cause of shortness of breath
i AM A 55 year old man that is over weight, controlled HBP. I take my dog every day four a mile and a half walk  around the block ( hilly terain ) and I  am fine know shortness of breath, nothing,. once in a while I will have a few drinks and do the same walk and after the first hill i am short of breath. am fine after I rest a few seconds. Is this a concern, it has to have something to do with the alcohol. thanks for your help.
Hello Hobss,

If it were me I probably wouldnt worry too much about this. Im just guessing you are more tired after a drink.

But I would pay attention to the shortness of breath. Watch to see if it becomes more often or if you have any other issues pop up in time.

Take care.
I agree, if you have a problem with SOB only when you have a drink (or two) I'd guess it is the alcohol.  

SOB  can go along with low BP, not your problem it seems, and with heart rhythm problems (such as atrial fibrillation, my condition) that lower the efficiency of the cardiovascular system  I have SOB with or without alcohol on walking hills.  I am only slightly over weight but I and 18 years older than you, and have AFib, so I know what my problems are, so I can enjoy a nice beer or wine or shot of whiskey but not several and get by fine.  

I was still running 10 minute miles up to the age of 67, but the AFib put that to and end, so I can say experience tells me AFib will interfere with physical activity... not suggesting you have this problem.  I hope you get a physical check-up each year, even a general practice MD can "hear" heart rhythm problems and most can even do an EKG.  All these methods are good only for the case were the rhythm problem exists when the examination takes place, but I ramble.  Bottom line, test no alcohol, if not SOB, it is the alcohol.
I think it has to do with the fact you are not 22 anymore, are overweight, have high blood pressure and going on what is a hard walk for you while still having alcohol in your system.

Any type of physical activity if you still have alcohol in your system is bad.

Seriously... You want help..drop the excess weight, don't exercise while still having alcohol in your system. Come on you can't have reached the grand age of 55 and have zero common sense

You will be fine but just don't do silly things