Heart Rhythm Community
heart palpitations and the menstrual cycle

This patient support community is for discussions relating to heart rhythm issues, arrhythmia, irregular heartbeat, implanted defibrillators, pacemakers, and tachycardia.

hello im 27 yrs old and suffer from heart palpitations, i wondered if these can be linked to the menstrul cycle
as i tend to get them mostly around this time and only occasionally inbetween its quite scary as i have to breath deep to get my breath, i have not been to my local gp about this yet as im afraid of what he will say.

This discussion is related to Heart Palpitations.
Yes they are directly related.  I remember when I went to my new doctor at the University of Pennsylvania.  We were talking and I said to her I don't want you to think I'm crazy but I feel like the pvc's are worse around my period.  She smiled and looked at the nurse in the room and said actually no I don't think your crazy and I (she) just had a big seminar about it with the doctors around town.  She said it is directly related to the hormones in a womens cycle.  That's not to say it can't happen at other times of the month.  There are "triggers as she said.  Caffein, alcohol and so forth.  I felt better.  I take medicine for it and sometime right before my cycle starts I have to take more because it can get so bad.  Most of the time they are harmless but I would still go and just get it checked out.  Good luck.
thankyou very much for that tia, as no matter where i looked for infomation about palpitation nothing mentioned it been linked to the cycle, i feel so much better for reading this i have an appointment with my doctors this week to have a check up,

thanks again xx
I absolutely believe they are related.  When I first started having them, or noticing them I was finishing up my cycle and that was over 2 years ago.  Now I noitce them a week before, during and a week after.  It's so crazy because it's like I have 1 normal week and that week isn't that normal at all-lol.  

I have a cardiologist and he said lots of women complaint that their palps are worse during that time of the month.  It would be great if there was a study done regarding that.

thankyou for that, mine are usually 4/5 days before my cycle is due and sometimes during my cycle too, thats it then till my cycle is due again, its quite a scary sensation, id like it to been looked into too as like i sed before i found nothin online to tell me they were linked, x
I am 29 and started experiencing them around 28 and its only gotten worse but just before my cycle and during and sometimes one week after I am so glad to know I am not just trippin because I really thought maybe it could be related to my period but just wasn't sure....thanks for clearing this up...I also wonder is this because I am almost 30 because I have never felt like this before on my cycle but just within the last year and a half my cycle has just gotten worse
I am so happy that I'm not the only one going trough this!! I thought I had some disorders and never went to the docs cuz I was too scared!! A week before my period or when I have my period or a week after after I get some random heart palpitations , slight loose of mind and tend to vomit plus I get anxious and scared which makes things worse. I am only 18 and this has been happening for tr past 4 months
mine are ALWAYS  worse the week before,,,always
I'm the SAME way! I'm 35, though.....a few months ago I had a panic attack...from the palpitations I freaked out and could hardly breathe, chest all tight.....hands felt numb like they were asleep lots of anxiety...now I notice it's really bad right before I'm supposed to start...and then during my period...and then just when I think I'm back to normal...it's that time of the month again and it starts all over again....glad to know I'm not alone. :)
Yep. Same here. I can sometimes be palp free all month until about a week before my period. I always try to schedule any testing around that time. I am 38 and I fear this will only get worse with menopause/peri-menopause. I am DREADING it...
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9160219
OMG You guys just don't know what a relief it is to know I'm not the only one having to deal with this worry..I ALWAYS get palpitations a week before my period during and after. I'm only 24 and I did do check ups but the DR said its not serious. Why did we have to be part of the unlucky! But anyway its comforting to know that I'm not alone!!!
my pvcs started around 29. i was mortified. i went from being a care free, happy person to a very anxious, scared person. i am not myself. i get pvcs all the time, at times they go away for weeks but come back. they are worse around my period. i've found there are so many suffering with this. there should be more research, answers, remedies..if you want to chat or if your having a bad pvc day..email me, ***@****
I was just having this conversation w/my family 2day at dinner, there should be more research, there would be less women suffering from thinking their hearts are going 2 stop & less trips 2 the ER, I have suffered from palpitations since I was 16 n was told it was heartburn till I couldn't take it any more n went 2 see a cardio dr, I still suffer from the palpitations especially around my period, but my beta blockers help a bit
The palpitations start leading to the menstruation and once we notice them it makes us worry more. I tend to try horlicks in the evening and at bed time. If at certain months things get bad I go on the Kalms or quiet life which are just herbs but help. Slow things down, lift the mood and help sleep.
I just left the Dr. with heart palpitations i have to get an echo cardio gram however i am on my period so i dont know if it is directly related i hope so im glad to hear that other women experience palpitations during menstruation too. My dr said i might have mitrial valve prolapse . i hope its nothing serious.
I also never experienced anxeity issues or heart palpatations until i was 29. I had my first panic attack last august and totally freaked me out. shortly after that day, i had another panic attack. Come to find out, anxeity runs in my family on my fathers side so i guess it was eventually gonna hit me. I also did take birth control pills and did some research and some pills can trigger anxeity issues. I have noticed that my heart palpations generally are close to my time of the month. its odd though, i can go weeks and feel fine and then bam, it hits me. i will have a heart palpation for a brief second and then most of the day i am ok. my dr prescribed me xanax as i need it for anxeity attacks. i have also noticed that if i dont get enough sleep then i generally will have a much rougher day. i just hate feeling ok one moment and then feeling like i am going crazy the next. i dont know, i just hope that more research can be done to see what can be done to prevent this.
same here mine are worse right befor i get sick too
I have them too. I realised last week that I was having them at a certain time of the month, I also noticed that I had some other symptoms that I had when I was diagnosed with low B12 (dizzy, tired, fuzzy thinking, itchy tongue) a few years ago. Took some vitamin B executive stress supplements and they went away. Maybe it wouldn't hurt to see your doctor, be sure to ask for an iron and B12 blood test, as I was misdiagnosed as having depression and put on Prozac before I went to see another doctor who did the blood test.
Thank you so much for your post!! I thought I was losing my mind and spent around $2000 only to learn nothing is wrong. At first the cardiologist couldn't catch it because by the time my appointment was scheduled the palps would be gone. It would be awesome if they did a case study on this. I am just glad to see I am not the only one experiencing this. I will check my B12 I am already on an iron suppliment.
It happens to me every month!!  The most recent time was this past weekend...I finished my period on the 7th and on the 13th I had the worst night I've ever had. Not only was my heart pounding but I had such bad pains in my chest...it felt like I had knots in my chest. It was so scary. I literally only slept 1 hour that night, went to work the next day still feeling that chest pain. Finally around noon I had a break down...called my mother crying flipping out basically hyperventilating.  I thought I was going to pass out I got so dizzy i could barely breathe.  About 10 mins after that the chest pain went away and I was totally drained. I left work early and took a 2 hour nap (lucky me...I don't have kids yet). I felt better but I still have to take something to help me fall asleep ever since then. I wonder when this racey feeling will go away. I'm 26 years old by the way. I'll be 27 next month.
Ladies I am going to the doctors today I used to have a heart palpitation before I started my period now its happening a week and a half before my period everyday at least 5 flutters a day its scary and I hate it . I have been to the cardiologist twice before for diffrent reasons everything was normal but this flutter stuff its scaring me i have to take a deep breath to get my heart back on rhythm , I have been noticing its worse after I eat something sugary, this is so scary and if its hormone related I am scared to be pregnant with double / triple hormones , I want children so badly but if pregnancy spikes hormones are we gonna be walking around holding our chests for 9 months?? :(
I had my first panic attack at 26, couldn't breathe, heart racing, tingling in hands, so I went to the ER, checked myself in as "I am having a heart attack" -- diagnosis was anxiety and I have been on meds ever since (now 42). Through meds and seeing a psychologist to get to the root of the problem which was a loss at the age of nine (my dad), I am now able to control the hyperventilation, racing heart, etc. The meds in combination with therapy have both helped.
I get those scary palps around my period as well. I HATE it, a missed beat that leaves me breathless, I kinda get scared but not like I used to because I know that the palps are normal and I have control of my anxiety. I have changed my whole diet and drink lots of water, that helps with those darn palpitations (somewhat) - that time of the month, I cannot control, it is a hormone thing. Well, I guess it can be controlled but I don't want another medicine added to my regimen.
Hope this helps.
Have any of you seen a gynecologist to have your hormones tested?  I feel like mine are hormone related and feel like a beta blocker is only a band aid....I really believe my body has an imbalance.  I recently had a baby, so it wouldn't surprise me if my palps are indeed hormonal.  I want to find the root of the problem before going on a medication that may be irrelevant in the long run.  Any thoughts?  
Kimberley-

