heart palpitations and the menstrual cycle
hello im 27 yrs old and suffer from heart palpitations, i wondered if these can be linked to the menstrul cycle
as i tend to get them mostly around this time and only occasionally inbetween its quite scary as i have to breath deep to get my breath, i have not been to my local gp about this yet as im afraid of what he will say.

This discussion is related to Heart Palpitations.
If you don't mind my asking, how did you get your dr to go the all natural route? I have hormone imbalance, palps and I know all the problems I'm having are from low hormones but can't find a dr to go the natural route, only prescribed meds.
Omg I'm so thankful i found you guys. I was loosing my mind here. Feeling all alone... :(
Ladies, don't be scared.  Rest assured, I've had heart palpitations since 1998!  I started getting panic attacks that were related to my heart fluttering, and I had no clue what was going on!  Very scary.  It's a mean Catch-22 cycle, isn't it?  Your heart causes your anxiety, which causes your heart to flutter, and so on, so forth.  I was diagnosed with Mitral Valve Prolapse and I do take Beta-Blockers (atenolol, 25mg x1 daily), which help but still don't make all of my symptoms go away.  I DO definitely have problems with my heart palpitating right before my period, about a week before.  It's all hours of the day/night sometimes!  Honestly, it's the worst when I THINK about it and obsess over it - it seems to get better if I keep myself busy and don't think about it.  But yes, you are NOT alone and this is a VERY common thing to happen, especially to women.  I forgot to mention also that I do take birth control (Loestrin FE can't remember the dosage) so who knows, that could make it worse?  I definitely have to say that I don't like being on birth control, and will be getting rid of it as soon as I'm married in 2015!  Hate that stuff!  Peace and love to ALL of you ladies!  I love discussions like this, because it truly shows you that you aren't alone and we are all in this together.  Keep up the great conversations!
Love to you too, nic657!  You are NOT alone in this battle!  It's so hard and scary, but when you know others have it, it makes it that much easier, doesn't it?
I had to come back to this forum today to re-read some of your posts.  I've had an awful week of these skipped beats and have been having severe anxiety because of it.  I took so much anti-anxiety medication on Sunday that today is Tuesday and I still feel groggy from it.  And of course, my period is due on Friday.  I wish the Dr.'s would figure something out for us sufferers!
This thread is a god-send!  I have all the same symptoms EVERYONE is describing, and as stated, docs brush it off as Anxiety.  Well, if I didn't have the PVCs, I wouldn't have the anxiety!!!
Now, the million dollar question; DOES ANYONE HAVE A REMEDY FOR THESE!? Anything at all that helps?  I've been suffering with them for about 5 years.  This month has been the WORST.  Been up three nights in a row awakened by several at a time.  HORRIBLE feeling.  I try to continue to convince myself that they are benign, as my cardio said, but that doesn't help b/c the feeling is HORRIBLE. ANY ANSWERS? Thanks.
I am CONVINCED there is a correlation!  When my PVC's started several years ago it was around the time of my cycle and ever since then they are a beast around that time of the month.  I am so glad to know there are others out there and It's not in my head :-).
It is such a relief that I'm not alone!! Reading everyone similar situations does make me feel a lot better. Thank you for sharing. I have been having this problem every couple months for about 5 years - after merina iud was removed. Bc pills made it 100xs worse to the point i thought i was dying and hardly left home cuz I was so.scared. I started having pnic attacks. I was finally dx with pmdd this year and prescribed xanax for them but that doesn't help the flutters. I never know when they are going to happen other than a couple days before my period starts. They still scare me and I think my heart is gonna stop every time. I just keep telling myself its all hormones and I can now prevent a panic attack but I wish there was more medical answers. I know it is all linked to hormones. I can feel it. Well I hope everyone figures out a way to deal with these horrible flutters. I am very thankful for this forum!!! Y'all are not alone... it sux!!
I am in the same boat you are in...I am 27 and have had pvc's for years...Have been married for about 5 and a half years..People are always asking the when are you having babies? Seriously what you said is my biggest concern.
When i first started experiecing this, I thought i was the only one who dealt with this. It seriously has taken alot of overcoming through the years--as it came with anxiety..etc....What a crazy thing to experience. Only we know.
Hey Ladies!!! I wish I could "Like" every single one of these posts!!! I just want all of you to know that this has been an amazing read and a total God-Send of a thread. Obviously,  I too suffer from heart palps. I have to admit that I am completely convinced it has to do with hormones. I have been getting them since I can remember. Few and far between in my teens and since having my 2nd child, much more often. When I first found out I was pregnant with my 2nd son my heart went haywire. I was having 4-5 palps every MINUTE! This went on for 3 months straight. Then one day.. gone. They didnt happen at all for the rest of my pregnancy. Now I get them occasionally and most frequently around my period. Lame. Also, I am a high anxiety person and chose not to take the traditional medical path. I think through healthy eating, sleeping and vitamin intake anything can be handled. A positive attitude does WONDERS. (Its hard.. I know, trust me)

I will save you the rest of my sob story (which really isnt all that bad) and will give you my solutions!!! Keep in mind, these work for ME. Do your own trial and error and see what works for you!

