenly starts racing. It starts suddenly like a palpitation but slowly calms down after a few seconds of sitting up and slowly breathing (which is unlike my usual SVT attacks that end as quickly as they came on). It happens a few times a night and has happened most nights since they started a week and a half ago. I have never experienced this before and they always come when I am half asleep - has anyone else suffered from this?

I am at such a loss as to who can help me - it is very difficult as it is the Christmas/New Year break and many places are closed, and so I cannot speak with my cardiologist. My GP cannot help me as he was shocked when I said I had a palpitation after my ablation as he thought that once it was ablated, that was the end of the palpitations! I have a follow up appointment with my cardiologist 12 weeks after surgery, but I am due to start a new placement in January with my Ballet and am concerned that I may have to try and delay it until I can see my cardiologist at around Easter if these symptoms don’t begin to clear up - it’s so upsetting and annoying when it starts affecting your career!
Yes, that is really all you can do, is try to ignore them.  Avoid spicy foods or take antacids with them to see if that helps.  But in general they aren't anything to worry about so the doctor will tell you to just ignore them unless you start to develop troubling symtoms like chest pain or passing out.  But odds are that wont' happen.  Annoying I know but just do your best to deal with them as best you can.  You are not alone.
I am sorry to hear you are stil having issues.  It is possible you had a secondary path, that is not unheard of.  I know I felt all sorts of weirdness after my ablation and thought and still sometimes feel as though my heart is starting to race but it only lasts a second or so not a full minute.  It is still very possible your heart is just irritated and needs more time to rest.  It really takes a good 3 months for some to feel better.  I had a really bad case of pvcs about 5 weeks past my ablation that made me really sick but it did clear up.  If you are indeed having svt episodes you may need to have a followup ablation to get it fully corrected. In general though it is usually cleared up on the first try but it sounds like you are having more issues than normal.  I would really try to take it very easy for as long as you can since you are having problems and see if that helps calm your heart down.  I will caution though that you will never get rid of the extra beats.  If that is what you are feeling then they will likely calm down after a while but for the most part they are a completely different condition than the svt.  They did likely cause you to fall into the svt episode but they are a different issue that is totally unrelated and less of a health threat to you then the svt was.  So I would see since you are having such issues if you can get to see your doctor sooner.  I know you have some sort of health system that doesn't allow for easy access but do you have any sort of private options where you can just go and see a doctor and pay on your own considering your career issues?  Anyways, you may need to get an event monitor to try and catch what you are feeling to see if it is indeed still your svt or if it is some sort of ectopic issue.  I do hope you can get to the bottom of this soon and feel better soon.  Take care and keep us posted on how you are.
It's been just over 2 months since my ablation and even though the SVT and wierd skipped beats have stopped i still find that i get really tired and abit light headed when i am tired. I'm hoping it's just part of the healing process and that i should just listen to my body.I see my EP Dr on the 9th Jan. I have found that the last few weeks i have felt anxious about it all again as i just want everything to be ok. I think we all just need to give it time as i did also hear it can take some people between 3 months to a year to feel completly normal. So fingers crossed your ablation has worked as well as mine.
Hi i had a catheder abalation in sep of 2012 and right after i had abalation same day i got a migraine and started vomiting since then i have continued migraines and have chest pains alot. Ive had ekgs ultra sounds and stress test that are saying everything is ok  i feel like my cardiologist thinks im crazy and not listening when i tell them whats going on has anyone else had this happen to them?
Did you have an ablation for Afib?  I have heard that happening to some with afib.  It usually goes away eventually but you have been having it for a while.  I might start a new thread asking this question.  People don't always look in older threads and you might get a better response from people who have had this happen if you title your subject line with it.  I do hope that they go away.  Take care.
Hello. I am now 19 years old, at 17 (in June 2011), I also had SVT. I fainted every time I tried to have fun pretty much, I did the  Catheter Ablation surgery and stayed over night in the hospital, since I was so young they wanted to make sure they kept an eye on me. My doctors and nurses were amazing. Everything went just right and they froze away the extra blood circuit I had that was pumping extra blood into my heart, causing me to faint when my heart rate rose. My highest heart rate hit about 327 beats per minute. They were amazed that I was still alive and well okay afterwards. I thank God every day that I had that surgery. It changed my life and has let me remain to be a young adult and live my life as a normal person. I went back the next night after my surgery though, I started having abdominal pain and they could not figure out why. We think that my body was having a late reaction to the anesthesia they gave me. But don't second guess this surgery, it turned my life around and made me who I am today! If anyone else is thinking of this surgery, please do it. It could change your life around, too.
I have been looking through the forums to see if anyone else has suffered from Migraines after their op and you are the first I have seen.
Since I had my ablation I have been having 2 Migraine with Aura attacks a day, which includes the severe headache. Have they stopped?