What happened to you is the same thing that happened to me last May-I freaked out hands were numb, chest got tight, couldn't breath-by the time my husband got me to the hospital I was ok except my hands we are all curled up and tingled-they checked me out said nothing wrong with me and sent me home since then I notice a couple days before or first couple of days during my cycle it's bad really the only time it bothers me-I hate it and it's so scary-somebody needs to do a study on this and find a cure-a miracle drug or shot....It really does make me feel better reading about all these other women having the same symptoms I just hate you all have to go through it-
Yes I also feel lucky to know that I am not alone out there with these symptoms,,, By the way mine also started by the time that I turned 26 , racing heart, palptations etc always about 10 days before menstruation hit me. Interestingly enough though I becmae pregnant at these symptoms stopped , they got better and better the more the pregancy carried on and while I was breastfeeding I never ever had any of them, in fact  my heart rate dropped to a low healthy range. I truly believe it is hormonal most probably a so called progesterone deficiancy, as from the moment I stopped breast feeding the symptoms came back. This leads me to think that while I was pregnant I  produced enough progesterone , or more than usually , also while breastfeeding and that prevented me from having these symptoms. I now think of trying the natural progesterone cream.. I also found it very helpful to take a high dose of magnisium and calcium to calm me down. I really hope this might be helpful for some of you!
hi im so happy to have found this site. I have never had any of these symptoms until I stopped breast feeding my baby.Its  been four months since i stopped and every month the week before my period i have really bad palps,Im also very tired and have a pressure on the back of my head that makes me feel dizzy.I went to one doc she said it was silent migraines,but she wasnt moving fast enough with the tests, so i decided to go to another doc and she said she thinks its ms.now that i found this site im sure they are both wrong.Iam  going to look for a new doc.someone really does need to do a study on this.ty ladies for writing i have been so scared the past couple of months and with your words feel a bit better
I can not even tell you all what a relief it is to read these posts!!! I started getting palpitations 3 yrs ago at the age of 29. Just out of the blue!! I was in and out of the e.r. so many times it was ridiculous!! Once it was 10 times in a 14 day time period. I have noticed that the week before my period like clock work I get them so much worse. I also have been diagnosed with anxiety. I have had every test known to man done on my heart and every single thing comes back great!! All my blood work is great and my bp is normal. I just went to the gastro dr today and they set up a scope appt for me bcuz I also notice that I get them after eating or drinking. All the drs say its not serious but it sure doesnt feel like that when its happening. Im so glad to know that Im not alone thank you all for posting your stories..
This has been happening to me for the past 3 months. I've always had palps for as long as I can remember, but once or twice and sometimes months apart. I got diagnosed with Graves Disease in Feb 2012 and at that point I was getting a ton because that is a symptom of it. Got put on beta blockers and have been on them ever since. I am currently on 10mg of Nadolol and I've noticed that I can go days and weeks without getting a palp and then a week before my period or so I can get about 50 or so palps in one day! They last all day and happen so often. It stresses me out so bad. It never happened before but until just 3 months ago. I've had every test(a few times) even went to the ER yesterday for it, have had heart monitors and everything is normal..but I just keep thinking, that many CAN'T be normal. But it feels good to know I'm not alone and it really could be my period. It started for me on Monday the 3rd only in the am after working out for about 30 minutes after my workout and got WORSE on Saturday still on Sunday and today so I'm just hoping for my period soon so I can see if this goes away after that so I can know for sure that's what it is.
I am 30 years of age and just had an ASD closure by occluder device last month. I was on my period for the procedure and started to have palpitations immediately. They went away until now, which is why and how I found this discussion, as I suspected that my period was related to the return of the palpitations. I did not get them regularly before the operation last month, but am clearly susceptible at this point. I hope that as my heart adjusts to normal functioning, the problem will subside at least somewhat. However, knowing that it is related to the hormones is very comforting. I used to freak out very easily, and drive myself into a terrible state of mind and body every time, but I have control over my anxiety now. It was easy for me to suddenly gain control as I had to undergo the surgery, after which it is basically foolish to allow myself to become overly emotional or anxious. May all of you find peace of mind - you will see that your hearts will always find more peace when you do. Hormones or no, you ultimately determine how bad (or not) the anxiety and palpitations get.
Im glad to know the palpitations im experiencing is related to my period. I never used to get them before.....im 27 yrs of age, and feel its become more intense. I do get anxious a week before my period, which doesnt help the palpitations.....its very frustrating, anything i can do to prevent them, or make it less intense?
Im the same way just this pass few montbs i been watching the patterns and ots always afound the same tie each month have had a IUD for 4 YEARS AND THINK THE PROGESTERONE IN IT HAS SOMETHING TO.DO WITH considering it causes me not to have a period
I had similar problems, i ahd severe panic attacks and taken medications which didnt help but i got really fat
so i started to use rescue remedy, BACH flower remedy, and all my anxiety stopeed, i only have panic on airplains now
i also have night rescue remedy and my insomnia gone
after stopping the anti depressants, i developed heart palpitations though and it is related to my periods
they checked my heart and there is no problem with it
i think it is related to progesteron deficiency in my body, and i started to use natural progesteron
what also helped me was don quay, when i take those i dont have much heart palpitation
my email ***@**** if u want to chat
I have to take a deep breath too to get my heart back to rhythm doctors have no idea what I'm talking about and reading ur post just made e feel better , have ur doctors said anything about ur flutters what can these flutters mean , it really ***** beings girl if it's all hormonal! Please email me ***@****
Reading all these comments has made me feel so much better! I've been to the Dr. and had a ton of test done (I swear my Dr. thinks i'm crazy but i'm not lol) and they always tell me everything is fine. It's comforting to know i'm not the only one this happens too. It ***** we all have to deal with this tho.
I agree.. I have been researching all over the web about heart palpitations and menstrual cycle as I thought I was going insane. I'm 25 years old and I started getting palpitations of November 2011, I was on birth control pills during that time and stopped it after I got my panic attack due to hormones I was getting mad palpitations, shortness of breath, I felt crazy. My mom works at the lab and drew my blood and everything was normal that gave me some sense of relief. But now ever since stopping birth control pills my hormones go haywire at times and my oh my I get palpitations before getting my period during and sometimes after and I feel like I'm just gonna have a heart attack I get really bad panic attakc as well *sigh*. But whoever reads this I hope this brings some comfort to you as you are not the only one.. because I thought I was the only one but I guess we're not alone, just wish there was some research going on .. I'm a nurse myself and idk I wanna make a difference someday and help other females with this problem too. Don't wanna go to the MD either becasue knowing doctor's they don't give a crap and don't know and just say everything is fine here take some xanax to control your panic attacks.
There's a procedure that will get ready of it.......you should talk to your DR.

