Heart Rhythm Community
Post Catheter Ablation Experience

This patient support community is for discussions relating to heart rhythm issues, arrhythmia, irregular heartbeat, implanted defibrillators, pacemakers, and tachycardia.

Post Catheter Ablation Experience

I am 27 y/o and just had a catheter ablation for SVT a week ago.  Since, I've been feeling a little bit weaker but have been getting better every day.  I had trouble after the ablation bringing my heart beat down to a normal pace and had to spend the night in the hospital.  The Doctor said that I was sensitive to the adrenalyne and coupled with being dehydrated would take some time to get back to normal.  Has anyone had a similar experience?

Also, any suggestions on when to begin exercising.  Prior to the ablation I had been working out about 5 days a week but I don't want to push it too hard...
hi
i spent 2 nights in hosiptal after mine i had to get adrenalyne as well and the first night i was ok but the next day i was shattered and very tired.it takes a while for the heart to heal after an ablation as it is still having to work {obivously} and after the burning.i would take it easy for now or for a few weeks leave things settle a bit.i know i had a lot of pain in my muscles after ablation but it subsided after a week or so.keep youself hydrated and enjoy the rest.
i dont know exactly how hard and how soon u could exercise i think your cardio should have advised u on that  but i persume u could resume lightly to start after a few weeks depending how the ablation went and how good u feel.exercise is important for the heart and the body as a whole.but i would not go lifting heavy weights until your leg or where your cathers were placed was well healed or as to not put extra stress on the heart as it heals
have  u asked your doc about this
was the ablation a success
Hey Lagoya,

The Doctor said that he believes that the ablation was a success.  In the days afterwards I would get a beat that would feel like the beginning of SVT but then it would just sort of short circuit out so that is probably a good sign.  My legs have healed up pretty quickly and aren't tender at all anymore.

On the exercise front, my Dr. said to take it slow and wait until I feel pretty good.  It's hard for me to say though, I feel pretty decent now but don't want to do any damage by working out too hard.  Maybe I'll just walk and do some light cardio for the next week or so.

When did you get yours done?  Was it a success?  I think that my expectations going into the ablation were that I would be out and about by two days afterwards but I found that it has taken me quite a few days to start feeling back to normal.  The first few days were the roughest because my heart rate seemed to be staying in the 90's and 100's even at rest.  I've gotten it back down to normal levels now...
yeah it takes a while for the heart to settle after having those wires poking in there plus the stress of the procedure which is normal i went back lightly {exercise}after about  3 weeks and on docs advise just to be safe and i exercise away now without much problems.
my ablation was this time last year and i may have to get another cause i get quite a lot of pvcs that have gone into runs alltough not as bad as before or they would last as long i had a bunch of tests again recently and i am seeing my ep on the 9th of sept to see if i need another i may not they just might leave me a low dose beta blocker for now.i have no problem exercising or getting my hr up  and have no pvcs during exercise or heavy thumping --sometimes it can take 2 ablations just a little fine tuning.
glad yours was a success u may get the odd flip-flop here and there its just the heart healing

best of luck

I had an ablation on the 4th of August.  My heart rate was up too the day of the procedure -90-s.  Even now, if I overdue, it seems to beat faster than normal.   I think it's fairly normal because of the meds used and the whole procedure itself.  Just these past couple of days, I'm feeling less fatigued and my energy is coming back.  I thought because of my age ,52,years old, it was taking me a little longer to recover but from what I'm reading, it's not  unusual to feel fatigued for a little while after. I would check back with your Dr. about exercising.  I was told to take it easy for a few days and  see how I felt.  I'm just going to take a daily one mile walk for a few days and gradually build up to my regular 3 mile walk.  I think it makes sense not to push too much since our hearts have been through a lot of poking and prodding. I'm glad you're doing well!
Betty
Hi Betty,

Thanks for the response.  Looks like we were going through the same thing at about the same time.  Did your ablation go well?  My doctor seems to think that mine was successful but noted that you can't be sure until some time passes.

Prior to going in for the ablation, my expectation was that I  would be back up and around after a couple of days.  I was a little off base.  Yesterday and today have been good days where I've been feeling back to my old self.  I think I will start walking this weekend but not get back fully for another couple of weeks.

Are you getting any weird heart beats?  I've gotten a couple that just seem to get shorted out which I believe has to be a good sign.

Hope all is going well!
I had my ablation done on Aug 5.  I was having over 10000 pvc's per day.  The ablation was successful, but I have been having chest pain and burning since the procedure.  I was awake when he started to ablate and he didn't start the fentanol (pain killer) until AFTER the procedure started, so I was in agony while he ablated for three minutes.  I continue to have burning.  Did you have the burning sensation?  What does your pain feel like?  How far out are you from the procedure?    Also I am in my mid fortys and wondered what your aprox. age is.  I suppose that could make a difference.  I was very fit before the procedure, and am having trouble walking.  It causes pain.  Thanks for your info.  Val
I am 52 years old and thought maybe that why I was feeling so tired after the ablation. I have had the burning sensation too in my chest which I'm trying to manage with Advil. I had my ablation done on Aug. 4th. Mine feels like an occasional mild burning that seems to come and go,  I can pretty much ignore it although it can be slightly annoying, I'm sure it will lessen as time goes by.
Betty
Hey Val,

I had my ablation on August 6th and am 27 y/o.  I can't believe that you were awake when they began the ablation.  I was knocked out before the electrophysiologist even was in the room and didn't wake up until I was back in my hospital room.

As for the burning sensation, I don't really have any of that.  Occassionally, I'll get a mild shooting pain around my heart area but is subsides within a few minutes.  I just notice that I am more fatigued than usual.  I am physically fit but find certain activities harder than they had been.  However, that is subsiding as time goes on.

We might have had different ablations, I had AV nodal reentry, but I would contact your doctor if you are having trouble walking.  It's been over a week now for both of us, and I would think that you should be back up on your feet at least.  What did your Doctor indicate as a recovery period?
i had an ablation on the 16th of march..i went into surgery at6:15 am and they didnt finish with me till quater till 4:that evening..im 31 years old and my heart rate goes up into the 150 and 160s...they had burned me 45 times and could of burned alot more but they said if they got any closer to my heart i would of needed a pace maker....so they stoped..i spent the night in the hospital...im home now and im so short of breath im tired i feel ,sharp stabbing pains in my chest that althought they arent permenant, when they come there enough to nock u out or want to vomit.....i feel lke i have been crushed between two walls..it hurts and im really uncomfortable...is this normal..i read all your poasts and i see it takes weeks and or months to have some relief..honestly i was so used to my heart rate being so high i just kinda delt with it..im not used to this discomfort and i dont know if i can get used to this....
Yes, it's normal to feel tired and achy after an ablation. I've had 3 done and each time was a bit different but yes, I had that deep ache in my chest. Remember what they've done in there. It takes months to heal inside. The ache should ease up in a week or two. With so many zaps to your heart, I'd expect a couple weeks for you.

