Heart Rhythm Community
Rapid heartrate/high blood pressure after eating

This patient support community is for discussions relating to heart rhythm issues, arrhythmia, irregular heartbeat, implanted defibrillators, pacemakers, and tachycardia.

For the past several years I have noticed that after eating food (which ranges from just a cup of milk to a full meal) that my heart rate and blood pressure increases significantly about 30 minutes after eating, and it lasts for about  one and 1/2 hours to two hours.  This occurs about 50% of the time after eating.  My heart rate goes from ~75 bpm up to 140 bmp (max todate), and the blood pressure goes from 130/80 up to 180/102 (max to date).  Note: I am borderline hypertensive and take 20mg of lisinopril a day. I have attempted to determine if there is a particular type of food, or food additive that might trigger the symptoms, and have noticed the symptoms always occur when I eat peanut butter or the snack crackers that are sold in vending machines, and will occassionally happen when I eat homemade macroni and cheese.  Other that these foods, I can find no relationships.  I can have a cup of milk one morning and get the symptoms, then have a cup the next day from the same gallon and have no symptoms.  I have had several tests in the hospital - stress test, sonogram of the heart, gastronomic tests - with no results.  Of course the tests were not conducted just after eating, so I was not exhibiting the symptoms.  Do you have any thoughts on what might be causing this?
Hi!

If someone were to present to me with these symptoms (I work in the field of emergency medicine) I would certainly not be concerned with your relationship between eating and a raise in BP / Pulse.

When you eat food, the organs involved with digestion (the stomach, intestines etc.) require considerably more blood than normal. This of course diverts blood away from other major organs (the heart, brain and lungs etc.) Because of this the body has to work harder to meet the bodies demand for oxygen and increases the BP and pulse to account for it. This is why after eating a big meal people often fall asleep becuase the extra energy demands on the body cause tiredness.

You say that it can last up to two hours? This is about the same time as it takes for the stomach to do its bit and allow the food through to the intestines, so that reinforces my thoughts.

Some people may notice no change.... But then these people dont necessarily take their BP and pulse after each meal! Second to that, the differences in pulse / BP after eating will vary from person to person and since you are borderline hypertensive, I would say it all sounds pretty normal.

I would imagine that the tests you've had done have been carried out in relation to your general hypertension and not specific to your observations regarding eating.

I'll finish off though as always do by saying I hope this puts your mind at rest somewhat, but if you're concerned, pop back in to see the Doc!
hi i was reading ur post and i to experience the same exact thing, i also work in a emergency setting as well as the guy that commented last, and i have asked doctor after doctor, and the guy above seemed to hit it on the nose, what i was told that some people notice there heart rates increase and some dont that one can notice a 10 beat difference while the next person couldnt notice a 40 beat difference, also have you been checked for ulcers in ur stomach, they also can cause this after eating, bc when the food goes to the stomach and the food hits an ulcer it stimulates the vagus nerv which can cause ur heart rate to go up there is different things that could cause it but my personal oponion that i have came up with is just like the last guy said during digestion those organs need more blood and only one way to do that is for the heart to pump harder i have been to the er multiple times for this and it is always just sinus tach my got up to 165 bpm one time it is scarey but in a healthy heart harmless take care and hope it feels better
Just a quick one for you tank2003.....

Vagus nerve stimulation causes Bradycardia (slowing of the heart). It is part of the Parasympathetic nervous system. This is why Carotid Massage often works to slow an SVT /  Sinus Tachycardia so not sure where that info came from about it speeding things up?!?!
just a quick note bloke1981 the information comes from multiple text books and research as well as the cleveland clinic check the web site out the vagus can cause multiple things to happen, as well as the slowing and speeding of the heart, i am no doctor but i am educated, i would doubt that one of the leading heart centers in the world would give false information but im no doctor try researching it that might help
Indeed other things can happen when the Vagus nerve is affected. Stimulating it causes Bradycardia, depressing it causes Tachycardia..... amongst other systemic responses.

For instance, Adrenaline stimulates the sympathetic nervous system, thus speeding up the heart. Atropine has the same effect, speeding up the heart but rather than doing it by directly stimulating the sympathetic nervous system, it does it by blocking the Parasympathetic nervous system (the one that slows it down).

The two nervous systems in effect balance each other out, however, the Parasympathetic system is slightly dominant keeping things calm, rhythmic and controlled. Blocking it makes the sympathetic nervous system dominant, without physically exciting it, speeding things up.....

It gets very complicated so I'll leave it there except to say it depends in which way the Vagus nerve is involved as to the effect..... But as a rule, it slows things down.

In any case, regardless, its more than likely a normal thing that budgetguy is experiencing.
hey bloke1981 i would like to apologize for sounding argumentive, in no way was i trying to be, i was just reading over it and to mee it seemed like i was trying to argue with you and i just wanted to let you and budgetguy that in NO way was that my intention i know this is a great forum for proplr to find some none medical proved answers and like at the beginning i would like to apologize to you both thank you and i agree with you what is feeling is prolly normal from our stand point, have a great evening and god bless thank you
I have a similar condition - I found your post in my search for answers and there's not too much I can find on this one.

More and more I've noticed that after eating dinner (my largest meal of the day) my pressure elevates and my HR goes up. A quick flight of stairs or minimal extra exertion quickly boosts the condition.

It's kind of scary when I feel it happen and hope that the dismissal of it being serious is correct for both our sakes. I rarely see my cardiologist because I too have passed all heart related tests swimmingly, but you always have to be concerned about these things. This is my first question for my next visit.

If anyone knows of further info they can direct me to, I would appreciate it.
I have the same problem, but have had IST for years and recently HBP.  I'v had to quit all coffee, tea, soda, everything with caffeine but still whenever I eat fast foods or salty foods my HR raises.  Even after changing my diet and taking beta blockers, at times my heart rate raises when I eat, so I never use table salt and try to determine exactly what foods cause this.  What I'v found is that the salty foods cause this more so than the bland foods, and especially restaurant food (for me), but after years of having IST, I think that some of us just have faster heart rates.  I don't know how true that is but I was told there is not much I can do about my heart rate.  
wonder why this post popped up without a reply?

Anyways, my guess to budgetguy is that you could me lactose intolerant.

I just read your post from last Nov about your high bp and fast hr after eating.

Just wanted to say, I have the exact same problem. Here's some info:

I'm just 34 years old and I'm in good health. I was running 10 miles a week and taking only 2 meds (thyroid and PPI for reflux) and my bp was normally 100/60.

