Rapid heartrate/high blood pressure after eating
For the past several years I have noticed that after eating food (which ranges from just a cup of milk to a full meal) that my heart rate and blood pressure increases significantly about 30 minutes after eating, and it lasts for about  one and 1/2 hours to two hours.  This occurs about 50% of the time after eating.  My heart rate goes from ~75 bpm up to 140 bmp (max todate), and the blood pressure goes from 130/80 up to 180/102 (max to date).  Note: I am borderline hypertensive and take 20mg of lisinopril a day. I have attempted to determine if there is a particular type of food, or food additive that might trigger the symptoms, and have noticed the symptoms always occur when I eat peanut butter or the snack crackers that are sold in vending machines, and will occassionally happen when I eat homemade macroni and cheese.  Other that these foods, I can find no relationships.  I can have a cup of milk one morning and get the symptoms, then have a cup the next day from the same gallon and have no symptoms.  I have had several tests in the hospital - stress test, sonogram of the heart, gastronomic tests - with no results.  Of course the tests were not conducted just after eating, so I was not exhibiting the symptoms.  Do you have any thoughts on what might be causing this?
Forgot to mention:

My weight dropped five pounds during those first two weeks.  Not a lot, and not enough to cause the dramatic change in blood pressure.

And it has continued to drop by just over two pounds per week.

Yay!
I have been reading a lot about it but find that no treatment is yet found for it

I have been having the same problem for 3 years, But I could not make out why do I have a racing heart and high BP when I am active and all my cardiac Profile is normal. My HR after a meal goes up to 130bpm and a BP of 160/90.

I have problems when I wake up in the morning. Empty stomach : HR 118 and BP 160/100. But this happens sometimes. My Doctor put me on Beta Blockers 5mg a day. I am also hypertensive and I take losartan-H 50 mg a day.

I went into an Acute phase just a month ago after a symptom holiday of almost 6 months. It started with an upset stomach and a racing heart rate and high BP. But surprisingly it would subside for sometime after I used the Rest room.

This is when I discovered that the problem is related to my digestive tract. So I would  took 20ml of Aluminum  Hydroxide and surprisingly with in 5 minutes the symptoms would sup-side.

So I decided to treat myself with Ayurveda. On one of my visit to India I met an Ayurveda doctor, who told me a simple treatment which has no side effects and anyone can try it.

Every morning take a table spoon (heaped) of cumin seeds (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cumin) chew them and swallow them with a glass of water. He said the effect will start showing in 30 days. I have started it and I find my bowl movements improving and I do not get the racing heart rate after a meal many times. But I am taking it for only 10 days now.

And Yes ! He also said that if your situation is Acute add a tea-spoon  of carom ( Bishops weed) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ajwain) to the dose. I am just trying the cumin seed therapy and it seems to work but time will tell.

If you try this out please post your experiences here so that we all can make this problem solved.

Best wishes to every one
i shall incorporate Cumin in my cookings
"Blessed are the gentle, for they shall inherit the earth"

Matt 5 :5 ( NLT)

Hi, I felt moved to compliment you with this scripture . May God Bless You !
I am sorry I could not post an update as I had lost track of this forum. I am fine and normal. I do not get any of the symptoms. I thank  Ayurveda for this simple and effective treatment.

I hope many others must have tried it too and are normal by now.