Has anyone else had migraines after their op.?

Also who has had any sort of Hematoma in their groin? Mine is not too good and this is a week after.
I have actually heard of that happening for people who have had afib ablations.  It generally goes away after a while but do consult with your doctor about it as well about your hematoma.  But hang in there.  The healing process can take a while.  
My first Cryo or freezing, was done in 2003 and did not work.  I was later told, that Cryo is much less effective, than Ablation.  My insurance sucked and it cost me around $8,000.00 out of pocket, so seeking another surgery was not at the top of the list.  None the less, I sought advise from practically every famous heart surgeon in Houston.  They were all pretty cavalier and basically said; no big deal, do another surgery.  Nobody really seemed to care.  Well, 9 years later, I did it again.  This time with a different surgeon and Ablation.  Actual date of surgery 12-14-12  Entered Hospital at 6am and departed at 4pm.  I woke up the following day and had another episode.  Heart beating roughly 212 beats a minute.  I was pissed.  I didn't panic or call the doctor, as I've had this since childhood.  I simply waited for a scheduled appointment, 3 weeks after the surgery, to see my surgeon.  He said that was normal and would most likely not happen again.  He said that I would probably have that flutter beat, the one, that precedes an attack, forever, but a full blown episode would not happen.  I am happy to report that he has been right.  I exercise vigorously and have not had an episode since.  I am very happy I had the surgery again.  I finally found a heart surgeon who cared and I hope fixed my problem.  His name is Dr. Alexander Drtil.  I highly recommend him.  I'm 54 years old.  My heart condition is called Duel AV-Rentrant tachycardia
My dad had an ablation in February for AF and he also has heart failure. 3 days later heart rate dropped to around 37, dropping to 32 in places so the fitted a 3 wire pacemaker.
Ever since, he is having massive problems, his heart starts to thump, and he goes sweaty and clammy, tight chested and finds it hard to breathe, he quivers, and says he feels awful, blood pressure goes sky high. Nothing seems to be showing on the device as it records.
Doctor gave him Valium and told him it was panic attacks, but the symptoms are lasting for hours and hours, and he's not feeling well most days.
Has anyone experienced similar?
The doctor said that the thought it might be the rate response on the pacing device still switched off and holding his heart back at 60' so that was switched on so it can beat normally and not go lower than 60, but my poor dad is still feeling terrible, every day, he wakes up in the night feeling terrible, heart banging and doing flip flips. He's shaken, freezing cold, and his house was like an oven when I got here this evening.
We have been into a&e 14 times with this problem, and had about 10 visits to the pacing clinic since, and also to two cardiologists.
Nobody seems to know what is going on. All I know is my dad is experiencing horrid horrid symptoms, and feeling awful most days and I can't do anything to help him.
I'm 90% sure it isn't panic, as these "episodes" are lasting sometimes 10 hours!
Really really really hoping someone can help she'd a bit of light on the subject, coz I'm pulling my hair out, thanks for reading.
I had one yesterday and it was because I wasn't breathing normally. I only had 25% carbon dioxide. Tell him to try to just breathe normal. When I had it, my skin got sweaty and really hot. The reason skin quivers is because the calcium hides in the cells and skin vibrates. Also his muscles may tighten. My left wrist and fingers got so tight that I couldn't even open it. Next time try to tell him not to react funny when he feels weird and just breathe normally.
Hello Friends! I am a 36 y/o mother and I had a successful ablation on Aug. 12, 2013. I was also in surgery to get an ICD, which miraculously I did not have to get! They were able to completely fix my heart. I am so grateful for this. Because I am paying for the surgery and appointments out-of-pocket, I did not go to my follow up appt. I just cannot afford another $75 for them to say, "Yep, you are fine!" I know I pushed myself too hard (of course! I am a mom!) and now am a bit troubled. I have had some pains and dizziness that have only come in the last few days. Is it too later to do my follow up? Perhaps it is just stress and overdoing it. I cannot go backward, only forward. What do you suggest? Thank you!
Hi im 22 and i just had the same procedure done. I feel the burning pain that leaves you out of breath also and its only been two weeks but i feel sometime my episodes coming on but stop shortly after. Is this normal? I too am wondering when i can exercise with weights again.
I had  the procedure, on the 29th of October, 2013, I feel ok, but have excessive burping, do not understand this, I do have the chest pain right above my left breast, and some burning, that is normal, but am a little concerned about the burping, anyone have this?  
Hi Everyone,