Then one day I bought a blood pressure machine for my wife. I decided to use it on myself to show her. It was just after I had a large meal, and to my surprise, my blood pressure was 200/105. I nearly soiled my pants after seeing this number twice.  
I lived near the mayo clinic in AZ so I drove to the ER as fast as possible (in hindsight this was stupid because panic just made it go higher). They kicked me out of the ER with a beta blocker after 2 hours, and my bp was around 150/95. They said I had anxiety. Actually this incident caused anxiety! The next week I was put on 50mg of Toprolol XL (I'm still taking this and it helps a lot).

Since the first episode over a year ago, I have noticed that every time I eat a high protein meal like chicken, whole milk, eggs, peanut butter, etc, my bp would go high.

I have had a $30k checkup including adrenals, two MRIs (abdomen, brain), CT scans, x-rays, stress tests, ultrasounds of aorta and carotids, echocardiograms, so many blood tests I could have filled a donation bank's freezer, and after all this I was left wondering - after seeing four cardiologists, 8 emergency rooms, etc., WHY THE HECK was my blood pressure going through the roof after big meals. I actually developed a panic / anxiety issue BECAUSE of this! Now I'm on beta blockers primarily because of the aftereffects of this mess.

I have spent so many hours in front of the computer trying to research this, it is crazy. I have no medical background so it has been really tough to sort through all the info, but I think there is a connection with the vagus nerve, reflux, etc. and some of this is just normal. Some medical books say it is normal for BP to go up even 50 mmHg after eating a meal for some people.

Things I have found that help, are:

1. Take a PPI like Aciphex.
2. Eat small meals frequently and don't eat after 7pm.
3. Reduce stress and anxiety or don't eat when stressed.
4. When your stomach is fired up, drink Ensure for a week with no solids, to rest your stomach (worked for me twice).
5. Don't eat food too high in fat or protein.
6. Keep your thyroid in check (TSH). When my TSH is high things get worse.
7. Drink plenty of fluids during the day.

I don't know if it is dangerous to have BP being up to ~190/100 or so for a couple of hours,... it causes me a lot of anxiety just thinking about it and my cardiologist had no opinion on this question. I guess its normal for some people, and I know that weight lifters get up to 300/200. So anyway.. I guess if everyone checked their BP after eating there would be more posts here :-)
I'm glad I found these posts.  I was recently admitted for afib, and am now on Flecainide and Dilziatem to control it.  So I have been watching both my pulse and blood pressure ( sometimes incessantly )  
A few times recently after eating I felt a little dizzy, so of course checked my BP and went into panic.  It is normally around 117/79 or even less.  Then one day after feeling this way I checked it.  This was right after dinner, and before taking my evening dose Flecainide.  My pulse was 77 and my  BP was 142/95  it scared the hell out of me.  Then later on in about an hour or two, it went back down to normal.  I almost had someone take me to emergency.  I told my cardiologist, and he put me on a holter monitor. 'Then today I had a stress test.  I won't get the results for awhile.  However this post makes me feel a bit less panicky.

I have high blood pressure too. What Bloke1981 has explained is entirely true. In april 2009 I was rushed to the ER for a rapid heartrate after eating, 133 bpm. After ondergoing several test I was diagnosed (may 2009) with mild mitral valve prolapse with mild regurgitation. Since then I am on beta blockers, Nebivolol (Bystolic) for tachycardia. before that my resting heartrate was around 80/90. Now my heart rate is around 55-70. After two months of taking the med I am very happy beacuse I do not get the rapid heartrate anymore after eating and my high blood presure is also under control.

My message to you is: Do not panic. A bloodpressure of 142/95 is not normal but it is not dangerous after eating. Been there a lot of times. I will suggest that you discuss this with your dr. Also watch yor diet, cut back on sodium, exercise, drink a lot of water, use supllement like magnesium etc.

I wish you al the best,
Amethyst
Thanks for your feedback.  I had a stress test yesterday, as well as having a holter for 24 hours prior.  I had told the doc about the episodes, but he said nothing.  Then today I got a call from his office.  He wants to see me.  Although I fear the worst, I hope he has good news.

Ken
HI,

Good luck and let us know what the dr told you.

Amethyt
I too have had these problems. I'm 43 and have been diagnosed in the past with borderline hypertension. After I eat salty junk food; fries, hamburgers, chips etc, even soda and beer would trigger my heart rate and blood pressure to increase. For me, I felt my body was telling me "What the hell did you just put in me, I don't like it". I wasn't fat, only about 25 pounds or so overweight. I'm 5'10 and weighed 188 at the time.

This experience has been life changing.

I made an appointment soon after with my doctor to discuss this and he quickly prescribed 25mg of Toprol. I measured something like 138/80. He didn't ask me what my lifestyle was. He didn't suggest any changes to my diet. He didn't even ask me what I ate in a given day. I knew though that I didn't want to take drugs for the rest of my life unless I absolutely had to. It's expensive AND can be unhealthy in the long run.

I knew I could use more exercise and a better diet. So I decided to take the Toprol he gave me yet would only take half while I exercised and ate better. He only gave me one months worth of pills insuring that I'd have to make more appointments to get more medicine. This actually worked well and my blood pressure dropped. Each time I saw him though he felt I needed to increase my Toprol dose. Upon questioning his reasoning, he said he wanted to improve my blood pressure just a little more. I've always had a borderline condition, since I was 18 I told him. No matter, he increased my dose to 50mg and then eventually to 100mg a day. Once again I took only half the pill and continued to exercise. I never did take any of the 100mg pills as I had plenty of half-pills left.

I felt he really didn't want me to get better, but get addicted instead. I've read all the warnings on Toprol. "Don't suddenly stop taking this drug" and the knowledge that it may (will) cause impotence stand out. There's a reason why the pharmacist whispered this to me. Yes, this was embarrassing, especially given the fact that the pharmacist was an attractive woman. It emboldened me further to continue exercising and get off Toprol.

On following visits to my doctor, my blood pressure was taken. Each time it was a little lower. Each time also he recommended an increase in my dosage, the highest up to 100mg. I resisted each time and felt I could use his knowledge without giving up my say in what dose of medicine I would agree to take. It was my body. My last visit to him I measured 117/70. I wasn't taking Toprol any more, not for 3-4 months. I told him so but don't think it sank in or maybe didn't hear me, I'm not certain.

A year later ... I still exercise. I still crave fast food, chips and beer and give in sometimes *smiles*. Many times I feel the same old symptoms. Not as much though and never as severe. A reminder of what my body dislikes. I've dropped down to 173 lbs and know within a year I'll be at my goal of 160ish. I look better. I feel better.

