palpitations, flip-flop or flutter
Can anyone tell me whether the terms "palpitations", "flip-flop", and "flutter" are interchangeable.  When I think of palpitations, I imagine them to be a rapid heartbeat that is persistent for a period of time, and not just a couple of beats that are wacky.  A flip-flop seems to me to be where the heart gives two or three solid thumps, while contrariwise, a flutter is just a few light rapid beats.  What causes the differences?  Are their different implications?
Technically palpitations refer to being conscious of your heartbeat. Many people don't notice their heart beating (amazing to me!) but some people feel it. A flip-flop is a good description for a PVC for example: a sudden flip or thump that often comes with those. Flutters may be short bursts of tachycardia.
Do you happen to know at what point the frequency of any of these might indicate a problem?