Heart Rhythm Community
Rapid and Strong Heart Beat

This patient support community is for discussions relating to heart rhythm issues, arrhythmia, irregular heartbeat, implanted defibrillators, pacemakers, and tachycardia.

Rapid and Strong Heart Beat

I am 20 years old and for the past couple of years have been having episodes of really strong rapid heart beats that come at random. It is not after exercise or at night or morning, just at random. They are not very often, but have gotten to be more frequent lately. Some last roughly 20 minutes while other times its just a few seconds. The last long episode that I had, I took my heart rate and it was around 180 beats/minute. I can feel me heart beating throughout my whole body and I feel very constricted. Recently, they have only been a few seconds but I can feel my heart beating very very hard and fast. There is a history of heart disease, my father had a heart attack at the age of 42 and required a triple bypass. I'm nervous because of the history that there could be something wrong. I haven't had any tests done, but I'd like to know what this is and if I should be concerned or get checked out by a doctor?
Hi, I have been having some symptoms like yours lately. However yours are a little different. From what I have learned here on this forum is that if you have a structurally normal heart  and do not have any heart disease your arrythmias would not be something to dwell on. However, you should go see your physician and get a checkup or maybe speak to a cardiologist. Many times people with get arrythmias because they are using stimulants like cold and flu medicines, drinking alcohol, products with caffeine such as sodas, coffee, and choclate. Getting a checkup done is always best becuase it can give you insight if there even is a problem and what to do about or even better relieve you of your worries. Another thing of advice is to watch your diet. Sometimes changes in diet can influence arrythmias. Try to eat healthy . Good luck and take care.
Regarding heart conditions i've been experiancing randon extreamly strong heart beats that have even shaken my chest this doesnt happen extreamly often but it does cause consern. When it does happen it every 5-10 minutes and usually when I'm going to sleep or i only notice it during these periods. Any ideas?
I've been getting the same random periods of rapid and really strong heart beats since I was at least 10 years old. I'm only 17 now but they've gotten worse and more frequent lately and it's starting to freak me out. I don't know what to do.
It sounds like you possibly have an svt.  A rapid heart beat caused by an extra muscle fiber in your heart.  In a structurally healthy heart if the episodes resolve quickly and you don't have them all too often like a couple of times a month or more than you are likely not in any real danger healthwise.  However the condition does not correct itself so at some point now or in the future if the episodes become more frequent and they start to disrupt your life then you may want to think about an ablation to correct the issue.  If you have avnrt like I had it is one of the easiest of svts to fix with a very low complication rate.  That said, you should get to a doctor to get looked at to make sure there isn't anything more serious going on.  Odds are there isn't but it is best to get this properly diagnosed so you know what you are dealing with and what next steps you should take.  Take this seriously because you don't want to let a rapid heart rate continue on for hours but try to not worry when the episodes do happen because you aren't likely in an immediate mortal danger but again do get this evaluated so you know first and foremost that your heart is generally healthy.  If it turns out it is, which likely it will, then it is just a matter of getting the extra fiber fixed at some point.  There are a lot of people here who have been through it so if you have any other question you might want to start a new thread.  You will likely get better responses to you personally that way.  Take care and keep us posted on how you are doing.