While I don't advocate ignoring a doctor's advice if you have a life-threatening condition, I do suggest you not be lazy and complacent.  Take control of your life and body.  Eat right and exercise.

As for my exercise program I've developed for myself ... Do things your comfortable with and can afford. "It's not a diet, its a lifestyle change". For me it was doing military things ... push-ups, sit-ups, squats, and pull-ups along with a curl bar. The magic bullet here was my treadmill I purchased. A $450 unit that I put a DVD player in front of. Its amazing how fast a 42 minute walk can pass. I plan on doing this till the day I die, which I'm pretty sure is a long ways off.

I wish you all good luck in duplicating my success.
Such a relief to read these posts.  I have been having problems with sudden rapid increases in heart rate for around 3 months.  Have had numerous blood tests (all okay) and although my bp is around 160-180/90, my doctor seems no terribly worried.  Am going on a 24-hour heart monitor next week.  I noticed that my raised heart rate is generally in the evening.  I sort of wondered if that was because I was less busy in the evening and therefore noticed it.  But also suspected it might be related to food.  Had a suspicion it was either too much sugar, too much salt, too much fat or not enough water.
This morning I am not at work and after being too lazy to get a proper lunch, had a small handful (seriously only about 9 or 10) cachou nuts with a savoury coating.  Not long later, my heart rate was up to 100 and also seemed to be much more forceful.  A large glass of water seemed to bring it down fairly quickly (but this doesn't always work).  Decided to research on the web yet again but this time asking what foods cause increased HR rather than just what causes increased HR which gives thousands of reasons.  Am now determined to do as many of you suggest and stay off salty and articficially flavoured foods, fatty foods and nuts.
Will see what effect that has.  Certainly can't get anyone professional to agree that it has anything to do with sugar, but think I'll try to keep that to a minimum too.
Yep, did the same for me with Cheez-Its way back.
I too am glad to have found this group.  My med history started with HBP about 7 yrs ago, and controlled with meds.  Then just over a yr ago I developed bradycardia (slow heart rate)  and had a pacemaker implanted.  One yr later when they interrogated the pacemaker, it was discovered that I had A-fib (rapid fluttering of the atrium).  Since I didn't tolerate any beta blockers, I had the procedure, ablation, done.  Since then, I have had no A-fib and my blood pressure is normal... EXCEPT after I eat, especially large or meals high in carbs.  And since I am now so tuned into my heart, I feel the increase rate and occasional missed beat. I also experience a heaviness almost to the point of pain in my chest.  My cardo doc thinks it is panic attacks.  I am also type 2 diabetic, controlled with diet, exercise and meds.  I am wondering if this new symptoms could possibly be related to an insulin rush.  I have an appointment in a month with an endocrinologist, maybe she will have some insight.  But it is nice to know that I am not alone.
WelshTrader
I want to thank all  who share their experiences in groups like these. These real time experiences and suggestions are very helpful, especially in those moments when you really need some words of comfort.  The answers and suggestions here work like magic.  I want to share my experience here.
In 2007 I after watching several ads on TV, I went to see a cardiologist, who said I have hypertension and prescribed 50/12.5 hyzaar.  I should exercise and take this tablet everyday.  Until this point, I did not have a regular primary care doctor visits, and was never worried that I had any health problem.  I was not exercising regularly from 2005 and mostly stuck to my chair at work.  After taking Hyzaar for a few weeks I started feeling very good and I stopped taking any medication.  
Then it all started in 2008, after having a meal around 6.00pm at a fast food place (after having skipped lunch), while I was driving my breathing became heavy with a bloating sensation in the stomach.  A few minutes later, I had a tingling sensation in my left arm and in the palm. I tried to rest for a few minutes in the car parking on the road side. I had a feeling that I was having a heart attack.  I called 911 and in the ambulance, my blood pressure was at 180+ (did see the other readings).  They asked to calm down, which I could not and demanded that they take me to emergency.  Somehow, I felt that they did not think it was necessary.  In the emergency room, I think the doctor gave me something to calm down and at around midnight they did some tests and at about 3 am they said I was fine and I just had a panic attack.  I thought I was going to die.  But then they discharged me at 4 am.  I got into a taxi to go to my car and drove home.  
I was really worried and refused to believe that I am ok.  I made an appointment with a cardiologist.
I told him that I stopped taking my medication and I did not exercise as well.  I was 37 then.  I am 5'10" and was at 185lb.  They did the regular checkup and the doctor said that I should take the medication and must exercise.  I should not worry too much about work.  I was surprised that I was ok and then I narrated the above incident and the reason I came to see him.  He was surprised and then ordered that I should take a Stress test.  The test probably went ok, but then he ordered glucose tests.  The nurse who did the tests, I was Ok, but, the glucose tests showed sugar levels a little bit higher than they should be.  They then recommended that I see a primary health care doctor.  This doctor is the best I have seen so far.  The blood tests showed that I was low on Vitamin B, zero Iodine, very low Vitamin D (which gives shooting pains in the heart area).  I was given shots for Vit B, Vit D capsules, Iodoral for Iodine along with increased dosage of Hyzaar and a strong pills for Diabetes.  Three months later, my vitamins levels were good, iodine content was good but I was not feeling good at all.  I had blood in my stools.  I had to see another doctor in the same clinic, who saw all the information about my situation on the computer notes, said that I may be having side effects with the tablets for diabetes and changed the medicene.  
During this entire period, there was no change in my condition related to bloating.  I continued to see blood in my stools.  I was not eating well.  I get dehydrated and lost weight.  Lost interest in work and in general feeling very dull.  I wake up in the middle of the night with a racing heart.  Another visit to the doctor resulted in a check for hemorrhoids and of course,  more medicines.   I started feeling high pulse rates during the day as well.  One of the emergency visits, ECG revealed no problem.  Because of the emergency nature I see doctor#3, who thought that it may be a good idea to get an x-ray on my stomach.  
This and continued reading of the posts and some research on the internet gave me an idea that I should see a doctor for gastroenteritis.  Here I was given Aciphex which worked like magic for bloating problem.  But because I mentioned about blood in my stools, I was asked to undergo tests for ulcers, cancer etc.  None were detected.
I had to see the primary care doctor every 3 months for blood tests as a insurance requirement to monitor my health status.  The doctor was very particular about using medicines for diabetes, blood pressure and bunch of other medicines in the high dosages recommended.  
I decided to attack the problem.  I made some changes to my diet, started walking almost every day, made sure that I was drinking water more frequently and upon a friend's suggestion stopped taking the pill for diabetes.  In the subsequent two blood test over a period of six months, my sugar levels were normal.  During my next visit, I confessed to the doctor I stopped taking the diabetes pill.  The doctor was not overly surprised and was happy that my sugar levels were under control.  
After this I was treated for a type of spondylosis (cant remember the name), went for physiotherapy, took medicines for H Pylori etc.  
After 16 months of all these medicines and treatments, several gallons of blood tests, I was asked by the doctor to stop taking all the medicines except the pill for blood pressure.  I still have a racing heart especially after eating, sometimes in the middle of the night, still have bloating stomach after eating.  I dont eat certain foods that I think give me this feeling, which helps me some days.  I am walking more regularly.  I feel good most of the days, but whenever my heart races I dont feel good.  I am addicted to checking my blood pressure very often.  I skipped a few more details to keep it as short as possible.

