Heart Rhythm Community
Wolf Parkinson White Syndrome

A community of people experiencing Heart Rhythm concerns. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: symptoms, management, and treatment.

Wolf Parkinson White Syndrome

Our 18 year old daughter has suffered from Wolf Parkinson White syndrome since the age of about 10 - she would have episodes of extremely fast beating heart once every 3 months or so, often while doing sport or sometimes while just sitting down, sneezing or just moving her leg suddenly.  She had an operation before Christmas last year and nothing since.  Ironically our 9 year old son has over the past few months told us that his heart is beating fast!!! At first I didn't pay too much attention! (it couldn't happen twice!).  Recently I have touched his chest each time he tells me and in the last week it has been almost every day! it feels like a golf ball pounding out of his chest. Have been to the Drs twice this week and hospital once. We are going to be referred to the same surgeon as his sister.  My question is, in the mean time, should he continue with his many sporting activities?  We have been told to carry on as usual, but I don't think the Drs realise just how energetic he is!  Both children are extremely sporty and both very fast!  Because our son seems to be having such regular attacks I am concerned about letting him take part in a hockey tournament this week end, for example. Also is common to have siblings with Wolf Parkinson White syndrome - it seems so strange just after our daughter has had her operation!
I would let your son go have fun. I know that may be hard for you to do, but if there was any danger, your doctors would have told you to stop all sports until he was checked out further. This type of arrhythmia really isn't dangerous unless there is a severe heart disease underlying it. The arrhythmias that this type of tract produces is found in the upper chambers of the heart so that part of the heart can withstand higher heart rates more easily. W-P-W can run in families as well so 'it can happen again'. (Lucky you, right???)

Take care
Silvia
I have a friend who has two brothers with WPW.  On the other hand, I have eight children, only one of which has WPW (so far...).
Hetherington lizzy Comment
Apr 23
Shasara is ... Comment
Apr 22
Lilymin joined this community
Welcome them!
Apr 22