Don't be surprised if your rhythm still acts up a little now and then. You may feel like you're going into tachy and then it stops within seconds. A bit nerve wracking but it's all part of the process. The heart is quite irritated. The good news is it won't last forever.
Yeah, 45 burns is a lot. Just take it easy and make sure you communicate with your doctor any concerns just to be sure. You just had your procedure a couple of days ago, so I think it's totally normal to be tired and achy, but what you're describing shouldn't last too long. More typical are much more subtle residual symptoms that take weeks or months to heal. But again, when in doubt, don't hesitate at all to call your doctor.
hi everyone, I come straight to the point. My wife 2B she is Ukrainian.She works in a hospital there. she and her son still live in Ukraine. Just found out that son 16 this month has to have a catheter ablation but my Tanya and I want him to have the operation in this country. As she puts it there is lack of exp in such operations there. They are both my life. I have an idea how much it would cost privately 7-9 thousand.
do any one know who I can talk to for advice, one to one. I live in Sunderland If I have to borrow and go privately I will, just want him better. Any assitance would be sincerely appreciated. Richie+Tanya and our Taras
MANY THANKS!!
hi im 25 y/o i just had my first catheter ablation done 7 days ago for SVT. i had to be awake during the procedure and it did hurt, not excruciating pain but it hurt. my heart was burned 22 times, and they said it was a successful procedure for me. but the next day my heart kept racing it was scary, was about 150-180 bpm, they even gave me adenosine to slow it down. the cardiologist thought it was SVT but they figured out it was Sinus Tacchycardia or something, a normal fast heart rate....since then sometimes i feel my heart fluttering here and there sometimes out of breath but it last for a very short minute or so. ive been feeling very exhausted everyday so far, and ive been given medication to slow my heart rate down, called a beta-blocker. sometimes im scared but other times im just fine. the doc said it could be from the adrenaline, and me being dehydrated cuz i had to fast and i starved for 2 days and was waterless!! so when my stomach is empty my heart feels fluttery, does go away with eating or drinking water, i think its weird......im wondering if this is all normal????  right after  the procedure my chest was burning for a few hours, i don't feel that no more. but sometimes feel my heart skips a beat or two, but it goes away fast!
completely normal - your heart's been through trauma and it may take some time to heal - some of us depending on what was done; can take up to 6 months for it to completely heal and the full effects of an ablation to work

take it easy and let yourself heal and try not to be too anxious
I had a Cardiac Ablation several months ago. My PVC's were occurring in a running sequence which would make me nauseas, dizzy and at times out of breath. The doc said I had five locations where they were producing and was able to burn two of them, but couldn't get to the other three. I don't get the running sequence any longer now I just get this flip flop sensation in my chest. Even though those drive me crazy the worse is I get really dizzy when they hit. My heart starts flip flopping and my head feels like someone is shaking it. Also I get this pain under the left breast.  Anyone else have any similar effects?  
I originally posted this to another discussion, but I think it belongs here...

I have been suffering from bouts of PSVT since I was seven years old. I'm now 46.  But, I didn't know exactly what it was until late 2007 when for the first time in 36 years an episode lasted long enough for me to get an EKG.  My grandfather also suffered from SVT episodes, but he died of lung cancer from chain smoking at the age of 84, so I feared smoking far more than the SVT.

In March of this year, I decided to take the EKG printout to the EP I had seen about 6 years ago.  He took one look at it and said, "You've got AVNRT, and you need an ablation."  I searched the Internet, found this message board, read dozens of posts, and decided, well, it's time to schedule the RF ablation.

My EP/surgeon/anesthesiologist is Dr. Machado of Providence Hospital in Southfield, MI.  He is well respected in this area, and does about 6 ablation procedures per week.

I had the RFA on April 14, 2010.  It took 3 hours.  Just prior to the procedure, one of the surgical team came to the prep room to talk to me.  I told them, you know, I never get these attacks from being scared or angry.  When I was younger, it always happened when I was happy, excited, or elated.  Then, when I made a downward movement, BAM, my heart rate would jump to 200 bpm with a quivery feeling at first, later resolving to must a fast, hard beat.  This would last anywhere from a few seconds to half an hour.  Vagal maneuvers never worked.  It would just go through this sequence, and just return to normal as suddenly as it started.  Recently, it has come on spontaneously, from road vibrations while driving, intestinal gas moving around, or just out of the blue.  I've had many years to make observations about my problem, and one thing I tried to tell them was that after having a fast heart rate, for whatever reason, I would feel great.  And, I would be for all practical purposes, immune from an attack for several days.  (I used to run a couple of miles per day back in high school, and this seemed to prevent attacks.)

When they first inserted the electrodes, the SVT started.  Makes sense to me since there seemed to be a physical sensitivity.  But then, for the next three hours, they tried and tried and tried to reproduce the condition.  Also makes sense to me since my own observations were that after a fast rate, the problem would not come back.  It was soon apparent that I did NOT in fact AVNRT.  That would be too simple.  I turns out, I has "Automatic Atrial Tachycardia" (AAT).  Dr. Machado seemed confident that he was eventually able to induce the arrhythmia, able to find the source for the signal, the cells that were going rogue and taking over, and ablate the area.  But I had my doubts.  I'm sure he found something, but I'm not sure he found it all.

The procedure itself went much like many others have described.  I was not awake for most of it, however, I was awake for some parts.  Sometimes, in order to induce the arrhythmia, there is no way around it, you can't be heavily sedated.  I remember when the mapping electrodes were inserted in the vein in my right groin area and when they reached my heart.  I remember the fast heart rate, and some of the pacing procedure.   Post procedure problems were mostly due to the puncture wounds in my for the catheters, and a huge bruise that went half way down to my knee.  Not really a big deal since bruises will heal.  About 18 hours after the RFA, I had a few hours of what-the-hell-was-that? heartbeats.  I don't know if the were PVCs or PACs or what.  For the most part, those have been much less frequent than the day after, but more frequent than prior to the procedure.