Reading the posts such as here helps me a lot in dealing with my situation.  I still have the racing heart and rise in BP after eating.  I am trying to deal with it mentally.  I do not think any doctor has a cure for it.   Doctors do not think that I have any life threatening problem (or any problem for that matter).  Anxiety/panic attack is very hard to take out of your mind.  I feel that eating right and regular exercise are the best one can do for oneself to feel and live better.    I am going to search for alternative means like yoga/meditation or may be something like mind training exercise to get the feeling of being sick out of my mind.  Hopefully I will find some way to get out of this situation.  

go to a fib help and read my comments they will help you. Metroprolol is the best med for high blood pressure.
I'm 30 and I also have this problem.  I was having some digestive problems as well As the heart and bp symptoms, so I decided to see my Gastoenterologist.  She did a colonoscopy and an upper endoscopy and found inflammation in my small intestine.  I was cleared for Celiac's Disease but becuase some of my antibodies were high I think it was IgA, she said I was probably sensitive to gluten.  I've been limiting my gluten to a very small amount for 2 weeks and my digestive problems have basically gone.  I accidentally ate a sandwich at a party today that made my stomach hurt and also gave me the rapid heartbeat and high blood pressure.  I'm not sure if those symptoms would be related to the gluten sensitivity or not, but I have seen almost an elimination in symptoms since I started limiting the gluten.  I try not to eat anything with anything in the ingredients that have wheat.  The majority of things that include gluten are pastas, breads, cereals, and breaded meats. You can still have other grains and starches like oatmeal, corn, potatos, and rice.  
having read all posts I feel I have had the same problem but my heart felt like it was comming out of my chest ! This has happend about 10 times over ten years but I always felt it was because I drank to much.(only beer not spirits). once after I ate dominos pizza, also feels like cold fresh air in deep breaths helps bring my heart back to normal but make no mistake each time I felt that I was a dying!
This week I went on a gluten free diet and never felt better. More energy, clear headed and my heart rate is way down. usualy after my day of pizza, subs and beer my heart rate would be at least 95 beats per min. Now after a salad with chicken and my wine its about 78. Also I didnt nearly keel over today after my mile run(I usualy get all kinds of pains in my chest and sholder) but rather felt great! I'm 40 and 197pounds. thanks to all whose comment I read.
i've had related issues. it all started about 3 yrs ago when i taken a colon cleanser. my heart rate and bp elevated. i was in and out of the er. with panic attacks. i went to a heart dr and he gave me a few test, ekg, holter moniter, echo cardio gram, blood work then put me on a beta-blocker. this made it worse so i stopped taking them i tried getting in contact with the heart dr and his office pretty much blew me off. either because i was young or i had no insurance.   anyways i went to another heart dr and he gave me stress test and tilt table test. stress test was fine but my tilt table showed that my heart rate jumped from about 73 to 133 in 3 secounds. come to find out i have POTS(postural orthastatic tachacardia syndrome). i think that all this has givin me a panic disorder over all this time not including some of the stress thats in my life.       To conclude i didn't see anything about a tilt table test or POTS  in any of the other post as i was skimming through them, so i thought i would throw this out there. maybe some can relate. good luck to all                                              
That is the best response I've heard thus far--I've been dealing with this since I was 25...it sort of set in suddenly during a very stressful period of my life. It seems that certain foods bring it on and I notice it without any monitors of any kind, just in my own chest cavity. It's very annoying but I've come to realize over the years that it's nothing life-threatening. I had all the heart tests done and nothing came up abnormal. For me, peanut butter, muffins, juice--those kinds of super high fat/sugar things bring it on. I just try to eat peanut butter in small amounts and I've stopped muffins and juice all together.

The digestive solution you presented is very informative. Thank you!
Read up on Pheochromocytoma (benign tumor of the adrenal gland) and Tyramines (amino acid products in food) and foods containing them that trigger very high blood pressure and very rapid heartbeat.  Simple initial test can be done to rule out this condition.   Symptoms appear after eating foods containing tyramines (there are a lot of them -such as anything fermented like wine, beer, etc or aged cheeses, yeast, avocados, plums, on and on).   I haven't seen anything mentioning this condition which is supposedly not common.  However, a lot of posts about these symptoms.
dee155
You may want to check out " gluten sensativity". Your post seems to relate to food allergy.
This condition has gotten significantly worse for me when under stress and anxiety.  When I'm not under stress I don't notice it or barely notice it.  I was thinking of eating no solids for a week or so, so I think I'll take your advice on drinking Ensure to give my stomach a rest.
Stress may have something to do with your condition.
I have this same problem. My heartrate will go up when i eat too much, and my blood pressure will go up if i eat the wrong foods.

I am now only eating brown rice, eggs, as well as some pasta and potatoes. I can't eat anything with soy in it, I don't know what to do anymore. I have wore the heart monitor and everything was fine.

If i watch what i eat my BP is fine..125/70 or lower. If i eat the wrong foods by BP will go up to 160/100. I also have to pee a lot when this happens which i know is my bodies way of getting rid of the sodium. I am at a lost on what to eat. I can't get past 125. I should be around 130.