My a fib/flutter/ablation experience. I am 65 yrs old, 6' and 165 lbs. Have been active mtn biker and runner for 30 yrs and live in a ski resort at the 6,000 ft elevation level. Went into a fib last May. Had been running at sea level and one day couldn't run a block, way out of breath and couldn't figure out why as I couldn't feel anything. Got home and tried biking up a mtn and same thing. Tried it 3 days in a row and finally called my GP who said I was in a fib. Put me me on 50 mg Atenenol twice a day and 150 Pradaxa twice a day and in 4 weeks cardio converted me. About a month later after a few glasses of wine went back into a fib. Cardio converted me again. Still on Atenenol and Pradaxa and was running with a little hold back because of BP medicine. In Calif in Dec and 2 glasses of wine (there seems to be a pattern) and a fib again. Decided on ablation and my GP recommended a Electro Physiologist in Provo Utah. Met with him day before procedure and he did MRI and said I had flutter in right atrium and a fib in left. 5 1/2 hr procedure and when I woke up back in hospital room I wasn't sure they had done anything as there was zero discomfort or pain. Nothing form the 5 catheter insertion points, 4 in groin and 1 in neck. Amazing after everything I had read online about other peoples experiences I was ready for discomfort/pain etc. Put me on 25 mg Atenenol once a day and 150 mg Pradaxa twice a day.Said no exercise for 10 days. Now running here 3 miles a day at 6,000 and heart rate gets into 115 range. When I wake up in am my blood pressure is 130/90 and heart rate in 80-83 but settles down in 30 min to 123/78 and HR 68. Can still feel missed and skipped beats and palpitations that go for 3-4 beats but they said all this is normal. If you have to have an ablation, go to the best!! This team was mind boggling. Good luck and thanks for reading! Oh, and no alcohol for 10 weeks. They used to tell you "no coffee" but a recent article (you can google) by the Canadian Journal of Cardiologists January 7, 2014  said a very long study involving 248,000 people that showed no correlation between coffee and atrial fibulation and in fact, code may prevent fibrosis.
I am a 44 year old female, and I had my ablation done on February 19th for Atrial Fib.  I was expecting it to be very minor but it was not.  The doctor ablated 164 places in my heart.  I thought this number was extremely high....does anyone else know of someone having this many?  I was in ICU that night and stayed in the hospital several more days, was released on the 22nd.  One of the main reasons for the long stay was the medication they put me on - 160mg of Sotalol - has to be very closely monitored to see how you tolerate it.  I did well.  Also, because they were working so close to my digestive system and esophogus they put me on stomach meds for a month.  The blood thinner they put me on was $300 WITH my insurance, which was just staggering....I felt pressure in my chest, and was told it was because my heart was swollen.  I was winded, and still get easily winded.  At my followup on the 27th the doctor told me it was normal and that due to the amount of ablations my recovery would be a little slower.  I am truly hoping for success.  I quit smoking before the procedure, gave up Mt Dew and caffeinated beverages and am eating healthy.  I see this as my second chance and I want to do it right.  Still feel tired but hoping that goes away soon.....
To tell the truth, this thread was kind of centered around SVT as opposed to AFib.  Perhaps if you started a new thread with a title concerning AFib, you'd get a response from the AFib folks. I had an ablation for SVT with 17 burns which is considered a lot.  Even with that amount, I felt the "heart ache" for a week or so following. 164 burns sounds staggering to an SVT'er but perhaps is common for someone with AFib.
Thanks to all contributing to this site.  Reading everyone's experiences has helped me understand what is "normal" after ablation and stopped me from panicking too much.