Best wishes

Ron
This is good post. I'm glad that people are willing to share the experience. I started experience this Anxiety and panic three years ago. I have been on paxil of 20 mg which I take only 15 mg. I  notice the high heart rate at the evening time. Like many said it affected quality life, i cannot even count how many Sundays I was tried, not able to sleep, fatigue during the service and work during the weekdays. By God's grace I have sailed through all this pain and suffering for years. I still have insomnia problem, which creates different spin to this stress and anxiety. I would stay the I have learned to understand and little bit more vigilant about stressful situation and not to take it into mind or personal. I have been prescribed with Diavon 80mg, Lunsta 2mg and I'm taking half or 1.5 mg of Lunsta depending on the state of day. Lately I have been trying to wean off the paxil and by some research I found anxietin natural medicine to get out of paxil. I'm trying this new medicine for the last two weeks and it is working good. By God's grace I will find some natural remedy for insomnia. Until then i just have to carry this cross and keep rejoicing. Like many wrote, I went to ER, Cardiologist, many doctor's appt to find out the underlying root cause. Everything came out negative. I'm very glad compared to three years ago and I feel like I crossed the red sea.  
...so, if i just had a meal, how many minutes or hours should I wait until i have my bp checked?
It really is a nice forum and give you some ideas. I read about HYZAAR  , that pill almost kill me , because my Doctor did not tell me , if you have to go to often to the bad room , you need potassium and  magnesium  ,That line never end. So I drop all BP  medicine and  use  Pycnogenol. . This is not an advise , but I will tell you what happening. I am 70 and still work hard every day. I start with 100 mg in the morning , it did get a little better , but one day I had o lot off stress and end up with 600 mg , and I was feeling like a new man. I reduce my cholesterol from 220 to 165  and  no hemorrhoids , the Eye doctor tell me  I need new glasses I see  better , I think he was joking ,but it was thru .no more pain in my knees ,it is unbelievable .,but don't expect changes after 4 weeks , it almost took me  2 years .I eat every morning my banana for potassium and 500mg Magnesium chloride (very bad taste ) and feel super . It is 5 times stronger than Aspirin and you will not have a bleeding in you stomach. Believe it is worth to try it  . Of course is my wife satisfied , but not with Hyzaar
I think the levels that US doctors go by for B12 needs to be re-evaluated. People with B12 levels between 200 pg/mL and 350 pg/mL (levels considered “normal” in the U.S) do show signs of B12 deficiency. Among other things, it could certainly give spikes in blood pressure after eating. Its worth looking into.
I also have this problem,but i was wondering  if alcohol can be so dangerous . When i drink my heart rate usaully stays the same or it doesnt beat as fast.
I have this condition too.

My resting BP is about 117/74, pulse 65 to 75.
This morning, after eating a bowl of low sugar/low sodium oat meal and a piece of toast buttered with low fat, low sodium spread, I was at 156/100 and pulse of 108.

1 1/2 hours after eating, now sitting at my desk at work I am now at 126/77 pulse 90.

Normally, after eating when my heart starts racing and my bp is up I do feel a tightness in my stomach, and I feel like I have asthma. I can breathe, its just tight/ bloated feeling in my stomach.

I have noticed that these symptoms, including the asthma feelings, ALWAYS seem to be brought on by eating or by acid reflux initially.

Numerous doctors say I don't have high blood pressure and my EKG looks great. They are puzzled why this happens Some have even claimed that maybe I was just having anxiety...though, usually I am not feeling anxious.

A regimen of Prilosec and anti- inflamatory meds seems to help, but it still scares the heck out of me because I never know what meal is going to cause it to happen. I have long suspected maybe the cause was in my stomach, but every doc just wants to move me on through so they can get to the next patient. Very frustrated.
Increase Heart Rate and BP After Every Meal- I think I have figured out that it may have something to do with my digestive system.  Doctor has put me on high-blood pressure meds.  He will check me in two weeks.  I will ask that he prescribe a colonoscopy  and other test that will look at my digestive system. I prefer not to keep hourly checks on my BP and heart rate-it tends to make me more anxious.  I am so amazed that so many has the same problem and most has not been able to get a diagnosis of what is causing it.  I will keep all posted with results of my test.
How did it go ? I hope it went well.
reply to my self "have" not has-sorry-I was writing really fast LOL
Cumin- I will try this
Aids Digestion

Although this flavorful spice has a long history as a treatment for indigestion in Indian households, medical research has just begun to suggest the benefits of cumin to the digestive system. A study on rats by researchers at Mysore University, published in the "Indian Journal of Medical Research" in 2004, found cumin useful for both dyspepsia and diarrhea. The spice appears to stimulate the liver to secrete more bile, which aids in the breakdown of fats and the absorption of nutrients, leading to healthier digestion. In the study, cumin increased bile secretion in the rats by 71 percent.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/415653-ground-cumin-health-benefits/#ixzz2dsJaquxA
Hello sshazzam , here is what I did : buy a Digital wrist blood pressure unit ,and  check the blood pressure even 5 or 6 times a day and write it
down , what you eat or what else you did . That give you personal Info
what you can do or not .It is not enough to measure once a year.I also did buy a test kit for Cholesterol HDL and whole , also diabetes test. If you get older , sometimes when you eat a lot of cake or sweet oat meal ,it will raise
BS  together with diabetes , even if you don't have it .Write it down , you learn. Be careful with multi vitamin , your body will not need all that stuff .
You need to drink at least 60 oz water in a Florida day , may be more depend on  your weight , 1 hour after a bottle of water , BP goes down .Like I wrote before , I live with Pycnogenol ,Magnesium Chloride and some Banana .I stay away from Pills and it work ,but not from today to tomorrow.
I have had some strange occurences. My worst one was after a weekend when I had drunk on 3 consecutive nights and had a late night. Got up the next day feeling awful and heart going too fast. Managed to calm it down by drinking water but after lunch it got so bad I had to call an ambulance. Had a heart monitor for a day, lots of ECGs but my heart seems okay.