It wasn't fun and I wouldn't recommend doing it without good cause.  But if there is good cause and your EP recommends it, don't hesitate.

Now for the more discouraging problems.  My heart rate prior to the RFA was about 100 bpm.  I was taking 50mg of atenolol per day, and 2400mg of fish oil (it's said to reduce the heart rate by a couple percent).  On both of these, my heart rate would be in the 60's.  Last night was my 17th day post procedure.  After feeling quite recovered, spending a weekend in Las Vegas, working all day pushing a lawn mower, hacking away at overgrown brush at the back of my property, I sat down to watch some TV before going to bed.  At 11 p.m. I had what I could only describe as an SVT attack.  It only lasted a couple of seconds.  When my wife checked my pulse, she said it was about 124 bpm.  My blood pressure was also somewhat elevated.  Again tonight at about 8:30, I had another one.  It was almost like it was trying to go into the full-blown SVT mode, but it didn't quite get there.

I still have to take the atenolol and the fish oil.  I don't know how the fast heart rate figures in to my problems.  Is it a separate issue, or is it related.  I will be going back to Dr. Machado for a follow-up on Tuesday.

I will post a follow-up several months from now for anyone interested in knowing how things turn out.  I noticed that most people seem to be very prolific when they are searching for info and prior to their procedure, but few return to say how things went after a year, unless their problem comes back.

Update 5/4/10

I went to my follow-up visit with my EP.  He said that if the ablation was successful, then it would be from the moment he finished.  However, some comments I've read here lead me to believe that it may take several weeks to know for sure since the ablated sites take time to heal.  I have the Dr.'s report.  I don't understand some parts of it.  It seems that he actually did 7 ablations, not the "2 or 3" that he told us while I was in recovery.  Maybe he meant "2 or three areas" and they didn't the ablation in the same area more than once.  He didn't go through the report with me (I got it just before I left his office today), but it looks like I had an arrhythmia AFTER the catheters were removed!  to me, this means that the ablation was NOT successful.  Maybe I don't understand the meaning of the notes.

They sent me home with an event monitor.  Curious device this event monitor.  It can only store 2 events, then I have to empty it by sending the data over a phone.  And, not just any phone.  It can't be a cell phone.  I was thinking I could record the output, and play them back at my convenience.

So, now I'm swilling caffeinated beverages and chocolate bars to see if I can cause another "episode" for the event monitor.
I had ablation yesterday. My pulse is normal, as I generally do not get episodes when I'm not doing cardio exercise.  They had to burn several spots on me, and the surgery took 7 hours. I'm sore. Have bruises on one of the entry marks in my leg. Tired. Napping every couple hrs, as I didn't sleep during my one night stay in the hospital.

Wost part: Laying flat from 3 - 9 PM. My back just ACHED.  Much better @ 9 when I could get up and walk. Catheter = ouch (I'm a 41 y.o. male). Urine is slightly bloody. I have a cough and sore throat from the intubation. Have spotted some very red blood.  Just touches.

I am to resume unrestricted physical activity in 2 weeks, which for me, means starting training for the Memphis St. Jude Marathon. Every thing I've read here is horror show: multiple ablations, complications... I don't know how I'll roll, but I'll post the GOOD, bad, and ugly.
OK... 3 days out.  I feel fine. Going to work tomorrow. (white collar job)

I feel like I could run, right now.  I feel like that would be a stupid thing to do, but I think I could do it... so 11 days to go.

I am a drummer and will be drumming a 4 hour rock show @ +9 days.
I've just opted to do a journal on this recovery.  

http://www.medhelp.org/user_journals/index/1398166?personal_page_id=1681811

So far, so good... truth comes out this Thursday.
Ive just had ablation yesterdday sept 3rd i was trying to find out if all this soreness is normal my throat is so sore it kills me when I cough. I spent the night in the hospital had an episode of 150 beats a minute last nght i was so discussed because i thought this was going to stop this I am on meds now hoping this ablation was a success I doubt it after last night anyone have these symptoms after ablation. I was sent home with an event monitor I'm tired and so sore.  
I had the ablation done on 09/08/10, so far i am experiencing mild child pain, a few palpatations but I think at this point is normal. I read you can still have some palpatations right after the ablation. I seem tired alot and nap every day, I go back to work tomorrow which is a stand up job, gonna be hard to nap on the job LOL.
eledimarc, I just had a pulmonary vein isolation ablation on 8/31.  I had 5 episodes of afib  the first week after the procedure.  My throat was also very sore from the tube they put down the throat.  This last weekend, had to go to er and they shocked me back to normal rhythm.  Saw my cardiologist Monday and he said it is not afib or a flutter but atrial tachycardia.  He changed my meds for that.  So yes, what your experiencing is not unusual.  So hang in there and give it some time.
Day +50. I had a cold ( I think it's over now ) was on pseudofed the whole time. Ran SUPER hard... pulse = solid.

Post ablation experience =  fixed.
Had catheter ablation for AFib on October 6th. Felt great for a few days - 72-74 steady rate. This morning woke up feeling my heart is racing, it was 120, though, there were no arrhythmia. Tonight it's fast again (115) and pretty steady. I guess it's normal. I have Verapamil but don't want to take before my doctor's (cardiologist) appointment tomorrow.

