halter reading and other symptoms
mr0
my 21 year old has had episodes of passing out since he was 16.  He is in top athletic shape but about 6 wks ago starting having nausa, chest pains, shortness of breath, loss of appetite, passing out, dizzy and is exhausted all the time.  Can feel heart beat in different part of heart at times.  Took him to my gp and who had brain scan, heart xray and halter monitor (24hr).  His brain scan was normal, xray normal and he said the heart monitor was normal but his heart rate was as low as 35 bpm to as high as158 bpm (is that normal)?  He was just laying low and not exerting himself at all.  

He is adopted from Eastern Europe and we have no family health history.
I would definitely push to get your son to see a cardiologist for a full work up.  Your son could have simple inappropriate sinus tachycardia but you should have an echo done to check the function of the heart to make sure all is normal.  The one thing I will say is it is very important to stay hydrated if he is extremely active.  Kids can fail to see the wisdom of proper hydration so make sure you discuss with him the importance of drinking plenty of fluids when you works out.  I would also get his thyroid levels checked.  Hyperthyoridism can cause a fast pulse and a simple blood test should verify if this is the issue or not but I would definitely get him to see a cardiologist based on the symptoms he is having.  Take care and keep us posted on how he is doing.
mr0
Thank you for the response, he did have blood work done and they checked his thyroid.  All his blood work showed was an elevated bilirubin but we were told that is fairly normal.  I am waiting to hear back from the cardiologists office.  I will keep you posted.
With a heart rate that varies so much, Im wondering if it sounds like sick sinus syndrome. A normal heart is about 60-100 BPM. When a heart rate gets as low and/or as high as your son's has, it's not unusual to feel symptomatic. Feelings like shortness of breath, and all of the other things you mentioned above. Im glad he is seeing a Cardiologist. The cardio doc will help sort this all out for. In the mean time, dont worry. Let us know what you find out :)
mr0
Saw the cardiologist yesterday and he ordered echo but seems to think we needto see a neurologist.  Dr believe  sysmptoms appear to be more seizure like than heart related and didn't seem at all concerned with his slow heart rate (between 35 and 45).  Son still feels bad and does not even want to drive (which is good if he is having seizures) but what 21 yrs old feels so bad all the time he won't even drive.  Can your brain also regulate heart beat? (Forgot to ask that of the doctor) Thanks
I am glad to hear he is getting the echo.  I would say check out the condition Dysautomomia.  This may be the condition the cardiologist is leaning towards.  This is a problem in the brain that causes issues with the heart and blood pressure.  Check it out and see if your son's symptoms match.  It is obviously important to get your son fully evaluated but I might also give a call back to the cardiologist and see if he thinks it would be OK for your son to drink some caffeinated beverages.  It may help him feel better from his lower heart rate.  I know caffeine is generally avoided for people with heart issues but in your son's case maybe it would help.  Not sure if it will really impact him enough to feel better but worth asking maybe.  Take care and let us know how the echo went.