Eveything was then okay so I thought it was a one off until 4 weeks ago. Did the three nights in a row thing with the alocohol and had another episode of heart raicng, feeling dizzy etc. This time water took it off a little, but ever since then I have had periodic dizziness, often after food though I cannot say if one thing is worse than another. I've stopped smoking or taking nictoine replacement (which I had been taking for 5 years - lozenges) I'm having an echochamber scan done on Friday, but I can't help thinking the problem is with my stomach, not my heart.
Hi all,
My problems started a couple of years ago when I ate a sandwich from Subway. I had eaten from there many times before without problems. I turned absolutely beet red within a few minutes of eating it and passed out. The person I was with called an ambulance and after spending the night in hospital where they did several heart and blood tests I was released with no explanation for what happened. This occurred 2 or 3 more times in the following months, each time I had eaten spicy food/ food with hot peppers on. I had eaten spicy food all my life, the hotter the better in fact so I could not explain it. I visited my doctor whose advice was rather basic - 'Dont eat spicy foods'.
Well, 2 years later I have cut out spicy foods completely but I still am having the same problem, albeit I am able to avoid the fainting part of the attack by lying down. I still turn bright red/purple, particularly in the neck and face, and can feel my heart pounding and my carotids throbbing, the attacks are usually followed by a headache. There is no particular trigger, although I have to say anything rich, greasy or acidic seems to do it. Also eating on a particularly hungry or empty stomach seems to increase the chance of it happening. I have not been able to take my BP during an episode but from what I feel it certainly feels like a large BP spike. Has anyone had reactions to the point where they pass out before?
Awesome!  I am inspired
Awesome!  I am inspired
Hi everyone,

I have the same BP increase and dizzy feeling after I eat.  I have borderline hypertension (though I think I will be going on some sort of medication after I see DR. next week) and this condition is extremely stressful which makes things way worse.  After about 2 hours the BP goes back down but the dizzy feeling continues. I also have Ringing in the Ears (Tinnitus) associated with this. I am pretty sure that salt causes this for me.  Even a very small amount causes me to feel weird.  I am so glad I ran across this post and found that others have the same problems and  I am not just crazy (as some have suggested I may be...TBH that could still be true haha).  

Googled this because I was having exact same issue. Glad to read everyones post. I am 53 and I do not have HBP nor am I diabetic but I am sedentary. (Use my brain like an Olympic athlete but not so much my body). I am going to try the smaller meals method and set my alarm on my phone to get up and move every 45 minutes. Am taking a high grade fish oil, Vit. E, Multi-vitamin (from a health food store) and thinking of adding Pantothenic Acid and Vit. C.  I am also doubling my effort to get outside for 15 minutes of sunshine for my Vit. D.
Thank you!!!!
I have increased BP after taking food especially rice. Salts and Chinese food.
I have also proteinurea and kidney stones.
I am taking telmesartan 20mg daily
I am 5 feet 10 inches high and weighs 64kgs I lost weight from 72 kgs to 64 within 6 months of time.
How to recover from this discomfort?
This could be an insulin resistance problem.  I know that I had slightly elevated BP due to insulin resistance, and after eating food with a high glycemic index (which will raise your insulin levels rapidly) my BP went up dramatically.  I changed my diet, "fixed" my insulin resistance, and over a period of a few weeks my average BP dropped down to about 110/70.  There wasn't much difference between morning readings before breakfast and evening readings before bed.  This lasted about six months, when I started eating 'bad' stuff again.  I need to get back into the better regimen!
Have the same condition as yours and i too suspect its protein (mutton, chicken) which increases the heart rate. I am going to get a BP check this evening :P
I was having the same issues of increased heart rate that made me uncomfortable after eating. It was happening after every meal. It was making me quite anxious everyday.