I started getting heart pulps around the age of 31 I'm now 36. I had a really bad episode a week after being put on the pill and ended up in hospital only for them to find nothing! Since then, I have had multiple tests over and over and still nothing.. It wasn't until a natropath suggested I take vitex. So I now take that, the pulps aren't completely gone but are less serveer..
I'm glad I found this post... I am 24. I haven't been having palpitations for very long... they probably started a couple months ago. I only really get them when I am extremely (EXTREMELY) anxious or a couple days before my period.... I am 2 days before my period now and I am experiencing a palp every 2 hours or so. They really scare me.. I noticed that my heart rate doesn't get faster or slower when I get palps... only when I go up or down the stairs. I also get irritated, very lazy and I feel tired around my period. I have been to doctors about multiple symptoms that I've been having like dizziness, head fullness, chronic sinusitis, shortness of breath, I've had a CT scan, an MRI, physical therapy for my neck pains, blood tests... and they haven't figured it out yet, apparently there isn't anything wrong with my heart. I've also been on anxiety pills (lexapro, Xanax) and they helped a bit but I gained a ton of weight so I stopped them. I'm not sure what is causing my palpitations exactly... (stress I know is one thing and anxiety) but I hope I can figure it out soon. I miss the days where I felt normal and could do daily activities and not have a care in the world about my health.... Getting older *****. If anyone has the same symptoms that I do, and has figured out what is wrong, please contact me!! Reply to my post. Thinking about all my symptoms brings me to tears every time.... I just want to know what's wrong!
You are not alone! This happens to me as well, also usually around my period. I first noticed them in my early 20s right after I started birth control pills. I stopped taking them and they went away for a few years. They came back with a vengence at age 26 and I had numerous tests and everything apparently fine. They went away again for a few years and came back after the birth of my second child. I am 34 now and also have anxiety. I have only had a few of these palps, usually before or after period, vut they are " strong" and can cause a very rapid heart rate and panic attack immediately following them. I have had futher tests and all fine. Its the dread afterwards and the fear that they will return and that possibly the doctors havent caught that there really is something wrong that bothers me. Again, that is just fear. I should know by now that they will come and go in my life and are either related to anxiety or hormones or both. It is reassuring to see I am not alone and some of us are just more prone to them than others. Hang in there girls! Xoxo
It's nice find this thread. I have been feeling a little worried about the palpitation I have been experiencing lately. At 27, this is not usual to me. My menstruation is not regular, though, but I feel all the signs before getting menstruation so I know when it's my time of the month (though I don't bleed sometimes). I have to get myself checked, I know, but it's nice to know that this is common. I am not at all happy about all this but knowing that I am not alone somehow eases the panic attack.
Hi girls you are not alone!  The best relief is to drink hot water or hot beverage.  After 30 mins it will be ease off.  I have this problem for about 15 year and now 40 still have the same problems 30 mins ago..
God Bless!
Hi girls you are not alone!  The best relief is to drink hot water or hot beverage.  After 30 mins it will be ease off.  I have this problem for about 15 year and now 40 still have 30 mins ago.  Hope this help all the women in the world! God Bless!
Are any of you guys on medication for these palputations ?
I also started with these feeling since November last year and having it right now day or two before my period ! But I am not scared anymore, just want something to releave me from this.
I'm 26 years old and just started getting these attacks the last few months. It's always the last few days of my cycle. Today, I freaked out over the headaches, nausea and chest pain and called for an ambulance to come check me out. Afterwards, I called the OBGYN to make an appt for thorough blood testing. It's very comforting to know that there are several other women out there like me who also pinpointed it down to raging hormones. Thank you for the piece of mind!!
Mmmmmm.  In New Zealand I think our doctors need to learn how to communicate a little clearer.  I not only get the flutters around my period (which I choose to ignore) but also the odd thumping palpitation.  I have had my heart checked out and they said I have a couple of arrhythmias, but didn't seem all that too concerned about them.  I too have been to the Emergency department and apart from a genetically high cholesterol level everything else seemed to read normal.  I remember commenting to a few different doctors things in my body get worse around my period and in particular ovulation.  Then after researching arrhythmias I asked my doctor if it was normal to have flutters because I had read they were a form of palpitations to which she replied yes it happens to everyone, and that was it.  There was no mention of hormone related occurrences or anything.  The second doctor whom I mentioned my concerns to just said oh yes you'll have lots of horrible feeling things happen but that's just normal??????????  My arms read different blood pressures they can have a difference of 10-20 at times, doc sent me to ER one day cos he though I may be having an angina attack it was chronic inflammation in the chest again, and they suggested I get the differences in my arms checked out.  I went back to the doctor and discussed investigating this like suggested.  He asked how long has this been going on for to which I replied "Oh forever I think, I have already seen you about this before you know.   Oh he said did you (makes you feel so heard huh)  he then takes me seriously starts an investigation and sends a request back to the public hospital specialist to ask for a 24 hour montior to be done on me.  About a month or two later I get a reply saying my condition is not serious enough for them to take and I will just have to pay full price at a private hospital if I want it done at all...what the?????  So palpitations are scary but so is the Health System in New Zealand.  I'm so glad you guys are able to find doctors that will listen to you.  I'm still struggling to.  Even though my first doctor was fairly vague in regards to her reply it did help me to calm down a bit.  I guess since your body is already stressed during that time your stress hormones will already be high and add in a scary anticipated palpitation and your body goes into overdrive.  I must admit the older I get the stronger relaxing medication I need to calm the heck down.  I too am dreading menopause, and at 40 I think I'm in the perimenopause stage already.  Add in chronic costochondritis and endometriosis and managing is all I do.  I do remember asking the doc about the increase in palpitations I have been getting and he asked me does it hurt when you get them, to which I said not really they just feel like flutters after that he seemed satisfied it was nothing and that was the end of that.  I hope you are able to find something that helps, I do know that if I don't get enough sleep it's worse for sure.
I am 28 years old, and I have experienced that fluttering feeling in my chest also known as palpitations since I was about 16. I had some particularly traumatic events happen within a few years of each other, and when I went back to school for my junior year, they started for the first time and it scared the heck out of me! I began to have panic attacks associated with these fluttering episodes and ended up in the ER several times, as well as went on anti-anxiety medication and began to see a psychologist. Every time I went to the doctor, they told me my heart was fine, and so I eventually learned to live with them. I should say, however, that the palpitations back then usually would occur every so often in "clusters," like a minute or two of occasional flip-flopping sensations in my chest, and then would go away for months. They also almost always occurred following a large dose of caffeine. For some reason, they eventually went away almost altogether--for a period of time. I would go an entire year having one or two episodes, and then I went about 5 years without having any. Fast forward to 25, which was when I had my first child, and they started up again. I had a few of them when I was pregnant, but they were literally like 1 flutter and that was it. After I had my daughter, however, they gradually got worse. One night, I called my parents to complain about them and a half hour later, my dad called me to tell me he had done some internet research and that palpitations are linked to, um, a "woman's time of the month." (My poor dad, he hates awkward conversations like that...LOL) So, after doing my own research, I began to keep track of them and realized that, at least for the past year and a half (since I started keeping track), they happen a week before my period. The only time they stopped this cycle was when I took a leave of absence from work to focus on school and being a mom. I feel like it is a combination of stress (I work full-time, go to school full-time, and have a 3-year-old) AND hormones. But I don't know what to do to stop them! They have really gotten worse over the last few months, which have been especially stressful times at work, and today I've had tons of them. I know I am about to start because I'm holding onto some major water weight, my pelvis is cramping up, and I have that gross feeling I get when I'm about to start--I only want to stay home in my sweats. This seriously *****. I notice I get really bad heartburn right around this time, too, and I'm not sure what comes first. So, I'm going to eat super small portions of clean foods (fruits, veggies, whole grains, etc.) which for the most part I do, but I ate a huge burrito with salsa yesterday, so I'm wondering if a combination of everything triggered it..? Idk, I just feel so miserable and the thought of having to deal with this monthly for the rest of my life makes me want to cry. So I'm going to do the small portions thing and see if that helps with them next month. I'm also going to start drinking aloe vera juice nightly, because I've read that its soothing properties help with heartburn. Other than that, I'm going to take magnesium and a multi vit to see if a combination of everything will help. Had anyone had any luck asking the dr. for something to fix the problem--hormone fluxes..? I am going to scream because I am between insurances, and I would have to pay out of pocket if I went at this point...I just want these to stop. :(
From my personal experience I don't know that it is so much hormones but the bloating that comes with the period as I seemed to get mine worse right before I got my period and they would stop once the period got going or ended.  I actually have had a really quiet period now that I have skipped a couple of months.  I also had an issue for a while where every time I ate I would get them but that has settled down too but you might want to watch what you eat and how much you eat to see if that will help.  The one thing to keep in mind is they will likely calm down for you again if they did it before.  So just do your best to try and destress when you feel it creeping in and take some time to release when it gets hold of you and I am sure you will feel better.  I know easier said than done sometimes in this hectic world but worth the effort.  Hang in there and feel better soon.
Take 400 mg Magnesium Bisglycinate daily (RX Balance)
Advanced B Complex (by AOR)
Emulsi (NaturPharm)
Iron (by Integrative)