I had an ablation on FEb. 28th for SVT.  My dr. also told me that if it was a success, it would be as soon as it was one but to expect some fluttering and such for up to 3-4 wks afterwards. 3 weeks out & I don't get it as bad but it still can rise into the 120's.  Also, my resting heart rate seems to be faster than it was before.  Chocolate and alcohol definitely makes it go up and eating too much or slouching.  I also get a pain/discomfort that radiates up from my heart into my left shouldr then down my arm.  Not sure if I should go back in yet or give it some more time.
Hi, I 'm a 42 old female who underwent RAF procedure  for AVNRT on 9th April 2011. According to my ep, the procedure had gone well. He said he was able to burn most part of the additional pathway. I am feeling much better, and less fatigued but I get a tightening feeling in my chest and a strange pain which moves from the chest to left arm and under my breast. I still haven't started on my regular excercises although the dr. said to start. I don't want to push it too hard after all the stress the heart has gone through. I hope I'll be fine after some time.
I am having an ablation for Svt on thursday and didnt  know of any other experiences until I found this post..its been very informative but was hoping the positive aspects of having the procedure would have bn higher as my doc says it carries a 95% success rate..I am no so sure now..I desperately need it as I have had 3 ambulances in the past week.my beat is often over 180 which also raises bp to 190/120..I have adenosine and that is always an enjoyable experience.NOT! Does any one else enjoy that? Fortunately it has resolved it until the next time.
Any way I have become so exhausted + scared I don't want to leave the house anymore..please has anyone had a really good result with ablation cos I am hoping it will change my life.I have had it on/off for 30 years.
Good luck on your ablation Thursday. I'll be praying that your ablation will be as successful and tom and Jannie's. Mine is scheduled for next Tuesday so I feel your nervousness. Won't it be nice to live a svt free life and a fear of svt life? Yours sound so much worse than mine. I only have a serious attack 3 or 4 times a year but I've had mine for over 20 years now. I was misdiagnosed 23 years ago with afib and told I0 years ago I wasn't a candidate for an ablation. When I finally saw my ep he asked why no one had sent me to him before because he feels that mine is an easy fix. Anyway, just want to say good luck. I'm anxious to hear your story. This is such a great place to come and share our experiences.
Hiya, Im 17, I have WPW. Im having catheter ablation next thursday, i've heard like a lot of horror stories about it,Can you feel the catheter as it moves up to your heart?
Hanna :) x
Do a search on user "Jannie411".  She has a very report on her procedure.  I was under general anesthesia for mine while she was awake.
I have had palpitations since the age of 8. I have been in hospital numerous times. I have had adenosene, also fleckinide. My heart rate reached 280 pm. It is a terrifying experience, I was told by a doctor in A/E that if my heart rate was not brought to normal rythym i would have a heart attack. Not very pleasant. My palpitations lasted from minutes or up to 30 hours. I went to see a cardyoligist who arranged for me to have catheter ablation in 2004. I was awake for the procedure, it did not hurt at all when they put wires into my groin, but i got a really heavy sensation on my chest. As soon as the wires entered my heart, my palpitations started straight away, the doctor told me that he would not be able to ablate as i had atrial fibrillation, and the risk of having a stroke was high. I was petrified. So to say the least i had gone through that awful experience for nothing, and i was sent home with palpitations, the next day i ended up back in hospital with dizziness and chest pain. They stopped my palps with fleckinide. I was told to continue taking beta blockers, and in the future may need a pacemaker if things got worse. I moved from the uk to Ireland after that. I would often get bouts of palpitations, and it was like someone flicking on a switch, it could come on at any time. In May 2011 i got them so bad i ended up in hospital, they gave me all the usual drugs to try and slow it up but nothing  They wanted to give my cardio version. Put you to sleep and shock your heart back into rythm. Thank god it slowed up just as they were about to do it. This was ruling my life, every day living in fear. The doctor told me he had picked up on my ecg that i had wolf parkinson white syndrome. He arranged for an ablation which i had on 29th August 2011, done under general aneasthetic. My heart rate went to 200 beats per minute. Thank god i did not feel a thing. I was told that i had runs of a fib, but when they ablated, then gave adreneline to start them off,but nothing. I stayed in hospital for one night. little sore in groin. Few griping pains around heart, little tired for few days. One week on i feel great, i feel my heart like a little drum roll at times as though its going to kick in, but i can almost feel it short. I feel different, i feel little flutters and extra beats but nothing more. If this is cured i feel i have a new lease of life, only time will tell. This is a very frightening heart condition, but the technology gets better all the time. I wish everyone with heart problems all the best. I have had this for over 30 years and im stil alive, and now i may also be cured...
Thanks foretelling us about your experience.  The short runs of SVT are a normal occurrence, and you may experience them for up to a year. As a long time sufferer of SVT (54 years), I understand how you feel to be finally free of it.
My father who is 71 had this operation on Tuesday and something went seriously wrong. He was placed in intensive care after as his his pulse had gone. The next day his blood pressure was low, his heart beat irregular and he looks and feels awful. He's now in the acute cardiac ward with tubes sticking all out of him. Yet the doctors say the operation was a success????!!! This was meant to only be an overnight stay.

I'm in bits.
I am 51 yo male, had second ablation for svt 2 days ago.  My first ablation done 5 months ago on right side of heart, 21 targets burned, still had all the symptoms post op.  This time 4 areas burned on left side around and next to tricuspid valve, then another 2 targets on right side by valve.  Post Op this time my pulse runs about 70, but BP rus 180/105 or so all the time.  Prior to this ablation my BP was roughly 115/75 with pulse 70.  Anybody else experience high BP post op?  Also he has me on two different bp meds twice per day.
Really?  Six months?  I had a study in may, and the actual ablation in July.  I exercise a lot, and have found I have GREAT trouble walking up hills, and even climbing stairs--and it's been over four months.  Still having symptoms every couple weeks, but that is way better than every other day--as before the ablation.  Please convince me that after four months, my heart stillneeds time to heal!
~Sue
***@****
Sue, I'm sorry that are you're still experiencing physical difficulties.  Undoubtedly, we all heal at different rates.  So each of our recovery processes can be different. Four mounts is a sufficient amout of time that you should be seeing progress on your return to normal activities.  If it's confirmed that your heart is structurally sound, no blockages, etc., then you shouldn't be experiencing trouble climbing a staircase this far out from your procedure.  It may take months for complete recovery, and to tell if your ablation was a success.  But physical recovery should come quicker.  Are you pushing yourself, or are you laying back a little?  I know that I was apprehensive to really push my limits for a while.  In fact, I had a stress test about 6 months post ablation with the purpose of showing me that I could push my personal envelope,  The cardiologist was beside me the entire time, and I managed 12 minutes on the standard treadmill test before punching out.  That's what it took for me to realize that I could begin to really push my personal wall out further without worrying about an SVT episode hapening.  Progress is painful, but fortunately the heart responds quickly to stress placed upon it.
did they check to see if you have any structural heart problems? trouble walking up hills and climbing stairs may point to something else and not related to the abltion - what type of trouble exactly are you having?

you should keep a journal/log of dates, times and symptoms and what you were doing; so you can discuss anything like this with your personal cardiologist.

some of us recover quickly and never have any other problems while others like myself recover in a few days and are ok; then the problems come back within a period of time - for me within a few months time and without another ablation to see if the problem is in the same pathway or another one cropped up after.

as Tom said; recovery and the healing process is completly individual but if you search the expert forums here in the heart disease and heart rhythm section; you'll find dr's answers about recovery/healing times =)
btw I have trouble with the things you say you do and it's because my tests didn't show my cardiomyopathy; just an enlarged heart...