After lots of research I came upon some info about low stomach acid. It turns out that if you have low stomach acid you can develop many digestive issues. From what I understand from the info is that if you are having digestive issues , the Vagus Nerve, which connects your brain, heart and stomach together can trigger your heart and body to work harder to compensate for your poor performing digestive system. This can cause your BP to rise and heart to beat faster.

Some of the info I read suggested taking a supplement called Betaine HCL, which is an acid that will increase your stomach acid levels so that your stomach can perform the way it should. There are some things that you should be careful for if you take certain medications or have stomach ulcers. This supplement can make them worse.

I personally have tried it following instructions I found on the net on how to find the right dose and have good results so far. Now after i eat my heart will beat in a normal range and my stomach feels good. This might not work for everyone here suffering from these symptoms, but it might be tied to some of your digestive systems.

I'm just throwing this info out there in hopes it might help some of you. I highly suggest you google the info I provided and see if this might apply to you. Consult a doctor if you need to make sure your health is up to it. I will say one thing though, most doctors are not educated on this and over prescribe anti acid medications to treat the problem which makes the problem worse. Low stomach acid can cause similar symptoms to high stomach acid.

Good Luck Everyone!
im 36 yrs old and anytime after a meal and i climb a stairs my bp and heart rate goes mental varys up to 167/97/121-180/100-130 im on lecalpin 10 mg a day for bp my usual is around 140s-150 throught day in the mornings ive a good bp 120s i have anxiety problems also cause of all dis ended up in emergency room numerous times with panic attacks or with strange pains in chest or lungs its ruined my life i suffer with my stomach also and take 40 mg nexium also i have right bundle branch block in my heart,hematomachrosis high iron in my blood which i get venisections to drain blood,a dudodenal ulcer aswel so i have alot goin on stress cause of all of this is huge sick of seeing doctors never get a straight answer
Hey jay, I have been there and am currently dealing with getting my blood pressure down , anxiety steels life from us. Just want to encourage you to trust in Jesus Christ ,  when you think about what  everyone is posting on here about how food can quickly change what your body is doing. Think about how quickly it can change spiritually . Blessings
So interesting!  I've been concerned that my heart thumps rather hard and fast after eating certain meals.  I'm female,  64, have rather low blood pressure, gym two to three times a week, but remain about 10 kg overweight, and have tested insulin resistant. Two years ago, I had treatment for Graves' disease - that's too much thyroid.  I thought the one advantage of Graves' would be that the weight would just drop off: not when you're on the medication!    I've recently been trying the paleo diet (no carbs) and my heart rate is much improved. I've lost 4 kg. in three months (and I don't get hungry all the time, yay!). If I cheat and eat carbs, I have the heart rate issue again.  Thanks for the tips - I'm going to try the cumin treatment and see if I can find an ayurvedic doctor  here in Cape Town.  
After seeing a  few doctors two , allergist  and two cardiologist,  I was fed up  I knew something was wrong, The MD said oh you have no allergies I knew for a fact I was allergic to oranges and dairy  I had  a reaction as soon as I ate them 30% of people have citrus allergies, I was fed up I  went to alternative chinese  medicine doctor, and figured this out that allergy tests are only 50 %  accuarate! So that explained a lot .  I had blood allergy test and scratch test , So the  I went on a elimination diet this is the diet that was researched and my doctor told me get on it , I could early chicken, turkey and lamb , rice all vegetable EXCEPT nightshades. I could eat, Blueberries, pear,  drink water, have  olive oil also I could eat  garlic onion were okay i did  this for two weeks then  I introduce for 1/2 a day wheat, then go back on diet for 3 1/2 days then do the same thing with corn, dairy,  sugar, citrus, soy, nuts etc....you will figure it out pretty darn fast  
Let me be a voice of reason for all of you who searched this out, sitting at your computer, having anxiety about this right now. I used to suffer from this mindset induced condition for years, until I figured it out. A little about me. I wake up, make my coffee....and drink 2 cups through the afternoon. My first real meal of the day is around 8:30- 9:00 pm. When I do get to sit down and eat, I go big. 5 course, but always healthy, and good portions. Then after I would rest for a bit, my heart rate would sit high, and i'd feel that thing beating in my chest. Almost like a fish out of water. So how did I fix it you ask? I didn't, I understood it, and stop obsessing about it. Want to know how to get past the uncomfortable part? First things first, before you read on, go grab a large glass of cold water. That's fixes problem # 1. When your body goes through the day, It requires water. Lot's of water. So always have a cup of water going when you can. Dehydration is # 1 cause of high heart rates. Like a car engine without oil in a sense. Second thing...Stop checking your pulse... Only making it worse. Let the heart beat, that's what it does best. You heart doesn't