Take 2 weeks daily - prior to your cycle starting.

Works like a charm for heart rythmn, relaxation and PMS (cramps, migraines, mood, energy)

Taken for years - doctors are now catching on to prevention (rather than masking and pills)
Bloating? Distention? Bowel issues? Celiac? Gluten?

TAKE M7+ by NaturPharm

Hallelujah... RELIEF !!!! ;)
Those of you experiencing symptoms associated with birth control pills...you should be tested for MTHFR and Factor V. If you have these genetic blooding clotting mutations then birth control pills is something you can not take and is dangerous. A internet search on the subject would far better explain it then i could. It's not just the birth control that you should be concerned with if you have bloodclotthing disorders..but how those disorders can cause such symptoms in your circulation which impacts your heart. Most docs don't test for this and many are not all that familar with it. Hormones has a been impact on these disorders because of how it effects the blood and if you have these condtions.......i have both please read up on it just in case.
I have them every month and have been for the past ten years. I'm 40. They're terrible. Sometimes I go to the hospital thinking its something terrible. Sometimes a couple of Xanax will help. I hate it.
I have been having them for the past couple of days. I am due for my period, but run anywhere between 30 to 40 days per cycle. I get them mainly at night (or maybe that is when I notice them). I get 1 every several minutes for a couple of hours. I have a lot of hormonal issues and thyroid problems, so my body is a mess. My Dr. wasn't able to catch one when we did the 24 hr halter, but he would have a field day if I was wearing it now. I've learned not to stress over them because I've had a tranesophigeal echocardiogram and 2 external echo's (one last month) and my heart was normal. I have learned that the heart, when in good shape, is a very reliable organ (muscle). Just like other muscles you need to work it out. I have been lazy for a while since I was diagnose with chostocondritis, but I am going to start again soon. They say the best way to get a fast heart rate down is to make it go fast through exercise. Also, usually when the heart is palpating there are excess hormones circulating in the blood causing this to happen. Most palps are not serious. I had a friend who experienced them 24/7 for months. In the end they found out she was not drinking enough water.
Just curious if anyone has had a hysterectomy? My good friend suffered from heart palps and terrible panic attacks during her time of month.  She had a hysterectomy almost a year ago now, and she says she's doing much better now. I, myself, was diagnosed with SVT when I was 27 years old. I am now 41 and I wonder if my menstrual cycle had anything to do with what happened to me? I have also suffered from endometriosis and infertility and my gyno at one time said I should have a hysterectomy. Since I hadn't given up hope of having at least one child, I chose not to. But I have had two heart ablations- one when I was 28yrs old and 3 days ago. I just wonder if there is some kind of connection.
I have been having irregular heartbeats before during and after my periods since I turned 26. I am 45 now and they still are so upsetting to get after all these years. I have been into the ER countless times and into the cardiologist. They always tell me that the palpitations are not anything to worry about. I was so happy to find this board. I have told doctors for years that I get them mostly around my period and they have always told me that there was no link.
They always tell me that its anxiety. But I get them right before, during and after my period. I don't feel so alone anymore. I thought I was the only one :)
I'm 31 and I have gotten them for 5 years. I went through a time of high stress and anxiety, even hypochondria. After this I started getting them a few times a day. I wore a 30 day monitor and was found to have pvc's, pac's, and tachycardia. I was like, wow- what a mess! But the heart dr said it was minor and not to worry about it... It was within the normal range. I do have pcos which causes crazy hormones... But I don't get mood swings or pms really- but I will get these palps, especially at night or when I get fired up, stressed, or don't breath regularly (it's like your all of a sudden more aware of your breathing, blaah!). The fact of the matter is that they are definitely cyclical. Use a fertility/cycle tracker app and you will start to clearly see a pattern. Don't let these stop you from living if you have been looked at. The dr told me everyone gets palps- it's just that some people feel them or notice them more than others. When you get them, try opening up your chest- instead of tensing down. Breath in, and try relaxing- tell yourself you've had them before and it's just hormones. Don't eat past 5 if possible, that seems to always make it worse, especially sugars and fats. I pray often when I get them (ok, I should pray more all the time) this helps me though. God is the ultimate dr and he made my body this way for a reason- I just have to trust that He knows what He's doing. When I started trusting- the everyday palps starting turning into just a few days before or during my cycle. Thank you God for helping me through this, and helping me understand this body You made.