- LOTS of water. Continual, every day. Every body is different but they will ALL tell you when they need more water. Remember, by the time you feel thirsty, you are already dehydrated.

- Emergen-C (the fizzy drink mix) for whatever reason helps me TREMENDOUSLY.

- I went to a Chiropractor who also does testing for nutritional deficiencies (thats called something but its totally escaping me as to what it is.. CRA? maybe?) Who gave me a few supplements one of them being Hypothalamx for the hypothalamus.

For your reference: "The hypothalamus is a very small but important component of the diencephalon. It plays a major role in regulating hormones , the pituitary gland , body temperature, the adrenal glands , and many other vital activities." - about.com (on the Limic System)

Did you catch that?? "IT PLAYS A MAJOR ROLE IN REGULATING HORMONES.."

I haven been taking my supplements for about 3 weeks now and this period vs last months period (in terms of the heart palps) is amazing. They are not completely gone but Ive had ONE today vs 10-15/day last month.

- Cut down on the white sugars and over processed foods (which we should all be doing anyway)

- Finally, Go out for a walk. Look at stuff. Touch a tree, smell the air, be there. Not in your body. Dont have all your attention on your heart. Be outside. Feel the ground under your feet. Pick up a rock and really look at it. You would be amazed how much better that makes you feel.

I really hope this helped. Much love to you all. xo
This same thing has been happening to me for the past 3 years! One time it was so bad (every 5th heartbeat or so was a palpitation) that I ended up going to the ER. Since then, I've been to MANY doctors (general care, cardiologist, endocrinologist)...the result of which was to put me on a beta blocker. It made me feel tired and terrible and gain weight. I slowly started to ween myself off of the daily dose and now just take it when I have episodes. I've also been tracking my palps regularly to see if there was a pattern. I'll go months without getting them, but then all of sudden they'll start and last for 5-10 days...and always the week before my cycle starts.

Recently a friend who is pregnant told me that her progesterone was low and her doc put her on a progesterone supplement; the doc also told her that the progesterone is what keeps your body pregnant while the placenta is developing...usually takes about 3 months for the placenta to "take over." When you are not pregnant, progesterone levels are highest the week before your period as your body's last ditch effort to stay pregnant if the opportunity is present, which also may explain why some women on here experienced them during their first trimester.

I ran all of this by my husband, who is a doctor, and asked if there could be a correlation between progesterone surges and heart palps, and he said probably...glad we went into debt for that fancy degree :) Anyway, I turned to google and low and behold many other women are dealing with the same thing. I think it would be very interesting to read a study if anyone has found one.

We haven't had kids yet, so taking any sort of hormone supplement is concerning. Until that time comes, I'm just going to continue treating with the beta blocker as they come up. Though I did go to the cardiologist for an echo and had to wear a halter monitor, etc. to confirm that there wasn't anything mechanically wrong with my heart. Finding this thread gives me some peace of mind to not get worked up when it happens again!

As far as other things I've noticed: the palps are worse if I go long periods without eating protein or if I'm dehydrated. Iron supplements seem to help too...not sure why. Thanks for sharing!
One more thing to add, my cardio had me try a calcium channel blocker before he started me on the beta blocker, and I felt it controlled the palps better. Only issue is the at you should NOT be on them if you're thinking about having kids. Causes major skeletal development issues. If you're not having kids anytime soon or if you're finished having kids, it may be worth trying. I still have some on stand-by if my palps are bad and the beta blocker isn't helping as much as I would like.
Story after story, each seemed so similar to what im currently dealing with!! I thought i was going crazy too.. Anyways, i've always had these weird heart palpitations for several years now. I usually feel these when i lay down to go to bed. They can get pretty scary and keeps me up all night. I always read or hear that heart palps are not life threatening, but it definitely doesn't feel like it when i actually going through it.  I've done a heart checkup and resulted that i didn't have anything. Now i'm 20 and in college where stress levels can get pretty serious and thats when anxiety comes in and goes ballistic on me. Anxiety + heart palpitations is a recipe to the most scariest experience ever.  Forever sleepless~

I'm noticing that most of these posts claim that heart palps are mostly felt before/during periods. For me its random.. But i guess they are stronger felt closer to when my period will start. Just recently i noticed(1 month ago) my periods are super light and last like 2 days.. And i'm left wondering.. whats next!? So thats how i ended up to this wonderful blog site.