If i eat fruit it goes up, bread, milk, any fast food. I need help..lol
I also have episodes where my bp soars, 180/110 and I get  the shakes and have to pee every ten minutes. This comes out of the blue but I have worked out that certain things I eat can do it but it isn't the type of food its the chemicals in the food that goes into the production. Potatoes for instance absorb chemicals because they defoliate for harvesting and that must be absorbed - some chicken also because although they deny adding hormones the feed they use contains all sorts of additives. Anyway, I've been through the mill with this and when it happens we just have to wait it out, it stops when its ready and apparently does no lasting harm. Drs tell me that occasional spikes in bp are nothing to worry about.
On the vegus nerve, a 'vegus reaction' can cause rapid hearbeats and high bp spikes. I know because I've had them for years. Sorry to all those who don;t believe it but you're wrong.
take it easy
Lots of interesting post on this site and thanks to all for sharing; I am sitting here reading all these post at 3am with not only the high blood pressure but also feeling a little short of breath. Exercise regularly and have a good diet most of the time. Tonight I ate restaurant a little after 8pm and also a little spicy so I woke up checked my BP and it was 160/95 and like I said the shortness of breath also worried me. Any feed back on this? I am thinking anxiety, indigestion, only a small amount of reflux as far as I can tell. Thanks again for all the Intel it is a blessing. God Bless  
It is natural for your Blood Pressure (BP) to go up after eating and how much is does depend on what you had. However, it should return to its norm a few hours after. It also increase in exercise and on being startled and this is ok. The problem with your BP being high, is when it is for a prolonged period of time. There are many complications that may occur (including a stroke) if not well managed. Your doctor weighs the risks of using a certain drug with the benefits thoroughly before prescribing it. I think however what you really would like to know is how to manage it naturally. 1) no tin foods 2) no cheese 3) beef and pork sparingly 4) lots of vegetables 5) strictly controlled portion size and overall daily food intake 6) consistent, regular exercise,  minimum 80 minutes per week 7) well balanced meals 8) no ice cream or chocolate 9) processed foods sparingly with added fiber from wheat germ for example 10) no dressings or gravies with food 11) minute amounts of herbs and spice instead of salt 12) sleep for more than 8 hours per day (basically until you wake) 13) bathe slowing with great smelling soaps/gels for 3 or more times per day, the aromatherapy relaxes and helps your BP and heart rate greatly 14) massage does too (go to the spa whenever you can) 15) drink enough water (this depends on the person but typically 1.5 - 2 liters) 16) get a natural multivitamin (or at least one with no colorings, flavorings or preservatives) 17) no frying or stewing 18) sunshine for 15 minutes, 2 times per day only before 9:00am and after 3:00pm 19) pray to God, it is a form of emotional release (emotional tension increases BP) and He heals. In one to two months your BP should be (likely to be) in a normal, healthy range. You should vow to do this for the rest of your life if you want to be healthy in a general sense. You might not need to see another doctor until your 90's when you develop a pneumococcal infection from natural aging.
The shortness of breath (dyspnea) is likely due to your BP. You should work on bringing it down. The hemoglobin in your blood is not operating at maximum or at an adequate saturation with oxygen to supply your tissues. As an immediate, short term remedy, practice deep breathing. It will lower BP and heart rate a bit and will relieve the dyspnea. Do more reading, have a balanced vegetarian diet for six (6) days and if there isn't a progressive decrease in BP up to the sixth day, see a General  Physician. After all, high BP could be caused by a plethora of conditions. Your GP will an assessment to look for the possible cause(s).
Hello! I have just noticed this problem in myself. I am a 21 year old female. I know I am young but a year ago I was rushed to the ER via Ambulance. In the ambulance I was cardioverted. I suffer from Paroxysmal Supraventricular Tachycardia. I went into this attack after taking my first dose of lisinopril. Apparently I am severely allergic to it. I was put on extreme amounts of diltiazem. I lived 7200 ft above sea-level. We took a trip to New Zealand and I was at sea level for a month. My heart started doing a lot better. We decided to move from Wyoming to West Virginia. I am now under 1000 ft above sea level. I have reduced the amount of pills I take by 3 times. So I have gotten better but I have now noticed that after I eat dinner, I got into an attack. My heart rate rises and I tach, my blood pressure also rises a lot. I can feel my heart beat in my head and if you look at my shirt, you can see it moving with my heart beat. I suffer from extreme anxiety due to the fact that I was awake when they cardioverted me last year. My heart problems really scare me. Now, my spouse is a CNA and records my bp and hr. They know it is high but she is scary to take me to the doctor as I dont want to be put on more medicine. But this hurts! I have never seen an actual cardiologist. Should I make an appointment with them first?
6 months back i was diagnosed with High Blood pressure. i went to the primary doctor and got prescription for tekturna after 3 weeks i noticed in the afternoon i had high bp and felt like heat coming out of my head. i rushed to the office happen to be close to where i work. the doctor suggested lisinoprl 10 mg and bystolic and suggested to see  cardiologist he changed the medicine to lisinopril 20 mg
for a while it was ok after 4 months i am having  same feeling like heat coming out of my face and bp increases from 9 am to 5 pm in the range of 165/90 and varies early in the morning and at night is in control 125/75/52 so i am trying to find out why its hapening. i called the cardiologists office but i never got a call back. one of my other friend who i work with suggested until i get to see the cardiologist i can take an extra pill ie 20 mg of lisinopril is 40 mg of lisinoprill ok any suggestions.
I have the same type of issues.  I've been researching this for myself for the past 3 years and have made good progress.  My doctor guides me since she hasn't the time for the research.  The biggest help has been to modify my diet.  I'm on a low glycemic diet. No white stuff, sugar or underground vegetables.  Also, for me, no fruit or vegetables with potassium.  I feel so much better.

My blood pressure doesn't just rise after eating, it spikes.  The following are the causes:

1.  Improper pH balance of the body - too acidic
The stomach can not make enough acid to digest food because the bodily fluids are too acidic which is very stresfull for the body.  This causes all kinds of problems.

2.  A condition called Adrenal Fatigue which is common with people in high stress situations, short or long term.  This condition causes potassium to build up in the body cells so when you eat anything with potassium and sugar in it, ie:  all fruit, juices and tomatoes, green and colored peppers, it will spike your blood pressure starting about a half hour after eating and lasting for 4 to 5 hours.  Here are some links that I found to be most helpful.
www.phionbalance.com, www.ayushveda.com and www.adrenalfatigue.org

Hope this helps.  I'm finding that these conditions usually involve more than one physical problem.  All involve stress and food.