After my ablation, I had to have a cardiac cath for them to find the problem and diagnose me with HOCM (hypertrophic obstructive cardiomyopathy)

best to make sure your dr listens to your concerns and figures out why you're having such problems
Hi, I was wondering how you are doing? Had my ablation yesterday and my BP was 190/90 during the procedure. Normally it is 120/70 . Prayor to my ablation I was on  Coreq and Tambocor for years for SVT. My doctor told me yesterday that I will have to continue with Coreq forever. I was really hoping to be able to live without medication after this procedure.
I'm a 44 year old male. Had my ablation on July 30th.  first week post ablation did light walking, 1/2 hour to an hour. 14 days post ablation, i did a 25k. bike ride.....took it easy with a few breaks. No issues, other than mild strong  beat 12 hours later,
Glad to see that my experience isn't too unique. I was scheduled for an ablation for an SVT, but it turned out to be an AV node ablation. I went home the same day and felt fine- minus the occasional, short-lived chest discomfort. As described by a previous commenter, it seemed like a palpitation tried to get going, but short circuited. It's been about four days now, and I've felt well enough to be up and walking around since the second day, without any problems. Today, however, I found myself lifting 10-15 pound boxes several times, without thinking about it. Nothing bad happened right then, but several hours later, as I went to get up off my couch, I had a terrible episode where I felt dizzy and lethargic and nearly collapsed. It lasted about 1 minute, and was followed by a minor, dull chest pain. Any thoughts on this? Did I push myself too hard today?
During a typical AV node ablation, a permanent pacemaker is implanted in the chest to regulate the pulse rate in the lower chambers of the heart to match the natural pulse rate in the upper chambers of the heart.  You didn't mention a pacemaker.  Are you sure they ablated the AV node?
I also had SVT and my ablation was in the AV node for SVT. I had 2 pathways and one had to be burned to stop the SVT. I suspect yours must have been the same type of burn.  Don't try to do things too soon as the heart takes months to heal. YOu might feel okay while resting, but believe me, if you try too much too soon, you'll wear out very quickly.
Richie,

My understanding from my cardiologist is that the best procedures now are being done in France.  She studied there, and used a process that freezes the area around the dysfunctional nerves rather than burning.  I'm in my third day after the procedure and, while I feel quite fatigued, have had no pain or aching to speak of.   Perhaps it would be easier for you to find a French doctor?  My doctor, Dr. Kasturi Ghia, is at Group Health Seattle cardiology in Seattle, Washington.  She might be able to recommend a European physician to you.
Richie,

Hi guys, i'm 16 and I had my ablation on thursday (11 days ago) and my cardio said he had to ablate 40 times but is optimistic that it should work, I was discharged on the Monday evening but told to ring up on Friday if I still have chest pain(I get stabbing pains and have a dull ache?), unfortunately I ended up having to go to the doc on Friday anyway and she said I had a bit of a viral infection, I looked like crap and completely ignored the fact that my pulse was 150+, my cardio wanted a fax of the findings which she put down my pulse as 120 and he said he was happy enough for me to ring up on Monday to see how I am then! Personally I'm a bit irritated with the whole thing, like although my heartbeat is pretty regular and I just get flutters it still goes up, is this normal? There's rarely a day when it's under 80, did the ablation work? Am I worrying over nothing? Still haven't gone back to school as I'm very tired and was told to stay wrapped up. I would really appreciate your opinions and help on this as I feel no one else Is listening!
It is very common to have an increased pulse when you have an infection and/or fever.  You heart has also been thru hell and back with all of those burns, so I wouldn't worry about the elevated rate for now.  40 burns is the most I've heard of since I've been part of this forum.  The dull ache and the stabbing pain is a very common complaint.  I experience the "heartache" for about 1-2 weeks following mine.  For now, just relax.... it takes time to get better!
Thanks for your help Tom, just thought I'd give you an update, I went back to my cardio on Friday and he's hoping the pain will clear up in a week or two, he says It's too early to know whether its fixed or not and too early to wonder about the high pulse rate, he's going to put me on a holter monitor in February to see how things are going then but to go back to him before then if I get the palpations like last time. I'm not meant to exercise till after Christmas unless I feel up to it, this seems like a long time to be? And I'm not allowed have coffee, coke or alcohol either, just wondering is this normal or what do ye think? I still feel like there's something up but maybe the holter monitor will shed some light on that! Thanks again for your help, any opinions and suggestions welcome!
It sounds like he wants you to avoid anything that could raise your heart rate.  Alcoholic beverages, caffeine will certainly to that.  Your prescribed recuperation time seems longer than usual, but for now, I'd do what your cardiologist advises.  I hope that things straighten out for you.  What was your ablation for?
The ablation was for svt, it was caught in September at 240 when I was bouncing around at a concert, partially why I'm concerned that when I go back to exercise it'll resume itself. just wondering diet wise do you have much caffeine? I suppose I'll just have to be patient for the time being and take each day as it comes!
Until my ablation, I avoided anything with caffeine.   That was always an SVT trigger.
I was told to stay off it pre-ablation too just wondering why I'm still off it! -I think the real test will be once I'm allowed exercise how I'll get on then...
I haven't had caffeine in about 12 years. , but I drink beer from time to time. Alcohol is not a SVT trigger for me. I guess everyone is different.

I don't drink: regular coffee, regular tea, coke, guarana, etc. I mean, even tea must be decaffeinated for me (I have Dilhma's one)!

I certainly avoid ephedrine and pseudoephedrine. I'm very careful with flu and headache medicines, since they regularly include some amount of caffeine or ephedrine.
Thanks for replying, Did you have an ablation? Just wondering do you do much exercise or is that a trigger for you? I've found that I still have a high-ish heart rate but it's not in it's usual irregular rhythm, it'll be up at 150 just sitting down but not in irregular rhythm -should I be worried?
I get these shakes sometimes too when my heart rate goes up as well although I'm not sure if they're related or not, still having chest pain but I'm told that's normal enough!
I had an ablation on Monday and felt much better the next day with the exception of groin pain and tenderness.  But since have been experiencing a lot of SVT like symptoms, usually it feels like it's coming on but doesn't materialize, once this morning it felt like prior to surgery.  I am very, very bloated and there are sharp shooting pains near my belly button.  Does this sound familiar to anyone?  I'm beyond the point of exhaustion, shaky, nauseous and feeling a little blue.
Also- did anyone experience "sunburn" on there thighs and stomach?  It was like I spent time in a tanning bed during the procedure...  Then I broke out in not itchy hives in the area where I had been red.