just stop, or explode....It's a muscle, and designed to beat. Try to imagine stopping a train goin 80 mph, with your bare hands. I'll bet 10-1 you'll be able to do that before your heart will stop, or explode...Third and most importantly. Subtle lifestyle changes. Coffee....1 cup, or even decaf if you need. Less caffeine is better, this also included soft drinks, some candy bars...Small meals through the day. Don't be afraid to snack. If your slightly active, you won't gain weight. And eat good, healthy foods. Food our grandparents grew up on. There's a reason some of them are still with us well into their 90's. And finally, relax. We're all going through it, and some of us have probably come read these posts a few times. Your still here, and you'll be here again another day. Always remember, your mind is a lot more powerful then we give it credit for, it can trick us into thinking things are wrong, when they aren't you need to stay in control, and always remember the sun will come again tomorrow.  On a side note, before I decided to write this, I too was experiencing the same symptoms you all where referring too. Once I wrote this out, approx 7 mins, I feel relaxed and better. It's just that simple. Best of luck to you all.
Hard to tell my friend as soon as you think it's all in the head, which i wish it is the case, some symptoms suggest that it's a problem with the heart.
Folks, I'm a big oldschool bikerman, mechanic, farmer and people think I'm sort of a tough guy, but I am literally crying right now, to read your posts and to know, finally, that I am not alone in this! It's funny how I never felt fear when facing down armed men, not even any of the times when I was shot (6), but when this happens, I have a very real sense of my own mortality. Doctors have not been of help, not communicative, dismissive, even derisive at times. A 30+ year RN I've known forever has wrung her heart out trying to figure this out and it has been beyond even her knowledge.
To read your posts, to feel what you and I have been through, to see so many who have suffered for so long (30 years, for myself with this) and to see that some of you have found ways to mitigate the symptoms is just about the most wonderful thing I have seen since my kids were born and the first engine I built coughed to life. I really, honestly wanna bearhug every one of you! Brotherly love, Y'All!
Usually at dinner my BP hit 150/80. One time, I noticed my BP dropped to 130/80 after dinner. I recalled what I consumed for the whole day. The only difference is Yakult Live Lactobacillus casei. I then research its effect on blood pressure. Yakult has an effect in reduction of BP. Now I always consume Yakult.
interesting thing about the vagus nerve and its correlation to the heart rate and increased blood pressure.  I had a vagotomy and have experienced major heart increase and higher blood pressure.  Mine happens immediately as I only have 1/3 of a stomach.  I am now on benazepril as well as the beta blocker metoprolol.   It helps but is still not perfect.
I just want to say, thank you even though it is now the year 2015, I found that I have eaten a lot of these thing which may have had an effect on my sudden rise in BP and rapid heartbeats out of nowhere!
I am symptom free after taking Heathers tummy tamers since last two days. Prior to that for 3 weeks it was hell with high bp and pulse after eating even a small meal. I hope this helps. I feel for everyone who is going through this. Don't panic. Try this and hope it helps.
Yes, and rarely do doctors consider doing the test.  But, I know anecdotaly of people who were told it was anxiety, but they truly had a serious disorder.-  It is relatively new as a diagnosis and many doctors still do not know much about it.  
Do you stand during any of this?  Some of the symptoms sound like a form of autonomic dysfunction, called POTS.   It is where, when standing, your hear rate will go tachy after some time.  Secondly, on some forms you bp will drop, but on some forms it will stay stationary or it will elevate.  I am not saying this is it, but it may be worth looking into.  
You may be intolerant to some foods that create this high pulse rate. Search the Pulse Test by Arthur Coca which  is a pdf public domain material. Everything is free and the method consist of noting the pulse before eating, 3 times after at 30mn, 60mn and 90m. If it raises more than 16 pulses, you are intolerant to this food.
You are welcome :)
blood type diet addresses this.  eating right 4 your type explains a lot about how what you eat effects a lot in your body. you metabolize food differently than other blood types.  I am o positive and cannot eat corn or wheat gluten or vinegar.  When I do, I get the same symptoms as you do.  Its just how you metabolize food.  heres a link to the website for dr dadamo, who was one of the pioneers of the diet.  it works.
http://www.4yourtype.com/?gclid=CJ3tu6bGoskCFYhefgodYpwPZQ
Had similar systems and discovered the I was caffeine intolerant. No caffeine problem solved
I have same problem. Then i take a beta blocker for the heart rate of 162, and 20mg. Lasix for the swelling in stomach. I fill up with fluid. Doesnt help all the time. Vince
I am pleased to check all of your answers and opinions on the HR issue, I also have the same issue of HR, when I eat meals my HR rises, although I did not check it thoroughly through a machine but I can feel it beating inside my chest which normally I do not feel before meals, and I can also feel it in my throat area which is a little frightening because I feel I am gonna have a heart attack or something!!