I'm a 49 year old woman living in the UK and I had my catheter ablation for paroxysmal SVT on March 5th (10 days ago).  

Prior to the procedure I had only had two noticeable PSVT episodes, 6 months apart, for which I had a heart rate of 230-250 beats per minute and required adenosine to get down to a normal rhythm.  (I may have had previous mild episodes which resolved spontaneously, so at the time I put there raised heart rate down to stress and too much caffeine.) I had a few months on Verapamil before the ablation which had some unwanted side effects, so I was more than prepared to have the procedure as I did not want to live the rest of my life on these drugs if I could help it.

I was fortunate that my actual ablation procedure was only 1 hour long as there was only one ablation site required, for AVNRT ( I was expecting a 3 - 4 hour procedure).  I was awake for the whole procedure and although it was uncomfortable and I could feel the catheter wires enter the heart, the burning sensation of the ablation etc, it was bearable.  I was also thankful to be able to talk to the surgeon and ask questions to understand what was happening.  The post op period on the ward was 4 hours and I was back home the same evening.

The first couple of days post op were fine with the slight pain in the chest, odd flutters and the groin pain from the catheter insertion. 3 days later got diarrhoea - probably bug picked up.  This resolved within a day.  5 days after procedure I experienced some pins and needles down my left arm and left hand.  Had this all checked out (in CCU for observation for one night) and heart rhythm was fine, pulse and BP normal.  Diagnosed as pinched nerve due to muscle stress in shoulders.  Then got light headed with sensation of blocked ears and effect of vision.  Again BP and heart rate normal.  Diagnosed with sinus infection.  Now when I sleep (10 days after procedure) I feel my heart skip a beat (as if an SVT is trying to trigger but not managing to).  It's causing my sleep to be affected and I'm more anxious at night.  During the day I feel okay because I'm not focussing on it.  I think anxiousness comes with the post op effects because you don't really know what the healing process involves.  I had hoped recovery would be faster but then it seems variable from everything I've read here and I just need to be patient - not that easy though is it?