I am 45 and have been going thu this too for the past 6yrs. Looked up this and though Im I crazy. Thank heavens Im not alone. Thank you. I am on Verapamile the last 4yrs. not helping the week before. Its scary exspecial if I am high stressed out. I hate this. I want a normal life back.
Hi Barbie Im also going through this. How is your palp. I don't know if having palp mine are more like a brief pause like a second and then its back to normal but I have noticed that it is happen more around my cycle time.
Omg! me too! i am having them right now actually and i went to the doctor and he just said i am not breathing properly and not breathing out the carbon now after reading this and the comments he was talking crap. I feel my body changing and lately i get so high over my hormones and so incredibly turned on, sometimes i get so turned on i feel like someone has pumped me with viagra and no matter what i do it does not seem to make it better. I've been on my period for a couple of days now like 2 days and it usually lasts about 5 days and then it takes a couple of days for the effects to wear off my body after till i am back to normal. I can have these palpitations when i'm not on my period though, do you ever start coughing too like you got a dry throte when you get it? it makes me cough because it makes me feel anxious too. I am become more aware of when i'm going to start my period too as i start getting far more emotional out of no where and it goes from emotional to turned on, emotional to turned on haha it drives me nuts, before i used to just feel quite emotional but felt moody and crap and it's just changed. I will not drink caffeine as much and see what that does too.
Also mine started when i was 18 when my hormones started to really impact my body and my emotions, i started my period when i was 13 but the effects lay dormant on my body until i went to college and i got overly obsessed with this guy, something about him awakened my hormones fully, i am so over him though and i don't see him no more as i moved by to england (but i also hate him now haha), but the changes are here to stay.
Just so you know too people who believe that you actually have anxiety no... you don't, it can make you think your anxious but that is because your heart rate is acting strangely, the one thing that makes it go away for me is to watch something that makes me laugh it then steadies my heart rate for a while and i lye back and drink cold water, when you are getting it put 2 glasses of water in fridge and let them cool or have some ice cream or a big ice lolly too, during your period your body temperature goes up as well causing your heart rate to go up with all that extra estrogen pumping in your body. Sometimes i am so high on my own body during it, hot and giggly that it can make the palps come. I get them when i'm not on them though particularly when it's a clammy day so take in mind the weather too and the temperature of the day.
glad to hear from someone in the 40-50 age bracket! I hate it, too!!  I am 45, and the last 3 years these palpitations/bad rhythms...whatever they are/, are just increasing and getting more intense.  I agree with most people on this board, dr.s do not seem to get it or take it seriously.  I do a lot of research into peri-menopause, and think it is directly related to these issues.  I think the change causes many of our problems.
Oh I thought i was dying but i am happy to know i am not alone. I am 36 and started experiencing the palps for the last 3 months before and during the periods. i was scared to death and hired a taxi to hosi twice that night.
My cardiologist said i was depressed but i did not agree with him.
Lets support each other coz this thing is scaring.
Funny how things just start falling apart at age 30.  It seems most women have their first panic/anxiety attack during this time too.  Hormone changes suck.  The heart palpitations that occur before the menstrual period are due to rapidly fallilng estradiol levels.  For some reason most doctors don't make the correlation. :(  
It's so lovely to hear all these stories, I have felt so alone since my palpations started in Dec last year, I am crying as I'm writing this mainly because of the relief of finding people who don't think I'm crazy but also due to the stress I have put myself under. I have visited my doctor on numerous occasions regarding my palpations which mainly seem to occur a week before my period and sometimes during,  he performed an ECG and said it was normal and told me it was stress and gave me anti depressant s, I didn't take them as I'm not depressed, after bursting into tears in his surgery finally he has referred me to a gynaecologist who is testing my hormones but I still want to go and see a cardiologist as the constant fear is driving me crazy......is this something I'm just going to have to live with? Am I dying? Or am I just crazy?? Love to you all nic x
I have been having palpitations since my last child was born 5 years ago, I was 28.  (I have noticed all the women posting on here began this near our 30's.)  They used to be all the time and REALLY bad.  The doctors have never caught it, and all my blood tests have always come out ok.  Birth control and lack of sleep makes it worse.  At first he told me I was just overly aware of my heartbeat, then he said it might be heartburn.  That's all BS since I can feel it in my pulse.  Luckily it has tapered off from being all the time, to now being only around my period.  It can happen a few days before, during, or a few days after.  Some months it's worse, and some months I barely get anything.  I am currently trying taking Magnesium since it is supposed to help with palpitations, muscle twitching, and anxiety.  So far it isn't working though.  If anyone comes up with a solution, please post it!!!  I am like all of you, I thought I was maybe crazy, but am glad to know I'm not alone in this.  The fact that it is more common that we knew is very comforting.  I guess I'll just keep trying to avoid thinking about it and maybe some day they will go away.
Hi I was wondering of u still have the heart palpitations? I've been having them pretty bad the last 2 days. It useally happens before my period and now it's happened after my period. I have to cough to get it back on rythem. I hate it . Sometimes scary and annoying. I don't know if its my hormones or if I have afib. My mom has afib. I just went and seen my cardiologist and got an EKG and wore a monitor for 24 hours. Haven't heard anything yet only on EKG  it was normal.
I am turning 30 this month and this is the first time i have experienced the palps/fluttering like i have.  I have been having them periodically throughout the day for about 5 days now.  I have been on my period and its just about over.  Im hoping that im just over reacting and that its just my homones or something simple but my body has been acting weird with weird symptoms happening the past month (UTI symptom but tested for and no UTI and a few other things). I have only noticed palps in the past when im really sick and only happens maybe once or twice.  What im expericening now is the same feeling but much more often and is kind of annoying and a bit scary when it does it for longer than just one off beatand i also feel like i have to take a deep breath or like it almost takes my breath when it happens.  I have not went to the drs yet as im hoping it goes away with my period.
I m already 47yrs old and i am worry about this too. I tried to eat more fruit like apple orange or grapes 1 week b4 menses and drink lots of water some of the month is alright. I guess it could be low blood count.
I am 45 years old and have gotten irregular heartbeats on and off for a few years. Last week however they have come on very strong and have been strong for past 5 days now. I went to the regular doctor and although she said I should see a heart specialist just to rule out any issues, she said that these types of irregularities are common during menstruation and onset of menopause. I am about to get my wonderful and lovely friend.

She gave me a beta blocker and said that most people do well with them for palpitations, fast or slow heart rate and skipped beats. She said that beta blockers are the most commonly prescribed drug and the most studied drug as well as one of the oldest around. She said that it is so common that it could almost be sold over the counter. In addition she said that these types of heart issues are usually very innocent and go away on their own BUT can be very annoying and scary and thus need the beta blocker and or a drug like ativan or valium to keep from getting anxious over the situation.

I do believe this is totally hormonal and can be treated with lifestyle changes to medicines to diet to exercise. I am the most anxious person with serious OCD and a major phobia to any kind of medicine and I will go to great lengths to avoid any type of meds if I can.I would normally be freaking out with anything heart related but reading so much about the connection to the women's cycle and hormone changes I think we are all a victim of "women's changes and monthly suffering :("

