Heart Rhythm Community
adrenaline

A community of people experiencing Heart Rhythm concerns. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: symptoms, management, and treatment.

adrenaline

I have a question but apologies if it's already been answered. If PVC's are sometimes caused by stress, and stress is caused by too much adrenaline, is there a medication to reduce the amount of adrenaline our bodies produce? I know we need a certain amount of adrenaline to be able to cope with "fight or flight" scenarios but just wondered if a reduction in it through medication may also help reduce the PVC's. Again, apologies if this has alreaady been covered of this forum but though I'd ask!!
It's a very good question.  Unfortunately, reducing adrenaline production is a chemical process that would cause multiple problems for the human physiology. However, reducing stress and reducing the bodies REACTION to adrenaline is possible.  That's what beta blockers do.  They inhibit the adrenaline receptors in cardiac/muscle cells. This is one reason why they produce GENERAL sleepiness...the adrenaline is blocked in more than just the heart!!!!

As for the stress...reducing the amount of reaction to stress is usually accomplished by meditation or stress reduction in the individual, but for a pharmeceutical treatment, most doctors turn to SSRI's.  These drugs increase the amount of seratonin in the brain, and this reaction has the side effect of making you less emotive and therefore less "stressable."

Again....very good question.
Thanks for the reply - it was very helpful. I guess were all just looking for that magic pill to keep the PVC's away!!!!
im confused. are you saying that an effect of hyperdecrition of adrenaline is the inablilty to deal with stress? if so than what would an effect of hyposecretion of adrenaline be?
Hetherington lizzy Comment
Apr 23
Shasara is ... Comment
Apr 22
Lilymin joined this community
Welcome them!
Apr 22