27 year old, female, U Penn
Hey everyone I had an SVT ablation done on nov. 16. My doctor was able to start my SVT up right away and found the spot rather quickly that was causing the problem and got rid of it. I was only in surgery for about 1 and 1/2 hours to two hours. Doctor told me soon after that it was one of the best ones he had done and was 99% sure I would never have an episode again. Of course I worry a bit so since then every time I feel my heart race a little I think something is wrong..

It stinks cause I played a lot of basketball my whole life and this seems to have handcuffed me mentally because I know when i go out and exercise I will be thinking about this. Heck I have only had one episode my whole life (22 years old) and I am just trying to get back into things. I saw my doctor last Friday and said everything looks good did a real quick EKG on me and it came back fine. IDK just a bit of anxiety getting me but hopefully will pass soon!
Congratulations on finally getting those cuffs off.  mine felt more like a mill stone after having it for nearly all my life, and I'm approaching 62.  I'm post two years since mine, and I continue to feel occasional blips.  The PVC's have vanished, but I'm either experiencing brief runs of VT or SVT.  I't much lighter than before, and they only last from four to perhaps a dozen beats.  They don't occur every day, but perhaps six to eight times per week.  My SVT was a way of life before, and I accept whatever I'm feeling now as part of it.  Reggardless, it's night and day from I use to get, and I can work and play hard without thinking of what might be lurking.  You symptoms should become few and far between as the months progress.
Just wondering does anyone else get palps from eating hot food?
Yes, after spicy foods, sugary foods, gassy foods.  Almost any kind of food for me.  Eating can definitely cause palps.
Did you check with your doctor about the redness?  I had gall bladder surgery and ended up with a perfectly rectangular "sunburn" on my abdomen.  I found out that I am allergic to chlorexidrine glucate, which is a betadine type sterelizer that is used to prep you.  Now the must use just sterolized water when i have any procedures done.
And do you just ignore it? Is it a case of having to learn to live with it?
I am so relieved to have read these many posts about post-ablation problems! I am a 20-year old ballet dancer (I live in England) and have suffered from SVT attacks since my early teens. For many years I went to the doctors telling them about it, only to be turned away - however just over a year ago, I went to a different doctor and insisted there was something wrong, and after tests was diagnosed with SVT. My attacks would last anything up to ten minutes, with a pulse of 220bpm - they were usually brought on by dancing, especially jumping, and I often do suffer from extra beats too.  I was referred to a cardiologist who put me on Bisoprolol - although these did reduce the amount of attacks, they were still happening and the doctors didn’t want to increase my dosage of beta-blockers due to the effects of low blood pressure. The attacks were always a great inconvenience and were always at the back of my mind, so I agreed to Ablation.

I had the ablation procedure 4 weeks ago, and the cardiologist ablated very cautiously as he was aware of the pacemaker risk and that would be the end of my career as a dancer! He was however fairly confident that it was successful, and if not, he said I would just have to have the ablation again. I was released from hospital on the same day as the procedure and was very sick when I got home from the sedation they had given me. I felt terrible for the few days afterwards, I was so tired - I couldn’t stop falling asleep! My heart rate was very fast after the procedure and was put back onto my Bisoprolol to try and control it. The ablation was performed on a Friday and my cardiologist said that if I had a normal job working in e.g. a bank, then I could have been back to work on the Monday. I felt so terrible on the Monday, even if I had had a job working in a bank I couldn’t have gone back to it! I was advised to call out my GP to check my BP etc. was ok, which it was. With regards to exercise, I was told, one week of no exercise, and one week of gentle exercise, then back to normal after that - as I said earlier, I am now on week 4 since my ablation and have only done a few bits of exercise. I was a very fit and active person pre-ablation but now tire very easily.

However, I also teach dancing and when I was performing some small jumps with some younger students, my heart went into an SVT attack that lasted just over 1 minute. This was only 2 weeks after ablation and I am concerned that the surgery wasn’t successful, especially seeing as I am still on my Bisoprolol! I can see from everyone’s posts that it is common to have flutters etc., but has anyone had an actual palpitation post surgery? I did read on an information sheet that I was sent home with that you can have breakthrough palpitations after surgery, but I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this?

I also keep suffering from (since a week last Tuesday), a racing heart beat in the middle of the night. It is very scary and is always just when I am falling asleep and move slightly, it suddenly starts racing. It starts suddenly like a palpitation but slowly calms down after a few seconds of sitting up and slowly breathing (which is unlike my usual SVT attacks that end as quickly as they came on). It happens a few times a night and has happened most nights since they started a week and a half ago. I have never experienced this before and they always come when I am half asleep - has anyone else suffered from this?