I plan to see a doctor soon to talk about it and see where to go from there. Hopefully they dont test me with the heart monitoring machine. Chances are i will have nothing.

I am trying to stay optimistic and open to any ideas or suggestions as to what this issue could be. Very thankful to know i am not alone!!
I started having palpitations in 2012 and was told anxiety and depression. I didn't agree but that's what the docs said. I have been to ER countless times and I am so glad I found this board. I noticed now that it all starts a week before and the week of my cycle. I am 43 years old and I have had EKGs, heart ultrasounds, stress tests and everything normal. Stress and depression they say. So happy to have you ladies to share.
sounds like all my sympthoms...im 42...haven't been diagnosed with anything just asthma and anxiety, depression
I love you all and thank God I found this post! My story is really no different than many here, though it sounds like there are different kinds of palpitations. Some palpitations occur on the top part of your heart (atrium) and some occur on the bottom part (ventrical).

When they occur on the top part they are called PACs (premature atrial contractions) and they can cause your heart to beat very rapidly. When you feel these flutters take your heart rate. If it is beating rapidly (maybe over 100?) seek medical attention right away.

When they occur on the bottom part they are called PVCs (premature ventricular contractions) and these are less scary to doctors and they usually say 'nothing is wrong'. With these your heart may feel like it is racing but it is not. It may kinda feel like it skips a beat.

I get PVCs and my dad has had lots of trouble with PACs. The last time I had big trouble with the PVCs I had no idea what was going on. I had been to doctors multiple times who told me nothing was wrong. So when I was having some bad ones and significant chest tightening I DROVE MYSELF TO THE ER! I didn't want to go because I was afraid I would be seen as wasting their time. But it was the best doctor's visit I've ever had. At the ER they whisked me back, gave me aspirin and hooked me up to machines and IVs. The cardiac tech then said, sit real still so we can see what is going on. The whole room stopped and stared at the monitor. I could see they were seeing something. After about 30seconds I said ' I've had 5 since you told me to be still.' The tech looked at me and said: 'you can feel those? Yes you had 5 in that time.' Then the look of relief on everyone's face was glorious. They got me settled, ordered a chest xray, but insisted I lay in the quiet room for a while and the doctor would be in after a bit. Their immediate calming put me at ease and my palpitations frequency decreased. The doctor came in and explained to me that 20% of the population will have PVCs often, they just don't notice them. She also suggested I try heartburn medication. The heart lays next to the esophagus and when there is any irritation (even if you don't feel the burn) your heart may react.

I started daily heartburn treatment and it has helped. When I have a particularly nasty spell I down Pepto like it's water, but it helps.

My story is the same as everyone else's: heart flutters that started in early 20s, went away when I was pregnant, heart flutters most often and strongest right before and during my period, seem to be getting worse as I get older, related to escalated anxiety, feeling of tightness in chest, needing to take a deep breath to regulate my heart, also seem to be related to being sick with colds or flu and gastrointestinal irritation, all of the above. A few things I didn't realize until tonight were that the dizziness, lightheadedness, tingling sensations (I get in hands lips and nose) are all also related. I also didn't know that these are all also symptoms of PMDD. (severe form of PMS). Often treated with anxiety meds. I don't feel it really is caused by anxiety as most here don't seemed convinced either. Once again women are being patted on the head saying ' you're just hysterical dear.' No more.

I am calling my doctor tomorrow to get this under better control. I believe the heartburn theory (hence why some women notice it more when they have had sugar or processed foods!) but I also feel as EmilyKM said that there is a hormonal and possible vitamin deficiency  to this problem.

I am printing out each and every one of these posts and taking this to my doctor's visit. If enough women complain, the drug makers will realize there is profit to this and they will study it; really the only way diseases get studied :( But I am empowered by this post. I am no longer keeping silent by fear! We are not crazy hysterical women, we have a real problem and a valid concern. I will continue to bother my doctors. We can get this under control!