It started 5 years ago, I had my normal dinner and took a cup of black tea with milk as I normally used to do, but that night after an hour I felt a sudden increase in my HR and it did increase with time and reached to a limit that I thought it is the time when people have heart attacks, I was about 22 at that time, it was not just increase in HR but also cold sweats, and shaking in my hands and feet and I thought that my hand and legs were about to freeze or breathless or sleepy, this effect lasted for about 3 hours and I thought I was about to die, that morning I went to doctor and he said it is not that much to be worried about and told me that I was still young to have a heart disease or something, and he took it lightly, but the following days my stomach was in bad order and it lasted about 3 months, not the HR but the stomach condition.

One thing I was sure that my HR was directly related to the stomach condition and yes it is because my HR is constant and normal but sometimes and yes sometimes after having meals I feel my heart beat rapid, and even I can hear it outside my chest and also in my neck region.

After so much research on the web I concluded that eating certain foods may increase HR which includes coffee, rice, salty or spicy foods, soda, energy drinks etc. and people this is absolutely right because after reading this I just monitored my food intake and yes whenever I ate spicy foods, rice, energy drinks and soda, it increased my HR.

Through my experience I assume that:
1- Do not eat heavy meals on an empty stomach.
2- Do not drink after having meals especially soda or even water.
3- Always drink water before eating and only a half glass.
4- Do not eat spicy, salty or sugary food all at once.
5- Do not eat a combination of rice + soda.
6- Do not use energy drinks or even soda on empty stomach.
7- Even if you are starving to death, do not eat with your stomach full but a little, you can eat after a short break of 30 minutes or an hour if you are still feeling hunger.
8- Ad I am a Muslim so I will suggest you all to follow a famous saying of our Prophet MOHAMMAD S.A.W, which is:

"Do divide your stomach into three parts, 1st for food, 2nd for water and 3rd for water" which means that do not eat much when your stomach does not find any space for digestion but eat less as much as you can.
9- Always drink water even when you feel hungry, yes it is not a typing mistake when you feel hungry and you drink water will somehow cover your stomach's space and will decrease your hunger and your food intake.

Why I suggested all these things to follow related to stomach but not to heart directly? Because our digestion has a high impact on our HR, when we eat heavy meals or energetic meals, the stomach has to do hard work, not only the stomach but the whole body and since HEART is the main organ of pumping blood and supply then certainly it has to pay the price, i.e. to supply as much blood as it can, so what will happen? It will beat as fast as it can to supply more and more blood, which will increase HR and BP.

CONCLUSION!! When something like this occurs, do not get panic because panicking increases HR even more and the effect seems as a heart attack which is not even close to it. Consider this as a normal activity of the body which happens to some people who are normal including me and most importantly eat less as much as you can, drink water and avoid salty, spicy food and especially soda and energy drinks.
Be happy guys, enjoy every second of your life, do not waste it worrying about issues which are not worth to be worried about... :) hope it helps!!

a little correction here, "Do divide your stomach into 3 parts, 1st for food, 2nd for water and 3rd for air"
One thing to add, do check your sleeping routine, if it is disturbed then you will have this impact as doubled, so try to sleep at least 7 hours
I have the same symptoms and after carefully watching the diet, i can tell it happens mostly because of the carbs/sugars.