Thanks for the information. i will check out those websites
I have the same symptoms as you , however, I have multiple food allergies and I only get these symptoms when I eat those foods that am allergic to. I describe it as the alarms (rapid heart rate) sounding off for the intruders (allergens).
Good luck!
Good luck!
I have had Afib start twice after over eating at lunch. Both times I needed a cardioversion.
I had been heathy and my heart was fine.
The episodes were three months apart.
I have not had any Afib other than these two episodes.
I am fairly confident it was the over eating that was the trigger.
Wow I am very glad to have found these posts as they have given me some food for thought. Since I was a young girl (16) I have experienced high heart rate 20-30 minutes after eating. My heart rate rises as high as 140 bpm. If I have the misfortune of being anywhere but home when this occurs and have to walk anywhere it is scary. My legs burn with muscle exhaustion from just walking, I can't even lift my arms to try and do anything because they feel as though they are filled with led. Worse is when I have an attack and it's hot outside, or I'm in the hot shower, because then I experience pain in my chest as well. I have gone to the doctors repeatedly, but when I was checked out I hadn't recently eaten, (hence no symptoms). One doctor prescribed an antacid, and a beta-blocker. My father also had identical symptoms. The doctors told my father it was acid reflux, and so for a year he too was taking prescribed antacids/inhibitors until one night he woke up with severe chest pains. Thirty minutes later he was dead. My father had told me many times that he'd had this problem since he was a young man. I even have an old family photo of him and my dad was the only one not smiling in the bunch, to which my dad told me one day "I was having one of our attacks, and wasn't feeling well." I worry that I too will meet the same fate as my dad. :(  Acid reflux...really?!
I too have a high heart rate after eating.  The vagus nerve gets irritated sending signals to the heart causing it to act up.  Antacids can help some.  That said, you may want to go and see a cardiologist for a workup of your heart if your father died of a heart condition just to establish if your heart is indeed structurally good.  And I might suggest eating right before you go so you have the symptoms as you get checked out.  In any event, try to not stress out about it too much.  The stress could be making your symptoms worse and bringing on the chest pain.  But go get a proper workup of your heart if you haven't already.  At that point you will then know if you need to take steps to ensure your health in the future or maybe a clean bill of health will help ease your mind and maybe even ease your symptoms.  Take care and keep us posted on how you are doing.
Same here notice my bp spikes from 124/70 to 162/90 after eating few hours later goes back to normal this is I also take quinapril 20mg daily and am 60 lbs over weight on the way down I might add .. So hopefully weight loss will bring me to normal without bp meds stay safe and god bless ...
This thread has been so helpful as I, like many of you, have been concerned about odd spikes in bp after eating. I am 44 year old female on no medication, about 30 pounds overweight, no history of heart or diabetes issues, normal bp 128/85. But what has been really freaky is past few weeks, starting an hour after eating and last a couple hours, I "feel" the blood pulsing in my ankles, legs and sometimes arms. An unpleasant sensation! Curious and freaked, I took my bp and wow it was up to 146/96 with a pulse over 100, and very tired. A few hours later, back down to normal. I also drink 2-3 glasses of wine at night which I suspect is not good to add to this equation....working to cut that as well as my 2-cups-a-day caffeine.
I've had this for years!!!!! So sorry you suffer with this but so glad I am not alone! I don't have mitro valve but I have regurgitating valves in my heart, my stomach has been checked so I have no issues there and I have terrible sinuses. One major thing I know I have is adrenaline fatigue because of my childhood and probably current circumstances but mostly I think it's from a history of anxiety in my life. Just things to think about.
Cut out the wine or cut back to just a single glass.  I have the same issue and can control most of it by cutting back on the wine.  Salt also does the same thing to me.  Peanut butter also contributes probably because it has lots of salt.

I had worsening afib and have had 4 procedures (ablations) to finally fix it.  But the rythm problems persist if I drink too much alcohol, eat too much salt, or spend too much time in a hot tub.

Be vigilant about your eating habits and control of body temperature.

Good luck.
What you say sounds rational in the circumstances but I wonder if your conclusions apply to me. I invariably have a sudden increase in BP not long after consuming small amounts of food (e.g. a pear, one enzyme tablet) in the morning after a 14 hour fast my BP increases from average 155/95 to 205/105 - (no significant increase in HR). This reaction happens after all meals, regardless of how much I consuume. Specialists say that I have no underlying problems (cardiologist, hypertension and renal specialist, MD's, etc, blood tests, cholestrol normal). I don't want to take medication as I believe the body wants to heal and I have to find out how to help it do this best. I exercise most days (walking and gentle tennis), have normal salt readings, eat healthy foods, have a low stress life (retired), don't smoke or drink, have plenty of social support. My creatinine reading is 132 (well above normal levels). My only obvious problem re. this disease is having to get up to pee at nights - no issue as I sleep very well. Any help will be much appreciated. Thanks, Rich_1
But after meal my blood pressure is pretty normal (comes down actually since my normal BP is high!) but pulse rate goes up! Why?
I had this problem.  Notice the past tense.  Foods with a high Glycemic Index rating were the big culprits, some of which would raise the BP for two or three days.  I knew that restricting my diet to carbs with a low glycemic index helped, but keeping the BP below 120/80 was a struggle.

MY conclusion was that I was insulin resistant, and when I ate, the infusion of glucose into my bloodstream raised my insulin, causing my BP to spike.

I fixed it.

For one week I ate no carbs, just a chicken breast for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.  Not a good long term diet, but I was after NOT stimulating the insulin production.

The next week I had the same meat, but added a cup of chopped, low glycemic index veggies: Broccoli, asperagus, cabbage, peas, onion, bell peppers, sweet peppers...

On the fifteenth day, it was like a breaking fever.  That day my pressure dropped to 116/77, and the weekly average has dropped steadily from 115/75 to 112/73.

I have had no high pressures in all this time, and while I have increased the amount of carbs to a cup and a half, plus a half tomatoe, it continues to stay low.

I even cheated once with strawberry shortcake.  Blood pressure "spiked" to 118/79.  Sure makes me feel good!
Forgot to mention:

My weight dropped five pounds during those first two weeks.  Not a lot, and not enough to cause the dramatic change in blood pressure.

And it has continued to drop by just over two pounds per week.

Yay!
I have been reading a lot about it but find that no treatment is yet found for it

I have been having the same problem for 3 years, But I could not make out why do I have a racing heart and high BP when I am active and all my cardiac Profile is normal. My HR after a meal goes up to 130bpm and a BP of 160/90.

I have problems when I wake up in the morning. Empty stomach : HR 118 and BP 160/100. But this happens sometimes. My Doctor put me on Beta Blockers 5mg a day. I am also hypertensive and I take losartan-H 50 mg a day.

I went into an Acute phase just a month ago after a symptom holiday of almost 6 months. It started with an upset stomach and a racing heart rate and high BP. But surprisingly it would subside for sometime after I used the Rest room.

This is when I discovered that the problem is related to my digestive tract. So I would  took 20ml of Aluminum  Hydroxide and surprisingly with in 5 minutes the symptoms would sup-side.

So I decided to treat myself with Ayurveda. On one of my visit to India I met an Ayurveda doctor, who told me a simple treatment which has no side effects and anyone can try it.

Every morning take a table spoon (heaped) of cumin seeds (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cumin) chew them and swallow them with a glass of water. He said the effect will start showing in 30 days. I have started it and I find my bowl movements improving and I do not get the racing heart rate after a meal many times. But I am taking it for only 10 days now.