Thank you all, I have never felt better about my condition.
Woow it is so good to hear that I am not alone, really - doc. just tell you (not directly but..." you are depressed, anxious,.. in short "crazy" and no one is helping .... hope we will find a way to settle this one day. I noticed that taking B complex and magnesium helps me - problems are still here but not so intensive. Hugs to all
Hello everyone I am new here.  I feel like crying right now after reading all your posts.  You all have great insight to what I am going through.  I agree with many many things you have said.  I went to see a heart specialist and told her my palpitations seemed to be worse around my menstrual cycle and she said "no" that couldn't be causing them.  Talking about confusion and feeling like the doc's think you are crazy or looking for attention.  I've a holter monitor, ECG done so far all came back fine.  I had a terrible bout this past 2 weeks and HONESTLY thought I would have a heart attack.  Maybe this is due to anxiety which I also suffer from but I question why in the past 3 years have they come on so strong.  Maybe because I am pushing 50, gets worse with age.  I'm soooo happy I have found this website.  Can't believe I did not sooner.  Hugs back.
I have this same problem. You are not crazy, but a pounding heart may feel to be driving you there. I finally got a Doc that checked my magnesium on a cellular level. Low and behold low magnesium. This is often why I crave chocolate during PMS being that it is high in magnesium. Vitamin D is also important around this time, so I make sure I get 3-4 dairy servings a day. Symptoms have improved dramatically. I am now 43 and have an answers to a question I had been asking for 15 yrs. I know this can be a long road to an answer and hope this may help shorten that journey for others. Much luck and well wishes to you all.
i get the same problem with palps before during and sometimes a week or more after my period im 34 and suffer anxiety aswell so they can be a nuisance to live with ive been having them quite a lot lately im on beta blockers for my anxiety propranolol 10mg 3 times a day and they do help the anxiety,i had an ECG done and bloods and doc said same its anxiety but I also believe like a lot of you guys its hormonal because their more around my period try not to worry to much else it makes them worse and cut out caffeine or cut down more so before bed time and watch a lot of those energy drinks like lucozade etc with all the sugar and caffeine in them also chocolate ,and keep hydrated with water because dehydration can make the palps worse aswell and to much salt and sugar too ,obviously if your to concerned then see the gp just for reasurance hope this helps guys thanks
I get this too. I don't believe these are caused by anxiety, but it definitely accompanies them. I think it must be hormonal plus lack of something (I like the mag+iron+B12 idea)....i am hypothyroid, low ferritin and have epstein-barr
HUGE RELIEF! I guess it's little known about, Palpitations and menstrual cycles because even a cardiologist that I went to could not explain the relation!!!!!
My palpitations started with my last pregnancy. Now I have them occasionally, but they seem to get worse about a week before I start my period. I have been thinking about getting my hormones checked too.
I first got palpitations along with a panic attack when I was 23 years old. I went to the ER and came back empty. After my son was born when I was 26, things were normal until I stopped breast feeding.  I got palpitations and went to an internist. She put a Holter monitor on me and I wore it for 24 hours. She diagnosed me with Premature Ventricular Contractions (PVC's) and prescribed Inderal. She said everyone has them. I told her that they bothered me and scared me, thus the Inderal prescription. I took 40mg a day as needed. They always did their job very well. But, I when I turned 50, my heart started acting up again, so hence the 40-80 mg dosage daily. I finally figured out that this is probably hormone related. Hormones and MSG! The pvc's gave me panic attacks, so I take Xanax for those. I am still having regular periods and I am now 51...but I can feel things changing due to the increased pvc's. I take aspirin, black cohosh and magnesium along with vitamin B complex. It is scary and I was down all day today with many palpitations, so more inderal was taken along with Xanax. I also drank some wine last night and I am sure that is a huge culprit. I was at my daughter's house for 6 weeks taking care of a new baby and pretty much had no sugar and had NO palpitations. Like it was mentioned on here, why has nobody done a study on this correlation!? I am convinced there is a HUGE connection but the hormone levels I can do nothing about. It is just nice to know this is a common problem. I have been on Beta Blockers for 25 years and have also had a cardiologist. I also get pvc's when I am getting ill with a cold or the flu.
At some point, I am sure I mentioned sugar correlation...Once I went completely off sugar and off most carbs, especially bread-type products.  I lost 26 pounds in 8 months, felt great and remember that most of my problems went away.  
Fast forward to now.  I have tried doing it again, but have not had near the success I had before...why? I have no idea.  I do believe there is a correlation between sugar/processed foods and arrythmias.
