Heart Rhythm Community
racing pulse that wakes me up

This patient support community is for discussions relating to heart rhythm issues, arrhythmia, irregular heartbeat, implanted defibrillators, pacemakers, and tachycardia.

racing pulse that wakes me up

I HAVE BEEN WAKING UP WITH A RACING PULSE FOR ABOUT THE LAST SIX MONTHS.  THIS USUALLY  HAPPENS ABOUT THE TIME I WOULD BE WAKING, 5:00 - 6:00 A.M.  I WOULD COMPARE THE FEELING IF SOMEONE WAS TO COME UP AND SCARE YOU.  I AM MID 50'S AND GENERAL HEALTH IS GOOD.  I TAKE A WATER PILL FOR BLOOD PRESSURE AND SYNTHROID.  I AM NOT OVERWEIGHT.  COULD THIS BE SLEEP APNEA OR ANXIETY?  I DO NOT HAVE SINUS PROBLEMS OR BREATHING PROBLEMS.
It could be any number of things, including stress or a sleep disorder. You should probably talk to your General Practicioner so that he/she can suggest the best specialist.
THANK YOU, I HAVE PUT A CALL INTO MY DOCTOR AND SEE WHAT HE THINKS.  I AM THINKING STRESS BUT THANK YOU FOR YOUR COMMENT.
This is exactly what happened to me when I was diagnosed with IST (Inappropriate Sinus Tachy).  My heart shoots off for no reason and at any time.  The fast heart rates would wake me up and then I noticed I'd get them during the day for no reason at all, or my pulse would go really high with minimal activity.  
I would see a cardiologist and get checked out for IST or SVT.  Heart rates shouldn't wake you up at night for no reason at all.  Wearing a 24-hour holter monitor wouldn't hurt to see if this is the cause.
I have the same symptoms -- waking around 5 or 6 am with a "racing" heart. I had a holter monitor test and it showed two or three arrhytmias happening at nearly the same time -- atrial fibrillation [A-fib], atrial tachycardia and PAC's, Premature Atrial Contractions. I got so I can prety much feel the difference now.
   The Afib is the prevalent arrhytmia for me. I learned how to make it stop; get up and go to the bathroom. It seems like the heart is irritated by a full bladder and/or intestine. It also helps to eat less and to eat earlier at night, between 6 and 7 pm.  
   Another thing that helps to reduce the amount of afib for me is to lie on my back with my arms behind my head, expanding the rib cage and breathing deeply for a few minutes. The fib and the tachy always go away within five minutes.
   My local cardiologist and the "expert" senior cardiologist at the big Miami Veterans Admin teaching hospital, associated with the U of Miami Med School, knew nothing of these mechanisms because cardiology is way behind the curve on the complexity of arrhytmias. It's sad. They just want to do the old ablation surgery on the heart and/or prescribe clunky drugs that mask the real causes of afib.
i think a lot of people have this problem. i do and i'm on beta blockers. i would see your gp. but, i just attribute it to your body waking you up (but i'm not a doctor). i know though that i've have three 24hr holter tests, and no doctor as ever mentioned this upon seeing it recorded.
I have also had three holter monitor 24 hr tests and no "cardiologist" mentioned the early morning mechanism. Why not?
   It would require  meticulous care and research to learn the exact mechanisms causing the early morning arrhythmias. It would take time and attention. Doctors cannot do that without charging an arm and a leg. They have to maximise profits and maximise their time efficiency. A careful, complete, effective cure for Afib can't happen in this business model.  But nurses can track down the cause of the mechanism just as well as an overpriced specialist. I know, that's what happened to me at my doctor's office...I learned more from his assistant than from the bigshot Dr..