Heart Rhythm Community
WPW

A community of people experiencing Heart Rhythm concerns. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: symptoms, management, and treatment.

WPW

I have WPW how will the ablation work for me? I am scheduled to have this done in Aug. and I ahve never been so scared. What are any complications that may happen, with the surgery and how can they be fixed?
There is a lot of experience with your concerns, sorry none have responded yet.

I do not have any direct experience, but I do understand that WPW is usually responsive to ablation procedures.  You doctor may have given you some "odds".  There is always some small chance that the procedure will not work - the chance of complications/problems is even less likely.  Be optimistic, you should come out of the procedure with a cure for WPW and an easy recovery.  

I have had catheter heart exams, and I have never had any problems with the entry site in my leg, some take longer to heal than others.  I have not had an ablation but if it were more effective for atrial fibrillation, my problem, I'd go for it with out any doubt...some fear, yes, but optimism.  It is going to work, just believe it and that too will help.
I went through this myself for WPW, and I think in the right hands, this is a reasonably safe procedure with a pretty darn good success rate for WPW.  Moreover, the procedure itself is really not a big deal.  The best way to avoid complications is to use somebody exceptionally qualified and with a high rate of success.

There are risks with this so do take care to know about this procedure and your medical condition.  How are you for time? I see you are scheduled, but are you set on doing this yet?  Be sure to give yourself time, if you need it.

Best of luck with whatever you decide to do.
I have been diagnosed with WPW too, i'm 26 years old and am also having an ablation at the end of August or start of September. I have also been abit scared about it, but the more i have been on here talking to people who have gone through it and have had good outcomes, the more i am feeling better about it.
I'm sick of having WPW symptoms, even today i am feeling abit rubbish and have had on and off palpitations. So i am looking forward to getting a letter through with my date. My cardio Dr didn't want to put me on any drugs, so i am just having to put up with it for a few weeks. I was told by my EP Dr  the success rate for WPW ablations is 90 -95%. So fingers crossed we will both be sorted out after. Keep in contact and if you want to chat send me a message. It has really helped to talk to people on here.
Even have a look on youtube for people's accounts and look at what happens during the procedure so you have a good understandng of it. We just have to stay calm and think about the 95%!
zodiacqueen commented on photo
slaytheday commented on Pip sick...
Piparskeggr uploaded a new photo