I'm no doctor, but i understand physiology and biochemistry well enough to assume it makes perfect sense.

Adding glucose (carbs) to the cells promotes glycolysis, which in turn produces H2O as a  byproduct, meaning more water in the blood (less dense blood) and therefore a higher BP. (Hydrodynamics 101).

Sodas also contain A LOT of sodium... Which make the body retain liquid, same effect as before...

If we are already borderline hypertensive, our bodies will likely react in the wrong way to excess liquid. From this point there are 5 paths:

1) diuretics (water out)
2) A/B/C channel blockers (less cardiac usage)
3) loose weight (decrease hydrodynamic load)
4) low carb/low sodium diet (regulate H2O)
5) Nitroglycerine/NoX (loosen arteries a bit)

(An alternate for number 5 is masticating and swallowing a raw garlic, as allicin produces nitric oxide as a metabolite, which relaxes the arteries and drops 5% to 10% BP for an hour or so).

Consult the first 2 with an MD before using..

We still have no clue why the renin/angiotensin system fails or why arteries become rigid over time... The day we figure this out, we will have cured hypertension. :(

1) diuretics (water out)

Ok this is strange I noticed this past 2 months now before breakfast my bp was 146/96 then 15 minutes later it's 96/77 this happens every day
My blood pressure was 146/96 before breakfast 15 minutes after its 96/77 this happened every day I'm on no meds
I spent 3+ hours in ER last night.  BP was about 120/75 and I ate 6 oz of oysters, a packaged diet dinner, and a diet drink.  It was all I ate that day and I ate about 3 pm.  By 4 pm, BP was 220/120 with heart rate at 120.

ER filled me full of meds and BP finally came down under 150/100 after about 3 hours.  I am already on meds, so these were in addition to what I normally take.

This is the hypothesis I'm working on.  I will go over it with my doc next week.

My 23andme genetics test indicates I likely have a problem producing enough digestive enzymes for digesting fat plus I have trouble metabolizing saturated fat.  That means fat isn't broken down enough to be processed by the liver and gets dumped into the blood stream along with bad bacteria, toxins, etc.

So my body goes to war against all this junk in my blood stream.  Has anyone else noticed that heartburn, burping, and gas accompanies the high BP and heart rate?

Now my body is undergoing oxidative stress and blood pressure starts going up.  At the same time, histamines are being created to fight what it sees as allergens.  I think this is why a food that normally doesn't cause a problem, suddenly does.  The histamine level in blood is already high, then you eat a food that is high in histamine, and bam - you have what appears to be an allergic reaction.

I have eaten shrimp for years and had 1 severe reaction to it a few years ago.  Same thing with Cod.

I'm throwing this out hoping that someone with some medical or strong science background might comment.  My 1st thought was taking digestive enzymes and Betaine HCL to break down food would help, but so far it doesn't appear to.

Now I'm leaning toward this being a gut problem - what is often referred to as leaky gut.  I would be curious to know how many others have heartburn, gas, burping, etc that starts about the same time as the spike in blood pressure.

I asked the ER doctor to run a histamine blood test so high histamine could be ruled in or out as possible cause - and he refused!  The only time to run this test is when you think histamine is high.  Otherwise, you just get a normal reading.
This seems to have worked for me.

I dramatically reduced the amount of saturated fat I eat and I try to keep saturated fat extremely low at dinner.  The reason I tried this was because I learned I likely had a problem digesting and  metabolizing saturated fat.  Plus I was eating a high fat diet to lose weight.  The result was massive inflammation.

I was having spikes from normal levels to 220/120 with hr >120 almost every evening.  The very day I changed my diet to more vegetables and less saturated fats, the spikes stopped.

After a week, I started having spikes again, but only to 160/100 and they lasted only about an hour.  This happened for 3 days and then I started having what I call micro spikes.  HR would jump to 100, diastolic would go up about 10 points, but systolic barely moved.  These micro spikes only lasted maybe 15 minutes from low to high and back down again.