Thought I'd share my experience as reading everyone else's helped me.
My son (14) had his second ablation two weeks ago for AVNRT.  The first was unsuccessful.  After the first procedure, he felt fine and went back to playing sports within two weeks.  He took Verapimil to control the SVTs.  He underwent a second procedure (both used cryo).  This time he has had issues with a high resting rate, which was transient and has returned to normal.  He tried to do some light exercising today and felt very tired and sleepy.  How long did this tiredness take to go away post ablation?  Everything else has returned to normal.  We do know that the fast pathway was ablated instead of the slow, so I don't know if that will make a difference or not.  Just wanted to know if you experienced tiredness post ablation did it go away eventually or do you still have it?
Thanks so much for this excellent summary of your ablation experience.  I am having one soon for afib and this gives me hope.
I just had my ablatian done on Thursday, July 9, 2015.  I was under the impression that I would feel great ASAP.  That is not my story and after reading all the above experiences; I realize what I am feeling is normal.   I was under for 6 hrs and after the anistisia wore off I felt like someone beat me.  From under my chin; through and beneath my breast.   It felt like I was all torn up.  I had a hard time breathing while talking, with a dry hacky cough, and was uncomfortable for 3-4 days. I'm still on my meds, blood thinner and propafenone.  5 days in and I still feel like I have been drinking tons of coffee most of the day.  My insides feel very jittery.   I'm feeling a little depressed and emotional.  My expectations need to be brought down a notch.  I'm going to try and walk a little today  maybe for at least 15 minutes.  I need to change my eating habits and make better life style choices when it comes to food.  Any bpm over 80 for me while doing nothing is uncomfortable, I feel shakey inside.  I have the Galaxy S5 and monitor my bpm with S Health App.  It records and keeps a record for me to bring to the doc for my check up.  I wish everyone a speedy recovery and best of luck on your journey.  God Bless.  :)
I had my ablation about 3wks ago and I'm much older then your son... I'm still waiting on the energy to return. I'm very frustrated that when I sleep all night and get up in the morning that in about an hour or two I want to go back to bed and sleep more. My ablation worked, but the pain I went through, I'm just not sure if it was worth it... unless my energy returns I'm going to very unhappy!
Hope your son recovers well and gets his young energy back that he deserves :)
I had an ablation for SVT yesterday.  This was at St Thomas hospital in London, UK.  I was awake the whole time.  My doctor was quickly able to induce my SVT rhythm and locate the accessory pathway.  This was on the right side of the heart, well away from the AV node, apparently it is quite a difficult site to access.  Unfortunately, despite a number of ablation attempts, he was unable to break the pathway and had to give up. He told me afterwards that you can only have so many attempts before causing too much wounding and inflammation at the site.  He had a good look around my heart, including going into the right side through a hole between the chambers to try to find any more accessory pathways.

My doctor told me afterwards that he could have another attempt in a few months time.  In the meantime he will put me on beta blockers.  The whole thing is pretty traumatic and the thought of having another attempted ablation does not fill me with joy.

I'm 55 years old and have had attacks of SVT since I was 10 years old.  These were mainly during heavy exercise or stress.  I could always terminate them myself without too much trouble.  However, in recent years, it has become more troublesome and I saw my doctor about it for the first time about a year ago.  He recommended ablation.