I have had palpitation problems since my late 20s. I went to several doctors and no one could tell me what was wrong. Finaly 3 yrs ago ( I am now 37) I went to the E.R. for the same reason and the doctor there diagnosed me with just PVCS. I saw a cardiologist and had a Catheter Ablation Surgery. They "burned" certain areas in my heart where I was having extra misfires and that helped a lot. ( I was having irregular palpitations all the time, every day) They did tell me that palpitations may come back and I may need to have surgery again. It was a very tough surgery since you have to be awake and not move during the entire 2 hour procedure, plus the recovery at the hospital is just as difficult. I felt my symptoms improved but they are now getting bad again. I now feel them all day long during my period ( that is why I searched and found this wonderful page) I feel out of breath, dizzy, chest pains around the heart cavity and of course this limits me on many daily activities.
I feel my entire body is breaking down, possible thyroid issues ( going to the dr about that this week), I was also diagnosed to be in early menopause in my early 30s which means I have major hormonal imbalances which to me are the real reason for these palpitations but I have never found a doctor that agrees with me on that. I take birth control to control my periods but now that has raised my blood pressure so my dr is suggesting other options. It is a hard struggle to live this way, and I am so thankful I have found out tonight that I am not alone. I am now wondering if there are so many women with the same problems out there , why do drs always act like they have not heard this before making me feel like I was losing my mind! Best of luck to everyone!
I feel your pain....i have had very similar symptoms as yours.  I have seen 5 cardiologist (two in Boston for second opinions) over the past 10 or so years.  I absolutely believe with my heart that it is hormone driven.  My palpitations are much worse during and before my period.  Symptoms just seem to worsen as I get older.  And the anxiety associated with my symptoms can reach debilitating levels.  It is so scary.  I feel like I am going to die.  I don't get why our medical community is saturated with women with the same symptoms, but they all look at you like you are crazy when you try to explain your symptoms.  If it were men going thru this, i think more studies would be done to help with these horrible, life changing symptoms.  One of my cardiologists agreed that it was hormone driven, but he had no idea which hormones, or how to help me!?!?!?  I am on two meds daily to help, but for the most part they do NOTHING.  My blood pressure runs on the low side of normal, so if nothing else, the meds make me more lightheaded by lowering my BP too much!  I am so frustrated and I have so many medical bills that I cannot afford from my multiple visits to the ER.  I have chosen NOT to go to the ER from now on.  I cannot afford the visits!!!
I just joined this forum because I was just diagnosed with a rare syndrome called POTS. I only say rare because it's under diagnosed because most doctors are not aware of it. After reading this thread, it sounds like MANY of you have very similar symptoms to me. POTS stands for postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome. I get tachycardia, lightheadedness/dizziness, fatigue, and brain fog which is exacerbated by postural changes. My symptoms definitely get worse before my cycle and on my cycle and are worse in the mornings. It OFTEN gets misdiagnosed for anxiety disorder or panic attacks. You need to get a tilt table test to confirm the diagnosis. It's very hard to find a doctor with some knowledge of this illness. Mine started after my first pregnancy. It's taken me two years to get a divinities diagnosis. If you think something isn't right, it's prob not. Everyone should look into POTS to see if that can explain your symptoms. Good luck.
*difinitive
This group is a Godsend.  I was getting ready to ride over to the ER and decided to research further.  
Thank you!
I had the same exact thing! My Cardiologist told me to take over the counter supplement called "slow-mag" I take the max dose of that magnesium supp and it REALLY helped!! It has also helped with headaches, and restless leg! It has worked wonders!  I really rec. asking your Doctor. I will warn that It took about 2 weeks for me to start feeling the full effect of how wonderful the mag was, but it has been great! I also stay VERY hydrated. Also, Hummus around that time of month is GREAT! It has natural estrogen in it, and it helps us not have effects from that extreme dip over our cycles(which can be palps). Good luck ladies. You are not alone :)
This thread  has been so helpful. I've been suffering for about 5-6 years. No test has given me any answers. I know birth control is most likely to blame. I got the implant   in my arm and ever since then Ive had heart palpitations and anxiety. Been dx wih pmdd and given Xanax which does help the panic attack that usually occurs as a result of the  palpitations. I seriously felt like I was crazy and alone until I found this thread. You all havegiven me such comfort. I just try to breathe through them and tell myself that they haven't hurt me yet and hopefully everyone is right and they are harmless. Thank you everyone   for confirming that I'm not crazy!!!!
Im 39 years old and after my third child I started noticing heart palpitations and after several anxiety attacks and breakdowns, my cardiologists assured me that it was due to hormonal changes. My mother has them and she stated you just get used to it and she's right. When I feel them I know my period is about to start and it's related to hormones. It's really hard to feel adjust to the onset of PVC when all your life has been normal as far as your heartbeats. I am just about to finish up nursing school and my instructors say the same thing. We are going to be okay gals!