I am at such a loss as to who can help me - it is very difficult as it is the Christmas/New Year break and many places are closed, and so I cannot speak with my cardiologist. My GP cannot help me as he was shocked when I said I had a palpitation after my ablation as he thought that once it was ablated, that was the end of the palpitations! I have a follow up appointment with my cardiologist 12 weeks after surgery, but I am due to start a new placement in January with my Ballet and am concerned that I may have to try and delay it until I can see my cardiologist at around Easter if these symptoms don’t begin to clear up - it’s so upsetting and annoying when it starts affecting your career!
Yes, that is really all you can do, is try to ignore them.  Avoid spicy foods or take antacids with them to see if that helps.  But in general they aren't anything to worry about so the doctor will tell you to just ignore them unless you start to develop troubling symtoms (symptoms) like chest pain or passing out.  But odds are that wont' happen.  Annoying I know but just do your best to deal with them as best you can.  You are not alone.
I am sorry to hear you are stil having issues.  It is possible you had a secondary path, that is not unheard of.  I know I felt all sorts of weirdness after my ablation and thought and still sometimes feel as though my heart is starting to race but it only lasts a second or so not a full minute.  It is still very possible your heart is just irritated and needs more time to rest.  It really takes a good 3 months for some to feel better.  I had a really bad case of pvcs about 5 weeks past my ablation that made me really sick but it did clear up.  If you are indeed having svt episodes you may need to have a followup ablation to get it fully corrected. In general though it is usually cleared up on the first try but it sounds like you are having more issues than normal.  I would really try to take it very easy for as long as you can since you are having problems and see if that helps calm your heart down.  I will caution though that you will never get rid of the extra beats.  If that is what you are feeling then they will likely calm down after a while but for the most part they are a completely different condition than the svt.  They did likely cause you to fall into the svt episode but they are a different issue that is totally unrelated and less of a health threat to you then the svt was.  So I would see since you are having such issues if you can get to see your doctor sooner.  I know you have some sort of health system that doesn't allow for easy access but do you have any sort of private options where you can just go and see a doctor and pay on your own considering your career issues?  Anyways, you may need to get an event monitor to try and catch what you are feeling to see if it is indeed still your svt or if it is some sort of ectopic issue.  I do hope you can get to the bottom of this soon and feel better soon.  Take care and keep us posted on how you are.
It's been just over 2 months since my ablation and even though the SVT and wierd skipped beats have stopped i still find that i get really tired and abit light headed when i am tired. I'm hoping it's just part of the healing process and that i should just listen to my body.I see my EP Dr on the 9th Jan. I have found that the last few weeks i have felt anxious about it all again as i just want everything to be ok. I think we all just need to give it time as i did also hear it can take some people between 3 months to a year to feel completly normal. So fingers crossed your ablation has worked as well as mine.
Hi i had a catheder abalation in sep of 2012 and right after i had abalation same day i got a migraine and started vomiting since then i have continued migraines and have chest pains alot. Ive had ekgs ultra sounds and stress test that are saying everything is ok  i feel like my cardiologist thinks im crazy and not listening when i tell them whats going on has anyone else had this happen to them?
Did you have an ablation for Afib?  I have heard that happening to some with afib.  It usually goes away eventually but you have been having it for a while.  I might start a new thread asking this question.  People don't always look in older threads and you might get a better response from people who have had this happen if you title your subject line with it.  I do hope that they go away.  Take care.
Hello. I am now 19 years old, at 17 (in June 2011), I also had SVT. I fainted every time I tried to have fun pretty much, I did the  Catheter Ablation surgery and stayed over night in the hospital, since I was so young they wanted to make sure they kept an eye on me. My doctors and nurses were amazing. Everything went just right and they froze away the extra blood circuit I had that was pumping extra blood into my heart, causing me to faint when my heart rate rose. My highest heart rate hit about 327 beats per minute. They were amazed that I was still alive and well okay afterwards. I thank God every day that I had that surgery. It changed my life and has let me remain to be a young adult and live my life as a normal person. I went back the next night after my surgery though, I started having abdominal pain and they could not figure out why. We think that my body was having a late reaction to the anesthesia they gave me. But don't second guess this surgery, it turned my life around and made me who I am today! If anyone else is thinking of this surgery, please do it. It could change your life around, too.
I have been looking through the forums to see if anyone else has suffered from Migraines after their op and you are the first I have seen.
Since I had my ablation I have been having 2 Migraine with Aura attacks a day, which includes the severe headache. Have they stopped?

Has anyone else had migraines after their op.?

Also who has had any sort of Hematoma in their groin? Mine is not too good and this is a week after.
I have actually heard of that happening for people who have had afib ablations.  It generally goes away after a while but do consult with your doctor about it as well about your hematoma.  But hang in there.  The healing process can take a while.  
My first Cryo or freezing, was done in 2003 and did not work.  I was later told, that Cryo is much less effective, than Ablation.  My insurance sucked and it cost me around $8,000.00 out of pocket, so seeking another surgery was not at the top of the list.  None the less, I sought advise from practically every famous heart surgeon in Houston.  They were all pretty cavalier and basically said; no big deal, do another surgery.  Nobody really seemed to care.  Well, 9 years later, I did it again.  This time with a different surgeon and Ablation.  Actual date of surgery 12-14-12  Entered Hospital at 6am and departed at 4pm.  I woke up the following day and had another episode.  Heart beating roughly 212 beats a minute.  I was pissed.  I didn't panic or call the doctor, as I've had this since childhood.  I simply waited for a scheduled appointment, 3 weeks after the surgery, to see my surgeon.  He said that was normal and would most likely not happen again.  He said that I would probably have that flutter beat, the one, that precedes an attack, forever, but a full blown episode would not happen.  I am happy to report that he has been right.  I exercise vigorously and have not had an episode since.  I am very happy I had the surgery again.  I finally found a heart surgeon who cared and I hope fixed my problem.  His name is Dr. Alexander Drtil.  I highly recommend him.  I'm 54 years old.  My heart condition is called Duel AV-Rentrant tachycardia
My dad had an ablation in February for AF and he also has heart failure. 3 days later heart rate dropped to around 37, dropping to 32 in places so the fitted a 3 wire pacemaker.
Ever since, he is having massive problems, his heart starts to thump, and he goes sweaty and clammy, tight chested and finds it hard to breathe, he quivers, and says he feels awful, blood pressure goes sky high. Nothing seems to be showing on the device as it records.
Doctor gave him Valium and told him it was panic attacks, but the symptoms are lasting for hours and hours, and he's not feeling well most days.
Has anyone experienced similar?
The doctor said that the thought it might be the rate response on the pacing device still switched off and holding his heart back at 60' so that was switched on so it can beat normally and not go lower than 60, but my poor dad is still feeling terrible, every day, he wakes up in the night feeling terrible, heart banging and doing flip flips. He's shaken, freezing cold, and his house was like an oven when I got here this evening.
We have been into a&e 14 times with this problem, and had about 10 visits to the pacing clinic since, and also to two cardiologists.
Nobody seems to know what is going on. All I know is my dad is experiencing horrid horrid symptoms, and feeling awful most days and I can't do anything to help him.
I'm 90% sure it isn't panic, as these "episodes" are lasting sometimes 10 hours!
Really really really hoping someone can help she'd a bit of light on the subject, coz I'm pulling my hair out, thanks for reading.
I had one yesterday and it was because I wasn't breathing normally. I only had 25% carbon dioxide. Tell him to try to just breathe normal. When I had it, my skin got sweaty and really hot. The reason skin quivers is because the calcium hides in the cells and skin vibrates. Also his muscles may tighten. My left wrist and fingers got so tight that I couldn't even open it. Next time try to tell him not to react funny when he feels weird and just breathe normally.
Hello Friends! I am a 36 y/o mother and I had a successful ablation on Aug. 12, 2013. I was also in surgery to get an ICD, which miraculously I did not have to get! They were able to completely fix my heart. I am so grateful for this. Because I am paying for the surgery and appointments out-of-pocket, I did not go to my follow up appt. I just cannot afford another $75 for them to say, "Yep, you are fine!" I know I pushed myself too hard (of course! I am a mom!) and now am a bit troubled. I have had some pains and dizziness that have only come in the last few days. Is it too later to do my follow up? Perhaps it is just stress and overdoing it. I cannot go backward, only forward. What do you suggest? Thank you!
Hi im 22 and i just had the same procedure done. I feel the burning pain that leaves you out of breath also and its only been two weeks but i feel sometime my episodes coming on but stop shortly after. Is this normal? I too am wondering when i can exercise with weights again.
I had  the procedure, on the 29th of October, 2013, I feel ok, but have excessive burping, do not understand this, I do have the chest pain right above my left breast, and some burning, that is normal, but am a little concerned about the burping, anyone have this?  
Hi Everyone,