Hey Tony. It sounds like your history is about the same as mine.  I experienced my first episode at 6, and finally had it fixed at 60.  I could terminate all of my mine as well.  But when my cardiologist finally saw one, he urged me to get it fixed, and coaxed me into the cath lab.  Mine was a left sided accessory path AVRT,. I hope you go for it again when you can.  SVT rates are increasingly tough on our again hearts.  Good kuck!
Make that "aging hearts"
Hey Tom.  Wow, I thought I took a long time to get around to doing anything about it!  Mine is also AVRT (initially thought to be Wolff Parkinson White, not sure whether it still is).  The good news is the doctor discovered that my pathway is slow conducting, so apparently no risk of sudden death. I'll wait to see whether the ablation attempt has had any effect at all.  The doctor said although the pathway is still there, it's just possible it no longer gives SVT episodes.  We will see.  Otherwise it's probably beta blockers and then perhaps having another ablation attempt in a few months.  I am pretty active, so was really looking forward to doing activities without having to worry about the dreaded SVT suddenly kicking in.  Such is life.  
Yes Tony, the accessory path remains.  It's just been bridged or severed by a series of burn dots until the path ceases to conduct.  Mine was left side, and required 17 burns to interrupt conduction.  I'm not sure if that is few, or many.  But the electrophysiologist said that it was a wide conductive area.  I guess the reason it took me so long to anything about it was it had become intertwined in my life, and I just dealt with it.  To ability to terminate them on my own and stay out of ER's those entire 54 years that I ha it no doubt was key in doing nothing about it.  While I'm thrilled and thankful for having it done and getting my life back, I'm faced with the reality that there is a lot less life left than what has gone by me already, and I lament that.  Still, I always challenged my SVT, and did things, sports and activities that dared it to happen.  Sometimes it did.  But aside from one family activity, open ocean sailing, I don't think that it held me back too much.  Enjoy your life Tony, and I hope you can do the things now that you may have hesitated at before.
Hi Tony, if the pathway is in a spot that is difficult to get to, perhaps your EP can refer you out to Royal Bromptom.  RB is equipped to deal with the difficult to access SVT cases, right free wall for example or even congenital hearts.  The right free wall accessory pathways are difficult in SVT ablations although I am not sure if that is what you have.  Best of luck in getting a successful ablation.
I'm in the same boat as tony,  about 3 weeks out and now I'm starting to notice palpitations when I get my heart rate too high from exercise.    I've been an athlete all my life I'm really hoping this isn't a permanent.     I had sustained outflow track VT.  
Im in the same boat as tony, I'm   about 3 weeks out from an ablation and starting to get palpitations when I get my heart rate too high from exercise.    I've been an athlete all my life Im really hoping this isnt permanent.     I had sustained outflow track VT.  
Hi researcher09, thanks for your advice.  I don't know exactly where the pathway is, except it is on the right hand side and well away from the AV node.  I would like to keep my EP doctor as he is now very familiar with my electrical conduction system.  I do not know whether he operates from Royal Brompton.  I know he does in a number of hospital other that St Thomas, where I was seen.  I will explore this with him.  So thanks again.
Tony,  hopefully, your EP has privileges at RB.  I don't know how things work with the NHS.  Here in the states, clinical EPs typically localise to one center and EPs with the specialised equipment are specifically trained to use it and don't share with EPs from other centers that are not familiar with the equipment.  My doctor's group are the main users at the local center that has the equipment and I was told that the hospital executives refused non-hospital affiliated EPs requests to use the system.  The center has excellent reputation and ablation patients are wait listed so it is too bad that non-affiliated EPs don't have access.  They really need to get their own but the problem is that it takes major remodeling or new construction because the motorized magnets weigh 2 tons.
I am a 69 year old woman that has had PAC's most of my life. Thyroid disease has been a contributing factor with the Afib. I have been on heart meds since I had a cardiovert in 2010. Meds worked well until 2015 when a vacation was interrupted with a severe bout of Afib & Aflutter. Dr suggested ablation & I agreed. He ended up ablating for Afib, Aflutter & SVT on Nov. 6, 2015 & I have been fine other than some skipped beats here & there, but feel so much better now. It took about a month to feel "good". Dr will wean me off Flecainide & I hope that is successful. I would definitely recommend this procedure. The techniques are much more refined now than a few years ago with a high rate of success.
I have also made several lifestyle changes that seemed to trigger my arrhythmia - no alcohol & very little caffeine & less salt...so far, so good..
Sounds like you had a successful procedure.  Best wishes for continued recovery and long term sinus rhythm.
I had an ablation for AVRNT 6 days ago.  Don't remember much but going in a cold room and then waking up in a recovery room with a dry mouth and being told to lay still.  I slept, drank water and used the bathroom for the rest of the day and then the following day again.  Today is the first day all the restrictions were lifted and I feel more myself.  I just wasn't ready to be so exhausted for the past few days.  It hit me like a rock!  I am not in the best of shape, but wow!  Didn't have to take any pain meds and wouldn't have know about the two tiny incisions in my groin until husband took a picture with my cell phone after bandage was off.  I have felt weird sensations in my chest, but it may all be in my head.  I am off 2 heart meds since the ablation and are being weened off the other.
Oh and I am 44 years old and have been dealing with svts since I was 19.  I was a college majorette in college having svts and had to quit.  Wished ablations were around back then as so far so good!
Congratulations on your procedure, and I hope you have a speedy recovery.  The "incisions" you speak of were actually punctures from a from a pretty good sized needle.  Mine were mere dots within 2 days and had disappeared within a week or so.  Still, I limped around for about 2 weeks due to the soreness.  I had my first SVT at 6, and didn't get it fixed until I was 60.  Ya, is wish it had been around too...