Heart Rhythm Community
SVT dangerous? Considering Ablation

This patient support community is for discussions relating to heart rhythm issues, arrhythmia, irregular heartbeat, implanted defibrillators, pacemakers, and tachycardia.

SVT dangerous? Considering Ablation

I am 27 years old and in the past year was diagnosed with SVT,PSVT, Mitral Valve. I had the SVT pretty much under control with metropolol.In the past couple of weeks it is starting to "breakthrough' again in between my meds. They have already discussed ablation with me, but I wanted to hold off to think about it and try to control it with meds. My doc. told me that SVT was not life threatening. But I have been reading differently. Can anyone tell me their experience with this? And any ablation stories? It's really starting to interfere with my quality of life. If I get too hot, exercise,nervous..etc. it really bothers me. Thanks in advance
Tags: svt, dangerous
SVT isn't life threatening, but since it can really ruin a person's life in other ways (as you described) ablation can really be a great option.  Several people here have had ablations.  You can search for their posts.
In a structurally normal heart, SVT is not dangerous although it sure does make you feel crappy.  I can completely relate to your symptoms.  The problem with treating it with drugs is they do sometimes lose their effectiveness.  I had an ablation in January and although I am still bothered by PVC's (a different arrhythmia), I no longer have the horrible symptoms of SVT.  I have no regrets.

The only thing that I have read and been told about SVT is that it slightly increases your risk for developing atrial fibrillation.  Ablation has a cure rate of close to 95% for SVT (depending on location).  It's a quality of life decision and SVT can be very hard to live with.  However, some folks do quite well on drugs and some even decide to live with it (brave souls).  It's a personal choice.
Hi...

I have had SVT for over 20 years now and I take no medication and have decided against an ablation. I only get about 2 strong episodes a year (240bpm). I have been told repeatedly by my cardiologist that this isn't life threatening for me. I am in very good health (been jogging for 10 years) and through many test have been told my heart is absolutely "normal".

I think having an ablation is a personal decision. If I was getting experiencing the same symptoms by some of the people described on this forum I wouldn't hesitate in having the procedure.

I think I will hold off on an ablation until I am either told I definitely should have one or I'm much older and my SVT changes my quality of life greatly..

Hope this helps...
hi

I get SVT caused by AVNRT.  I have tried lots of meds and the one that's working for me (at the moment) is flecainide.  I am on the highest dose and do worry about major breakthrough.  I still get the svt but it feels very mild and I can stop it.  It has majorly affected my life so have decided to go for ablation.  only another 11 weeks or so to wait (nhs waiting list)

I have seen lots of docs and they've all assured me it is NOT  life threatening.

I'm a new member to the forum.  My cardiologist has recommended an ablation for my SVT episodes.  He told me that two upsides for the procedure is that they usually reduce Artial Fib (I get one or two a year) and while they are doing it they can also test for ventrical arrythmias which can be dangerous, anyone have any thoughts?

Also, I can't seem to find any facts about the possible side effects of an ablation, or even the risks overall..
I waited 2 years before having an ablation for SVT/AVNRT and I wish that I hadn't waited.  I was scared to have an ablation but the fear of having SVT was more frightening.  While they would stop it with adenosine, sometimes I had to have two injections to stop it and I always started to panic...what if it wouldn't stop with the adenosine....paddles next?  They could always stop it but the fear was there.  I took beta blockers....violent nightmares, weight gain and most importantly, it didn't stop the SVT.

I had an ablation 2months ago and it was painless, and truly an easy procedure.  My EP dr. had done over 1000 of them and the experience was a great one.  I am now cured, no beta blockers, no worry and I have felt great from the moment I woke from the twlight.

All the worry and anticipation of the ablation was a waste of my time.  I'm so happy now and I'm exercising without any worry whatsoever.  

I can't stress enough to all that the procedure is so worth it and not nearly as bad as it sounds.

Good Luck!
I had ablation ont thursday this week. The procedure was a piece of cake and I now have no worries.Recommend this option
I've had PSVT for 54 years with the first one occuring when I was 6 years old.  Dispite the predictions that it would disappear as I got older, it has not. In fact, it has gotten more frequent as I have aged.  It's presence is always in the back of my mind, and over the years has prevented me from reaching my full potential in my chosen sporting activities, bicycle racing, and inline speed skating.  But, I'm still here as proof that it isn't life threatening provided it's controllable.  I'm on 100mg of Metoprolol, but it regularly breaks through.  The thing I find about taking Metoprolol is that I find it easier to convert back by  using Valsalva than without it.  I'm now on the threshold of trying a new drug, Sotalol, but I'm very hesitant to try it.  I attempted one dose, and was rewarded with a PSVT episode several hours later.  Ablation has been previously discussed, but with only one episode spaced every one or two weeks, I don't feel it's worth the risk.  I wish you luck with your decision!
Hi can you tell me more about the ablation please? where do you live and what hospital and doctor performed the procedure for you??? I have had Afib for almost 8 years and has gotten worse lately due to a lot of stress and a long relationship that ended, but i know have had SVT a couple of times and i thought i was going to die while wating for them to put the Andenosine in my IV. I'm really scared about having my ablation soon. can you help me feel better about the procedure please? I think my Cardiologist has perfomed about 1000 ablation procedures and tell me not to worry also. what are you thoughts please?
I have not seen rosetoes on here, so I'd be happy to answer.  I had my ablation in November of 2010, or a few months after I made the post above.  After my cardiologist saw an event of 240bpm, he was very concerned that my aging heart wouldn't tolerate the high rate as I got older.

The ablation process was made extremely easy for me as I was under general anesthesia fo the entire time, and remember nothing of the procedure except getting on the cath lab table  Then I was awake and it was over.  Recovery was quick and I was out of work a total of three days.  I was up and walking around the day of the procedure, and out and about on the second day. I had a limp for about 2 weeks.  There are no sutures involved, and aside from the limp and a little post ablation "heartache", there was really nothing to it.  I have been free of SVT since then.  Good luck!

What's I'd recommend that you do is go up to the top on this page and do a search for "Jannie411"  She is a form member who wrote a number of great posts and journals entries on the procedure, and was awake the entire time.
What age are you, troyjohnston67?