My a fib/flutter/ablation experience. I am 65 yrs old, 6' and 165 lbs. Have been active mtn biker and runner for 30 yrs and live in a ski resort at the 6,000 ft elevation level. Went into a fib last May. Had been running at sea level and one day couldn't run a block, way out of breath and couldn't figure out why as I couldn't feel anything. Got home and tried biking up a mtn and same thing. Tried it 3 days in a row and finally called my GP who said I was in a fib. Put me me on 50 mg Atenenol twice a day and 150 Pradaxa twice a day and in 4 weeks cardio converted me. About a month later after a few glasses of wine went back into a fib. Cardio converted me again. Still on Atenenol and Pradaxa and was running with a little hold back because of BP medicine. In Calif in Dec and 2 glasses of wine (there seems to be a pattern) and a fib again. Decided on ablation and my GP recommended a Electro Physiologist in Provo Utah. Met with him day before procedure and he did MRI and said I had flutter in right atrium and a fib in left. 5 1/2 hr procedure and when I woke up back in hospital room I wasn't sure they had done anything as there was zero discomfort or pain. Nothing form the 5 catheter insertion points, 4 in groin and 1 in neck. Amazing after everything I had read online about other peoples experiences I was ready for discomfort/pain etc. Put me on 25 mg Atenenol once a day and 150 mg Pradaxa twice a day.Said no exercise for 10 days. Now running here 3 miles a day at 6,000 and heart rate gets into 115 range. When I wake up in am my blood pressure is 130/90 and heart rate in 80-83 but settles down in 30 min to 123/78 and HR 68. Can still feel missed and skipped beats and palpitations that go for 3-4 beats but they said all this is normal. If you have to have an ablation, go to the best!! This team was mind boggling. Good luck and thanks for reading! Oh, and no alcohol for 10 weeks. They used to tell you "no coffee" but a recent article (you can google) by the Canadian Journal of Cardiologists January 7, 2014  said a very long study involving 248,000 people that showed no correlation between coffee and atrial fibulation and in fact, code may prevent fibrosis.
I am a 44 year old female, and I had my ablation done on February 19th for Atrial Fib.  I was expecting it to be very minor but it was not.  The doctor ablated 164 places in my heart.  I thought this number was extremely high....does anyone else know of someone having this many?  I was in ICU that night and stayed in the hospital several more days, was released on the 22nd.  One of the main reasons for the long stay was the medication they put me on - 160mg of Sotalol - has to be very closely monitored to see how you tolerate it.  I did well.  Also, because they were working so close to my digestive system and esophogus they put me on stomach meds for a month.  The blood thinner they put me on was $300 WITH my insurance, which was just staggering....I felt pressure in my chest, and was told it was because my heart was swollen.  I was winded, and still get easily winded.  At my followup on the 27th the doctor told me it was normal and that due to the amount of ablations my recovery would be a little slower.  I am truly hoping for success.  I quit smoking before the procedure, gave up Mt Dew and caffeinated beverages and am eating healthy.  I see this as my second chance and I want to do it right.  Still feel tired but hoping that goes away soon.....
To tell the truth, this thread was kind of centered around SVT as opposed to AFib.  Perhaps if you started a new thread with a title concerning AFib, you'd get a response from the AFib folks. I had an ablation for SVT with 17 burns which is considered a lot.  Even with that amount, I felt the "heart ache" for a week or so following. 164 burns sounds staggering to an SVT'er but perhaps is common for someone with AFib.
Thanks to all contributing to this site.  Reading everyone's experiences has helped me understand what is "normal" after ablation and stopped me from panicking too much.

I'm a 49 year old woman living in the UK and I had my catheter ablation for paroxysmal SVT on March 5th (10 days ago).  

Prior to the procedure I had only had two noticeable PSVT episodes, 6 months apart, for which I had a heart rate of 230-250 beats per minute and required adenosine to get down to a normal rhythm.  (I may have had previous mild episodes which resolved spontaneously, so at the time I put there raised heart rate down to stress and too much caffeine.) I had a few months on Verapamil before the ablation which had some unwanted side effects, so I was more than prepared to have the procedure as I did not want to live the rest of my life on these drugs if I could help it.

I was fortunate that my actual ablation procedure was only 1 hour long as there was only one ablation site required, for AVNRT ( I was expecting a 3 - 4 hour procedure).  I was awake for the whole procedure and although it was uncomfortable and I could feel the catheter wires enter the heart, the burning sensation of the ablation etc, it was bearable.  I was also thankful to be able to talk to the surgeon and ask questions to understand what was happening.  The post op period on the ward was 4 hours and I was back home the same evening.

The first couple of days post op were fine with the slight pain in the chest, odd flutters and the groin pain from the catheter insertion. 3 days later got diarrhoea - probably bug picked up.  This resolved within a day.  5 days after procedure I experienced some pins and needles down my left arm and left hand.  Had this all checked out (in CCU for observation for one night) and heart rhythm was fine, pulse and BP normal.  Diagnosed as pinched nerve due to muscle stress in shoulders.  Then got light headed with sensation of blocked ears and effect of vision.  Again BP and heart rate normal.  Diagnosed with sinus infection.  Now when I sleep (10 days after procedure) I feel my heart skip a beat (as if an SVT is trying to trigger but not managing to).  It's causing my sleep to be affected and I'm more anxious at night.  During the day I feel okay because I'm not focussing on it.  I think anxiousness comes with the post op effects because you don't really know what the healing process involves.  I had hoped recovery would be faster but then it seems variable from everything I've read here and I just need to be patient - not that easy though is it?

Thought I'd share my experience as reading everyone else's helped me.