I have been reading this site http://www.34-menopause-symptoms.com/ and it has been very informative. I hope you all find comfort and peace and I will be happy to post again after my meeting with the heart doc and testing to see if I am starting the dreadful changes. Good luck to all of you.
Just saw my cardio who confirmed for me that hormones play a part.
OMG I BEEN REAING ALL THE COMMENTS , I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM MY PALPITATION STARTED AT 29 I WILL NEVER FORGET IT I THOUGHT I WERE GOING TO DIE ,A WEEK OF  2 BEFORE MY MENSTRUATION MY HEARTS BEATS FASS I GET HOT AND SWEATED MY HOUSE HAVE TO BE 65 COLD MOST OF THE TIME BODY ACHE NOV 15 I GO TO HEART DOCTOR TO SEE IS ANYTHING GOING ON WITH MY HEART I WILL BE POSTING WHAT HE SAID
How are things now with your anxiety? I see that this was written in 2012. I am currently having heart palpitations and has lasted for about a week now and is scaring me so bad. Im 33 and am healthy otherwise. I do have hypothyroidism and bad seasonal allergies but nothing serious. I would love to hear how things have progressed with you.
Ive been dealing with this for 4 years now! 2 times in the ER thinking it was heart attacks, After 13 different types of drs I did my own diagnosing...its DEF. hormonal and it is HORRIBLE!
I too suffer hypothyroidism. Had really bad racing heart beat last week for about 4 days. My resting pulse went from 70bpm to 110bpm and upto 150 when moving around. Had my thyroid tested and alls fine. ECG clear too. Just waiting on 24 hour monitor results. Came in my period today! Hate this....feel dizzy and really struggle to breathe. Can't stand the skipped beats. Missed about 100 beats in half an hour last week...VERY SCARY. Do you ever feel like your thyroid plays up but test results come back as normal? Definitely think its all hormone related.
Hi, I also suffer from the same type of thing. Generally a week before, during and after my period I get the the palps, some days I won't get many and other days it feels like it's all day long. I also get dizzy, feel short of breathe, when it's really bad it makes me cough and makes me really tired, I also get chest pain as well, mostly when I am trying to go to sleep. I have also had racing of the heart and what seems like hot flushes and if i wasn't only 33 I would think it was menopause. It started for me about three years ago and like many stories I have read on here I also had a panic attack as well which landed me in hospital overnight since the palps were coming up on the heart moniter. Since then I went back twice thinking I was having a heart attack or something because I was having chest pain with it. I went to so many doctors and so many of them kept telling me I had anxiety. I knew this wasn't it because I am not someone who overly worries or stresses about things although now this had all started I had started to become a bit of a worrier. I mean I went from carefree to heart problems in the span of a week. Anyway after many blood tests, chest xray, heart xray and being put on the halter moniter we did find an incomplete block on the right side of the heart which is causing the irregular beat because the electrical plus sent to the heart is a little delayed. My doctor also told me when I explained how it seems to get worse with my period that the change in blood/hormones can trigger it. I don't know if one has to do with the other or its just a coincidence that I found out one thing while looking into another but it might be something to ask your doctors about.. I still hate it and find it frustrating constantly dealing with it everything month. Sometimes I feel like I am loosing my mind and also experience a confusion of thoughts every now and again, which is the worst feeling I have ever felt and I have had two kids so thats saying something lol.  And again doctors try to tell me this is anxiety or depression related but I am neither of these things. I am tired of being told everything is anxiety. It seems to me us women are always being told we have anxiety. We need to find some real answers...
I didn't even get a chance to read all of the posts because FINALLY there are people who feel my pain!!  I have been dealing with this for 7 years now and it started right before my cycle but back then I didn't realize the correlation; however, I am a firm believer now.  My PVC's are SO bad right before and right after my cycle that I still can't get used to them and like I said it's been 7 years.  I have spoken to my cardiologist and my gynecologist about this problem-cardiologist defintely understands but the OBGN....not so much.  I have a lot of female issues going on and they are advising a hysterectomy and if that guaranteed no more PVC's I would do it in a minute.  Like we don't have enough to deal with during "that" time :-).  Be encouraged.
This page is fabulous. I am 40 yrs old. I have had flutters, skipped beats and pvc since I was twelve. I menstrated early at age ten. I have had echos, halters, ekg, blood work. All I am told is this happens to many. Dont worry. Take this beta blocker if you want take a xanax and bye bye. How can we get the medical community to take notice? Its ridiculous that so many women...just look at this one page here...have to suffer with this. Doctors don t care how frightened we are by this. It can control us. And giving us xanax to help calm us down isn't a solution. If men were the ones dealing with this you can be sure there would have been a study and solution by now.
I am certainly sick of dealing with this and sick of being scared. I have tremendous comfort in just finding so many other women that do the same thing. But we shouldn't have to seek out others so we can calm down. The medical community needs to take notice. We need a solution and explanation instead of a smug smile and told don't worry.
Ten days before my cycle my heart goes nuts with flutters and such. During my cycle and then it slows as I cycle out. Starts all over a week later. Its exhausting. I don't take a beta blocker but am thinking I might start as I need relief. Also I am going to talk to my gyno about hormone treatments and see if she can offer help. Wish me luck.
I thought I was crazy.  Thank you for sharing your comment.  I know how you feel!  Heart palps are so scary, but we have to remember, it's nothing to worry about! :-)
Sharon Fruit helped with my heart Palpitation.
Faithful do you worry the hyst. Can make pvcs and such worse? I am considering it also. My concern is that as we menstrate Our hormones will slowly climb then drop significantly causing us to start our period. If we have no hormone production will it make it worse?  When our hormones drop, we start and the heart stuff gets worse in this time. Making me think the lack of the hormone causes the problem. How will no hormone effect us? I am seeing my gyno next month about this very thing. Lets keep each other posted plz. I would gladly do the hyst if it decreased my problem. But if it could be worse? No thanks
You know, that's the million dollar question!! I don't know if getting a hyst (partial-not removing ovaries) will help or make it worse.  I can't take it getting any worse so I hope and pray my doctor will tell me the truth.  I just read a comment where someone shared getting a hyst. has helped them.  I am so thankful for this board as it has helped me throught some VERY rough times.  Let me know what you decide!
I completely agree with u. When I'm having a rough day and my anxiety is winning I can come here and find some comfort. I will let u know what my gyno says about hormones. I have a feeling she will scratch her head and have no real answer. I plan to keep looking into it though. Keep me posted
Sorry I am posting this here, not sure how to add my comments exactly. I am pretty much desperate. I am trying very hard to control my anxiety, figure out what is going on with these heart palpitations, etc.
I am looking for people to vent with who suffer from this. I don't believe my anxiety causes the palps,  I believe it is the other way around. I have suffered from anxiety most my life, but it's been this past year that the palpitations have become impossible to deal with. My only history with palps was maybe one a night when I went to lay down. I always felt like it was an adjustment for lying down. Five years ago, I had three in a row one night and quit smoking because it scared the crap out of me. It's not till this past year that something has made them increase like never before. I can be perfectly fine and they happen causing me to freak out. I can be freaking out with anxiety and they not happen. There seems to be different ones too. Some feel like little mess ups at what feels like the bottom portion of my heart ( almost feels like the stomach ). Some feel like a mess up followed up by a big warm wooshing in my chest ( hate these), and some like a huge beat at the top middle portion of my chest. On one occasion at work I felt a mess up then it started racing. It got to 160 all by itself. This has only happened once, and I hope it was just anxiety and never happens again. Sometimes, I feel like my heart gets slower bigger beats when I stand up or stretch. I'm starting to believe it has something to do with PMS. I can go a while, week or so, and start to feel like a normal person, then it will happen and my anxiety , and often, depression takes over, setting me back. I just started my period and the last two days have not been good. Not to say I'm completely free of palps during the rest of the month, but I think it's at least worse. My chest feels tight, right down the center making me consider heartburn, etc. I don't understand it. What scares me is I have worried what if I get them and they don't stop. Since then I have experienced two nights where they kept on. So I worry will they just continue to worsen, and can I deal with that??  I've been so overwhelmed at times with fear of dying that I get so tired and think it might be easier, at least in death I won't have to worry. That's how bad it gets sometimes.
well please feel free everyone to join my group. I don't know what else to do. I am already in therapy, which helps. I am also starting to write a book, just trying to seek some relief by getting things off my chest.
Greetings tab. Plz excuse my typos. I'm using my phone.  From what I read of you it sounds like my story. I will tell you this about anxiety and stress. I suffer with both and often times am not even aware of it until I get treatment and it subsides. Then I can feel the difference. I have to takr xanax from time to time. Isually for short periods of time. Once I get myself calm I can quit taking it. Sometimes tgis takes months and sometimes just days. Anxiety is tricky. I can have it very slightly and not even be aware of it until my heart starts going nutso. I am having problems now since nov. I got back on xanax in nov and my symptoms are finally improving. Not back to normal but better. I used to argue with my doc when I was in my 20s that the heart palps are causing the anxiety. He would say stress and anxiety, even slight, is affecting my heart and in turn making my palps worse. Plus once I havr an odd spell of several palps in a row or many in one day I get freaked out and then they get worse and stay that way until I get under control, usually with xanax.  I have had these problems since I was 12. And at times they are worse than other times. Who knows why?
I also have chest tightness. Taking a xanax stops that. Telling me its anxiety. I also have gerd from a hernia which agravates heart palps but for me treating the gerd didn't stop the tightness. Treating the anxiety did.
I am also quilty of fearing they won't stop. But they do. Once I realize the fear is firing up my heart I can get a hold on it and it finally improves.  This is a great site to be on. Go to the arrythmia forums and u will hear thousands of stories like ours and many much worse. Making me realize mine isn't so bad. Some ppl out there truly suffer so much.
I have seen 4 cards in my life and they all tell me the same thing...unless I am having chest pain that doesn't go away...unless I am short of breath...unless I faint...go hime. Enjoy life. Also they will tell me...unless I am having over 20, 000 palps in 24 hours then no need to worry. I have around 10 a day. The card said that is 1% of my daily heartbeats that are not normal. That isn't enough to worry about.
