Severe adrenaline surges, heart palpitations and tachycardia (PSVT)
Hi all

So I would just like to post to receive some feedback from people who may be in a similar position to me in terms of this health issue. I am a 24 year old male that started working for a big retail company about 10 months ago. Before I began I used to have episodes of tachycardia (diagnosed as potentially PSVT) but they were very few and far between. The heart rate would reach levels of between 180-230 bpm. I would get one every couple of months.

Since I started working, I fell into a shift system job that works 12 hour night and day shifts and about 3 months into this position I could feel the levels of anxiety and stress rising. This was worsening the effects on my heart rhythm (palpitations) and the amount of episodes I got. I can only assume that this system wasn't one that was benefiting me health wise. During this time the psvt episodes increased to about 3-4 times a month (especially with over exertion such as exercise and being in social set ups), causing naturally further fear and anxiety. The adrenaline surges  were also unbearable.

I have recently moved into a straight day position which is great but the effects of severe adrenaline surges are still ever present causing huge discomfort and chest pain in between the ribs. I am about 3 weeks out of shifts and can only assume my body is still adjusting from the hectic system I was working... I don't know. I have considered an ablation potentially for the future but I would like to see if I can get back to the way my body was before this all started happening. After all surgery is a serious thing we all have to make sure is necessary.

Some advice and help would be much appreciated on the matter.

Has anyone mentioned to you that your 'adrenaline surges' sound very much like panic attacks?  These can be treated quite successfully, as described here:

http://www.webmd.com/anxiety-panic/guide/panic-attack-symptoms
I understand your hesitation about the ablation.  It should not be entered into lightly but odds are your svt will not go away on its own simply by changing your lifestyle.  Depending on the type of svt you have you may be able to lessen the amount of episodes you have with diet and stress changes but all psvts are actually caused by a defect in the heart where there is extra muscle fiber that allows for the heart signal to get caught in a loop.  The big trigger for the type of svt I had, avnrt, to get caught in a loop is when we get a premature beat which is an extra beat the heart can throw off because of various reasons, stress and anxiety, caffeine, dehydration, stomach issues and acid reflux being the big triggers.  When an extra beat happens the heart appears to pause to reset itself.  It is during this pause that the signal has time to complete the extra pathway present from the extra muscle fibers you were born with.  so the best way to try and ensure that you will lessen your chance of an svt episode is to try and manage the things I mentioned that cause premature beats.  

But neither issue can be completely controlled.  Not even with meds.  And there may be some other types of svt that may not need a premature beat to get triggered so the point is you won't be able to completely rid yourself of your psvt simply by adjusting your lifestyle.  The only way to ensure you will no longer have episodes is to do an ablation.  though it seems like surgery it is actually considered a procedure because they don't actually cut into you.  they enter through a vein with catheters.  Most of the time it is a pretty easy procedure with minimal discomfort.  When I had mine done the only time I felt any pain was when they did the actual ablating when they found the trouble spot but the rest was pretty easy.  This said, it is best you are active if you try an ablation because they need to induce the svt for them to know where the trouble spot is or the whole thing will be a waste of time and money but getting it 3 or 4 times a month does make you a candidate.  In any event, do what you feel is best for you but be aware that this issue won't go away and could get more active as you age.  And when the time is right consider an ablation.  They are really pretty safe.  Take care.