And Yes ! He also said that if your situation is Acute add a tea-spoon  of carom ( Bishops weed) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ajwain) to the dose. I am just trying the cumin seed therapy and it seems to work but time will tell.

If you try this out please post your experiences here so that we all can make this problem solved.

Best wishes to every one
"Blessed are the gentle, for they shall inherit the earth"

Matt 5 :5 ( NLT)

Hi, I felt moved to compliment you with this scripture . May God Bless You !
I am sorry I could not post an update as I had lost track of this forum. I am fine and normal. I do not get any of the symptoms. I thank  Ayurveda for this simple and effective treatment.

I hope many others must have tried it too and are normal by now.

Best wishes

Ron
This is good post. I'm glad that people are willing to share the experience. I started experience this Anxiety and panic three years ago. I have been on paxil of 20 mg which I take only 15 mg. I  notice the high heart rate at the evening time. Like many said it affected quality life, i cannot even count how many Sundays I was tried, not able to sleep, fatigue during the service and work during the weekdays. By God's grace I have sailed through all this pain and suffering for years. I still have insomnia problem, which creates different spin to this stress and anxiety. I would stay the I have learned to understand and little bit more vigilant about stressful situation and not to take it into mind or personal. I have been prescribed with Diavon 80mg, Lunsta 2mg and I'm taking half or 1.5 mg of Lunsta depending on the state of day. Lately I have been trying to wean off the paxil and by some research I found anxietin natural medicine to get out of paxil. I'm trying this new medicine for the last two weeks and it is working good. By God's grace I will find some natural remedy for insomnia. Until then i just have to carry this cross and keep rejoicing. Like many wrote, I went to ER, Cardiologist, many doctor's appt to find out the underlying root cause. Everything came out negative. I'm very glad compared to three years ago and I feel like I crossed the red sea.  
...so, if i just had a meal, how many minutes or hours should I wait until i have my bp checked?
It really is a nice forum and give you some ideas. I read about HYZAAR  , that pill almost kill me , because my Doctor did not tell me , if you have to go to often to the bad room , you need potassium and  magnesium  ,That line never end. So I drop all BP  medicine and  use  Pycnogenol. . This is not an advise , but I will tell you what happening. I am 70 and still work hard every day. I start with 100 mg in the morning , it did get a little better , but one day I had o lot off stress and end up with 600 mg , and I was feeling like a new man. I reduce my cholesterol from 220 to 165  and  no hemorrhoids , the Eye doctor tell me  I need new glasses I see  better , I think he was joking ,but it was thru .no more pain in my knees ,it is unbelievable .,but don't expect changes after 4 weeks , it almost took me  2 years .I eat every morning my banana for potassium and 500mg Magnesium chloride (very bad taste ) and feel super . It is 5 times stronger than Aspirin and you will not have a bleeding in you stomach. Believe it is worth to try it  . Of course is my wife satisfied , but not with Hyzaar
I think the levels that US doctors go by for B12 needs to be re-evaluated. People with B12 levels between 200 pg/mL and 350 pg/mL (levels considered “normal” in the U.S) do show signs of B12 deficiency. Among other things, it could certainly give spikes in blood pressure after eating. Its worth looking into.
I also have this problem,but i was wondering  if alcohol can be so dangerous . When i drink my heart rate usaully stays the same or it doesnt beat as fast.
I have this condition too.

My resting BP is about 117/74, pulse 65 to 75.
This morning, after eating a bowl of low sugar/low sodium oat meal and a piece of toast buttered with low fat, low sodium spread, I was at 156/100 and pulse of 108.

1 1/2 hours after eating, now sitting at my desk at work I am now at 126/77 pulse 90.

Normally, after eating when my heart starts racing and my bp is up I do feel a tightness in my stomach, and I feel like I have asthma. I can breathe, its just tight/ bloated feeling in my stomach.

I have noticed that these symptoms, including the asthma feelings, ALWAYS seem to be brought on by eating or by acid reflux initially.

Numerous doctors say I don't have high blood pressure and my EKG looks great. They are puzzled why this happens Some have even claimed that maybe I was just having anxiety...though, usually I am not feeling anxious.

A regimen of Prilosec and anti- inflamatory meds seems to help, but it still scares the heck out of me because I never know what meal is going to cause it to happen. I have long suspected maybe the cause was in my stomach, but every doc just wants to move me on through so they can get to the next patient. Very frustrated.
Increase Heart Rate and BP After Every Meal- I think I have figured out that it may have something to do with my digestive system.  Doctor has put me on high-blood pressure meds.  He will check me in two weeks.  I will ask that he prescribe a colonoscopy  and other test that will look at my digestive system. I prefer not to keep hourly checks on my BP and heart rate-it tends to make me more anxious.  I am so amazed that so many has the same problem and most has not been able to get a diagnosis of what is causing it.  I will keep all posted with results of my test.
reply to my self "have" not has-sorry-I was writing really fast LOL
Cumin- I will try this
Aids Digestion

Although this flavorful spice has a long history as a treatment for indigestion in Indian households, medical research has just begun to suggest the benefits of cumin to the digestive system. A study on rats by researchers at Mysore University, published in the "Indian Journal of Medical Research" in 2004, found cumin useful for both dyspepsia and diarrhea. The spice appears to stimulate the liver to secrete more bile, which aids in the breakdown of fats and the absorption of nutrients, leading to healthier digestion. In the study, cumin increased bile secretion in the rats by 71 percent.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/415653-ground-cumin-health-benefits/#ixzz2dsJaquxA
Hello sshazzam , here is what I did : buy a Digital wrist blood pressure unit ,and  check the blood pressure even 5 or 6 times a day and write it
down , what you eat or what else you did . That give you personal Info
what you can do or not .It is not enough to measure once a year.I also did buy a test kit for Cholesterol HDL and whole , also diabetes test. If you get older , sometimes when you eat a lot of cake or sweet oat meal ,it will raise
BS  together with diabetes , even if you don't have it .Write it down , you learn. Be careful with multi vitamin , your body will not need all that stuff .
You need to drink at least 60 oz water in a Florida day , may be more depend on  your weight , 1 hour after a bottle of water , BP goes down .Like I wrote before , I live with Pycnogenol ,Magnesium Chloride and some Banana .I stay away from Pills and it work ,but not from today to tomorrow.
I have had some strange occurences. My worst one was after a weekend when I had drunk on 3 consecutive nights and had a late night. Got up the next day feeling awful and heart going too fast. Managed to calm it down by drinking water but after lunch it got so bad I had to call an ambulance. Had a heart monitor for a day, lots of ECGs but my heart seems okay.