i am 44 and have been getting them for months now...its crazy i get them before..during and after my period..i only have 1 week normal a month....they get so bad that i get anxious and i have very bad mood swings...i also get dizziness...i am so scared to go to the dr though im learnig just to deal with them
I'm so happy to have found this group!  I am 39 and started having palpitations for the first time ever last month. It's absolutely terrifying and I also have that horrible feeling like I am going to die. It happens more often after I eat. A trip to the ER with a pulse rate of 160 was diagnosed as anxiety. The problem is, the palpitations came out of nowhere. No anxiety at all. I'm still trying to find the reason why, but I'm wondering if it's hormonal. My therapist gave me some breathing techniques that have been very helpful. Hang in there everyone. Apparently this is pretty common. Prayers to you all.
Sometimes due to changes in our body....we are triggering caffeine sensitivity...try to cut caffeine for a while including coffe, Soda drinks & chocolate...everything that may contain even a minimal of caffeine...and see the result...cut not decreasing
I get them like crazy around my period.
I get them like crazy around my period.
I have heard of ketosis helping with this.  I started today.  High fat diet and almost no carbs and you lose weight!  Sign me up.  I have all of the same problems. My heart rate was over 200 the other day.  I also downloaded the heart rate monitor for my iPhone.  I hope the diet works!
http://www.dysautonomiainternational.org/page.php?ID=30
I have had palpitations for a year now. Mostly when I lay down. They get so bad that my whole body jerks. I went to my dr and had an ekg. It showed that I have a left bundle branch block but said it has nothing to do with palpitations. He did an echo on my heart and said everything was good. I asked him if my palpitations could be from menopause and he said no. He says its anxiety. I don't believe that one bit. This is an every night thing for a year and it seems no dr wants to help. He told me to come back in a year.
I am 40 and began experiencing heart palps.  I have read that women in peri-menopause get them.  Along with the heart palps, I have a very erratic cycle.  I did go to the emergency room and was told that my EKG was normal, vitals were good and a CT-scan revealed I have healthy lungs and a healthy heart.  I actually feel crampy today (and yesterday) and feel like it is 'that time'.  And guess what else showed up, you betcha, the heart palps.  I really think hormones play a big role in this.  I felt better knowing there is nothing wrong for sure.  It certainly looks like I am not alone either, which is a big relief.
Your doctor is so wrong...heart palps can be really bad during and around your period and as we head into menopause.  Ive had heart palps since i was in my 20s..im 51 now and today im having a bad run of skipped beats due to me starting my period today. I find drinking Calm which you can buy at The Vitamin Shoppe helps me tremendously. I drink it in the raspberry lemon flavor. Its really good and it's a magnesium drink so it calms your heart down and helps it beat steadier.
Im 29, I started having them 3 months into staying birth control junel 1/20. I did the full cardio workup, ekg, 24hr holter monitor, stress test, echo. Nothing structurally wrong. Then I stopped the pill and it gradually went away. 2 months later, I starting to have them again, but not as bad, I feel them when I lay down. And Im starting my period as well. Im also highly irregular, so it might be due to fluctuating estrogen levels. Dont believe the anxiety or coffee is causing it.
Hi ive been having palpitations since my early twenties. I am now 46. This problem has been driving me crazy. No doctor canfigure it out. I dont think they want to tell people the truth. I do believe it is hormonal. I just had a bad palp this morning and decided to look this up. I am glad i found this article. After all the doc visits and ER visits, i do believe it is hormonal. Sometimes i feel like i need an ambulance. I feel these mostly when im sitting or laying down. They wanted to put me on beta blockers years ago. I had the gut feeling not to take them. I am glad i found other people to share this problem. I dont think theres much anyone can do except stay away from caffeine. I had a cup of half-caff coffe this morning. Not my usual. I usually have de-caff. I know my pd is right around the corner too. Good luck to all and thank u all for sharing. Its comforting to know i am not alone. It helps to share with others. Thanks.
Hi! I am 44 and suffer from arritmia and palpitations especially during my period. Went to the ER with a 182 pulse really scary moment! I tried to breathe and couldn't feel air in my system, I thought this is it! Well labs were done and showed my Iron level was at 8 and my Ferritin level was at 2. Normal iron should be 12-14 and normal Ferritin should be 30. Doctor don't even know how I was walking. A Cardiologist saw me and  sent me home with Atenolol 25mg once a day. Also to take "Ferrous Sulphate" twice a day and after 2 months taking Ferrous Sulphate my Iron level went up to 12 and I feel no more palpitations! I was told that having anemia or low Iron levels makes your heart works harder and arrhythmia started to happen. I suggest you all to visit your doctor and have lab tests done just to double check your iron level and also doctors can have an idea of what's going on. Hope this post helps! God bless you all! Xiny
