Heart Rhythm Community
abount syncopal attack

This patient support community is for discussions relating to heart rhythm issues, arrhythmia, irregular heartbeat, implanted defibrillators, pacemakers, and tachycardia.

abount syncopal attack

can anybody give some views about syncopal attack and how to recover from this problem?
I suffer from vasovagal syncope but I need more information about what's up with you.
i've recently been diagnosed with vasovagal syncope.  my blood pressure and heart rate are really low since i gave birth to my twins 4 months ago.  different people have different triggers.  i have much difficulty standing from a sitting or laying down position or squating or sometimes just leaning.  i was recently put into a very emotionally stressfull situation and 2  days into it, i fainted 3 times within a 10 minute period until i finally just stayed down.  if i laugh really hard it can be a problem too.  i am having to modify a few things career wise as i have a pretty physical job as a photographer, but if i understand correctly it's really not a very serious condition except for the awful fainting and problems that can occur from fainting.  

my dr. has my fluid and salt loading (potato chips and gatorde).  i watch my blood sugar levels and sometimes that can be a trigger when it's too low or too high, but often my levels are normal with an attack.  i'm also taking a medication.  so that is what i am doing to try to manage mine, but i havn't totally figured out how to manage it totally.  as i understand it, it can eventually be managed pretty effectively with the things i'm doing (salt loading, gatorade loading, medication, and trying to avoid or manage known triggers).  my dr. says that many can go off meds at a certain point, however it takes time.

i hope this is helpful, however you may already know all of this =)  take care and i will check back to see if you have another post.
I have an idea that your system may (I repeat MAY) even out a bit in a few months.  When you were pregnant with the twins your blood volume increased DRAMATICALLY and  therefore increased your blood pressure and heart rate.  As soon as those babies were born your blood volume began to decrease and it sounds like your system is rebounding (albeit dramatically).  Once your volume evens out and your body returns to its normal function you'll probably notice a dramatic improvement in your condition.

It sounds like you are doing everything there is to do in this situation.  LOTS of fluids, high salt diet, and meds to increase BP.   Most of my friends are totally jealous of my "diet" because they are on the low salt and lower my BP meds :-).

My doctor actually had me take salt tablets for a short while.   They were more effective and less weight increasing than the potato chip route :-)

Also...you hit the nail on the head at one point.  When you pass out STAY DOWN.  I've learned that once you pass out it takes approximately 10 minutes for your body to fully recoup.  You need to stay down for at least 5-10 minutes or as soon as you get up your BP will bottom out again and down you'll go.

It's always nice to have those around you know what in the world is up with you.  If there is someone around you a lot of the time (in my case I have two people, my husband and a friend at work) who will know how to react and how to calm the others around you it will go a long way toward reducing your embarrassment releiving the bystander's fears and concern and giving you the "time" you need to get yourself together.

Marie Osmond passed out on "Dancing With the Stars" last season :-).  I pegged the problem right off.  It was so funny to WATCH someone else do what others "watch" me do...and to see the hubbub it causes.  And she said, "Oh Cr*p" as soon as she woke up.  That's me to a "T."  So, have a sense of humor, and some patience.  It'll even out soon.