For the last 2 days, no spikes that I noticed.

I did find a study (which I can't find again) that said in some people, the spike was caused by eating a meal high in glucose and/or fat.  The solution was to avoid them or to take vitamins C and E with the meal.  Unfortunately, I didn't write down the amount.

What I try to do is eat only vegetables for dinner and especially those high in C and E.  Some people (me) shouldn't take vitamin E supplements, so it's better to get it from food.

In 3 weeks, I have also reduced each of the bp meds I take by half and over the last few days, bp never went over 122/81.  

I also am taking several supplements and fasting a couple of days a week, but I think the 2/3 reduction in saturated fat was the key.
I have almost the same symptoms,
After eating any meal specially dinner, Wethersfield it's a heavy meal or even cheaper or tuna, my BP gets to 145/100 and my HR is 105.
This lasts for 1.5 to 3 hours, and I start to feel better when the burping starts, that's when things start to get normal.

I went to several doctors but I got no solution.

One of them told me that I had the helicobacter pylori, I got cured of it but it was not the reason after all.
Correction of typos.

Wether*
Heavy
Chease
Blood pressure spikes occur due to the cortisol released to control the immune response to the bacteria that ferment the contents of the meal and enter your body through the intestinal epithelial junction gaps. Reducing carb loading is suggested (Especially high GI carbs) as well as simultaneous consumption of antibacterial foods. Some of those foods are as follows:

fruit skins(Like that of berries, grapes, apples,pears,etc.), omega 3 fatty acids, flaxseeds, flax oil, fish oil, fish skin, garlic, turmeric, coconut oil, cocoa, coffee, lemons, limes, grapefruits, pineapple, vinegar, red wine (Probably due to the essence of red grape skins), hops, that one bitter chinese herb, egg whites, penicullum mold variants (Such as penicillium roqueforti commonly found in blue cheese).

Others with unknown or weaker antibacterial properties (Bacteriostatic).

Nuts, cinnamon, salt, grass fed fermented cow products(substantially higher omega 3 fat content) [cheese, sour cream, butter].
I would also cut out the wheat. Will explain if you desire.
OMG you just described my diet right there I eat those foods almost everyday as they are supposed to be healthy superfoods.

I guess even good things have limits ! At some point i was thinking that i was eating "too healthy" but didn't understand the process behind it. Maybe that's why i get tachies regularly and high BP after meals.
I reasoned it through, maybe you need to get your carotid arteries checked for stenosis.
  Story of my life budget guy ! Exact same thing here ! Bloke 1981 described it nicely it's reassuring. How come the last comment is from 2008 it's 2017 now.
Oh i see recent posts are at the bottom of the page. NM
The Pulse Test, a book by Arthur Cocoa, discusses using your increases in your pulse rate before and after eating to find hidden food allergies that do not necessarily show up with an allergy test. It was a Godsend for me to read when I first became aware of this behavior in my body after eating. It was even more important after dealing with allergies in my kids. My daughter could drink milk and have no reaction and then drink from the same (formula can) source later that day and become congested and fussy. Turns out she was allergic to the mold that develops in milk.  But that aside, obviously, on an individual account this may not seem that important... just part of the digestive stress of eating. However, my son was an example of a larger problem:  his allergies caused him to developed scar tissue in his esophagus and had to have a balloon procedure to stretch and break it as it started to create difficulties when he swallowed... particular when he ate certain foods. After an elimination diet, it turned out he was allergic to nightshades and corn. Nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers and other foods in that family of plants) were fairly easy to eliminate. Corn was another story as corn starch has become a binding staple for many food manufacturers. Did you know that powdered sugar has corn starch in it?  So, ask yourself... are your meals soooo large that your body has to labor to digest them? Or might you have hidden food or mold allergies or intolerances that are worth isolating and eliminating?  Don't let the beliefs of those that deal in acute medical illnesses and their thoughts that it is "nothing" stop you from finding relief for discomforts or unneeded wear and tear on your body.  You might start with the book. I knew my pulse was saying something before I found the book.... I was married to an acute care specialist for 20 years and have noticed that there are differences in the mentality of acute care providers and those of us patients wanting to solve for chronic nuisances that can become serious over time.