i am 35 years old …I feel very compelled to write this only because it scared the living daylight out of me ..on feb 18 2016 I was sitting at my desk at work and all of a sudden my heart went crazy ….i feel two skip beats and then it went up to about 180 heart beats per minutes. I was so scared , I left my joy and I was taken TO the ER..had an echo , ekg , chest x-ray and MRI done …couldn’t find anything except for mild TR which my doctor reassure me it’s not the reason for my palpitations..he sent me to a GYN specialist who suggested it was probably my hormones ..again more blood work ..shows my estrogen was low. I don’t know what to do ..every time I get the palps I get instantly tired ..out of nowhere ..i can fall right there and sleep for days ..i am trying everything …vitamins .iron pills ..i am going nuts trying to find an answer. Before all this starting to happen one year before I was constantly feeling sleepy and my period stated to coming irregular..went to the gyn same story ..they couldn’t find the problem..around my period I would feel tired , sleepy and literally I can’t do anything …my heart rate would be like 115 walking around and even higher sometimes…ladies I am sharing because I know whoever else is facing this must be in the same boat with me. some days I am o and other days I am scared of something might happen to me….i am on a beta blocker carvedilol 3.125 mg ..1/2 in the morning and ½ at night…I do have acid reflux which I was given omeprazole 20mg once a day..i take it for 2 months first thing in the morning…then I started to see the doctor for constipation which I took linzess for ..i am doing so much better now …I think we need to get stuff moving in our body and cleaning it out so we can make room for improvement ..i don’t know if I am 100% better but I am trying everything so far ….i will keep you posted on my next period and the palps… I am eating small portions ..i am also on a no salt and no sweet diet… My doctor is from LIJ ..please feel free to email me ..***@**** …we can all share info and help each other
You poor girl I feel your pain and suffering. During some of my pregnancies I have had heart palpitations all day every day with no break in between and I was absolutely exhausted and miserable. They are definitely related to hormone levels because after my pregnancies things would settle down and they are more active during my menstrual period now that I am done having children. One of the biggest improvements for me was proper sleep proper hydration and cardiovascular fitness. the more physically fit I am the less I have trouble with palpitations. For some people the heart is a sensitive organ and is sensitive to changes and hormones and reduced activity levels and stress but it doesn't mean we're at risk for death when it happens. Just like anything else in our body, our heart doesn't always perform perfectly but it has enough natural ability to recover and keep your body going after run of palpitations. I am a nurse and an anatomy and physiology teacher so I have researched this quite a bit seeing that I suffer from them too. Good luck and try water, sleep amd exercise. Also when you're in the midst of a run of palps a good hearty cough should help them stop in their tracks. Good luck!
I am 40 years old. I have had heart problems all my life but I did not know it was truly my heart until 2009. Anytime I talked to a doctor about my symptoms, I was told that it was anxiety. I had one doctor tell me that it was all in my head and that nothing was wrong with me at all. One week later, a cardiologist listened to me and he did an echo and... boom! There it was. I had a hole in my heart that was so large that it did not make the classic wooshing sound a classic heart murmur makes. So, I now have a wire mesh implant in my heart and I had to have cryo-ablation done on a nerve in my heart that kept me in Afib all the time. Recently, I started having issues right around the time I start menstruating. Which has become very irregular. So, my first thought is that something is wrong with my implant or I have another nerve that is going haywire. The cardiologist cant find anything wrong this time but I have had 3 attacks like this so far. I am glad to find this post and see that maybe there is another explanation but it scares me too. What if I shrug it off as hormones and just try to deal with it and it really is my heart?! Does anyone take hormone replacements? I have taken progesterone for over a year for extreme pms symptoms (PMDD). It and prozac has helped so much and I had wondered if maybe I needed my levels checked again since my cycle is becoming so irregular. Thanks for the info ladies and for sharing. Maybe we can help each other. Good luck to all :)
I am the same exact age. I will have bad palpitations that hit me out of no where, especially right before my period. I am usually tachycardic with my BPM resting is around 105. I was diagnosed with Mitral Valve Prolapse 11 years ago when I was pregnant with my middle daughter. I can go months without a single symptom and then out of no where boom my heart is skipping beats several times a minute for days on end. I am starting to suffer from anxiety attacks especially when I'm driving. This is so frustrating!
