Heart Rhythm Community
Vitamin D & afib?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to heart rhythm issues, arrhythmia, irregular heartbeat, implanted defibrillators, pacemakers, and tachycardia.

Vitamin D & afib?

I recently got diagnosed with AFIB and my vitamin d level is low.  My gyne wants me to take 50000 IU's once a week for a month, but I am concerned that this will affect my AFIB.  Anyone had issues with taking high dose Vitamin D?  
Yes i had issues with taking vitamin D. Any amount of vitamin D would of worsened my existing severe magnesium deficiency but i was taking 5000IU daily. Disaster!! After 6 months, not only were my "unexplained" symptoms (due to severe magnesium deficiency) even worse, my vitamin D levels were still deficient.  One of my magnesium deficiency symptoms was heart rhythm problems.  

Magnesium is the most important co factor for vitamin D absorption.  Vitamin D "uses up" magnesium to convert to active vitamin D in the blood. My heart rhythm problems cleared up with magnesium supplementation. I could not correct my vitamin D or calcium deficiency until i first corrected my magnesium deficiency.  

"Magnesium and arrhythmia By Dr. William Davis...

Because magnesium is removed during municipal water treatment and is absent from most bottled water, deficiency of this crucial mineral is a growing problem.

Magnesium deficiency can manifest itself in a wide variety of ways, from muscle cramps (usually calves, toes, and fingers), erratic blood sugars, higher blood pressure, to heart rhythm problems. The abnormal heart rhythms that can arise due to magnesium deficiency include premature atrial contractions, premature ventricular contractions, multifocal atrial tachycardia, atrial fibrillation, and even ventricular tachycardia, fibrillation, and Torsade de Pointes (all potentially fatal). Magnesium is important!

Magnesium supplementation is therefore necessary for just about everybody to maintain normal tissue levels. (The exception is people with kidney disorders, who should not take magnesium without supervision, since they retain magnesium.)

Here is a Heart Scan Blog reader's dramatic rhythm-correcting response to magnesium supplementation:

Dr. Davis,

A few months ago, I contacted you inquiring if you had written any articles on arrhythmia. You were generous enough to answer and guide me to an LEF article you'd written in which you stressed fish oil and magnesium. I had been suffering with bad PVCs [premature ventricular contractions] for over 20 years, and they had gotten so bad recently that I was told my next options were ablation or pacemaker!

I was already on fish oil and had not seen any difference, and so I researched the magnesium you suggested more thoroughly and found a huge body of studies supportng its effect on arrhythmia. I also read many posts on heart forums with people having success with it. After getting advice from various bloggers, I tried magnesium taurate in the morning and Natural Calm (an ionized form of mag citrate) in the afternoon and evening. Within three days the PVCs were quite diminished and by 2 weeks totally gone! As long as I keep taking it, they never return---not even one irregular blip---even when I drink strong coffee! The magnesium also cleared up my restless leg syndrome, my eye twitching, and insomnia. (Apparently, I was the poster-girl for magnesium deficiency.)

I am so angry that after all these years of suffering, trying various medications, and seeing at least 4 different cardiologists that NOT ONE ever even mentioned trying magnesium. The generosity of the few minutes you took to answer my email and steer me in a helpful direction brought me total relief.

Thank you SO MUCH!

Warmly,
Catherine C."
Thanks Red Star I appreciate your comments and will have them check my Magnesium as well.

davisph
Glad to help. :)  Only 1% of the total magnesium in the body is in the blood and about 0.3% of magnesium is present in serum.  A RBC (red blood cell) blood test is a bit better than serum magnesium.
I meant a RBC magnesium test. :)
Thanks will have that checked.
I recently finished 8 weeks of 50,000 ius of vitamin D, one dose per week. I have pvc's and pac's and have not noticed an increase in symptoms while taking these high doses.
Thanks for the update.  I have not started taking it yet and I am going to the Dr on Tuesday.  I don't want to upset the ship by taking the Vitamin D in such high amounts.
The idea of this very high dose freaked me out too, but in the end, it brought my very low D within normal range, without feeling anything unusual while taking it.  Believe me, I am super sensitive and easily palpitate with anything unusual and usual.  There's no correlation between high D supplementation and arrythmia.  Good luck!
Thanks for your input!  I appreciate it!
I thought sunlight was the best source of vitamin D. Skin cancer aside, has anyone tried sitting in the sun for a while ( with sunscreen of course )?
I took chelated magnesium as recommended by a holistic doc for my arrhythmia. It did seem to have a positive effect. ( lessened the frequency of symptoms ).
Then the primary care doctor told me that my magnesium levels were H(igh). When I told him that I was taking supplements he yelled at me and ordered me to stop.
Now I'm thinking of taking them again and just not telling him. Magnesium worked better than metroprotol
I could be wrong but from what I understand if you have sunscreen on you may not actually get the needed Vit D so unfortunately it is a bit of a catch 22.  I would also look up what the effects of over dosing on Magnesium were before you take that route if it has been discovered that you are high.  I know we sometimes are so bothered by an issue we will do anything to make it better but in the long run you could be hurting yourself worse so please just research and know your risks.  
Ok, so my curiosity had me research and beyond the symptoms of nausea and diarrhea over dosing on magnesium can cause some serious issues

Abdominal, pelvic, or lower back pain that can be severe
    Balance problems, difficulty walking, and falls
    Chest pain or pressure
    Confusion or loss of consciousness for even a brief moment
    Difficulty breathing or rapid breathing
    Gradual difficulty walking and speaking, memory loss, tingling or      
    weakness of extremities
    Irregular heartbeat (arrhythmias)

So in an effort to try and get rid of an arrhythmia you may inadvertently cause more arrhythmia issues.  So please take that into consideration before you do yourself more harm.  Take care.

Yep, I get some of those symptoms. But I get them no matter what I take or do.
I haven't been brave enough to try it.  I am a bit neurotic these days about taking my BP and my HR hopefully I will calm down about it soon.