Heart Rhythm Community
pvc

A community of people experiencing Heart Rhythm concerns. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: symptoms, management, and treatment.

pvc

hi dr
About 2 moths ago, after i went for a mile run i had a rapid and irregular heartbeat for about 15 minutes afterwards. This started about 2 minutes after i stopped running and continued for 15. i felt dizzy with this episode and it felt like my heart was beating out my chest. Ever since then ive been having palps daily. ive had three ecgs, a holter monitor, blood tests and xray. all came back normal. the holter picked up the pvc and my doc said they re a variation of normal and nothing to worry about. in your opinion do you think i need further tests?? or do you think they're benign in nature. im 25 year old male and pretty freaked out about this.

thanks
Tags: PVC
You have posted to the members forum.  If you would like a doctors input then you will want to post to the doctors forum but I do believe there is a fee.  That said, it sounds like you may have an svt, supraventricular tachycardia that may be caused by an extra muscle fiber in your heart allowing the signal in the heart to get caught in a loop.  The pvc your doctor caught is possibly what triggered the tachycardia but they are different conditions and unless you are in a tachycardia episode the doctor can not diagnose it and you will be given a clean bill of health.  Do you recall when you had the episode did it start and stop on what felt like one beat?  This is classic accessory pathway svt and can easily be fixed with an ablation.  However you do need to get it diagnosed for that to happen.  If you have episodes at least once a month then you can ask for an event monitor to try and catch the episode.  If they are extremely rare you may have to wait to see if the issue gets worse as you age. It may or it may not.  I personally had avnrt and had episodes of rapid heart rate ever since I can remember but only had it corrected once I reached my 40s and it started to happen every couple of weeks.  In general the pvc ectopics and the svt are not considered a health threat in a healthy heart so just try to maintain a healthy lifestyle and you should be fine.  If you notice a tachycardia episode happen while you are working out definitely stop but other than that keep up the exercising and follow up with the doctor if your symptoms persist or get worse.  But if you do have classic accessory pathway svt first and foremost try to keep in mind they pose very little threat to you but do be mindful to keep an eye on it and seek medical help if you can't get an episode to stop or the episodes start to happen more often or your symptoms get worse.   Take care and keep us posted on how you are.  
its called TACHYCARDIA.

its very hard to understand what triggers it, but often it happends without any reaason.

if you have a STRUCTURALLY NORMAL HEART, with NORMAL echo..

its a good sign.