I do suggest you get some test to rule out things because that will give you peace of mind.
I have a current Cardiologist. I have had the all the tests known except the tilt table test. I'm not sure I should have it done. He has only found a leaky tricuspid valve.  I have on an event monitor now. I believe I have a little over a week left out of the 30 days. If they tell me it shows nothing, I don't know what to do. I have noticed that during that lovely time of the month everything is worse. That seems when I get the more often palps.  Anxiety is worse, moody, headaches, weakness. I had the Mirena IUD twice ( total 10 years ). I wasn't sure if it were to blame for my issues, so I decided not to replace it. This has changed my chemistry. With the Mirena there's almost never a period. However I have lost a lot of weight. Approx 15 lbs. This maybe contributes to the fact I can feel what my heart does. I've noticed the last couple days my chest is cramping again. I don't know if it's related to the palps. I get palps with no cramping, then I get the cramping not neccesarily with the palps. I don't know what it is. I've considered my lungs, but when I take a deep breath it actually feel better for a second. I just feel all crampy. Idk if it's gas, as the PMS seems to cause trapped gas. It's really annoying. Sometimes it feels like a squeezing feeling, others just like what gas feels like, and sometimes a little pain, almost seems like it could be inside the breast. I often feel a heaviness in the dead center of my chest. I'm curious as to whether this only happens this time of the month. If it was limited to that then I think I could deal a lot better. Then I know it's coming and that it will end. I am trying to control my anxiety as best I can, but I'm still not at the point where I'm living. I quit my job because of the palps. I left there two times in an ambulance and everyone was just looking at me weird. I was so weak and my brain is more on the fritz than usual, I was worthless, so I left. I am the kind of person who wants to exercise and do things, and I'm still afraid to do any of that. I'm afraid to raise my heart rate. So I try to stay calm and only do light things. Pushing a heavy cart feels exhausting. Even though I have gotten back into my creative side and distracting myself with art, I have removed a lot from my life too. I no longer drink coffee, or eat any chocolate, or alcohol. I don't exercise. I don't feel free to do as I want. I'm afraid to go to far from my husband or away from my home. I'm afraid to be in an area too far from a hospital. I'm afraid to raise my heart rate, so I'm not intimate with my husband. I am seeing a therapist and I have been Vistaral. I haven't taken even one because I have a fear or taking anything. They don't give out Xanax because of the addictive properties. Really I think it's the county I live in, so many ppl are doing illegal things with Xanax and other scripts. It's the only one I trust to take, but I can't get it. I have only been given 4 which I asked for when I was going on a flight. it's the lowest dosage and I break them in half. I need to look into getting the only one I feel comfortable with. I can't take anything right now with the even monitor, but it would be nice to have. I don't like taking anything so the chance of me becoming addicted is slim. I greatly appreciated your response.
I'm 27 and have been having this issue for years, since i was about 16 years old.  I was diagnosed with general anxiety disorder, no heart problems have been detected (yet) but i am not currently medicating and do not really feel i need to.  I've noticed that the heart palpitations and intense feelings of random fear get worse or will pop up spontaneously after a couple months of being just fine, right around the menstrual cycle (the week before, during, or the week and a half after).  I don't take birth control pills and have never had children.  I'm convinced it's hormonal and i will eventually, if it persists after starting a new vitamin regimen, go to the doctor to have them check me out again for a hormonal imbalance.  I've noticed that hunger can make it worse, gas can too.  But i'm recovering from gastritis so this might not be the case for other people.  But it could help someone.  Don't let yourself get hungry to a point where your stomach growls because the stomach can effect the heart's function if it inflames or gas causes bloating (and the uterus' inflammation during the menstrual cycle can cause other organs to inflame and push on various other organs, causing various kinds of distress).  Potassium, magnesium, and keeping well hydrated may help as well.  Check your pulse in the morning, counting for 1 minute the beats, then count it again mid-day and once again in the evening (all while at rest).  Do so for a month every day if your cycle is regular and note the changes that may be present the closer you get to your period.  Take that to your doctor.  Also it would be wise to check your blood pressure once a week for a month to note any major changes that may be taking place.  Those will be good evidences to present to your doctor that something relating to your cycle is causing heart issues.  I've noticed that my pulse before my period will be very high when i'm resting (about 83 beats a minute) but midway through the cycle, before ovulation, at rest my pulse will be down around 70 beats a minute.  My blood pressure is always rather low though, no matter what point during the cycle i have it tested.  Caffeine can make it all worse so i must avoid coffee and can't have too many cups of green or black tea.  If the new vitamin regimen i'm starting works or if i go to the doctor for this i'll report back here to let everyone know what they discovered or if the multi-vitamins did the trick.  It'd be nice to find something that really works and isn't just a band aid.
Well yesterday was my last day with the event monitor. It gave me some false sense of securely, idky. I guess when something happened I could report it. Yesterday I had a pain in my chest, right below collar bone in the left. I was doing tree trimming, but I had to rush to move the car, and it happened. Made me worry, but it went away. Today when I was sweeping and bent over to pick dirty up, I felt it again, so now it's aggravated. Idk what it is, but I don't like it. Sometimes I feel it in my arm pit too.  I don't know what to think. Ugh I hate this !!
Look me up on fb group heart flutters with anxiety.
After struggling with pals, anxiety, panic attacks for a year, I found this site. Where have you been? :) What a relief! So glad I found you all. Together we are stronger! I'm 36 years and I had palps occasionally,beging from like when I was 18, not even had to worry about them because they happened very rare, for example when I fell in love... :) but I had a pretty rough 2013 year, loads of insecurity, changes, moving homes, health problems with my dear ones where I had to be strong. And I was strong for a very long time. Until it got me. It started out with tachycardia, well at least it felt like that, fast heart rate. It started happen very often, several times a day. Went to the cardiologist. He said all is well. No need to worry. IT is because of your stress. Prescribed some pills, some Nebilet stuff, more to calm me down. I have very much against pills, so I had only one, discovered it got it worsen so I stopped. The palps continued. I had days where I would feel great, but the fear of them coming back was still here. Continued my medical research and tested all I could test. All of the results came good. Then another Cardiologist discovered a mild version of PMV. But nothing to worry about he said. It is triggered by your stress. Did countless number of heal your self Technics, spirituality methods, meditations, books, reiki therapies, hoopono ponos, wayne dyers, louisa hays, calm your self calm yourself stuff, and it would work for a short period of time, but, hu hu, here Im again, it got back. and it is still here. and I thought Im loosing my mind. No one would belive what I was going through. everyone had a good advice on how i do that to myself and i need to help my self to get out of it. But how? Today I was crying all day long. Felt miserable. I had a major pals attack today and after work I had to join my husband and son for iceskating, i barely came to the spot where we should meet. I spoiled their whole day. we ended up at the ER and of course all was ok and I got a bensedin injection(for calming down) and that was it. aaaaaarrrrggggh! I.m in my pre period days, I should get my period in a few days and I also caught a cold, so I saw the connection between the menstrual cycle and the heart rate. After reading your stories, I know my first step. Check my hormones level. I did not do those, no one suggested it! I will let you know what happens. to be continued... :) Wish you all peace and carefree feelings, like when we were children, all happy, jumping, laughing....Greetings from Belgrade
Idk how much longer I can take this. Almost two in the morning. Started to get to the point of sleeping, and had a bad palpitation. Felt like 3 in a row, like 3 messed up beats. It scared the crap out of me. This is what gets me. Idk when all the sudden it happens and idk how bad its going to be. What if they get worse and what would I do ?  What if it doesnt fix itself ? Sometimes I feel like they're in my stomach and it sends an odd feeling in my throat. Less often I get onebig thump up higher in my chest, idk what this oneis. I feel llike life is out of my control. I basically and controlled by these things. Idk how im suppose tosleep. I want nothing more to ssleep and wake up the next morning, but idk if its safe. Idk what ive done in life to deserve this constant torture. If its not the palps my chest in constantly uncomfortable. I feel muscles tighten, I feel crampiness orjust random pains. I had pizza several hours ago and im still burping it. I had a big palp last night but it was different. The big thump ones kinda make me jump, because its all the sudden a big knock in your chest, but I was okay , these other ones like what I just had are awful, they are in a different spot and feel different. Like the rythym or something is messed up. I dont understand why do I have different palps?  Im in the ovulating stage of my cycle, so, so far its worse before, during period and ovulation? How is that fair? It seems like every ovulation I have a nasty one and end up crying and freaked out. Is this what my life is?
omg....i swear you just explained everything that i've been feeling for the last few years.  Weird.  I've been experiencing those same symptoms.  I am currently on citalopram for anxiety issues but sometimes I wonder if that's the issue.  After reading all the posts I'm now a believer that my period has a lot to do with it.  The changing of the hormones are causing other triggers.  I too have left the office in an ambulance just to go thru all the testing to find nothing.  Agghhh!
I am almost 40 yrs old and have been dealing with palps (PAC's) since my late 20's but have had tacycardia since I was about 18 yrs old.  I had and EP proceedure and an RF abation to fix the really fast heart rate but it will still jump up to 130 + beats per minute just for the heck of it.  I do find that the palps are worst during my menstral cycle.  I normally have them about everyother day or so (maybe 1 or 2) but the other day, during my time of the month, it was more like a non-stop event for 4 days.  The worst day was day 2 and I was getting about 10 to 20 / minute.  It was like a pause in the beat.   1, 2, 3, 4, 5 pause 1, 2, 3 pause.  DROVE ME CRAZY...and miraculously this time...I didn't panic.  I have xanax as a just in case and propranolol to slow my heart rate if needed.  But this time I told myself I wasn't going to panic and I didn't!  I thought to myself...I've delbt with this for so long and it hasn't killed me yet...so I stayed calm and just kept going and kept breathing.  