Eveything was then okay so I thought it was a one off until 4 weeks ago. Did the three nights in a row thing with the alocohol and had another episode of heart raicng, feeling dizzy etc. This time water took it off a little, but ever since then I have had periodic dizziness, often after food though I cannot say if one thing is worse than another. I've stopped smoking or taking nictoine replacement (which I had been taking for 5 years - lozenges) I'm having an echochamber scan done on Friday, but I can't help thinking the problem is with my stomach, not my heart.
Hi all,
My problems started a couple of years ago when I ate a sandwich from Subway. I had eaten from there many times before without problems. I turned absolutely beet red within a few minutes of eating it and passed out. The person I was with called an ambulance and after spending the night in hospital where they did several heart and blood tests I was released with no explanation for what happened. This occurred 2 or 3 more times in the following months, each time I had eaten spicy food/ food with hot peppers on. I had eaten spicy food all my life, the hotter the better in fact so I could not explain it. I visited my doctor whose advice was rather basic - 'Dont eat spicy foods'.
Well, 2 years later I have cut out spicy foods completely but I still am having the same problem, albeit I am able to avoid the fainting part of the attack by lying down. I still turn bright red/purple, particularly in the neck and face, and can feel my heart pounding and my carotids throbbing, the attacks are usually followed by a headache. There is no particular trigger, although I have to say anything rich, greasy or acidic seems to do it. Also eating on a particularly hungry or empty stomach seems to increase the chance of it happening. I have not been able to take my BP during an episode but from what I feel it certainly feels like a large BP spike. Has anyone had reactions to the point where they pass out before?
Awesome!  I am inspired
Awesome!  I am inspired
Hi everyone,

I have the same BP increase and dizzy feeling after I eat.  I have borderline hypertension (though I think I will be going on some sort of medication after I see DR. next week) and this condition is extremely stressful which makes things way worse.  After about 2 hours the BP goes back down but the dizzy feeling continues. I also have Ringing in the Ears (Tinnitus) associated with this. I am pretty sure that salt causes this for me.  Even a very small amount causes me to feel weird.  I am so glad I ran across this post and found that others have the same problems and  I am not just crazy (as some have suggested I may be...TBH that could still be true haha).  

Googled this because I was having exact same issue. Glad to read everyones post. I am 53 and I do not have HBP nor am I diabetic but I am sedentary. (Use my brain like an Olympic athlete but not so much my body). I am going to try the smaller meals method and set my alarm on my phone to get up and move every 45 minutes. Am taking a high grade fish oil, Vit. E, Multi-vitamin (from a health food store) and thinking of adding Pantothenic Acid and Vit. C.  I am also doubling my effort to get outside for 15 minutes of sunshine for my Vit. D.
Thank you!!!!
I have increased BP after taking food especially rice. Salts and Chinese food.
I have also proteinurea and kidney stones.
I am taking telmesartan 20mg daily
I am 5 feet 10 inches high and weighs 64kgs I lost weight from 72 kgs to 64 within 6 months of time.
How to recover from this discomfort?
This could be an insulin resistance problem.  I know that I had slightly elevated BP due to insulin resistance, and after eating food with a high glycemic index (which will raise your insulin levels rapidly) my BP went up dramatically.  I changed my diet, "fixed" my insulin resistance, and over a period of a few weeks my average BP dropped down to about 110/70.  There wasn't much difference between morning readings before breakfast and evening readings before bed.  This lasted about six months, when I started eating 'bad' stuff again.  I need to get back into the better regimen!
Have the same condition as yours and i too suspect its protein (mutton, chicken) which increases the heart rate. I am going to get a BP check this evening :P
I was having the same issues of increased heart rate that made me uncomfortable after eating. It was happening after every meal. It was making me quite anxious everyday.

After lots of research I came upon some info about low stomach acid. It turns out that if you have low stomach acid you can develop many digestive issues. From what I understand from the info is that if you are having digestive issues , the Vagus Nerve, which connects your brain, heart and stomach together can trigger your heart and body to work harder to compensate for your poor performing digestive system. This can cause your BP to rise and heart to beat faster.

Some of the info I read suggested taking a supplement called Betaine HCL, which is an acid that will increase your stomach acid levels so that your stomach can perform the way it should. There are some things that you should be careful for if you take certain medications or have stomach ulcers. This supplement can make them worse.

I personally have tried it following instructions I found on the net on how to find the right dose and have good results so far. Now after i eat my heart will beat in a normal range and my stomach feels good. This might not work for everyone here suffering from these symptoms, but it might be tied to some of your digestive systems.

I'm just throwing this info out there in hopes it might help some of you. I highly suggest you google the info I provided and see if this might apply to you. Consult a doctor if you need to make sure your health is up to it. I will say one thing though, most doctors are not educated on this and over prescribe anti acid medications to treat the problem which makes the problem worse. Low stomach acid can cause similar symptoms to high stomach acid.

Good Luck Everyone!
im 36 yrs old and anytime after a meal and i climb a stairs my bp and heart rate goes mental varys up to 167/97/121-180/100-130 im on lecalpin 10 mg a day for bp my usual is around 140s-150 throught day in the mornings ive a good bp 120s i have anxiety problems also cause of all dis ended up in emergency room numerous times with panic attacks or with strange pains in chest or lungs its ruined my life i suffer with my stomach also and take 40 mg nexium also i have right bundle branch block in my heart,hematomachrosis high iron in my blood which i get venisections to drain blood,a dudodenal ulcer aswel so i have alot goin on stress cause of all of this is huge sick of seeing doctors never get a straight answer
Hey jay, I have been there and am currently dealing with getting my blood pressure down , anxiety steels life from us. Just want to encourage you to trust in Jesus Christ ,  when you think about what  everyone is posting on here about how food can quickly change what your body is doing. Think about how quickly it can change spiritually . Blessings
So interesting!  I've been concerned that my heart thumps rather hard and fast after eating certain meals.  I'm female,  64, have rather low blood pressure, gym two to three times a week, but remain about 10 kg overweight, and have tested insulin resistant. Two years ago, I had treatment for Graves' disease - that's too much thyroid.  I thought the one advantage of Graves' would be that the weight would just drop off: not when you're on the medication!    I've recently been trying the paleo diet (no carbs) and my heart rate is much improved. I've lost 4 kg. in three months (and I don't get hungry all the time, yay!). If I cheat and eat carbs, I have the heart rate issue again.  Thanks for the tips - I'm going to try the cumin treatment and see if I can find an ayurvedic doctor  here in Cape Town.