After having sporadic PVC's(2-300/day) all my life(I'm 61-male), I suddenly developed 25-30,000/day 2 mos ago and on day four I ended up in Emerg. wondering if this was the end of my life. Bigeminy and nsvt 24/7. Having smoked for 45 yrs. the doctors were shocked to find my arteries clear after an Angiogram. I had 2 echocardiograms, stress test etc. and all was normal. They tried 2 other Beta Blockers with no results and finally I ended up on 100 mg of Atenolol. I have been "white knuckling" through each day with very severe episodes for 2-10 hrs each day. I am scheduled for an Ablation on Dec. 19th BUT 8 days ago within a few hrs. of being hooked up to my final holter monitor everything just stopped and I have only had 0-30/day for the past week. The Electro Cardiologist told me weeks ago that unless the PVC's were active the procedure would be a waste of time. Now I'm not sure what to do but I'll have to make a decision in the next week. I'm in Ontario Canada and the wait time for an Ablation is 2-3 mos. unless it's a matter of life and death. If I re-schedule and they come back, I'm screwed for another 2-3 mos.
Can anyone give me some idea as to the cost of having an ablation done at the Cleveland Clinic as this may be my last resort( I know they're good) rather than wait. The cost would be right out of my own pocket but the thought of going through another 2-3 mos of waiting scares me to death and I'll just have to bite the bullet somehow.
Eventhough this is my first post, just knowing I'm not alone and the knowledge I've learned from this forum has helped a lot. I check everyday and you guys are great. Thanks.
Sorry to hear about your situation, I recently went through something similiar.
I went from having sporadiac PVC's, NSVT, IST for 22 years to having 10,000 to 25,000 multifocal PVC's/bigeminy, runs of NSVT and various degree's of IST a day for 13 months.
I tried Metoprolol and Sectral to no avail and after 7 months of non-stop hell, I was so anxious that I would'nt travel further then 10 miles from the hospital (I live 2.2 miles away) and am (almost) embarassed to say that I went as far as buying a high grade defibrillator to the tune of $2400.00 during one of my especially bad weeks.
In Sept., I finally received doctor approval/recommend for an ablation and submitted all my insurance approval forms (unless it's an emergency, my waiting time for approval is 3 to 6 weeks).
Anyway, as fate would have it, within a week or two of submitting the proper forms, my arrhythmia's all but completely disappeared.
As my Cardiologist once said, "That's the nature of the beast with most PVC's", here today, and gone tomorrow...no rhythm or reason. Nothing I do (coffee, stress, etc) seems to induce them at this time. I've had 0 to 5 a day for 2 months now, with most days at 0.
It's almost maddening.. although I am so grateful for the weeks, months or years between the storms, I will now have to go through the whole process again if and when they rear their ugly heads again. My Cardio feels the same as yours and in order for me to go Cleveland (insurance reasons), I need at least 5000 or 5% of my heartbeats to be PVC's. The quoted beginning cost w/o insurance for my ablation was 30,000 and as high as 66,000 due to my multifocal areas (being thought to be) in both the RVOT and LVOT.
I'm not sure what I would do in your situation. Although I dread the arrhythmia's returning and having to deal with them for months before an ablation, I'm not quite sure I'd be willing risk or even consider a procedure that has very, very low success rates with mild PVC's unless they are easily inducable. If anything, I would pray for the best and hope the PVC's didn't return and in the mean time start planning and saving to go to Cleveland if they did. Wish I could offer more...Take care and do what is best for you!
I had the same experience, having had 20,000+ pvcs.day for months (maybe years). Right before the ablation, they settle way down. I telephoned the doctor and she said to keep the appointment, that maybe the pvcs would increase in frequency. Fortunately (in a weird way), she was absolutely, the morning of the procedure, there they were! My advice is NOT to cancel the appointment until you think you absolutely have to.
I have had two pvc ablations in Cleveland, but not the CC. Each bill was 33-35k. I think the doctor's fees were on top of that, but I'd have to double check to be sure. In any event, it's pretty expensive.
A bit of advice: if you want PVCs or PACs to vanish, wearing a Holter monitor is the quickest way to make it happen lol I have a standing joke (that sort of isn't a joke) that palpitations are afraid of Holters. I have an arrythmia, which I suspect is a short run of PSVT, which no Holter has *ever* managed to capture...and I've had a few. The closest I came was catching a blip of it on an EKG in the ER, seen as a PAC couplet.
Anyhow, yes, ectopic beats come and go, much to the dismay of the sufferers who have them and the cardiologists trying to capture and treat them. I wish you the best of luck, whichever option you choose.
I am Canadian as well and scheduled for an ablation. I have PAT and I was told that they would stop my meds several days before and give me a drug (I believe adrenalin) to bring on the palpitations if I wasn't having them on the day of the procedure. Good luck.
I live in Halifax and am on the urgent waiting list. I have not been given a definitive date but there's a good likelihood it could be before Christmas. Right now my medication isn't working very well. I don't think I've had a normal heartbeat in the past 3 weeks and the dizziness that accompanies exercise is very hard to deal with.
Everyone is different but did your doctor mention anything about stopping your meds several days before the procedure to increase the chance that you'll have the PVC's?
I had up to 20,000 a day they made me seriously sick. Then an ekg showed a left and right branch bundle block. Then a Holter showed a VT too long to be safe. I was given 1600mg Amiodarone in IC unit then for the past six months 200mg a day five days a week. The PVCs continued sporadically up to five days in a week. Two days ago, impressed by he recorrds of a PV-stress link I took .25mg of aprazolam in the morning. No more PVCs.. I'll give this a longer try and let you know.
Yes, I was told to stop meds 5 days before which I actually stopped over a week ago and still no episodes. I've got to make my decision in the next day or so but I have now come down with a terrible cold. This may make my decision to try and reschedule very easy and then pray my PVC's don't return the following day-which would mean another month or so of "white knuckling" through each day and night(I'm sure you know what I mean). My cardiologist says that I won't die, but it only feels like it.
I'd really appreciate it if you could keep us(me) updated at your end. Best Wishes
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information.
The Content on this Site is presented in a summary fashion, and is intended to be used for educational and entertainment purposes only. It is not intended to be and should not be interpreted as medical advice or a diagnosis of any health or fitness problem, condition or disease; or a recommendation for a specific test, doctor, care provider, procedure, treatment plan, product, or course of action. Med Help International, Inc. is not a medical or healthcare provider and your use of this Site does not create a doctor / patient relationship. We disclaim all responsibility for the professional qualifications and licensing of, and services provided by, any physician or other health providers posting on or otherwise referred to on this Site and/or any Third Party Site. Never disregard the medical advice of your physician or health professional, or delay in seeking such advice, because of something you read on this Site. We offer this Site AS IS and without any warranties. By using this Site you agree to the following Terms and Conditions. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your physician or 911 immediately.