My cardiologist has told me that with some women it will be worse during your cycle and I'm also starting to think that I have IBS which makes it worse.  

Did I mention that I have also had two surgeries for endometriosis and have had a uterin ablation?  I don't bleed anymore but the hormones are still there.  If someone has had a hysterectomy and has no more palps...please let me know...something to consider.

I'm begining to think that it is all conneceted!!  Hormomes on top of everything that is broken just seems to compound when my friend "FLOW" is in town .  Presure, constipation, bloating...hormones going nuts and top that with tachycardia, and palps...it's awesome!  NOT!!

This last time I was traveling and wasn't in my normal grove so I don't know what's going on.  I'm in a wait and see mode at the moment to see if it happens like this again.  I've been told that the next time this happens to go straight to my cardiologist to let them run an EKG to see what's going on.

Ladies know that you're not alone!  
it sounds morelike anxiety attacks, which can be also trigger byt the hormonal fluxuations,. when you are stressed, whether physical or emotional, it uses up your stress hormone cortisol. this hormone is a building block used to make others that you need to regulate many of your body functions. when you are stressed you cant make all of the other things you need and when your estrogen and testosterone drop for you period to coming tailspin with slow recovery. also if you are estrogen dominant it can cause anxiety which dominoes into all the other symptoms you listed. you are too young to have such a hard time, i am sorry for you troubles! take time to be good to yourself and learn to move ahead and do what you want anyway. if your gonna feel bad, at least be doing something you want to do. it will get better. dont let it stop you bless you hun
i have the intense hard beats and they are so fast, started a year ago. it shakes my whole torso with each pounding. it used to only happen rarley and for maybe 10-15 mins. i then tried to control heart with breathing slowly and prayer, that helped alot and some months i didnt have it or it would happen once a month for about 5 mins. i started to right down when it happened, a week before period. but this month, it is worse than it has ever been, it happened for 30 mins at walmart with my son while shopping, and i just kept shopping and didnt say anything. knowing it would past sooner or later and i couldnt go lay down anywhere and breath. also thinking well that will be it for a month. i made it again, then last night when i was almost asleep anxious thoughts kept coming to keep me up, stupid things like how would i save my family if the car went into the water, or we were kidnapped- do you guys ever get that?- and then bam! for almost and hour it happened again, longest episode ever, and everyone was asleep. then again today for a half and hour.  how long does the pounding fast thing last for the rest of you that have that? and do you get sore tonsils or glands, and stuffy nose each cycle? mine seem to be worse with even o glass of green tree, or soy products, additives, or food colors(which i rarely eat)
Reading this helped soooo freaking much! i started my menstrual cycle yesterday, and had had my whole left side of my body cramp and heart palpitations. Went to the ER, had urine, blood samples, EKG, and x-rays and my heart is completely fine! The ER doctor said i should ask for B-12 and Vitamin D levels to be checked from my regular doc. i also started taking my  Magnesium supplement again (since i was doing research). i am definitely asking for more tests just to double check. i mean, i know i have anxiety (runs in the fam), but who wouldn't flip out when they feel those terrible palpitations!? And in all reality ladies, you would be surprised how being deficient in essential nutrients/vitamins can make you feel, ESPECIALLY a little before/during/a little after that time of the month! Glad i'm not the only one.
I have had the same problem since I was young. I am 47 now and just hit a brick wall in june I thought I lost my world. axiety like I had never known could not calm down for three days. praying was the only thing that helped. I was so overwhelmed I could not get through my days very well it was survival mode. I ended up going to a homeopathic doctor she did a saliva and urine test for my serotonin and cortisal and my nurotransmitters in my brain, she also did a blood test to see what my levels of vitimans, nutrients were. found out that I was extremely low on serition, vitiman d3, calcium, omega 3's, gabba, epinephrine, and nonephenephrin. plus my ammune (immune) system was down due to all of this. and hormones estrogen and progesterone were out of wack to say the least I was freaking out. this is now aug 2 and I can say my world has changed thank God... I am on the suppliments that I need calcium, d3, multivitiman, serotonin, gabba, cortisal blocker, progesterone, estrogen. my system was so out of wack. I had axiety my whole life up to this point always around my period. she said after we r done supplementing I will no longer be anxious. Praise God. oh and it is all natural...... :)
Hi, I just found this forum, and I could have written exactly what you wrote.  I have been dealing with this for 17 years now.  I absolutely think it has something to do with our horomones as my skipped beats kick in the week before my period so bad.  The rest of the month, I will get a few here and there.  I have seen 6 cardiologists in the past 17 years, wore the monitors for 30 days, not just 24 hours or one week (did that too), and was told it's anxiety.  I have been fighting with them for years that THIS CAUSES THE ANXIETY.  Sheeesh.  I was a happy go lucky kid without a care in the world, and then at the age of 27, I got pregnant and BAM, the heart palps and skipped beats started.  My ob/gyn at the time sent me to the cardio dr, and he attributed it to increased blood flow during pregnancy.  Well, there went that theory, because it hasn't stopped since.  My daughter is now 16.  I am so glad I found this page.  At least I know I'm not crazy and have a place where ppl understand what we go through.  
If you don't mind my asking, how did you get your dr to go the all natural route? I have hormone imbalance, palps and I know all the problems I'm having are from low hormones but can't find a dr to go the natural route, only prescribed meds.
Omg I'm so thankful i found you guys. I was loosing my mind here. Feeling all alone... :(