Not sure if this comment will be viewed as most of the comments are from over the years but I wanted to share my experience with heart palpitations.  I can so relate to what seems to be menstrual related heart palps but I also get them throughout the month as well. I do have mitral valve prolapse and also suffer with anxiety and panic attacks. The heart palps fuel the fear with the anxiety.  Certain menstrual cycles aren't as bad as others. I'm 41 and assuming that peri menopause is beginning.  My heart has skipped and flopped so much today it makes me so tired.  My cardiologist over the years has assured me that everything is fine but it's so hard not to panic when my heart is doing acrobatics in my chest. Sometimes it's a fish like flop,others times it's a powerful thud and sometimes just the skipped beats. I've had the palps for 20 years now and still haven't gotten used to them. I just wish I could find out what the correlation is between the palps and my menstrual cycles.  I also have started getting migraines again periodically with my periods and I haven't had a migraine since my 20's.  I feel for all that suffer with this as I know how scary it can be.
I am 51 and have had palpitations since I was 41. I am going to have a 2 week monitor shortly just be sure PVCs and not Afib or something. I'm healthy, run regularly, so I doubt it.  Anyway, I'm going through menopause (go 3 months without periods), but bam - once a period is about to start, huge bout of PVCs. I HIGHLY recommend taking Magnesium.  It helps a lot and there is a lot of research to support it.  I find the powdered magnesium (sold as a brand "Calming") is the most effective - you can get it on Amazon or at Whole Foods/Sprouts. I take three 100 mg supplements a day, plus two teaspoons of the Calming a few hours before I go to sleep. So I get around 500-750 mg a day (if stools are too loose, I cut back a little).  Just note that it can cause diarrhea. I have found that issue has mostly gone away as I have become accustomed to taking the magnesium.  Research its effects. I also take CoQ10 and calcium. Again, research what works best for PVCs and you start to see the relationship with those supplements.
hello everyone …my name is ash ..I am just updating you guys on the heart palps I used to get …so far thank god it’s seem to went away …I was tested for everything under the sun…all test came back good (thank god)…the only thing I can come up with is you have to stay away from MSG and try not to eat a lot at once …every 7 to 10 days I would get a slight elevated heart rate which would go about 90 or so .. goes away in about an hour or two ,,I believe its caused by what I eat …i am still off sugar and salt ..and i still take 1/2 of the beta blocker in the morning and at night ...take care everyone and best of luck ..thank you everyone for sharing your story ..
i use very hot water with lemon juice. helps significantly.
i use very hot water with lemon juice. helps so much
Hello, i am 20 years old. Ever since I was 15 Ive had a horrible panick disorder. I feel like something is wrong with me and like Im going to die. Its hard to talk about without getting anxiety but I know what its like and would like to help. And yes, skipped beats...palpatations, they can be directly related to your menstrual cycle. I know this because there was a time I was going to my doctor multiple times a week with questions because I was such an anxious wreck. She told me heart palpatations are very common and quite normal. Especially around your menstrual cycle. Just breathe, know your okay. I find taking a cool wet washcloth and wiping my face neck and chest area is very soothing when Im freaking out. Also know that its your bodys way of telling you youre alive. I do still recommend talking to your doctor as there are many things they can do to help you cope with having a panick disorder.
Biofeedback, counselors, positive friends and family, and a great book called Overcoming Far, Worry, and Anxiety- by a lady whose last name is Fitzpatrick- helped me. The book is awesome if you struggle with anxiety!!!
38 yo female here with heart palpitations pretty much all month, save one week between cycles.  I have a murmur and have had noticeable palps for as long as I can remember.  I had an even worse time with them while pregnant with my two children.  Both pregnancies, I had multiple tests and echos and it was determined that all my palps were benign and mostly originated in the atrium (PACs). I still get panicky and nervous when they happen, especially multiple incidents in a short period of time.  I am going back to the cardio on December 28th and hope to get further assurance that everything is benign and life can keep moving forward.  The worst part is feeling like you keep having to follow up to ensure that something is not structurally wrong with your heart, but it's ALWAYS better to err on the side of caution and be "in the know".  Best of luck to all with your issues and always remember you're not alone!
I have a great dr here in MN. He told me that what tends to happen is a perfect storm that allows the situation to happen. He said often people very anxiety- no palps, our their hormones are a little off- still no palps, or they get indigestion from eating- no palps. But, if you combine all 3- it can create the right environment to be too much of a load- and you get the palp. That's why you don't get them constant. I tend to notice i get burpy after... See if you are having trapped air that's pushing on the vagus nerve- or giving you a vagal response.
Get rid of or help stop more palps by bearing down your chest like your grunting or pushing out all your air- or plug your nose and try to breath out through your nose still- that helps bear down.

Or try ice on your wrists. It's a misfire in your nervous system- so these things help shock your nervous system back to right again.

Exercise for sure!! Doc said that is one of the best things for palps- and it truly is!! Learn to let go. I believe in God- and I believe He knows when I'm gong to die- and that is a precious thing to Him (the bible says so). This is comforting to me. I know I'm not going to die before it's time, and I know God has good plans in all of this... I just have to trust.